“People who don't give this place 5 stars are on crack!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“People who don't give this place 5 stars are on crack!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

II just got back from an all inclusive package from Toronto, Canada to this amazing resort, Aventura Spa Palace.
As many people have mentioned here, the service is impeccable. I swear if I took a dump, one of the staff would come running to wipe my bum with gold toilette paper.

One night I got sick on my patio from too much tequila – one of the maids, with no English whatsoever, came to rub my back as I was vomiting. Gross yes, but so sweet and soothing!
Like a mother holding me… so great. ha!

They are there to serve and please you.
I was told there are 3:1 ratio of staff to members---So you can imagine the flock of servers awaiting any need you want to be fulfilled. Always with a smile on their face.
I also believe these staff make $8 a day… TIP THEM—they are deserving and the hardest working people I know. By tipping, you are providing to their families and not the Mexican drug cartel like so many people think.

Food: Never any problems. Never got sick, drank the water, no issues. And I have a sensitive tummy!
The buffets were good, lovely variety of fish, chicken, beef, pork, seafood, veggie options etc… however, when on a vacation, I like to turn into a “snob” and enjoy being served at the lovely restaurants this place has to offer. Try the tempura ice cream Mo Mo No Hana—I think we went there every night for that treat! The Italian place is amazing too… try the veal there. Warning: The pasta is a bit on the salty side… this may be do to the water. Still good tho!
In general, if you are a girl who wants to watch her weight, this is totally possible at this resort—each restaurant or buffet offers TONS of healthy options. Plus, for those Americans on here, you aren’t in American anymore, so portions are NORMAL and you leave there feeling pleasant vs full/lethargic.
Staff: Like I said above, so friendly, sweet and caring. They are not working for money, they are working for your smile and happiness. No fake-ness here like most of the resorts I have been to where they practically beg for a tip. I love the hearts of Mexican people! I wanted to take some home with me to keep me smiling every day.

Rooms: no problems. I swear I thought our room was soundproof. Never did I hear anything to wake me up. Beds are great, TV, Jacuzzi and patio with a hammock—all awesome. AC works like a charm too
Never any problems ordering extra towels, soaps etc. They come by twice a day to provide whatever you need.

Spa: Mexicans know how to give an amazing massage!
I often go here in Toronto, and nothing compares to the strong hands and love of a Mexican! My massages were all consistent even tho it was a different masseuse each day.
Pedicures.. not worth it—that would be my only somewhat negative feedback. It’s a quick pedi—20 mins and you are done. Save your credits for the massage treatments!!
You can also use the spa credits to swim with dolphins! Book this on day 1, it fills up fast… as do some of the other treatments.
TAKE THE TIME AND BOOK MOST IF NOT ALL YOUR TREATMENTS THE FIRST DAY… this way you are not disappointed that they are full before you leave and your credits are useless.

Like I said, no hoax here. Go to Aventura spa palace if you want a relaxing, no fuss, all pleasant type of trip.

And most importantly, ENJOY YOURSELF.

Room Tip: we were in Banjo section, room 1841. perfect distance from everything and soundproof!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

First and foremost - who are these people with the horrid reviews? I hate to say it but we witnessed 2-3 women from a 'particular country' being so ignorant to the staff. Perhaps it is these types that put these nasty reviews on here.

Our honeymoon couldn't have been better, with the exception of the weather March 24-26. The next 4 days were hot and beautiful.

The rooms are slightly older, but well maintained and plenty comfortable. They were very clean. One complaint was our shower didn't drain well but not the biggest deal. Room service was so, so awesome. We ordered numerous times and the guys were prompt and friendly. Breakfast was our favourite.

The food at the restaurants was great. I wasn't quite so thrilled with the buffets but all of the A la carte's were excellent. La Trattoria said the wait would be 30 mins and we were in in 3. Great service - pretty good food. The steakhouse on the cove side was amazing food - ribs and French onion soup fantastic. I nearly pulled my hair out with the kids running around and general chaos, but alas, it was temporary and we made our escape back to the spa side shortly thereafter! Kudos to the staff that have to deal with the craziness daily! Momo No Hana was our favourite. The pad Thai was sooo good, the sauce mmm so tasty. The manager, Pedro, made us a special appetizer on our last night - nice touch. He also special ordered us breakfast (continental) prior to their typical start time as our flight was so early. Super nice, went out of his way. The ?Hautna? (I forget what it's called - just to the right of Momo) provided us a special honeymoon dinner. They were very friendly and the food was absolutely fantastic. Come to think of it, I think they tied for our fave. I had some chicken thing with plantain root - so yummy! Different and unique flavour. The chef and manager came out to ask us for feedback. Was great.

The staff - so wonderful. Puts a new spin on service expectations in my homeland. They are friendly, efficient, and have such a high standard. Every detail is perfect with them. Jose at La Greca knew us by name and was very friendly. Same for Carlos at the burger bar by the pool. They made great food - hot and fresh, and great guacamole bar (serve yourself), but the little BBQ stand across them at lunchtime made me a very raw burger :/ they fixed it though. That was the only beef with the food - pun intended. Haha. The housecleaning stocked us up wonderfully, even extra Biosilk conditioner when ours was low, beer, water, etc. Great job. The spa - oh the spa! Wonderful. Hydrotherapy room is immaculate, very relaxing. I forget his name but the guy who massages me was putting me in a trance it was so great! That was couples massage. Did that twice. Second one I had ?C something (Caroline? That wasn't it - started with a C)... Who was also fabulous. I had a sunburn and she used a special lotion instead of oil and was very gentle and cautious near the burned areas. The manager also evaluated the burn prior to service and offered an aloe wrap which I declined. Had a pedicure by a girl who had been there for 4 months (again, name escapes me), and she was awesome. I hope she gets credit from her boss because I was very pleased with her service.

Golf course wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped but still great. Just dry greens was really the only problem. It was the punta pueblo jack Nicholas something or other. Had a great time there, great service.

Resort credits paid for the golf, 2 couples massages, and a pedi for each of us. Also a Biosilk package. Paid $136 taxes - can't complain!!

All-in-all a wonderful resort. Wish there was a beach but the lagoon was crazy and the snorkeling right there was great! Lots of fishies and we enjoyed that! Chairs weren't such a problem if you out towel out at 6. Alternatively, people did leave mid-day if you're watching. It is true tho that they could use more chairs. Was okay for us as we weeenon excursions 4 of the 7 days but I could see some people's point.

Thanks to all the staff for making our vacation unforgettable!

• Stayed March 2013
London, Canada

Visited March 23-31, 2013
We have been staunch Iberostar supporters for several years with their consistently good everything and would go back, readily however the Avenbtura Spa was above even the Iberostar (not the Iberostar Grand though)
The Aventura Spa was adults only.
Staff was exceptionally attentive.
Alcohol was good (Johnnie Walker Black, even at the pool bars).
Room service was fast and very good food.
A la carte restaurants were top notch although no lobster unless via the Romantic Dinner ($$$)
On-site spa was excellent.
Many or all rooms have a jaccuzi. Worked well but could have used that space for lounging with friends instead possibly.
Many rooms have hammocks. Ours (a typical corner room) did not.
Whole resort very clean.
No beach per sae. They have taken a rock shore-line and created a lagoon, built rock stub walls and filled them with ground chip as 'sand' so no strolls along a beach. Didn't matter though; it was all good anyway.
Greedy guests nabbed chaises at 4:30 AM (or whenever) by tossing whatever crap they could get onto the chaises and 'staking their claim' then disappearing for most of the day until they decided to re-appear from somewhere. Often, they'd claim several in different locations.
All in all, an awesome resort.
There is a family version right next door called the Aventura Cove. Both shared each other's a la carte restaurants, keeping the no kids rule in place at the Spa side.
It's said the whole facility is turning into a Hard Rock Cafe facility in the next year. Not sure how that will shake out...

Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We just got back from Aventura Spa Palace (March 24th till the 31st) and loved every minute of it. We are not members and had a Superior delux garden view room it was perfect everything was clean the bed was comfy, loved the hot tub and could see the ocean from our balcony. Not sure but I would say most rooms you would be able to see the water. Our room number was 1523 and it is on the ground floor but we had no problem with privacy, noise or maids leaving the door unlocked. We were with friends and they had room 3945 they also had an ocean view and a beautiful room. The service was outstanding and I have to mention Blanca who helped us with our resort credits she was great and we had no trouble booking anything and usingall of our credits. The service from everyone was incrediable and they all went above and beyond.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were able to get away for a week without the kids for the first time in many years. What a wonderful place to make this happen. This place had everything from excellent restaurants, fantastic service, a full service spa and salon, close to lots of tourist attractions like Playa del Carmen and Xel-Ha. We loved it. I would say that the only thing missing would be a beach with access to the surf onsite. For me that was no big deal as I hang out around the pool more because I hate sand in my shorts but it could be a concern for some. Playa del Carmen is a twenty minute cab ride away if thats what you really want. All in all it was a great place to stay. Besides the services there were lizards, monkeys and birds everywhere so we always walked with the camera for fear we'd miss a picture opportunity. Thanks to everyone for making the trip great.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is my fourth time to Mexico and have to say that this was a great location and resort. We were given a double room however they placed us in a king bedroom the next day, no hassells. We were not bothered by time shares. We took advantage of the $1500 credit, booked the couples massage (unbelieveable) and the romantic dinner on beach(What a night) The service was great, people very friendly but not pushy. Room service was excellent, we ordered champange and beer, no problem. Even called to make sure we recieved our order and that everything was ok. Not sure what others were complaining about, this is my 10th all inclusive and have to say I would definately go back. Highly recommend this resort.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Prior to booking our trip to the Aventura, I spoke with a hotel representative in Mexico (not a Palace rep in the US). My central question was: can a guest swim in the ocean and in the waves, not just in the lagoon? I was told unequivocally that it was possible to swim in the ocean. There was no misunderstanding about my question or what I meant. So we spent a fair bit of money on a trip to a resort that we would not have gone to, because you cannot, in fact, swim in the ocean, or lie on the beach at the Aventura. (And my wife and I had not been on a vacation without our children since our eldest was born over five years ago. This trip was a big deal for us, and hence a big disappointment, because we were misled.)

My frustration and disappointment were nearly total when it became obvious that one cannot swim in the ocean at the Aventura. There are large red flags planted in the breaker rocks separating the lagoon from the sea, and every map throughout the complex has clear warning signs not to swim beyond the breakers. I also asked at least three hotel reps about swimming in the ocean, and they all told me that if I attempted it, I would either be warned or 'stopped.'

The lagoon in which one can swim is mostly waist deep, but in many places only shin deep. So swimming in it is not comfortable either. And, of course, it has no waves.

To rub sea salt in the wound: the "beach," which I had also discussed with the Aventura rep., is not made up of beach sand. Rather it is a composite of sand and finely ground gravel. The number of sharp pebbles and small rocks is large enough that one must wear sandals on the 'beach' at all times. Initially I was puzzled about this, but after a day of heavy rains, I saw why this material was chosen: it is layered on top of either concrete or on concrete with fabric underneath it (exposed after the rains). The heavy composite does not wash away as sand alone would. During our time at the Aventura I saw not one person lying on the 'beach': it's hard, rocky, unnatural and uncomfortable. Everyone must lie on beach furniture. There is not enough of it, though, and as a result, people get up early and go to the 'beach' by 7am just to put towels on the lounge chairs. Were they to wait, they would either not get one or get one away from the water in some less than desirable location.

In summary, then: at the Aventura, you cannot lie on the 'beach;' you cannot walk on it because the man-made 'beach' only exists where it has been placed and not beyond the perimeter of the resort; and, most disappointingly for me, you cannot swim in the ocean at all. Don't believe otherwise if you ask the hotel management, as I did.

I would give 4.5* to the food and 5* to the staff and for the service, including the spa service.

If you do not mind not being able to swim in the ocean, not being able to walk the beach, not being able to lie on a beach, but enjoy an all-inclusive with fine food, great service, and an excellent spa, you'll be very happy here. But if you go to this ocean resort expecting to swim in the ocean and enjoy the beach - crazy, I know- you'll probably be, frustratingly, unhappy.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the "Concierge" side (the north end). It was much quieter, as he had hoped...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!