“Not Bad at All. Pleasantly Surprised for the Most Part.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Chicago Area
“Not Bad at All. Pleasantly Surprised for the Most Part.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The vacation planner that helped us plan our spa treatments and golf was superb. He is one person that I wish I could remember his name because it is worth mentioning, but alas, it's been over a month since we stayed at the Aventura Spa and I've forgotten. We are Palace Premier VIP Members so we tend to have pretty high expectations when we stay at a Palace Resort, some of which are now becoming Hard Rock. I'd been watching the reviews for the Aventura Spa since October 2012 and was concerned by the number of negative reviews that had been posted. But I noticed that towards the end of January 2013 the negative reviews were becoming less frequent. I'm not sure what happened in late 2012 but there were quite a few unhappy campers. When we arrived at the Aventura Spa on Feb. 20th, they put us in building #9 which is the furthest north building and farthest away from the Aventura Spa lobby. This was difficult for my wife and I because we both have hip and knee issues, but we managed and thank God, being on the 3rd floor, there are elevators. I typically work out every morning but because of the distance and time it took to get to the fitness center, I never worked out. Also because of the distance to the lobby and morning buffet restaurant, we usually ordered room service for breakfast. I must say, that we were extremely pleased with the room service. They were always punctual and had very few mistakes with our order. The room service personnel were extremely friendly. We gloved every other day and then layed out in the sun on the other days. We never had a problem with lounge chairs as we were in the concierge area. So long as we got there by around 9:00 AM or so, we could get a decent location with a lounge chair. The service on the lagoon beach was excellent and very attentive. We did have some issues with getting towels. And the condition of the towels was less than what you would expect. I suspect that they are going to be bringing out all new towels and other amenities once they make the full switch to the Hard Rock. One quick comment about the food. It was decent to very good. As usual, the Italian Restaurant was the best restaurant. The spa scheduling process is dysfunctional in that, it's not uncommon for treatments to be much later than scheduled. I found the spa staff on the men's side very accommodating and attentive. My wife was not at all happy with the spa staff on the Women's side. When she asked for a robe and a locker, she was told that it wasn't necessary to have a robe or a locker. One day I walked all the way down to the South end of the resort to the Aventura Cove end and found that only the very first building was closed and being remodeled to the Hard Rock. In spite of what I've read and heard, I don't think the entire resort will be completely remodeled into the Hard Rock until early 2014 and even then, I would not be surprised if only the Aventura Cove side was completely remodeled by early 2014. Not knowing exactly how the remodeling will proceed, I suspect that there will be a lot of areas being worked on during June through August of 2014. Trying to get the facts about what will be happening at the resort as it goes through the transition to a Hard Rock is difficult if not impossible to get. I think it's a big secret but I do feel sorry for those unfortunate souls that make reservations for this summer not being told up front what condition the resort will be in and what will be closed. I wish the management would be more up front with the "real' schedule of the remodeling and exactly what will be closed and being remodeled at different times. All of that being said, we had a very good time at the Aventura Spa and are anxious to go back once the full transition to the Hard Rock is completed.

Room Tip: On the Aventura Spa side, building #9, the furthest North building is the furthest from the Aventura...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the spa resort March 30 -April 6. Yes, it was crowded on Saturday when we arrived and on Sunday, but by Monday a lot of the crowd was gone. Towel games on the first two days (4:30 AM just to get a prime spot with an umbrella), but after that, it was okay. Entertainment at the pool was fun; the guys did a great job.
We never waited at any of the restaurants, probably because we are early diners (6:00 p.m.). Agree with other reviews that the staff is somewhat inexperienced, and there is a bit of a language barrier, but they try to do a good job.
Great to be able to use all of our credits at the spa- massages every other day were hard to beat. Thanks to Dianely for helping us schedule a week in advance!
For those that's are shocked by the fact that their is not a beach, did you read the reviews?
We are a professional, over 40 couple that travel quite often, especially throughout Mexico. All in all, a beautiful resort, plenty of options and the facility and all the amenities are first rate.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Everything about this trip was incredible. The drinks and food were both excellent. We particularly enjoyed the Italian restaurant and the Japanese. We ventured over to the family side for the Steakhouse one evening and were not as impressed. It wasn't the kids that were loud there, but the adults and the atmosphere is very different from the Spa side.

The staff at this resort are absolutely incredible. They go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and it is definitely five star service.

We never had a problem finding a louge chair and thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the cove.

We used our credits for the spa, which was excellent and a couple of excursions, including the dolphin swimming and the eco park (we paid extra to swim and go ziplining and it was well worth it). We also did the tequila tasting, which was informative and worthwhile.

Our only complaint is that we have been unable to get in touch with someone at the resort regarding being overcharged for our spa use. We have tried three or four different emails and received no response. If you know of any way we can get in touch with someone, that would be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Overall my experience here was excellent.
The resort was VERY crowded, but what else can you expect during spring break and Easter week? The waiting at restaurants wasnt bad at all considering.
The chefs dinner and romantic dinner were both very nice. recommended.
I was in Trumpeto building, first floor, nice view, and not too far to the lobby and pool. The walk was a nice way to burn a few calories. The grounds looked nice. We tried the couples massage, my girlfriend who gets regular massages said it was the best she had ever had. You cant beat the service here, we tried to stay away from the cove side, it was loud and packed with kids. Food was quite good with exception of one evening at the Italian restaurant, kinda bland. Transportation from the airport was smooth and efficient, check in was quick, although the first room they took us to already had someone in there! They quickly found us another room. We used room service 3 times as our wake up call, on time and exactly what we ordered, ok,..well they did forget the jelly for my toast one day :^). The burgers by the pool were excellent. We took a day trip to Hard Rock Cancun, it was REALLY crowded there, the beach there is amazingly beautiful, we got lucky, as soon as we walked to the beach, we saw a couple get up and leave, scored chairs with an umbrella. Check out was good, we asked for and received private transportation to the airport, otherwise they wanted us to leave 4 1/2 hours early for a one hour ride to the airport, who wants to sit in Cancun airport for 2 or 3 hours waiting for your flight??
We will definitely return in the fall, when its less crowded.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were at this resort from March 24 to 31 2013. We are 2 couples who have been in many resorts before but we never had such a good food and service as we did this time. Il was simply amazing WOW! WOW! and WOW !

All the staff from the resort is amazing. We strongly recommend this hotel for your next destination and if you ever go you’ll want the have dinner at the Mexican restaurant to be warmly welcome by the beautiful Elizabeth and then be served by the professional crew governed by the smylling Ricardo. Ask for the coconut shrimp and the black bean cappuccino soup. Believe me you’ll ask for more once you taste it.

Finally if you have lunch by the pool ask William for special Will Burger it’s another ask for everyday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newfoundland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just returned from the spa and have mixed reviews, sadly, there were not enough good things to make me rate it any higher. Maybe we are a little jades as we always did Carnival cruises at Easter week but we wanted to try a resort. We booked a king bed in our room but apparently they don't exist. They asked if it would ok to put the two doubles together which was fine with us as this is regular practice on the cruise ships. However, except for the bottom sheet they had no bedding to fit the now huge bed. They used the doubles and rigged up sheets and duvets that bunched around your feet. A small thing but worth mentioning as so far anyone that asked to upgrade to a king room were always told there were none available at the time. The bed was uncomfortably firm and we both got up every morning stiff and sore. We didn't get a single good night's sleep. The room was a nice size, relatively clean but it is showing it's age. The staff were pleasant and helpful though the cleaning staff barely understood or spoke English so it made it hard to explain things like needed a light bulb or to replace the broken coffee maker. Towels were well-worn, and rough. Need to buy new ones. Don't buy anything in the hotel shop, way overpriced. Six dollars for a bag of lays chips! We didn't have too much trouble with sun chairs as we preferred to sit by the lagoon as the pool was always crowded and super noisy. Pool activities seemed to be enjoyed by those who wanted it and really that was about the most entertainment to be had. I didn't mind the lagoon instead of a beach as I don't swim. It was perfect to wade in without being knocked off your feet by big waves and you could snorkel, kayak and swim there, as well as watch the fish. We had some spa treatments and they were great. Only reason we did it was because we had the credits to use. Had they been full price I wouldn't have done it as their prices seemed pretty high.
The bad things? The food!! They had buffets for all three meals and a lot of it was dried out pans of food that was already gone cold despite that they had just opened up. We saw the same mucky foods every day and quickly learned what to stay away from! The burgers on the grill were raw in the center and there was an odd after-taste to a lot of the food. We tried the Asian restaurant which was ok, but we stayed away from the Mexican place.we had read reviews that were bad for there so we didn't even try it. If the mexican food in the buffets were any indication I think we made the right decision. The Italian place was hit and miss. We ordered lamb t-bones and had to send them back, they were so full of gristle that we couldn't cut them with a steak knife. They we're very apologetic, the waiter, the manager, even the chef came out to apologize, which was a little too much fuss for me. We ordered something else which was ok. Small portions though! Our romantic steak and lobster dinner was also marred by two filet mignons that were full of fat and gristle. Not good cuts of meat. Didn't see much chicken but what I did have was pretty fatty. My husband ended up feeling sick for the last three nights and really didn't want to eat much. The menus at all the restaurants were the same every day! There should be some staple dinners served every night but should be different selections every day! And yes, the alcoholic drinks were watered down. This is where they should make major changes. I have yet to have a bad meal on a cruise ship! And no entertainment in the spa, an adult only side, except for a couple of lounge singers that wouldn't get a job singing anywhere else. The "shows" were done in the cove side where you were immediately assaulted by the noise od screaming children, and frankly, they shows were boring and tacky. The place is closing soon to become a hard rock so wait until they switch!!! Oh, and don't get sucked in by the staff who try to sell you timeshare...they call them joining a club, but they are pushy and want your money right then and there. If you say no they suddenly aren't so friendly but will call you every day afterwards to see if you changed your mind and offer you an even better deal than before.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This trip couldn't have been better or more easier. Right from the start everything was booked and arranged. The ride from and to the airport upon arrival and departure were all handled through and by the resort. This is most convenient. Upon arrival to the resort I did have a small problem with the reservations. However it was handled quickly and courteously by their front desk staff. The bags are taken to your room and when you are leaving they called me to ask when I would like help with my bags to the lobby. I should mention that when we arrived it was the middle of spring break, so the resort was quite booked. As a result, I was unable to upgrade my room. The staff at this resort are exceptional!!! They will do anything and everything to make sure you are satisfied and happy. The question I got most all week was "is there anything else I can do for you?" The Spa treatments were great. Fernanda Vasquez is an asset to the resort and I should think they will do everything to keep her there. She does a fantastic job. As well as did the two girls who did our couples massage. Anayila and I can not remember the other name. The restaurants on the property I felt were top notch. The service was fantastic, and the food was always cooked just right. Maria from Pizettos went out of her way to make sure my wife and I were comfortable and happy while having our romantic steak and lobster on the beach. What an experience. The rooms are well taken care of by the maid staff. Lourdes was our evening maid in charge of turn down. She was fantastic and always left an extra chocolate for my wife who has an addiction. The grounds are well taken care of. There are lots of activities on property. Bicycles, kayaking, snorkeling, tennis, putting greens, monkey tours, and on and on. Too many to list. They have nightly entertainment shows.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!