“Fabulous!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Stoney Creek
“Fabulous!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2004

I was a little worried after reading some of the hot and cold reviews here - but we had absolutely none of the problems that other reviewers experienced! We are a couple in our late 30's. We booked out trip on the internet thru itravel2000 and travelled with Sunwing Vacations March 24 - 31st. No problems here! We picked up our tickets at Pearson Intl Airport the morning we left. We flew out at 6:30 am on Kelowna Flightcraft (new plane/pleasant flight) and arrived in Cancun by 9:15 am. Breezed thru the airport and arrived at Aventura Spa Palace before noon. Another pleasant surprise - our room was ready! Great room right in the middle of the resort!The grounds are as beautiful as everyone says and our weather was perfect. We had breakfasts at El Greco and Eddie was our server. We got mimosa's in the morning as well as cappaccino (sp?) - this was good as we found the coffee was a little hit and miss. We had dinner in every restaurant except Ventana's (the buffet). Our favourites in order: La Huerta (light California Fare) They had an awesome caesar salad and their steak was pretty good too.
Mo no no whatever (oriental cuisine). The appetizers here were really good!La Hacienda (Mexican) Top notch service and alcohol.One note - the appetizers in all the restaurants were far better that the main courses - so we tended to order lots of them and no entrees.We found the service around the pool and lagoon was quick for drinks and if you were really thirsty you could walk about a hundred feet and get a drink yourself!We did tip and I would say the service was excellent whether you tipped or not but the difference would be in the little things.The resort was full while we were there but we only had to wait for dinner one night (Mexican restaurant) and otherwise, the resort really did not seem overcrowded.We had a fabulous time at Aventura Spa Palace and will recommend it too all our friends! We found it to be a reasonably priced resort, with beautiful grounds, excellent amenities and service, lovely rooms and good/excellent food. We also loved the "no kids" aspect. We have three at home but if we're not bringing them along we'd just as soon not have to hear anyone else's either.Oh, we popped over to Xpu-Ha Palace (because we thought we might like to go there with the kids since we were so happy at Aventura - glad we did as we would NOT like to go there for a week - too rustic and spread out for our family (and we ARE an active group) although the snorkelling in the ocean and inland lake was fabulous!Have a great time at Aventura Spa Palace - we envy you!

• Stayed January 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2004

My husband and I stayed at Aventura March 9th through the 13th. We had also done a lot of research on several different sites and chose Aventura due to the adult only. We checked in around 10 am and was immediately told that our room was ready, however, it was not one that even remotely looked over the ocean, instead it was first floor and looked at a garden. I asked if we could get switched and they said that they had no rooms available, but that he promised he would switch me in the morning and to see him at 9 am. I begged a little bit (I had never seen an ocean before and since this was our honeymoon, I was going for romantic), but he kept with the story. When I explained it was our honeymoon, he turned white and said you are not noted as a honeymoon couple. Oh well. I figured it wasn't worth ruining our vacation, so I thought we would visit him in the morning. We went to our room, got into our bathing suits and went exploring. The grounds are HUGE and we were worn out walking all over the place. There were chairs by the pool, although many had towels on them, and no bodies, which seemed to be the trend through our vacation. We had dinner at the Mexican restaurant. Service was so slow. Food was Ok. Took us about 2-½ hours to get through dinner, which was exhausting. I saw a lot of people getting turned away for not having proper attire on, so please, make sure you know the dress code. We used the hot tub. The water was slightly off color. It didn't bother me, though. Ya put enough bubble bath in and isn't a big deal. We did see a few cats, but they always scurried away. I slept horribly the first night. Bed was hard, but not a big deal, problem was the carts going back and forth on the tiled floor. It was miserable. And then when people came out of the disco -- holy cow. The next morning we went to see my friend to get the room switched. To my surprise, he was off that day, and there was a huge line of people complaining about their rooms. Hmmm. They said they were overbooked and could not switch us. I complained about the noise and they offered a room on the spa side, which we went to look at (overbooked, huh?), but it overlooked a fence. Not very romantic. I just drank before we went to bed so I didn't hear the noise. The shows were fun. The people were very friendly, however, I tried to tip several times, but nobody-- .ok..only the kayaking people..would take the tip. Spa was nice and relaxing. Weather was gorgeous! Service at the pool was not great, but we just got off our butts and got our own drink not a big deal. We thought the lagoon was very clean and had several fish. Was chased by a pelican. That was fun -- and scary. Overall, it was a nice and relaxing trip. I think we will chose another resort next time, though.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

We just returned from the Aventura spa Palace on Saturday. This resort was by far the nicest resort we have ever stay at . This was our fifth all inclusive holiday so far, our third in Mexico, and we stayed twice in Dominican Republic. The service was outstanding, these people will do ANYTHING for you, it was exceptional !! We found the food good, we never ate at the Mexican, but every other restaurant was great. The hotel is very big, if your legs are not in good shape when you arrive they will be when you leave. The rooms are very clean and nice( great jacuzzis ) The cleaning staff if very good. Overall just a beautiful resort with a lot of friendly staff and guests. Just ignore the negitive reviews, these people obvoiusly do not know how to have a good time, and should stay home.Go and enjoy yourself

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2004

Upon our arrival at the ASP (there were six of us in our group), we were informed that we were being moved to another hotel because of the hotel being over-booked. We came to the ASP through our timeshare, RCI. Apparently everyone who had come to the ASP through RCI, were turned away and transferred to another hotel. The staff at the front desk of the ASP were rude. I called the ASP directly a few days before our arrival to ensure our reservations and everything was fine. Nothing was ever mentioned about being over-booked or having to be transferred to another hotel. In my opinion, it was nothing more than a scam!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2004

My husband & I just returned (3/31/04) from the SpaPalace. The weather was perfect and I fell in love with Playa del Carmen. The grounds at the SpaPalace are nice, well kept and they smell of raw sewage. The rooms are adequate with private hot tubs, but I have had much more beautiful rooms in Mexico and 'adequate' wasn't what I had in mind. I comforted myself by the thought that we'd really only be sleeping there. Unfortunately, the beds are rock hard - we didn't sleep very well! We did hear a few cats the first night but it was no big deal. We did see one but he was no trouble at all. There were two large groups there for the first few days and the other reviews are correct in saying get your chairs reserved early at the pool!! After the groups left it was very easy to find a great spot on the lagoon or pool. I loved the pools - truly beatuiful. BIG HINT: TIP YOUR SERVERS/BARTENDERS or you'll never get anything you want or need.
Sometimes we'd sit for 15 or 20 minutes waiting for coffee or drinks and the servers would just stare at you while you stared at them. Once we started tipping we had excellent service. Even without tipping, the staff is very friendly, but they just don't have any incentive to take care of you. Yes, the food is foul. I had more spoiled cantalope (sp?) for breakfast than I care to mention. It's okay though - go into Playa del Carmen and eat at Blue Lobster or any of the other gorgeous restaurants there. The spa is okay. Their palapas on the edge of the ocean are wonderful settings for a massage. They do not operate as discreetly as in the US, however. Nudity isn't a big deal to them, so if you're modest watch out. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort and I don't think we will do it again. The loss of quality food and hit or miss service isn't worth it to us. If you enjoy sun, strong drinks and cheeseburgers, this is your place.

Creedmoor, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2004

Had a great vacation at Aventura Spa Palace. There were a few details lacking but overall a 4 star resort. When the bars & restaurants were busy, there was not enough staff. Some mornings I had to ask for more coffee & to have plates removed. The rooms were clean & the towel figures were cute. There are no floats in the pool and if you are looking for a beach this is not the resort for you. The lagoon is ok, but on the south side they are doing construction and there was an awful smell. Food was excellent and you certainly get more than enough of both food & drinks. The "time share" is a joke. They don't take no for an answer and one of the salesman got a little testy with us for not buying. I had read on this site to avoid the trap but took them up on their free offers and wasted almost 2 hours. We did have fun and the small inconveniences did not spoil our vacation. We have gone Sandals in the past and Palace resorts are almost as good.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2004

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at Aventura celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary. (we are 29 and 30) We booked through Travelocity and I was concerned about not receiving a good room. Much to our surprise we were on the beach, 2nd floor in part of a Presidential Suite with private entrance. We never heard anyone down the hallways at night and enjoyed our view and jacuzzi. Pools -- we always went to the North (spa) side for the pool. Less crowded and more low key. We also enjoyed hanging around the lagoon. We never woke up early to "mark a spot" and always managed to get a great spot by the pool. The pool bar can be slow, but only because each frozen drink is made individually in a blender, which in my opinion makes the drinks better. Be sure and have a Banana Monkey or a Miami Vice. Food -- we ate at the Japenese place the first night and the appetizers where great however, the entree my husband got was unedible and my almond chicken was so, so. We ate most breakfasts at El Greco and loved it.
Fresh omelets are the best and many people were also getting French toast made a la carte. Lunches we spent by the pool and enjoyed the fresh guacamole and pretty good cheeseburgers and sandwiches. The only other restaurant we ate at was La Hacienda. We enjoyed our meal of ceviche, red snapper, shrimp and several well made margaritas. If you like coffee, ask them to make a Sombrero and you won't regret it! If you have been on a cruise, the food is very similar. Exursions -- We took the ferry to Cozumel to go SCUBA and booked with Dive Paradise prior to leaving Texas. Great drift diving in Cozumel and the city is very easy to navigate. Puerto Aventuras is worth a quick visit to see the dolphins and manatees that are part of Dolphin Discovery. Even if you do not participate they are out in the open to watch swimming around. We had fun shopping and bar hopping in Playa Del Carmen. Playa is very clean, easy to navigate and has tons of stores other than just souvenir places such as Deisel, Guess and others. Spa - both my husband and I had a heated aromatherapy massage. Spa prices are very reasonable compared to the states and facilities are top notch. Overall the Aventura is a beautiful place and the drinks, service, location and amenities more than out weigh the so-so food. This was our first "all inclusive" but both of us have traveled extensively and thought it was SUPER nice by Mexico standards. Have a great time!

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!