“Beautiful grounds” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Beautiful grounds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2004

I went with a bunch of girlfriends 2/20-2/24 and we had a great time, but were disappointed in a few things. First, the grounds and views are spectacular. The pools are gorgeous and the lagoons were very nice. We had to be out by 6:30 a.m. to get lounge chairs because the hotel was overbooked. I think this affected the service and the quality of the food because the service was slow and the food marginal. I was really looking forward to some great seafood and didn't get it. In talking to people around the pool, everyone we met felt the same way. The breakfast buffets were very good and the guacamole was awesome! The staff was friendly, but slow. As for the cats, let me tell you, they sounded like they were posessed! I have never heard cats 'scream' like this before. Saturday night they literally kept us up half the night.
There is alot of food in the hallways that people put out of their room and the cats I'm sure eat the rotten moldy food and go crazy! I think if I was there for a romantic getaway I'd be disappointed, but going with a bunch of friends, we had a blast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Livonia,Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2004

The ASP is definitely a palace. We just got back from a long weekend, and can't wait to go back. As for the negative reviews, all we can say is "what planet are these people from? " We guess that there are some people that you just are never going to please. If you want to find a place to eat,drink, relax, and forget about life for awhile, this is it! This resort is HUGE and beautiful, and judging from the oohs and ahhs in our van as we drove up, others felt that way too. The grounds are immaculately maintained and well groomed. Our room was ready upon our arrival, about 1:30PM. we checked in then were taken by golf cart to our room. From reading other reviews we asked for a room in buildings 4 or 5, but were told they were full, and our room couldn't be changed. so we took the room in buliding 9 , which is on the far north (spa) side. which turned out to be just fine. At most it is a very pleasant 10 minute walk to the far south side of the complex. The room was very nice. It had a king size bed, 2 person jaccuzzi, a real plus, large shower, not to forget the fully stocked refrigerator, and liquor dispenser. Some reviewers have said it is small, but we didn't find this to be an issue. We didn't travel 2000+ miles to sit in a hotel room anyways. All the staff that we encountered were extremely polite and very helpful. The room was made every day in a timely maner and the bed turned down every night. One day we were trying to find the meditation room, where the morning yoga was held and asked a gardener to point us in the right direction, instead of telling us, he sent down his rake and walked us to it., an example of just how helpful everyone was. FOOD: no complaints here. with 6 restaurants to choose from never a problem. the first morning we had the breakfast buffet at Mo Mo No Hana in the north lobby,we enjoyed it so much. we never ate breakfast anywhere else. The food at the other restaurants was very good as well.
The longest wait we had for dinner was about an hour, so we put our room number in and proceeded to go to the bar and down a few margaritas till dinner time. The lunch buffets at El Greco and Mundaca were very good as well. We've read that some people complained about the meat. We found the steaks to be excellent, and the ocean views are awesome.
DRINKS: strong and of good quality, again what are people complaining about? BEACH/POOL: True there is no "natural beach" as some people might want, but the lagoon is gorgeous, with plenty of sand and lounge chairs. there is waiter service on the beach for drinks, but if you are in a hurry, it's a short walk to one of the pool bars. If quiet is what you are after, go to the far north end of the lagoon, there are fewer people and very serene there. tip: if you sleep in too late you will have a hard time finding a spot by the beach or pool. So at 7-7:30am take your towels and stake your claim for a chair. every morning while my wife was at yoga, which she highly recommends , I picked out our spot, then met her for breakfast. We spent all our "sun time" at the lagoon, but if a pool is your thing, they are lovely as well. SPA: do make use of the facilities The sauna and spa area is wonderful, and get a massage (extra charge) they are great. The adults-only concept is great, don't get us wrong we love kids, but it's nice to get away for awile. we found the ages of the guests to be a good mix, ranging from 20's to 60's with no concentration of any one age. A note about the cats some people have mentioned: we noticed a couple of cats walking around, but it's not like there are huge bands of them. We found them to be a non-issue.NIGHTLIFE: north(spa) lobby is more serene. A piano player gives some nice background music if you just want to have a drink and chill. The south(aventura) side is more active. a disco is on the second floor. In the lobby a band plays allowing dancing if you so choose. We know we're forgeting something but again, if you want to eat,drink,relax,unwind,sun, this is the place. It is fabulous, we can't wait to go back.

Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2004

We just returned from ASP, staying 5 nights February 19th to February 24th. We traveled with another couple and had a great time. The property is spectacular and incredibly clean. The weather was perfect, mid-80's and sunny each day. The food as many of the reviews posted here had warned was very average...at best. We ate dinner at each of the restaurants one time. My favorite was Mo Mo Ho Hana. They brought sushi and spring rolls to our table as an appetizer. Very good. After this the main course was pretty bland...a common theme with all restaurants. My least favorite was La Huerta. I tried a "fish" entree that may or may not have actually been fish. By the end of the trip we had learned where to find decent food though. The burgers during lunch at Mundaca were good, the creme of asparagus soup and club sandwich on the room service menu were good, and the chocolate cake served at La Hacienda was very good. If you are looking for a place to dine like a king don't come here. If you are not a picky eater then don't let the negative reviews of ASP's dining turn you away. The pool is awsome and definately not too cold as many reviews here suggest. When you first get in it does feel a bit chilly but the longer you spend in the sun, the more you appreciate the pool's temperature. If you want a chair at the pool you need to get up early and reserve one by placing your towel, book, etc... on the chair. The place was packed so if you wanted a specific spot you had to wake up around 5:30am. Take the bikes into Puerto Aventuras. There are a couple great places to eat and it is fun to watch the dolphins. For $50-$150 you can swim with them as well. We didn't but the folks that were appeared to really be enjoying themselves. The snorkelling was a lot of fun at Xpu-Ha. The beach was nice as well. This is well worth the $6 cab ride. My wife spent a couple hours at the spa and had great things to say about the services she received. The evening "shows" were pretty lame and the disco was average. Bottom line, if you are looking for a great place to hang by the pool, catch some rays, and drink a beer or 50, this is a great place to go. If you are more the gourmet dining or late night partying type you might want to look elsewhere.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2004

My husband and I spent a beautiful 5 days at the Aventura. All and all we had a wonderful time. The resort itself is breathtaking. Between the beautiful landscaped gardens and the architectual designs, these alone will capture your breath! Note to the "not so active", alot of walking is involved seeing as this property is extremly huge. My husband and I enjoy walking, so this did not bother us and just knowing the fact that we were in the warm air made it even more fun to hike around the property. The staff is very friendly and attentive and it showed as soon as we pulled up into the resort. I myself was very sick from the plane ride and the taxi ride. As soon as we pulled up to the resort I jumped out of the taxi and became sick. Right away one of the porter's came over with some tissue for me and then immediately ran back in to get me a bottle of water. I thought this was extremly kind not to mention attentive to my needs. When checking our information on this resort, the brochure's claim that their is no tipping required but trust me, bring alot of singles!!, your service will be even better!
The room itself was nice especially the beautiful jacuzzi tub that was right next to the doorwall. Only downfall about being on the mainfloor is that you could not have your curtains opened while in the tub, but we got over it. Also it's pretty neat how the room maids fold a different towel for you each day. Their is a little note by the tub that states each day a different design will be folded for you. Now mind you, if you dont tip your room maid she will not fold one, we found that out. Not because we didnt want to tip her, we just kept forgetting. The lagoons are a beautiful area to swim in. The pools on the other hand are always crowded and yes you will have to get up by 6am to claim yourself a lounge chair by the pool because they do go fast. The food itself was average, nothing that was totally magnificent. I would have loved a lobster dinner but they did not offer any in any of the 5 restaurants. The breakfast bar is incredible! I think that was the meal that we enjoyed the most. Now mind you if you love mexican food like I do, be prepared to be disappointed. Their mexican food is nothing like what we are used to here in the states.
Granted this is not their fault. Also be prepared for the ride of your life when entering a taxi cab!! They drive like crap!! Also in the evenings at the south end lobby their is a band that plays right in the lobby. We were their 2 nights in a row and had a great time listening to them. You could dance right there and sit right next to the bar.
Someone had mentioned something about cats. Let me just tell you this, these cats are not the kind that come up and want to be petted. They stayed to themselves and away from people so they were not a bother at all. One night we did hear them fighting but it did not ruin our evening or trip by no means. On average all of the guest's there were generally in good spirits and were friendly except for your occasional scrooge who just was not happy about anything. The disco was ok but when your riding a buzz it's great! lol It does become very smoky in there so be prepared if your not a smoker. The trip itself was wonderful for us. The surroundings were remarkable and remember, it's all what you make of it. Remember your on vacation!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2004

we stayed here from january 12 to january 19 2004. we had an excellent time. The resort is beautiful. we enjoyed the entertainment. met some nice people . we enjoyed a fantastic 80 minute massage,the hydrotherapy was excellent the staff polite. we had many great meals. the hotel is so beautiful with beautiful stained glass ceilings. i did miss having a beach but felt safe snorkelling in the lagoon. the room was clean with a big bed,first day there we asked for the pillow top for the mattress ,got it no problem. the huge jacuzzi was nice, the shower is big. there is a fridge replenished every two days. we ordered breakfast in the room everyday, which was sweet rolls fruit tea coffee juice toast jam..then we'd take our time going down to breakfast.great french toast,smoothies fruit...we were on the third floor and had a nice view of the ocean. we never reserved a chair at the pool or beach and never had a problem finding one.. we took the day trip to tulum and had a very informed guide. we rented a jeep one day and toured around the area. we visited the lapis jewellers where i got a ring, that was reasonably priced. this jewellery store is huge and you can watch the jewelers at work. no one pressured us there and they were friendly.
when we went into town, palya del carmen ,we found an internet cafe, we paid 1.50 for one hour hook up, the hotel charges 5 dollars for 15 minutes. tsk tsk! we went to the xpa ha palace one day and they had a beautiful beach we ate lunch there it was really good. although it was nice there we appreciated the fact that there are no kids at the aventura. no offence to kids but we were on our 25th anniversary trip and this was the first time away without kids!! we specifically looked for an over 18 place. we mentioned at check in that we were there for our anniversary and were surprised to find a happy anniversary cake in our room on the day.we tipped everybody. a dollar or two. we found the drinks strong enough. i had taken advice i read on here and brought my own snorkelling gear which is a good idea that way you go whenever you want instead of waiting for equipment. we found the prices at the shops in the resort better than anywhere else. we rode the bikes into playa aventuras and watched the dolphins swimming and walked around the town.felt safe no hassling from any body. left the bikes in a bike rack and they were there when we got back.been to other countries where you wouldn't be able to do that. we took the "collectivo" back from tulum..we left our tour after the ruins to do our own thing...anyway the collectivo is a mini van that runs up and down the main highway picking people up for 1.50 each we road all the way back to our hotel.
it would have cost us easily 20 u.s for a taxi. all in all we had an excellent time the staff are friendly helpful the place is indescribably beautiful we felt safe.

• Stayed January 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a one week stay at the Aventura Spa Palace (2/22/04). I would like to try and give a balanced review but it will be difficult. First - the food. It was average at best. The buffet breafasts were very good as were most lunches but the dinners were fair. We did not have good experiences at El Greco or Mundaca. La Hacienda and Mo Mo No Hana were good and La Huerta was very good. The service overall was fair to good. The waiters at times appeared like they were doing you a favor. My wife ordered a Cappuccino and the waiter told us that "he was pretty busy". I had to remind him of the meaning of the term "all-inclusive". The room was very good with a partial view of the ocean. Room cleaning service was good. The grounds were great! No, they don't have a beach (with waves) which we knew going in. The pools were clean and refreshing. Drink service at the pool and beach was good with an occasional $1 tip. The worst part was the wild cats. I am NOT joking. There are wild cats that roam the halls and stairways. They pee and crap where they want and the building stunk because of it. They also scream during the night which will wake you up. The buildings are noisy because everything is tiled. Hallway conversations at 2:00am are frequent and annoying. Hope this wasn't too negative. It was our first time at a Mexican resort so I am not sure if this is the average for the region. In my mind it is not a ***** star resort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2004

We just got back from ASP last night. This was our third trip in 2 years. I dont know what the people from Monument, CO are talking about with the food and the cats. Its too bad they didnt enjoy themselves.
There were eight in our party, and we thought the food was excellent.
The few cats we saw stayed to themselves and were quite. The Spa side is much quieter than the Aventura side, so if you are willing to do a little walking you can get some peace and quite if you want. ASP was busier this time than we have ever seen it, but we thought it was great fun. The eight of us stayed in two huge Presidential suites for $1000s less than it would have cost us anywhere else. The only reason Im rating ASP with an "Above Average" and not an "Excellent" is because the Hotel staff was not friendly when we tried to get our suites closer to our friends. Im sure these guys get beat up pretty good by folks that wont take no for an answer, but they didnt handle our request well at all. The food service staff in almost every case was awesome. Eddie and his brother who serve breakfast and lunch in El Greco (I think this is the name of the restaurant in the Pool side Palapa on the Spa side) are KINGS in my book. These guys teach me a lesson in customer service every time.

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!