“Very relaxing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Philadelphia, PA
“Very relaxing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We were at EDSS from 11/18-11/26 and had a great time! Service is overall great and the enthusiasm and devotion was visible in employees. We felt valued as guests, and any of our questions or requests were promptly responded to. Room was kept clean by housekeeping, and everywhere else on the resort was modern and clean,including the public restrooms.
The beach was beautiful, with great shots for me as a photographer during sunrise, full sun, and sunset. The water was clean and clear, and although a bit pebbly with somewhat coarse sand, when we wore our water shoes we had no problems. My favorite part of the resort by far was the snorkeling. You can walk about two to three blocks long into the ocean before it gets to even five feet, where there are multiple coral reefs with beautiful individual and schools of fish! I saw about 20 species of beautiful fish, and one day I was surrounded by a school of a million tiny fish where I couldn't even see anything ahead of them! You can also see large schools of white chubfish and white angel-type fish right at shore, which will swim around you, especially if you feed them bread. You can also find them along the rocky edges on each side of the resort beach with a few other types of fish, one a small striped yellow and black fish. Try to get biodegradable sunscreen before your trip (will be cheaper) as regular sunscreens have contributing to damaging and destroying a lot of coral reefs. These sunscreens usually have titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in them. They tend to be less waterproof in my experience, so I also wear an spf surf shirt when out in the water.
One thing about the beach is that because you can reserve a beach bed by 7AM, many people throw stuff on a bed early in the morning, and then abandon it for hours. This infuriated me at the beginning of the trip, but by the middle of the trip we did it for a few days as we realized that we would never get a bed by the end of the trip if we didn't. When we didn't do this it was sometimes difficult to find lounge chairs on the beach, but never impossible as you could walk to a less popular part of the beach/resort where at least you had a chair and an ocean view.
There is a beautiful meandering path surrounded by woods/mangroves leading to the new spa....it takes about 7-8 minutes to walk to, and they play peaceful music/sounds. I'd recommend taking a walk through it one day-very serene, and if you look closely you can see some iguanas and colorful birds.
Food was great overall-from the quality and selection to the presentation! Our favorites were the Italian restaurant, but we also loved the Vida Garden Grill for lunch and dinner, and the Mexican restaurant for lunch. The outside grilling was also a favorite of my husbands, with barbecue-type foods and fruit. We were not so happy with the food and service at the Mexican restaurant for dinner, and at the Mexican and Italian restaurants we sometimes had a longer wait for food than expected. We wished the sandwicherie had more options for lunch and recommend that they use a barbecue grill on the burgers to enhance taste. I was happy with the breakfast at the Sandwicherie (nice to eat outdoors in the morning) and La Carreta, but my husband said he wished that they had more variety/better quality and eggs made to order. We only had to wait to be seated twice at dinner, both times under 15 minutes, where we could have drinks while we waited.
Our only recommendations would be that we sometimes felt that people were always trying to sell us stuff, such as with the personal concierge and the spa. I felt that the spa prices were very overpriced so we didn't get anything done, but I did see the new spa when going to the gym in the same building-it was beautiful!
I'd recommend making a half or whole day trip to Akumal, a quaint beach town about 10 minutes south of the resort for about $15 per cab ride. There are cute shops there, a fun opened air restaurant, and a nice beach with good snorkeling for sea turtles and rays. You can also get to Playa Del Carmen in about a half hour.

Room Tip: If you get a swim-up suite request a room not close to a pool bar.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Polish first
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed in Cancun for three weeks at different resorts and this one blew our mind, can' wait to go back.
There were bars and restaurants everywhere throughout the resort, they were open most of the time, we had stayed at Rui Las Americanas and nothing was ever open, it was horrible.
In the evenings they have something fun to do till 2a.m, there are jazz saxaphones, reggae shows, light shows, then a live dj till two in the morning. We had a blast and we're old
The house wine and champage were great. They light up the bars and beaches every evening and it was gorgeous.
A few things we did not like.
It's impossible to get a chair/bed in the sun as europeans put their towels down during the night then don't return for hours. We tried every morning to get a bed at 7 am as the signs state, and they were taken, we went to the office and they never did a thing about it. All the people in the back in the shade (Americans) were complaining every day about this.
There is no free internet anywhere you have to pay, seems like a nickel and dime item. the beer drinkers complained as there's only one kind of beer, so if that's important you will not be happy. We were in building 2114 and loved both of our representatives, they were the best.
The spa was included in our package and was supposed to be open but was not.
People we loved, Miguel formerly of Fisherman's, Angel and Estelle at the beach and Thomas at the Vida Garden. Roberto was our maid and did the most fantastic job, a towel arrangement, flowers, the works. Thank you Estelle for my wonderful sandwiches every afternoon at the beach
This resort is over the top in everyway, I would pay alot of money to stay again, just get those people's towels off the beds and it would get a solid 10, Have fun

Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites from the 7th to the 21st of November a couple of days after our wedding on the 5th and it was exactly what we needed after all the build-up and planning. We booked through first choice and decided to upgrade to premium flights which was fantastic, we had all inclusive drinks and the cabin crew were very attentive and I got to sit next to all three pilots.
With it being our honeymoon we opted for the private transfers after reading transport times on here and didn’t regret it. Cancun airport was really well organised and it was a matter of minutes before we we’re escorted onto our individual vehicle. I’d say it took us an hour to arrival on resort, which meant we checked in without everyone else on the coach.
Check was very quick and friendly, and of course a glass of sparkling at flannel while we filled out the papers. We then got whisked off to our suite 1701 which was only walking distance- so no need for a buggy! At first we thought it might me a bit close to the reception and restaurants (noisy) but actually it was perfect. I requested a garden room as close to the seafront as possible as the swim ups really didn’t appeal to me. The patio lead out to almost a private immaculate garden and you could make out the seafront- at no extra cost.
The room like everyone else suggests is large and roomy, not quite 5 star luxury but still fabulous. The bed was so big and comfortable and we made us of the double in suite Jacuzzi most nights. The only slight disappointment was no towel art on arrival and I thought they might make more of a fuss of us being on honeymoon- but I don’t think they knew! We left a tip for the maid every day and this soon got sorted and was treated every night to exciting new towel art.
We were blown away walking around the grounds on the first afternoon, everything was so beautiful and carefully looked after from the winding pathways in the gardens to the raked sandy beach. Along the shore is dotted with a variety of hammocks, cabanas and beach beds. There’s an old pier and outdoor little bars which you can go and pick up a cocktail and wander around with or sit on the beach.
I’m not really one for taking part in activities on a holiday, this one was all about relaxation but the activities team are all so lovely and encourage you to join in without being pushy. Between us we took part in the aqua gym, kayaking, snorkelling, beach volley ball, cooking lessons and towel art all of which were free. Special thanks go to Alex, Aaron, Stephanie and Reina who all work super hard to make sure you have fun!
There is one main bar in the evening where most the action happens at night which is open till 2am and they always have some entertainment on whether its Mexican night, acrobats or karaoke. We did though tend to prefer the smaller cocktail/swing bar near the lap pool which Elmer manned. He was a fabulous bar man and made the best drinks on resort especially his mojitos- which I miss back at home . Elmer would always give you the good tequila!
All restaurants we found great, the Italian ‘Mia Masa’ is definitely the best and highest demand… how many places can you go and order a fillet steak without paying extra? All the waiters in here are so attentive and well trained, in particular Miguel and they really do treat you like it’s a pleasure to serve you. We also really enjoyed ‘Vida’ grill, which you can get a table straight away for a fancy champagne breakfast and three course gourmet lunches. I can’t remember his name but there is an older waiter in here who is absolutely adorable and helped is take photographs together.
The Mexican ‘La Carrentina’ is lovely although found some meals far superior to others, I really liked having lunch in here as they did a really nice salad bar and it’s all very authentic and traditional. I couldn’t understand when we were there why people bypassed this place- you’re in Mexico so you should try their food!!! Also ‘Klay Atay’ the Japanese was incredible, my husband had never had the courage to try sushi before but it was very good and they will do you a platter of different things to try. We made sure to sit on both the terrace and inside the restaurant on separate nights to get the different atmospheres and it was fun eating with chopsticks (not very well).
They also have another restaurant which was being refurbished whilst we stayed but didn’t really miss out, the room service was used on several occasions when I had a hangover or tired and it was very good. Plus the beach BBQ was ideal when you were lazy and didn’t wanted to leave the sun, just grab some food in your bikini and take it back to the cabana and look out to sea- bliss!
Although our best meal by far was the moonlight dinner on the pier which we paid about £100 for two. It was a fabulous lobster dinner and if this falls in time with your trip most definitely advised, you won’t regret it!
We used the new spa facilities a few times and they have done an excellent job, its very well designed and relaxing and the gym is kitted out with all new technology stuff. We actually quite enjoyed our banter with Victor when he would come up and down the beach in the morning selling treatments. We did find the prices very expensive compared to at home but they will negotiate a little bit or throw in extras. My only advice is not to have a massage on the beach as this was spoilt by a group of noisy young Americans getting drunk in the hot tub right by me- it really ruined the vibe and the Spa is immaculate and luxurious, you’re better off taking treatments up there.
We booked a few trips/excursions but always through the guys down in the Beach Hut. Alberto and Pablo are sweeties and very approachable so much so we brought Alberto a cigar when we left to say thanks for looking after us. We wanted a bit of culture and thought about Chichen Itza as it’s one of the ‘wonders’ but its three hours away in a coach and I couldn’t bear to be parted from the resort for so long! Instead we chose Coba which is much closer and the only pyramid left you can climb. This trip also incorporated an activities day or kayaking zip lining, jungle trek, abseiling and visiting a Mayan village…. Very much recommended! We also went to Coco Bongo’s one night, which is absolutely mad but in a good way. Drinks included all night and about 12 different shows and acts including Lady Gaga and Spiderman Etc. Lastly we did sea fishing which my husband has always wanted to do but wasn’t that great for me (got bad seasickness), I don’t think it was the best time of year to do it but the crew where very knowledgeable and helped us both catch big barracuda’s.
Overall we had the most fabulous time and I could go on forever about how magical this resort is. No kids anywhere, adults only and memories money just can’t buy… you must go! I can’t wait to return myself .

Naomi & Robert Fearn- Derbyshire, England

Room Tip: All rooms are good- no need to upgrade!
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

This resort is amazing, we have just returned from a 2 week stay and have already been looking to see how much it will cost to go again next year!!

We stayed in a 1st floor garden view Junior Suite which was lovely. The rooms certainly do have the wow factor when you walk in with the massive four poster bed and jacuzzi and the bathroom was big with a huge shower area and double sinks. Our shower was a bit pathetic, had to run around in it to get wet and getting the temperature right was a fiddly business, but we spoke to others who had amazing power showers so i guess thats luck of the draw. All rooms had balconies and we loved sitting on ours as the sun disappeared sipping a pina colada before grabbing a siesta.

My only grumble with the room was that it overlooked the main swim up bar and unluckily for us there was a particularly loud and abrasive bunch of Canadians staying in the swim up rooms (which this bar predominantly caters for) making A LOT of noise right up till the bar shut so bye bye siesta and relaxing pina colada :( I will definately make sure i'm not near this bar next time.

The restaurants were all very nice, and the food is very good for all inclusive. Its all presented beautifully, i'm not sure i'd go quite so far as to call it gourmet, but it is far far far better then the usual all in buffet or restaurant standard. The menu's are a bit limited, especially at the asian (though the sushi there is the best i've ever tasted) and the deserts are hillarious, generally being some kind of slush presented in a small coffee cup flavoured like the thing you actually thought you were ordering (the tiramisu stands out for me here lol). It didnt bother us in the slightest because we had such a good giggle about it.

We were lucky with entertainment as the activities pool re-opened on our 2nd day and we really enjoy getting involved. We had so much fun playing water volley ball, there were beach games, darts, bingo, towel folding, cocktail lessons, kayaking, snorkalling and more. The entertainment team are brilliant, big shout out to Stephanie, Aaron, Reina and Erik who all worked so hard to make sure everyone was having a good time and also Alejandro who was there on a placement and was absolutley brialliant and an outrageous cheat....that was IN!!!!!

The evening entertainment was ok, we didnt really bother with the shows, not our bag but the bands were quite good and there is a DJ on after who takes requests and the music gets pretty varied. There is a good buzz in the bar in the evenings and you are sure to meet people. We really wanted somewhere with good evening entertainment, music, bands etc so this was our only real concern about coming here, but at the end of the day you make your own fun and we certainly did!

Another grumble though, is that the main bar in the evening is literally the only place to go after a certain time. If its busy there are no seats for late comers and the bar will close and music stop at 2am ON THE DOT! If you're having a good time there is nowhere else to go so if you're in full swing make sure you line yourselves up some drinks before 2!!

The staff are all brilliant, so friendly and attentive, people have mentioned tipping and we always did. 20 pesos is the equivalent to about £1 and we tended to take a few out with us at all times and tip waiters and bar staff etc as they are so good. I dont think you have to, they wouldn't treat you any differently.

The whole place is immaculate and there were never any concerns about illness and the only person we knew there who was ill was ill before they came.

We did a few trips, organised them with Alberto and Pablo at the beach and they were excellent, very well organised and far cheaper than thomson for the same thing. Swimming with dolphins was such a highlight, i would recommend it to anyone. Just to consider, we got a bit lost in our adult only bubble so when we went on the Catamaya and stopped at another hotel where a big family with kids of all ages got on it was a big shock!!!! Your holiday is adult only, the trips aren't!!!

The sandbags on the beach are ugly. I'm sorry but there is no denying it. Its not going to ruin your holiday though, but if you are looking for that pristine powder sand beach thats absolutely perfect look elsewhere.

I loved this hotel and so did my other half. We had an amazing time, met some fatastic people and felt pampered and spoilt for the whole 2 weeks. There are some small negatives which I have noted down because this is the sort of info I wanted when I was looking at where to go. On the whole I would heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful holiday in the carribean.

Excellent value for money, beautiful place, friendly and attentive staff, great drinks, good food, great people and a ton of fun in the sun!

Room Tip: Unless you want to spend a lot of time at your room dont bother with the swim up suits, and ocean vi...
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

This is a smaller resort, adults only! I loved it. We met so many great people. We just returned yesterday and I wish we had stayed a few more days. Thi place is big enough to have fun and nightlife, but small enough that you don't need to get on a darn golf cart to get around. If you forget something in your room it won't take an hour to get back to the beach. Also, it's perfect for couples of course, but also great for groups to vacation together. Their are lots of things to do and activities to participate in. I think this place has something for everyone.

The main pool swim up bar is being currently renovated and is closed. Only a slight bummer because they still set up a portable bar for pool service. The beach water is calm and you can snorkel right there from the beach. The activities desk provides equipment for free as well as kayaks. They offer guided kayak and snorkeling daily for beginners. Finding chairs on the beach wasn't a problem most days either.

The food was good and there was a good variety to choose from. However, I wouldn't spend the extra $300 pesos for the Surf and Turf. My rib eye steak was horrible. I think they butterfly them in half. A rib eye shoudn't be 1/4 inch thick. It was way overcooked. The lobster was grilled. It was good, but no lemon or butter served with it. The Japanese restaraunt was okay.

The service overall was excellent. You will be assigned a personal concierge when you check in. However, they won't do much of anything for you unless you agree to listen to their timeshare presentation. I already own one and don't need another, so I wasn't willing to spend the time and agony to go through another one of those. Our female concierge was nice, but the male concierge for building 39 was a downright jerk. When trying to obtain an internet pass which was supposed to be free for in the Exotic Traveler VIP room because I booked through them. He denied me a pass and he clearly stated that he wasn't there to serve me unless I "make the comittment to hear their presentation". If I listened to the presentation I could get the pass. His attitude was unkind and very short. Snooty even. I was very annoyed. I was so mad I just walked out and forgot to get his name. Don't even ask him for more than 1 beach towel per person (you can get towels there in the morning on the way to the pool/beach). He was the only hiccup on this trip. Everyone else at the hotel provided top notch service. I was impressed.

Bring plenty of your own sunblock because I paid $24 for a bottle of sunblock. Way overpriced in the gift shop. The jewelry store is nice and the prices aren't bad.

Room Tip: Get a swim up suite on the ground floor. You can hop in the pool right from your balcony. They feed...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
wrexham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this resort for 1 week Nov 2nd to 9th 2011. This resort was everything we hoped for and more. I too had been reading reviews on this hotel for over a year and some negative ones had worried me a little, i can assure you it is fantasitc.

We paid for the ocean front which as stated are obscured by palm trees but while we were there, they were all being trimmed back. our room was 2815 second floor which i carefully checked out the block and spoke with the concerirge beforehand but for your information if the seaview bothers you block 2715 to 2755 had best view of the ocean as trees had been cut back and they were a little further from the balcony than block 2800's.

The both blocks where very close to all amenities too.

The resturants were all really good, our favourite being the mexican with the fajitas.

As i read on a previous review....Do not close the door of the balcony only the screen as you wont get back in.....we were on the balcony for 5mins before anyone passed and it was starting to go dark!!!!!!

The rooms are fabulous and bed so comfortable you can oversleep!

We learnt to get up about 7 to get our fav spot on beach but no way could you get a beach bed......the towel and pillow you see will be there all day unused.......use them we all did when we realised they had been put down complimentary and not by fantom bed reservers!!!

Room Tip: block 2700 2nd floor
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Just returned from 2 weeks staying in a spacious Junior Garden Suite and had a wonderful time. The grounds are always immaculate and the restaurants offer such a choice of dining styles and our favourite was Mia Casa. Sergio the maitre d'hotel supported by sommelier Vidzu ensured we were made to feel very special at all the 4 restaurants on offer. At this hotel the staff cannot do enough for you. You never wait very long to be served at the bars and all the major brands of spirits are on offer as are some prefectly acceptable house wines. For us it was great to see Janet promoted to waitress at Las Guacamayas bar.

So after a pre dinner drink at Vida brilliantly mixed by Elmer we would choose Casa Mia with Miguel or Rafael as our favourite waiters. Next night William would welcome us at Vida Grill and with Elias on duty we tried a signature margarita! We ate 3 nights at Klay Talay and the sushi sample dishes followed by the malaysian shrimp green curry was amazing.

Since our last visit a year ago the new spa has opened and the gym is now located there and we worked out most days. Although quite small it is air conditioned and is adequate to keep you ticking over with several cardio and weight machines.

The shows a each night vary in quality but we loved the beach party with the Jamaican reggae band, the cirque du soleil type acrobatic show and the amazing magician. Erick, Stephanie and Reina from entertainments make sure there is plenty of action going on throughout the day so we only went off site to Playa del Carmen once for shopping and a change of scenery.

We will be returning next year. We love the place and the people are just the most friendly and professional staff you could wish for.

Room Tip: The rooms near the 2 swim up bars can be a touch noisy at around 5pm if a crowd turns up for a late...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!