My husband and I spent 5 nights at ASP: February 17-22. We loved every minute of it! Everything went so smoothly...from the check in, to room service, to eating, to drinking, to using the in room jacuzzi, to getting taxis, to getting bicycles, to buying souvenirs, to using spa facilities, to playing with the non motorized water equipment, and so on and so on. I read reviews on this site for three months; I was a little concerned that my experience there would be like seeing an Oscar Award winning movie after being told all of the best parts, but it wasn't the case! My husband was pretty patient with me, but I think he got a little tired of hearing me preface a comment by saying, "Well, I read on the internet that......"
We are a couple in our mid thirties celebrating our 10th anniversary.
On our first trip to Cancun, we stayed in the hotel zone and enjoyed it very much. This trip, however, we wanted a resort that offered the things we loved about our first trip: Snorkeling, water, and sun. We were sure the Xpu-Ha was the place for us after much research, and then at the last minute opted for Aventura because of the adults only feature. It worked out great because we were still able to enjoy a day at Xpu-Ha and see a fabulous beach, exotic animals, and beautiful fish.
Our favorite parts of Aventura Spa Palace: 1. In room jacuzzi and robes 2. Omlettes and memosas overlooking the ocean at breakfast 3. Sunning near the lagoon and being able to walk right out to snorkel, then flop back on the beach for more sun, drinks, and nachos. (At home, we spend much of our leisure time in the summer boating on a river with water that resembles chocolate milk. For us, the lagoon was marvelous!) The snorkeling was definitely better at Xpu-Ha, but were loved the convenience of snorkeling in the lagoon the days we weren't at Xpu-Ha.
4. Superb and friendly service everywhere, especially at all restaurants- my favorite: Kabobs at Mundaca with a "Chocolate Cup" for dessert
Things I found helpful: 1. Don't worry about exchanging money if you are buying souvenirs at the resort. They really are reasonable! I bought several ankle bracelets for under $1.00 each!
2. If the resort is busy, get up early to reserve a chair if you really want a certain spot. We settled for the plastic molded ones on the lagoon a lot of the time because we were too lazy to go out and reserve a spot. The pool area fills up faster.
3. Use the hydrotherapy services at least once. I didn't book a spa treatment, but used the hydrotherapy room(upstairs in the North Lobby), which doesn't cost extra. Heavenly!
4. Buy the $5.00 prepaid phone card at the gift shop to call home. When using it, dial "001" and then the number you want to call. It is only 4 minutes, but the easiest and probably cheapest way to call home. We didn't use the phone in our room or charge anything else to our room, and were able to use the "express check out" when we left. Much quicker!
5. Bring a wad of $1 bills. The service was excellent, and after hearing what little the employees make, we wanted to tip them for all of their hard work.
I wish I could tell you about the free tours offered with the package, which also lured us to the place, but we loved the resort so much, the only time we ventured away from it was to go to Xpu-Ha and ride bikes to Puerto Aventuras.
All in all, ASP turned us into self indulgent, lazy slugs. We have found this does not mesh with our lifestyle at home, and we are having trouble adjusting!! We would not trade any of it if we could do it all over again!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.