“Loved Every Minute!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 32% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
South Lanarkshire, Scotland
“Loved Every Minute!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at El Dorado Seaside Suites from 14-28 July 2012 and had a truly amazing time!

Check-In
We arrived by coach along with some other people from our flight. Our luggage was taken from us and we were given a ticket for it. We were all then taken to a lovely air-conditioned room with seats and given a welcome speech by a member of staff. We were given a welcome glass of bubbly and a cold towel whilst he explained everything that we’d need to know about the hotel and the check-in process. We got some forms to fill in and sign (took less than 5 minutes) and after this we were taken outside to wait on the bell boy to take us to our room on a little golf type cart. Our luggage was delivered to us shortly after.

Our Room
We had an Oceanfront Suite on the first
floor – Room 2915. The room was AMAZING! It was huge. The bathroom area was lovely – ‘His & Hers’ Sinks, Huge Shower and a separate toilet. We had a huge king size bed, which we almost got lost in! A step down from there and there was a little ‘living area’ with a sofa and the huge Jacuzzi bath tub. The balcony was very spacious and had furniture to sit out. My only minor complaint is that we booked an ‘Oceanfront’ Suite, which I would have expected to be on the ground floor and to be able to walk out to the beach/ocean however we were situated on the first floor so it should really have been described as an ‘Ocean view’ room, rather than Ocean front. And even at that, to be honest we didn’t have much of an ocean view either due to all the palm trees that surround all the buildings which is a bit of a shame. The reason we booked the room type we did was purely down to the fact that was all that was left – we didn’t actually realise that this was classed as a ‘high end’ room. If we ever go back I personally wouldn’t pay the extra for an oceanfront room again, I would just go for a standard room as they’re all the same inside anyway.

Bars
There are several bars dotted around the resort, most are outside however there are some which are situated within the air conditioned restaurants. We spent most of our time in the evenings at the main bar and entertainment area next to the Sandwicherie. We found the service at the bars to be good, whether we tipped or not. If we sat at a table we found the waiters to be very attentive and came and asked us if we wanted drinks pretty regularly. If we sat at the bar itself, the barmen were also very attentive. Half the time they just brought us re-fills without even asking!

Restaurants
I have to say that I cannot fault the food at all. I find it hard to choose a favourite restaurant because we literally loved them all.

Mia Casa (Italian) – We ate here 3 times and all meals were fantastic. This is probably the busiest of the restaurants so you need to get there before 7:30-8pm otherwise you’ll have a wait on your hands.

Klay Talay (Asian) – We ate here twice and again, cannot fault the food. Only minor complaint was the first time I had spring rolls for a starter and they gave me two spring rolls, the second time I ordered the same thing but only got one so consistency maybe isn’t their strong point lol. A good point worth mentioning was I advised the waiter that I am allergic to fish (when he asked why I hadn’t eaten the sushi appetizer) and he was so nice, he told me things to avoid on the menu and also asked if I had any other allergies that they should be aware of. I thought this was a nice touch.

Arricefes (International) – We ate here twice and both times I had the chicken stuffed with vegetables, it was to die for. Absolutely loved it. Service was second to none. We ate here most days for breakfast as it has a buffet option which is good if you just want a quick bite, but there is also an a la carte menu for breakfast as well if you prefer that. Lunch is good here too, they have a lovely salad bar at lunch which sometimes is just enough but again there is also an a la carte menu as well.

La Carreta (Mexican) – We ate here 3 times. The nachos they serve as an appetizer are amazing, with the ‘pico di gallo’ – yum yum!! The fajitas were fantastic. They are on the menu as mixed fajitas (chicken, beef and shrimp) but you can ask for just one of these options and they’re more than happy to oblige. Also, one night I really liked the sound of the chicken dish but it was served with a lobster sauce which I am allergic to. I asked if it could be served with a different sauce and I was told ‘of course!’ The waiter gave me several different delicious options of what sauce they could make for me and I just thought this was fab. It turned out to be delicious!

Vida Garden (Grill) - We ate in the Vida Grill twice and on the first visit opted to pay extra for a rib eye steak (150pesos/£7.50pp) A few nights later I had the ‘free’ flank steak and I much preferred it so wish I hadn’t bothered paying extra the first time. £7.50 for a steak is still excellent value for money compared to steaks back home though so it’s not like I wasted a lot of money to do this. We ate here for lunch on the last day and wish we’d tried it before then for lunch as we really enjoyed it.

Sandwicherie (Burger Bar) – This is open mainly for lunch/early dinner. It opens at 11:30am and closes at 6pm. We ate here most days for lunch. The pizzas and burgers are amazing! My partner loved the chicken burritos. Sometimes it’s nice to get a break from the usual gourmet food that they serve at dinner and just get a nice casual burger and fries! A point to mention – don’t salt the fries as they’re already salted. I made that mistake on the first day lol.

Beach BBQ – We tried here once and it was great as well. They put on different things every day. It’s mostly self-service with likes of salad etc. but they do serve you the hot things from the grill, just ask for as much as you want and they’ll put it on your plate.

Room Service
We had room service two or three times and it was just as good as the food in the restaurants. They always quoted 30-40 minutes for delivery but it always arrived within 20 minutes or so. They bring the tray into your room and lay everything out on the table for you to make sure your order is correct. My only minor complaint is that they don’t leave the tray and the metal covers. It makes it difficult to leave your plates etc. outside your room for you to collect if you want to go out or don’t want to be disturbed again. You don’t have to leave the plates outside though because they come back within 45 mins to an hour to collect them from you.

The Pool
We spent our days at the activities pool. Most days we could get one of the kabana beds although the standard sun beds are on short supply here as there isn’t much room for them in the area surrounding the pool. I don’t really like lying out in the sun much anyway but I could imagine this would be frustrating for people who do. I liked to spend most of my time when out in the sun at the swim up bar lol. The staff at the swim up bar are amazing, especially Jose. Half the time your drink would be topped up without you even noticing! The entertainment team are at this pool and arrange pool volleyball, water aerobics and the likes which are good fun. They don’t make you take part if you don’t want to. We didn’t try the other pools so can’t comment on those.

The Beach
The beach is fine. We spent a couple of days here but it was at the area just by the activities pool which is a bit quieter. The sand is like crushed coral so quite rough on your feet but it was not too bad. I preferred the beach at night, it was lovely to sit under the stars with a few drinks and chat to people. My boyfriend proposed to me on the beach one night so it will always hold some nice memories for us!

Overall, we had an absolutely AMAZING holiday here and one we’ll never forget. You never know, we might be back there in a couple of years for our honeymoon – I certainly won’t be ruling it out!

Room Tip: I personally wouldn't pay the extra again for an Ocean Front room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

4,263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,100)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

We booked a swim-up suite but there were problems with the water levels in the lazy river for the first few days so no water and workmen opposite our terrace. Terrace area was filthy where people above had thrown their cigarettes.
The room was ok although the fridge was broken and the same dead cockroach was in the bathroom for days until I removed it.
The concierge said a kettle could be brought to the room. A week later it wasnt there and we gave asking although a couple of times we had random visits from room service with teabags.
Service was some of the worst I've ever experienced. We gave up on Arrecife as I sat there for an hour once waiting for a coke. We found we had to eat at 6pm or they had run out of food. When we ate at 8pm one night I was presented with two tiny lumps of chicken. When I asked where the potatoes and veg were that i also ordered, they had run out and hoped I wouldn't notice. Half of the time, you wouldn't get what you ordered but something entirely different and staff were rude if you asked for what you ordered. everything is cooked with WAY too much salt.
When we asked to see the DVD library, the receptionist gave us 2 DVDs in Spanish and tried to charge us.
New Years Eve was a fiasco. Half the things that were meant to happen never did.
The final nail in the coffin was when the concierge ran after me and forced me to sign a legal disclaimer saying the resort were at no way liable for anything as we were about to leave the resort to get our flight. The message was clear: if you don't sign, we won't let you leave. I did not appreciate this implicit threat and it wasn't the way I wanted our honeymoon to end.
Do not come here. It is dreadful.

• Stayed January 2012
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of your visit from January 2012.
Firstly I'm truly very sorry for what seems to have been a disappointing honeymoon. I never like to hear we fell short of expectations .

I have carefully considered each and every comment mentioned and I can assure you that I have taken action where necessary

With regards to the agreement form, if we provide any gestures to our guests to make amends for a reported incomvenience we ask the guests to sign a form stating that they are agreed with the action taken and gifts received; We can not force any one to sign such a document.

I appreciate your comments and we hope that we have the opportunity to host your holiday in the future
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Everything was amazing, service, weather, staff, food and the beach. Stayed here for a week and it was honestly faultless. Worth every penny. If you go make sure you ask about coco bongo! Complete holiday blues now that I'm home.

If your thinking of visiting, take my word for it, you will not regret it! :D

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Just got home today and me and my wife want to go back straight away , but nope it's back on the treadmill of life till hopefully next year , we will be back to this resort without question ! The resort was the perfect size no queues for anything (restaurants , bars , sun lounges etc...) staff were fantastic , food superb, beach brilliant it's got everything and more thank you for a fantastic 11nights see you's soon

• Stayed August 2012
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We returned from an excellent holiday at EDSS two weeks ago and would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a couples holiday. This was our first time in Mexico, so we weren't sure what to expect but to our delight found a place that met and often exceeded our high expectations in many ways.
ROOMS
We stayed in a junior suite (the least expensive) and this was a big room with a huge bed and twin jacuzzi - with an en-suite shower etc. Plenty of space for our needs and the room was kept immaculately clean by Jose. The hotel grounds are beautifully kept by a friendly team -everyone says 'hola' to you when you walk past them.
FOOD
You have a choice of three restaurants for breakfast, four for lunch (including the beach BBQ) and five for dinner. We really enjoyed the variety and quality of the food which was enhanced by the enthusiastic service. TIP: Try and get an outside table at the Asian restaurant with a view of the sea. Portion size was more than enough for us and a couple of days we were happy to stay by the lap pool and enjoy a French stick rather than get a bigger meal. The restaurants employed a 'dress code, but this just meant collared shirts and Bermuda shorts for the men - all the women enjoyed dressing up in the evenings.
BEACH
Whilst this was kept immaculately, the sand was very course and you really needed to wear sandals to bathe. The double beach beds were great and we particularly appreciated the beach butler service. TIP: Enjoy a Bucks Fizz on the beach before breakfast one morning...
WEATHER
We spent the month before we arrived anxiously checking forecasts which were predicting bad weather for this area in mid-August. We were lucky to arrive the day after a big storm and enjoyed generally sunny weather throughout our holiday. There was a brief shower late on a couple of afternoons and one evening was very wet but temperatures were around 30 degrees centigrade most days. The only disappointment was that the sea had been stirred up by the storms and you couldn't see much when snorkelling.
EXTRAS
The hotel is all-inclusive but it is well worth paying for a couple of 'specials' - we enjoyed a romantic dinner on the beach one evening watching the sun go down and listening to the waves. We highly recommend trying the new spa - it might cost a lot but the couples experience we had was pure bliss! The only other extra is of course the tips for the staff - we found that these were not expected but much appreciated.
Overall, if you haven't yet booked EDSS then what are you waiting for? If you have already booked then we hope you enjoy the hotel as much as we did.

Room Tip: Junior suites are great! Choose the swim up suites only if you want to spend more time near your roo...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I have never gone to an "all-inclusive" resort but needed some time where someone took care of us. We made the right choice, not only was the resort "EXACTLY" how it was described and showed in the pictures, the service was above reproach!

Every person who worked at Seaside Suites provided the utmost care and regard to our happiness and comfort! From the Personal Concierge to the hostesses at the restaurants, they remembered our name always tried to top their service from the last time we had seen each other.

The resort is maintained daily, from the beach (which is hand groomed every hour) to the walkways (cleaned several times a day) and foliage which is trimmed and maintained every day!

Room Tip: We booked the beachside suite...amazing room and you back up to the poolside suites (and pool side b...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have recently arrived home from our honeymoon here and agree with most comments up and down this site but I have to be honest I was expecting a little better. I have to admit the food was very good with a great choice and most staff very friendly. Swimming pools ok and good choice of drinks on bars. Excellent room service (daily) and very well maintained resort. We did ask to be moved after arriving as we were allocated a third floor room starring at trees in an already dark room and we were moved to a much better room with hardly any hassle. The beach is shocking, Most beaches in the med are far better and it was a big shock to us. The sand bags look terrible, the sand is rough and the enterance to the sea is over broken coral and stones which doesnt make getting in and out easy. We were told by our travel agent that it's a dream hotel but I have stayed in far nicer resorts elsewhere.

Also the entertainment on certain nights is quite poor (the dancing in particular). We did however enjoy the Mayan show with the meal on the beach. We were also told by the travel agency that we would get a honeymoon upgrade with a meal on the beach. Apparently everyone in the resort gets told the same thing and they admitted it's a problem as it's not the case, you will not get it unless you pay.

Sorry to say wouldn't go back to this resort as it really isn't value for money.

Room Tip: Anything starting with a 4 is on the outskirts unless you have a swim up room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!