“Luxury accommodation, fabulous food & excellent service - not to be missed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Luxury accommodation, fabulous food & excellent service - not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The 'wow' factor of staying at this resort starts as soon as you drive down the access road to the hotel which welcomes you with a cool cocktail in reception whilst you check in. The sizeable suites (they are definately not 'rooms') are amazing with a jacuzzi bath, massive 'four poster-like' bed and plenty of storage. We had a swim-up suite which I would definately recommend, as it's not easy to get sunbeds on the beach. The food was to die for. Some previous reviews have said there's not enough, but it's gourmet dining and you can have as many courses as you want - we certainly didn't go hungry. Our favourite was the Italian 'Mia Casa' - go and see Rafael who will cater to your every dining delight, particularly if you are celebrating. All drinks are included, even brand names, and the cocktails flow freely at all the bars.Tips are already included but if you want to reward someone 20 pesos is the going rate, little and often. The reception keep a supply of twenty peso notes!

Something to watch out for on arrival at the airport, as a number of people got caught from our flight. Holiday reps are not allowed in the airport building, so anyone saying they are Thompson/First Choice reps etc is actually going to try to sell you a time share! This is done all very politely, welcoming you to their country, giving information about the area etc, but then there is mention of a private club where you can get money off trips or if you want to return to Mexico again- this is the sell bit, and it can be quite a hard sell too! Some even ask for a deposit which you'll lose if you don't turn up to the presentation.

Don't let the airport put you off Mexico and in particular this resort - we would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My second visit to Mexico, to an all inclusive, my first visit was to the Royal playa del carmen and wasn't expecting to much, well it was great the food was fantastic and rooms really nice.
So after reading so many revues online about how good the food was at the Eldorado i was expecting the same standard, wow what a disappointment, the food is terrible, i tried steak at three of the restaurants one a sirloin one a fillet and one a flank , well they were all the same a minute steak inedible .The presentation of the food is excellent but most of it was tasteless and couldn't wait to get home to have a decent meal. The service was average and usually had to go get your own drinks when on the beach.The wine they serve is too terrible and bought my own off the wine list for dinner.At the Royal i drank their house wine the whole time and was very happy.
The hotel is dated and needs a facelift.

if i had to compare my last experience at the royal which by the way was cheaper , i would give the Royal 9 out of 10 and the Eldorado a 4 out of 10.

Ps NO WIFI, if you need internet access its only in the lobby at $15 per day.Big Issue for me.

Freelton Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My husband and I just returned May 23/2011 after two weeks in EDSS.
Room was very nice, clean and had very comfortable beds.
The food was quite good. Some cooks dont do steaks very well. First time we had the rib eye steaks at the Vido grill, they were excellent. After that the were quite chewy.
My husband's French Toast at the same place was cold, after waiting quite a while for it too.
They came running after us to find out what was wrong, offering special treatment the next time we ate there, what can we do to make it right. Well you can't We declined...all he wanted was a hot breakfast.
Although it says you dont need to make reservations to eat, we did encounter an odd situation.
We went into the Mia Casa at 7:30 one night, and there were at least four tables set for four people. Since there were four of us, you would think there would be no problem. Well we were asked to sit at the bar and wait to be paged. When we asked why, they told us that the TIMESHARE guests had booked those tables. My husband almost had a stroke, but you are on vacation, so what the heck. Pager goes off and they seated us at one of the prebooked tables I had asked to be seated at.. So be warned that these timeshare people can book any restaurant and then decide which one they would eat at..Talk about feeling like a second class citizen. Management were very very suprised by this information and said they had no idea this was going on, Well they do now.
The staff in the restaurants were fantastic. Very polite and very helpfull.
The front office stafff also were very good.
The night entertainment was marred by the fact that unless you were sitting directly in front of the stage, you could not see the shows clearly because of the many palm trees and structural poles. The stage was definately in the wrong place.
The sand is quite harsh, so take water shoes to avoid the sharp bits.
The pool too, is not the best, but this is our personal opinion given the fact that my cousin who was with us does not swim and could not stand up in the pool. It was 4.5 feet deep and was up past her chin. Only one exit ladder from the main pool, which you had to swim to, to get out and the swim up bar was unaccessable if you did not swim.

Overall, we had a very nice time. We met some wonderful people from all over the world.
Other than the couple of things I mentioned, I give this a fairly high ranking.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Firstly, and this is important, anyone who complains and moans about EDSS needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror at themselves. This place is incredible...

I have never been treated so well on any holiday in my life. I felt like royalty and the staff cannot do enough to help you. They go out of their way to make every single detail of your stay perfect.

The room: we stayed in a Swim Up Suite and the room was massive. The bed is enormous and very very comfy. The air conditioning was quiet and effective and the bathroom is huge. The Jacuzzi fitted two people no problem and the swim up water was constantly clean and warm. The swim up bars are an excellent touch too. While we were there a new bartender started called Carlos. His manner and humour were fantastic not to mention his superb drinks which were constantly flowing.

The food: I have dined in various expensive restaurants across the world and the EDSS food compares to the very best I have had. The restaurants are stunning, such thought has been put into their romantic design. The waiters were attentive, very polite and quick. I would like to give special mention to Anselmo from the Sandwicherie who made every lunchtime a joy. Have you ever had a waiter bring you your favourite drinks BEFORE you have ordered them? Fantastic!

The beach: We found the beach absolutely fine. The sand is slightly rough and there is a bit of coral in the sea but otherwise it is picture perfect. There is of course the "towel game" but every resort has this and it is no reflection on EDSS. We used the beach butler service everyday (it was very regular) and our Beach Butler, Janet, was fantastic. Always smiling, quick and spot on drinks. Can you imagine having to work in 32 degrees sun with a uniform, having to walk sand all day serving drinks? Janet managed this with enthusiasm and a smile.

Photoshoot: Unknown to us before we left there is actually a professional photographer on site who can take your photos in various poses and locations. We had this done and it was superb. Anyone who would like this to be done then remember to visit the photoshop next to the pottery. It was excellent. I have left the photographers name and email address at home but anyone who wants to know any more or see our photos then PM me. Their website is http://www.caribephoto.com/

In conclusion, we are gutted to be home. EDSS has a special place in our hearts and we will be returning year after year. If you want the royalty treatment and amazing food/service then I cannot see why you would ever go elsewhere. Senor Vazquez (Room Division Manager) can be very proud of his team of staff. It is simply paradise… See you next year EDSS!

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week at El Dorado Seaside where our best friends got married on the beach - a perfect setting! We had a great trip and enjoyed the food, drinks and entertainment at this adults-only resort.

The resort has its own purification system so you can eat and drink everything with no worries. We particularly enjoyed the Mexican and Italian restaurants - the Asian was our least favorite. Lunch at the beach cafe was nice. The staff was always excellent and Alberto is the best bartender!

The beach activities are fun - there were plenty of kayaks and snorkel sets to go around. The water is shallow and good for floating or light swimming. Relaxing on the beach was wonderful! The shaded beds are wonderful and nice to lay on to get a break from the sun while remaining on the beach. The only downside was the length of the beach - I enjoy long walks and although you could continue off the resort, it wasn't something I would do at night.

All in all, we had a great stay and recommend El Dorado Seaside Suites to anyone looking for a relaxing, adults-only vacation.

Room Tip: Seaside room=poor view; Stay away from outdoor bar
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a week at el dorado seaside suites. We were recommended this by our First Choice travel rep after booking Maldives for our 5th wedding anniversary. After looking on trip advisor the island had a poor write up so we changed the holiday. Note to self- check out the resort BEFORE booking, £70 admin fee to change! Anyway I digress, I was a little aprehensive before going having watched Ross Kemp portray the violence there. No need to worry, felt very safe in playa del carmen and tulum. People are very friendly getting a welcome "hola" off everyone.

The resort
Welcome drink on arrival, quick brief, then given safe key & lock ( don't lose it repacement costs US$125!) Golf buggy down to our room, beautiful!! AC was already on, bubble bath run, chilled champagne on ice. We had upgraded to an ocean view room to get the anniversary package. More on that later. Believe me we could see a path-wide gap of the ocean from our ground floor patio. They are right about the palm trees, they cover the whole resort. lovely to walk through the dappled shade but don't expect a sea view from any room. The room itself was fantastic, I went through it with a fine tooth comb to report any findings on this site. Only thing I found were light switches that took some working out to what they were connected to. Lovely big shower you could have a party in, Jacuzzi tub you could do likewise. Toilet that flushed like the aeroplanes!!! Bed was lush, pocket sprung, the Mrs is only 5' 2'' and struggled to get on it its that high!!
The swim up rooms are set further back and overlook the main walkway. If its privacy you want avoid these.
Went for a walk at 6am 1st day, timezoned out. and yes people were already putting towels out. As the saying goes"you snooze you loose". But we did notice during the week people were reserving the bed and 2 loungers in front of the bed. Abit greedy and unneccessary as you got the sun on both. Saying that we played the early morning reservation game and always got 1 or the other, even though the hotel was close to full capacity. If you want the premium beds(waters edge or poolside) set your alarm or do as we did & stay in UK time!
Overall pretty good. Im a chef and very picky about food. I'll go through resaurants 1 by 1.
Arrefices: serves breafast, lunch, dinner. Buffet breafast, ok. Fresh fruit, breads, etc. only ate there once, so much food so little time!
Sandwicherie: alfresco dining shaded by palm trees, next to the bar, bonus! buffet breakfast. Lunch, burgers, pizzas, burritos, etc. great if you're not too hungry in the midday sun.
Mia Casa: Italian. Only serves dinner , probably the worst meal all week, I had veal, I'm sure it had beed microwaved! They bring you a wine list by the bottle, which you pay top dollar for. By the glass its free, well in with the all incusive. You know wot I mean.
La Carreta: Mexican. Again only serves dinner. the food was good but it just lacked that wow factor that being on home soil I thaught they'd make it the best.
Vida Garden: Serves breakfast, lunch, dinner. Beautiful. French toast, yummy. smoked salmon bagel, OMG!
Kalay Talay: Asian, Chinese. Dinner only. But what a dinner! Serves sushi, never been a fan but the sweet and sour pork and beef teriyaki rivals any chinese I've ever tasted.
Go early, or late. gets busy between 7pm & 9pm. They give you a beeper so you can sit at the bar with cocktail in hand (they have 30+ to choose from) & wait for your table. The last night we were there it took over 20 mins to get our starter, 15 for mains & 1 glass of wine & 1 of water (hence -1 for service).
Part of our anniversary package was a candlelit meal on the beach. To buy the meal was close to US$100. If I paid for it I would have been well p***ed off. Bad service adequate food, nothing special, farmed salmon, once you've had wild you never go back. dessert laced in coconut, neither of us like. It was supposed to be baked Alaska it was raw piped meringue.
One more thing about dining, dress code. Breakfast & lunch you can pretty much wear what you want, though I'd draw a line at speedos & vest. Dinner is and I quote" no tank tops, no shorts, no beach sandals. (Dress Bermuda is allowed). I wore 3/4 trousers tee shirts or shirts and never felt under dressed.
Beach
Water is warm, quite shallow for long way, didnt stop us from seeing a ray, turtle, octopus, and plenty of fish. Weather 28- 30 all week. Typical Brits got burnt 1st day had bad nights sleeping, our own fault. Yes there are the black concrete things in the sea but there not as bad as some people make out. And they attract the fish.
Excursions
Went to Tulum ruins. All Im saying is take your cossie & a towel! 35 pesos each for minibus taxi which is like the local bus service. Walk up the long drive from the resort and wait. They run about every 10 mins the ones going left for Tulum or right for Playa del Carmen. Cheaper tham a 230 pesos taxi.
Tulum town is great for shopping, barter hard 30-40% off.
Went to Coco Bongo at Playa. booked through rep. US$98 per couple, coach there & back, entry to 2 bars & coco bongo, all you can drink. Top night. We stayed til 4am coach leaves at 2am. Rep made sure we were ok and we got a taxi back.
Currency
All things in the hotel are US$, they will convert to pesos. Entry to Tulum is pesos only , 51 each I think. All shops & taxis take both, stick to pesos for the little minibuses.
No need to tip anyone, 10% of your all inclusive fee has already been paid to the staff. If you get really good service the 20 pesos is ample. The lass who brings you cocktails on the beach deserves every penny! Staff are all friendly, hola from everyone.
Overall a relaxing place where you can do as much or as little as you want. Will we go back? definitely, though they own 5 hotels so maybe try 1 of the others.

Room Tip: 2900 3000 rooms are on the better bit of beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011 via mobile

This is the niest place i have ever stayed. Beautiful surroundings, lovely rooms and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Restaurant quality is excellent and theres a wide variety of choice in each restaurant, so you wont get bored with the food even on a fortnights holiday. The staff were amazing - this is customer service at its very best and any constructive feedback - if you can find any - is dealt with immediately. We only had one piece of feedback whilst there and it was around the quality of service from the independantly owned shop on the hotel complex. Our issue was dealt with immediately and every night therein, there were a selection of cakes awaiting us when we got back to our room by way of apology - not necessary but really lovely and showed how muh the management team at this hotel cared about its guests. So, if you want five star luxury and complete pampering in a child free zone, this is the place to go - heaven on earth!!

• Stayed June 2010

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!