“No Romance, No Corona, No Mas!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
A TripAdvisor Member
“No Romance, No Corona, No Mas!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2004

Picture this: We begin the first night of our honeymoon with thoughts of the jacuzzi tub for two in our room. Sure it isn't the room our travel agent promised, it is on the opposite end of the property, but we can deal with that considering it is our first night of our long awaited romantic getaway. My new bride draws the water and unrobes to get in the tub, stepping in wearing nothing but her natural beauty. She turns on the jets and asks me to join her. As I unrobe I notice a very dark brown liquid coming out of the jets and foaming in the corners. I scream for her to get out and into the shower immediately, fearful of what that brown nastiness could be. Our first experience was a harbinger of the week to come.

Everything in the negative reviews is not completely true. IT IS ACTUALLY MUCH WORSE! The food is unedible. It tastes as it has been frozen for 3 years. This is the worst thing of many bad things about this place. Prison food could not be worse! If you do not follow our advice and do go there be prepared to go to puerto aventura where there is some decent food.

The alcohol is the CHEAP stuff. All bottom shelf and NO CORONA. The grounds are nice but the lagoon is a joke. The sand is more like a rocky clay. The noise is unbearable. Tile floors everywhere echo the sound of the drunken miserable guests all throughout the night. The cats are everywhere and while I did not see the rampages written in above reviews, I would not be surprised. While the staff is nice and the grounds are pretty....it does not matter. The place is like a prison, and the food is so bad people riot at night in their watered down drunken frenzy. I am very upset that my wife's honeymoon was a nightmare. If America ever takes arms against Mexico, I am in. The 1st place I will go is the Aventura Spa Palace. General Sherman would be proud of what I will do to that place.

3,728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2004

We just returned from a six night stay at ASP, Feb. 18-24, and it was paradise!!! The staff is so courteous and they genuinely want to please you. After reading reviews on ASP for a couple of months now, we took plenty of $1.00 bills with us and any time you tipped, they were just so grateful. Yes, tipping is included in what you pay for all-inclusive, but these people get paid so little and their service is outstanding, we wanted to tip them and a few bucks goes a long way. The rooms were beautiful, my only complaint is that we asked for a king-size bed when we made the reservation and when we checked in they put us in a double room and told us to check back tomorrow for the king size, when we checked back, same thing, check back tomorrow. After that, we gave up. We had hoped to stay on the Aventura side, because we heard it was funner, but we ended up on the Spa side in Building #9, and really liked it. We didn't mind walking over to the Aventura side for action and enjoyed the quietness of our area. The drinks are good and plentiful. The food is good, just not as spicy as we like but I guess they have to cater to people that don't like spicy food and you can always add some salsa to spice it up if you want. Oh!!! After a night of partying, order a cheeseburger from room service. They are to die for and they'll get them there in about 30 minutes. So good!!!! We did do one optional trip and that was on the sunset dinner cruise. It was fabulous. So romantic and a great dinner. We booked it through the hotel and the place we went to was called playa maroma beach club I think. It was $65.00 per person, but we earned ourselves $100.00 toward it for sitting through the time share presentation. The guest services will call you the morning after you check in to give you some info on your stay, which is helpful, and schedule you for their "vacation club" (it's a time share) presentation (90 minutes). If you don't want to sit through it, be firm and say so, because if you just ignore their calls, they will call you every morning by 9:00 until you respond. Not good if you want to sleep in. Anyway, we sat through their presentation, knowing that we weren't interested but wanted the $100.00 toward the sunset dinner cruise and free bottle of tequila. The prices for the "vacation club" are ridiculously high and you will feel like you are in a car dealership, you will talk to first the low man on the totem pole and move your way up through two more people before you are through.
Ninety minutes of my time was so worth getting that dinner cruise for free though. We took a taxi up to Playa Del Carmen one morning and the ferry over to Cozumel, I think it cost us $18.00 round trip per person and we bought our tickets right at the dock. Beware of one thing on the ferry, they will come buy offering you something to drink and then when they bring it, it's like $2.00 for a bottle of water and $5.00 for a drink, which surprised us because we were used to the "all-inclusive" and when they came by to offer it, they weren't forthcoming about the cost, just made it sound like something they give you. While on Cozumel, the other couple we were with rented a scooter for $25.00 and went over to the north side of the island and said it was the most beautiful beaches they had ever seen. Wish we had done that, next time for sure. One thing I would recommend if you can find it is a Mayan Coffee, it is to die for, it's like dessert in a coffee cup. I only found it once, at La Hacienda on the Aventura side and then never could find another restaurant to make it. Delicious!!! All in all it was a wonderful trip and I cannot wait to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2004

We stayed at ASP for 1 week starting Jan 19/04.I have been following with interest some of the comments posted on this site.I can't believe that some of these people stayed at the same resort as us and yet had opposite opinions! We had a great holiday and loved everything about this place. We were on the spa side- room on the third floor with ocean view from our balcony. This resort is beautiful and the staff great! I can't believe the number of horrible reviews about the food????? This is an all-inclusive! Are you expecting maybe Julia Childs to prepare your dinner???Is the food to die for - no- but was it "revolting"???
Not when we were there .And I think I'm a pretty picky eater.The only dinner I had that I was disappointed in was at La Hacienda one night and as soon as the waiter noticed my half eaten plate ,without any complaint from me, he whisked it away to show the chef and came back and asked if he could please get me something else!Wow, how's that for service? Drinks were good and plentiful.I never had to wait long for service even in some remote regions by the lagoons.As far as them being "watered down"- twice I had to have an unplanned siesta on my lounge chair after only 2 drinks- watch out for the electric lemonades! And what's that about no name brands- all you had to do was ask ! And what about the 4 bottles of name brand booze in the liquor cabinet in each and every room.I have never had that at an all inclusive before.
Someone complains room service was basically"non-existent??? We used it several times and never had a complaint- In fact one time they were so fast we were still in the jacuzzi when they came and the poor guy had to stand outside holding a very heavy tray while we made a mad scamble to get our clothes on so we could let him in!For Pete's sake people there was even filet mignon on your room service menu!!!Did it taste as good as the beef back home -no- but I have never had beef in any Caribbean country that taste like Canadian or American! The common areas and gardens of this resort were magnificent. Did we see the "Wild Screaming Cats"? Ya - we saw them - they probably weigh about 2 pounds each! Did we hear them at night ? Never ,but we were on the North side .As far as them fueling themselves on the "moldy,rotten leftover food" put out from room service- ??? Never was any plate I put out the night before still sitting outside my door in the morning. I guess I'm a little disappointed that people can find so much to complain about when I see people working so hard to please.There were only 2 times when I saw someone on staff be less than they should and both times I would say that the guest deserved it.All inclusive does not mean that these people are your whipping posts if something is not to your liking!There's a way to handle something not to your liking and rudeness and vulgarities are not it! This resort has over 1500 rooms.Imagine how many guests when full! If that means you have to wait 15 minutes for a drink - chill out! Or if you have to put your name in and wait 40 minutes for a table in one of the a la cartes- so what - take a stroll along the water- enjoy your holiday ! RELAX! If you went into a busy restaurant at home,with no reservation, how quickly would you expect to be seated? It does look like the busier this hotel got after we were there the heavier the complaints were. I don't know- we really liked this place. As far as fighting people for chairs- No - It was hard to find a sunny spot around the pool in the afternoon but never a problem on the beach. As far as loud,noisy obnoxious people around the south pool - well all I can say is - might have been me and my husband and a whole pile of other people we met our last day there!
And you can blame that on the tequila!!(Jenny & Chris- so sorry -it really was all the tequila. We are normally very quiet and well behaved 40 somethings! But it was fun! Glad that "what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico!) I really don't know what else to say.It is very possible that the quality of service goes down at ASP in peak season. I have stayed at 5 star resorts before and I would place this place high on my list of favourites. If this resort had a nice long stretch of beach I would probably go back year after year. To anyone considering a holiday at ASP- all I can say is our personal experiences were great! P.S. I know it says tips are included- but please- these people deserve the extra!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2004

Well, after reading the other reviews, traveling and staying at the Aventura Spa Palace, we thought we would also write a review. We have never written a review before, however, if you gain some insight, it'll be worth it. We did not enjoy most of our stay there. Upon our arrival at 3 pm, we were told that they overbooked and that our room would be ready in approximately 45 minutes. They said there was no other place for us to clean up, change or shower; we just had to wait. We kept checking back with the front desk every hour (as they suggested) and waited until 8:30 pm to get into our room. The room wasn't clean, had no water pressure and the safe was broken (pretty hard to enjoy the pools, etc. when you need to carry around your passport, jewelry and money with no safe in the room). The hotel said there wasn't anything they could do for us - well for $350.00 a night - they should have done something for us. Getting a telephone line out was next to impossible - so be aware if you need to call home! We had pre-paid calling cards, cell phones, and text pager - nothing worked. Even the phone in our room ($5.00 a try) wouldn't go through to the US. The food is average, the service was ok. It's a bit odd to read other reviews stating that people enjoyed the fake flower petals and arranged towels at night. If that's what makes a vacation for you, then this is your place. If you have discriminating taste and you've traveled abroad, knowing what's out there, then save your sanity and go to Europe. The waiting in line is ridiculous! Waiting for food, drinks, beachtowels, room-service that never shows up, ...waiting for a ROOM! All-inclusive, yes, it's true - but the waiting for every single thing gets so annoying. We've traveled quite a bit and have done all-inclusive vacations previously. This is low end quality comparitively speaking; yet a high-end cost! Note to the wise*listen to the "time-share" gimmick and get the $100 Spa Money to spend at their Spa. The Spa treatments were excellent and helped us to enjoy the rest of our vacation. Another important note - If you ever have any disputes with the hotel, don't give your luggage to the bellboy when departing. They held our luggage and wouldn't return it to us until we paid for the trip in full. Our intent was to withhold money since our first night was ruined and we didn't get our room until 8:45 pm (when check-in was at 3pm). They would not give us our luggage until we paid in full; we did so that we literally wouldn't miss our flight. Long story short - it's just simply not worth it! Talking to Expedia and Best Day Tours and Aventura itself - they all wipe their hands and say there's nothing that they can do. So if you decide to go - don't have high expectations!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2004

My husband and I spent 5 nights at ASP: February 17-22. We loved every minute of it! Everything went so smoothly...from the check in, to room service, to eating, to drinking, to using the in room jacuzzi, to getting taxis, to getting bicycles, to buying souvenirs, to using spa facilities, to playing with the non motorized water equipment, and so on and so on. I read reviews on this site for three months; I was a little concerned that my experience there would be like seeing an Oscar Award winning movie after being told all of the best parts, but it wasn't the case! My husband was pretty patient with me, but I think he got a little tired of hearing me preface a comment by saying, "Well, I read on the internet that......"

We are a couple in our mid thirties celebrating our 10th anniversary.
On our first trip to Cancun, we stayed in the hotel zone and enjoyed it very much. This trip, however, we wanted a resort that offered the things we loved about our first trip: Snorkeling, water, and sun. We were sure the Xpu-Ha was the place for us after much research, and then at the last minute opted for Aventura because of the adults only feature. It worked out great because we were still able to enjoy a day at Xpu-Ha and see a fabulous beach, exotic animals, and beautiful fish.

Our favorite parts of Aventura Spa Palace: 1. In room jacuzzi and robes 2. Omlettes and memosas overlooking the ocean at breakfast 3. Sunning near the lagoon and being able to walk right out to snorkel, then flop back on the beach for more sun, drinks, and nachos. (At home, we spend much of our leisure time in the summer boating on a river with water that resembles chocolate milk. For us, the lagoon was marvelous!) The snorkeling was definitely better at Xpu-Ha, but were loved the convenience of snorkeling in the lagoon the days we weren't at Xpu-Ha.

4. Superb and friendly service everywhere, especially at all restaurants- my favorite: Kabobs at Mundaca with a "Chocolate Cup" for dessert

Things I found helpful: 1. Don't worry about exchanging money if you are buying souvenirs at the resort. They really are reasonable! I bought several ankle bracelets for under $1.00 each!

2. If the resort is busy, get up early to reserve a chair if you really want a certain spot. We settled for the plastic molded ones on the lagoon a lot of the time because we were too lazy to go out and reserve a spot. The pool area fills up faster.

3. Use the hydrotherapy services at least once. I didn't book a spa treatment, but used the hydrotherapy room(upstairs in the North Lobby), which doesn't cost extra. Heavenly!

4. Buy the $5.00 prepaid phone card at the gift shop to call home. When using it, dial "001" and then the number you want to call. It is only 4 minutes, but the easiest and probably cheapest way to call home. We didn't use the phone in our room or charge anything else to our room, and were able to use the "express check out" when we left. Much quicker!

5. Bring a wad of $1 bills. The service was excellent, and after hearing what little the employees make, we wanted to tip them for all of their hard work.

I wish I could tell you about the free tours offered with the package, which also lured us to the place, but we loved the resort so much, the only time we ventured away from it was to go to Xpu-Ha and ride bikes to Puerto Aventuras.

All in all, ASP turned us into self indulgent, lazy slugs. We have found this does not mesh with our lifestyle at home, and we are having trouble adjusting!! We would not trade any of it if we could do it all over again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2004

We stayed at the Adventura Spa Palace in September 2003 for 2 weeks.
The resort was split in to 2 hotels ( both Adult's only ). We stayed in the Spa Palace which is where the North Lobby was situated and the Adventura Palace is the South Lobby. The rooms were amazing and had everything you could possibly need ( the jacuzzi bath was fantastic) The mini bar was stocked up every other day and there were optics on the wall with Rum, Tequilla and Brandy. The Hotel resort was massive but there was always someone driving past on a Golf Buggy. There was also a Coach that took us from Lobby to Lobby so we never had to walk very far. The Grounds were beautiful and there was a large outdoor pool in both Hotels. There were indoor pools, a diving pool,a cross current pool and several jacuzzi's too. The Hotel Beaches were beautiful but some people were complaining that they were to small and that the lagoons were rubbish but we thought they were fantastic. We spent hours snorkelling in the Lagoons and they were full of tropical fish. There were several Restaurants spread over both Hotels ( Mexican, Italian, Oriental, Healthy Eating, Mediterranean and International. The food and service was excellent. Our favourite was the Healthy Eating Restaurant.
It served Vegetarian dishes, a selection of meat dishes and Healthy choices as well. The Italian was quite disappointing. There was a Grill where you could get Steaks cooked for you to your liking ( they were lovely ) but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like to queue for long. There was also a buffet serving Italian dishes but there wasn't much to choose from. All the Staff throughout the Hotels were very polite and helpfull. We have been to the Mayan Riviera three times and this was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. There was so much to choose from and you could also visit other palace resorts and use their facilities. There was a bus that took you to the Moon Palace and the Beach Palace in Cancun daily. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this Hotel.
There's something for everyone. There's 3 Gym's, a Climbing tower, assault Course and nature trails for people who want an active Holiday and then theres Spa treatments, Sauna's, Steam rooms etc for People who just to relax. IT IS WELL WORTH A VISIT!!

Birmingham, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2004

stayed at the Spa Palace for 7 nights. This resort is just like every other all-inclusive - it is not high end as travel agents and their website would lead you to believe. We got there - they had overbooked the hotel - offered us $500 to move around to all of their different properties! Ha! We said no, of course, and it took them another 2-3 hours to find us rooms (we were there with another couple and they ended up putting us on opposite ends of the resort!). The food was average at best, room service NEVER answered the phone. So, they list room service as an amenity, but it's pretty much non-existent. Think there won't be any spring breakers here? Think again - they were running around the hallways at night! And the pool - if you like loud, obnoxious rap music played all day accompanied by an annoying activities director on a loud speaker, then this is the place for you!
Seriously, if you are a discriminating traveler and like tasteful, upscale accomodations, good service and good food, do not stay here.
Spend the money to fly to France and vacation on the Riviera - you can do it for the same amount of money.

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!