“2nd Visit, Pretty Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Jenner, CA
“2nd Visit, Pretty Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed March 11-18,. 2013: We are Palace Premier members and we visited this resort 6 years ago, where fell in love with it, hence the membership status!! This visit was a bit different. Let me start with we visit Palace resorts once a year, send many freinds and family and have never left a vacation feeling disappointed like we did this time. We paid to upgrade to conceirge level prior to arrival. Upon check in we were placed on the ground floor, with NO ocean view. We were happy that our two other couples traveling with us received ocean views. This was the ONLY reason that we upgraded. Our room had a few issues, and it took 4 days and many calls to get things fixed. Food was good in al la carte restaurants, but we were bored with the buffets after day two. We stayed 10 days at Vallarta Hard Rock in November 12 and never grew bored with the food. Don't understand why you can't find a simple taco or buritto in Mexico. Used room credit to do the Romantic dinner and requested NO children and couples only. Arrived at dinner all dressed for a romantic evening and were seated in the Pizzeria restaurant next to families with small children with their feet on the tables, and loud couples dressed in beach attire. Let me tell you, this wasn't a romantic dinner. The best part of this was w were able to receive a refund of at least our taxes paid for this upon check out.
Oh, the pool chair game was indeed being played. We were up early every morning, and if you didn't find a chair by 7 a.m., you were out of luck. When I spoke to a manager about this, they claim that guests aren't supposed to reserve chairs. Very disappointing that management didn't remove the towels and let guests enjoy the sun. Many chairs were reserved all day and never used. Next time, I will removed their belongings and enjoy the sun. A guest should not have to worry about a confrontation with another guest, but I guess you have to fend for yourself. I do recommend the tour to Xhel-Ha eco park, it wasn't that far from the resort and the snorkeling was wonderful. The spa services were wonderful, as always.
All in all, we feel that being a Palace member isn't what it used to be. We weren't treated like members, our concerns/complaints were listened to, but nothing was done about them.
Not sure we will back to this resort until things improve.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third flool will be quieter and might give you an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello TinaRomeo, thank you for your comments and feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay; we would have loved to assign you a room more to your liking; certainly because of high occupancy during those dates our ability to do so was effected; and we are sorry we missed our mark this time. However we are pleased to hear that our team was able to compensate for any inconvenience and rest assured that we are sharing your comments with our Management team for further review.
Concerning the unattended pool chairs, we are reinforcing our policy so everybody has the opportunity to enjoy the sun and relax by the pools getting pleasure out of Mexico’s fabulous warm weather as this is what we want our valued guests to experience here and we hope we can welcome you again soon to give you n unforgettable vacation here at Aventura Spa Palace.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Miane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The resort itself is beautiful. It seemed well maintained. Our room was very nice. We stayed in Trumpeto (far from construction) on the 2nd floor and had an oceanview room. I have no complaints with our room.

Service - I was disappointed with the housekeeping staff. We tipped our housekeeping staff (well) each day instead of at the end of our stay thinking they would keep us stocked with what we need. The service was hit or miss. One day we didn't get any clean hand towels. Another day we didn't get any coffee cups. We asked for an extra pillow on the first day and had to call and ask again at bedtime.

We also were not aware that we got any resort credits. It wasn't until I was talking to my brother who had arrived 2 days prior, that everyone does. This was not explained to me when we checked in. We went to guest services the next morning and they explained it to us. We did take advantage of the Spa and did enjoy that very much. Both my husband and I had massages and they were wonderful.

Food - The food was extremely disappointing. We did have one really good meal and that was at the oriental restaurant. The buffets were the same every day.

Night life - non existent. The resort put on shows in the evening and there was music in the lobby until 10:30 pm. After that there is no dance club or any entertainment. If you wanted a drink you sat in the lobby or the small bar attached to it. This was very surprising since it is an adult only resort.

I would not return to this resort nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi jbrown4, thank you for your comments, we appreciate that you enjoyed your accommodations and thought our resort is beautiful and well maintained; our staff works hard to maintain our resort immaculate for our guests pleasure. We do apologize for any inconvenience with housekeeping, we passed your comments to our Executive house keeper to reinforce our processes and deliver always outstanding service and amenities. We really regret to know that you did not like the culinary experience our Executive Chef has set up for our guests in our variety of restaurants, there is something for every taste you can choose from our seven distinctive restaurants offering delectable International, Italian, Asian and California cuisine.
Nevertheless we are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and you would not recommend us, we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again and make your next visit an unforgettable one.
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I visited the Aventura Spa Palace March 9th-March 16th. We went to celebrate our honeymoon/1 year anniversary and thought an adults-only, spa resort would be perfect. Here's an honest review from someone who has never been to Mexico but has been to several 5 star resorts in other countries.

Room
- we had a basic, garden view room (2965); it is very average. Small, but all you need. King size bed, flat screen tv, large 2 person Jacuzzi, some drawers, a mini bar and 4 bottles of liquor with dispensers, a bathroom with 1 sink and toilet and shower
- we had no problems with the bed as others have complained about - we found it very comfortable
- a hammock on the balcony is a nice touch
- room service was great; it is included and available 24 hours a day - we ordered breakfast the night before several times and every time it was delivered almost to the minute when we requested it
- housekeeping was VERY inconsistent; we tipped on our first day and received very average service; nothing missing, but nothing special (i.e. no towel animals like all other resorts we have visited); the next day we were left with 1 towel instead of 2; the day after that we received 3 towels and 1 coffee cup; each time we called the problem was solved quickly but why was it happening?
- our Jacuzzi was not working properly and it was never really fixed properly; upon check out the issue was addressed and we were partially reimbursed for our 11% resort credit fee so we were satisfied with that

Restaurants
- overall we were very happy with the food at this resort
- we tried almost all of the a la carte restaurants for dinner and here is my opinion
--> La Trattoria italian restaurant; pretty average italian food
--> Momonohana oriental restaurant; amazing Pad Thai! Great service - Orlando was our favourite in the whole resort
--> La Hacienda mexican on the cove side; good Mexican
--> La Huerta mexican on spa side; not impressed
--> Mundanca steak house; fantastic ribs, good steak
- all other food (breakfast buffet, lunch buffet) was also good; the barbeque by the spa pool at lunch was a fantastic option

Hotel
- the hotel grounds are well maintained and very beautiful
- the lagoon that you don't swim in smells - you only smell it when you walk by but maybe it's possible to clean this up?
- we knew there was no real beach but I gotta say, we missed it more than we anticipated. the 'sand' on the 'beach' is more like fine gravel; my husband cut up his knee when playing beach volleyball; apparently this will change with the Hard Rock renovations
- the staff at the resort is very friendly and helpful
- the nightlife at the resort is.... non-existent. my husband and I are not big party people but everything finished at 10:30! there wasn't even music on speakers in the lobby after this time. The martini bar was a bit better but there was no one there, just like the disco when we went... oh well, we just went to sleep and had early mornings instead!
- the fact that the disco is on the cove side was also very strange; why not have entertainment on the adults-only side??
- the nightly shows were okay.... just like all other resorts... the only thing missing in my opinion was audience participation; all other resorts we've been to always had silly games that they would ask volunteers to particpate in; at this resort this only happened on one night and only one game.

Spa
- AMAZING... we used a large chunk of our resort credits on the spa; my husband got three 50-minute massages, I got two 50-minute massages and an 80-minute chocolate wrap and we got the 80-minute couples massage; all AMAZING! I had a different staff member each time and they were all fabulous! I set all of these up before going, you can do it online. What they don't tell you - you can go about an hour before your appointment and enjoy the hydrotherapy (sauna, steam room, hot tubs, etc)

Tours
- we used our credits for the Tulum half-day tour as well; it was well worth it but a little bit rushed
- take extre money with you, there are great vendors at this location that you can barter with for some nice souvenirs (we were told at the resort that there is no shopping - don't believe that!)
- if you want to swim at a nice beach, take your swimsuits and towels but know that you'll have to carry all of your bags for about an hour before hitting the beach - no where to put them down (we were told we could leave them on the bus and return before the beach - not true; resort staff need better knowledge of tours)
- you will only have about an our for either shopping or the beach, unless you decide to take a cab back on your own

- we also went to the Punta Venado Beach Club using our credits. This was about a 15 minute drive away from the resort and we spent 6 hours at the beach club. The beach is pretty nice and quiet, only we were there (about 30-50 people from the resort). Don't let the resort workers tell you that you'll get free drinks or appetizers - if you want to drink or eat ANYTHING, you need to buy it. We expected two free drinks and were told that this stopped several weeks ago; again, staff needs better knowledge of tours. We did feel that 6 hours was a little long at the beach; take plenty with you for entertainment.

- other tours we went on included The Jungle Place (spider monkey sanctuary) and LabnaHa EcoPark to check out cenotes; we organized this on our own before going and very much enjoyed them; we rented a car through the resort and spent $65 USD for a one day rental; driving in Mexico was very simple, and we felt very safe

ETC
- The conversion to a Hard Rock was not at all evident to us - construction is currently on the cove side only. The live band played rock music and we loved it.. don't know if that's part of the conversion or not because it was our first time here :) The only problem was that there was nothing clearly Mexican about this resort - we would have liked to feel like we were in the country rather than just in a tropical area.

My complaint, not my husbands - after telling several people that this was our honeymoon, and after our travel agent mentioning it as well, nothing special was done for us... not sure if I should have expected something or not but I have witnessed many small things being done for others at diffferent resorts; like champagne and roses or a sign on the door... but nothing. I didn't want to go out of my way to ask for something so maybe I should have but oh well.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but would probably not return to this resort. We loved the region and would come back to Riviera Maya but the resort did not 'wow' us for the amount of money we paid. It is a good place to go to have a very relaxing, low-key vacation. If you have already booked, you will enjoy it and don't worry about a thing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello astef, thank you very much for your honest review, we appreciate your comments and feedback. We are very pleased that you liked your room and its amenities and we shared as well your comments with our housekeeping team to correct any inconsistency and always deliver a great service. Regarding the hotel facilities we are pleased to hear that you found them very well maintained and beautiful. If you feel like having a little more fun at night, our entertainment team is a great resource to find out about the nighttime activities. Regarding the cenote, I am glad to inform you that it is been taken care, as it is part of our beautiful and intriguing landscapes throughout the resort; it is great that you relaxed at the spa and used most of your resort credits on it, and we recommend that you do the Temazcal ritual next time you visit us, you are going to love it. We look forward to welcome you again and make you feel a true Aventura Spa experience.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'll just preface this by saying that I'm comparing this to the Dreams resorts we've previously been to. Might be unfair but the price points are pretty much the same.

Some good, some bad. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm currently on the last day of our stay but I'm so bored I figure I might as well do this now. Here's a breakdown of what we and the other couple we were travelling with have found:

Good
-generally the service was pretty good. Staff are responsive to most requests
-the pool areas are nice
-they seem to actually take towels off of chairs now so we never really had problems finding a chair
-the shuttles were good for moving between the spa and cove pretty easily
-the suppers were generally pretty good quality
-the bathtubs are really deep and spacious

Bad
-we asked when we booked and on arrival to be close to the lobby. Instead we're in building 9 which makes everything seem out of the way and adds extra time in getting everywhere. My wife is 5 months pregnant so we just haven't bothered to go anywhere whenever we don't need to
-the breakfasts and lunches are sub-par either through the buffets or room service
-room service orders tend to always have at least one or two items wrong
-the rooms are very small
-the beds are the hardest we've ever slept on and really uncomfortable. If you're a side sleeper expect to have to change positions several times a night due to sorness in your neck and shoulders
-there's no comfortable place to sit in the rooms as there's no couch or furniture other than table chairs
-very little selection in English tv
-there are no fans in the room to circulate and the air conditioner is really old and can't keep up

I guess if you like to spend all day by the pool you might like this place. We didn't realize how much we value the ocean until now so that's something to think about. Also, if you like spending any time in your room beware this is probably not the best place for you. The food was such a big dropoff from Dreams that I really can't overstate it. Just not a fit for us and a big dissapointment overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings Dana H, thank you for your review. It is very encouraging to hear that you found the service of our staff is pretty good, and that you loved the pools areas, we are working to ensure there are always plenty of lounge chairs available for our guests. If you want your bed more comfortable and soft ask our front desk team to report it so we can make it happen, We recommend bringing these matters immediately to our attention so we can correct them; our vacation planners team would be happy to help you book activities, excursion, special dinners and much more to make your stay more enjoyable, and if you desire to relax and enjoy more your stay in your room, with a bigger sitting area, exclusive concierge service and more exclusive features, it is a great opportunity to book one of our two-bedroom presidential suites, we are sure you would be amazed by it´s beautiful view to the Caribbean sea and luxurious features. Nevertheless we are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and you would not recommend us, we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again and make your next visit a true Aventura Spa Palace experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and in laws visited spa palace in mid February 2013. We are palace members and have been to hard rock Punta Cana, beach palace and moon palace. Ill make this a short review.

Our only issue with this resort was check in. Minor problem with no King bed and couldn't upgrade room with resort credits. As palace members we were told that this is no longer a palace resort it is transitioning to a hard rock and were made to feel as we were insignificant. The person we dealt with at check in was Angel. He was not very good at dealing with customers and was standoffish.

For the most part th staff was excellent! Our concierge person was Idae (sorry if I misspelled your name). She was a sweet and beautiful person! We all loved her and thought she was really great and patient with us. Food is what you would expect from all inclusive. My in laws loved the romantic dinner.

We loved the presentation for the transition to the hard rock so much that we became legendary members. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Excited to see updates when it becomes a hard rock. Wake up really early if u want a space at the adult pool. All gone by 8am usually. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2013
Hi Tmart518, thank you for your awesome review. We appreciate your valuable feedback and we have passed your comments regarding your experience at your check-in to our Front desk Manager to ensure we deliver excellent service every time. On the other hand we are very happy to know that you loved the presentation and even became Legendary Members, we can’t wait to welcome you back and give you the royal treatment.
Beloit, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Wonderful trip, beautiful grounds, spotless rooms and actually spotless everywhere! Service was great and anyone who complains about the food just didn't look hard enough. There was such variety and everyone would try very hard to get whatever you wanted even if it was not on the menu. The staff was outstanding. Room service was fast and had a great variety. There will always be a few people no matter where you are that are having a bad day, but as a whole, the staff could not have been friendlier. Spa services were out of this world. We walk for exercise so the mile from our room on the Spa side (we were in the last building) to the lobby of the Cove side was not big deal, but I am sure for some people this would be a problem. Loved the Tequila tasting, it was educational as well as fun, and the water aerobics everyday. Used our resort credits go to Tulum, spa treatments we would not have done otherwise, Tequila and wine tastings, and the Lobster dinner on the beach. Enjoyed snorkeling and splashing in the cove water which was full of fish and crabs. I was happy with the cove but my husband would have liked to have a beach.
Only 2 negative things: we reserved Consierge Level so that we could have an ocean view...even partial and we did not get one, despite the promo saying we would, and our request to be moved(which we have NEVER done before in all our travels). This was a special life event trip for us and the ocean view was a important thing so we were very sad but our room was lovely. The other thing is the "towel on the chair" issue. There were plenty of chairs...just not enough umbrellas. It was very annoying to see chairs saved with towels from very early morning with no one sitting there until mid afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi mjc0399, thank you for your great review. We are glad you had the opportunity to find out the variety of evening dining options and buffets we are sure the waiting staff will do their best to please every guest to make their visit unforgettable and don’t worry about the unattended pool chairs, we are reinforcing our policy for the courtesy of all our guests so everybody can get a spot to soak up the sun by the pools. We hope we can welcome you again soon and we will give you the real Aventura Spa experience you deserve.
Dartmouth, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Sunwing flights were awful. Delay after delay both coming and going. No water on flight. Consequently, they would not serve drinks as what goes in must come out and they could not flush the toilets. Had to wait hours to get into room at resort. Could not even stretch out on lounge chairs as there were none available-as a mattter of fact, I never once was able to sit outside during the whole stay! Even in the lobby we had to sit on cement flower pots. The only times I could sit outside for the whole week was on my balcony, which had no sun. Once we were able to FINALLY get into our room, could not wait to have at least 2 hrs sleep as had not slept all night on flight only to find that the bed was dirty. Had to wait forever for housekeeping to come put clean sheets on the bed - this wasn't starting out very good and it never improved.
Every single day they would run out of beer, so I'd ask for a rum, they ran out of that too, so I asked for vodka, they had the OJ but no vodka, every single day I would tip the waitress like crazy for her to find me a beer. She'd definitely keep the tip but would produce NO beer. It wasn't like I was asking for some far out rare drink - I was asking for BEER! They would not replenish the water bottles in our room so every day I had to go to the bar to get bottled water so we could brush our teeth. I kept leaving tips and notes in the room asking for water and pop to no avail. It was so frustrating! The food was good, but that was it. They had 1 night's entertainment in the sitting area by the bar, but the music was so extremely loud that we all had to leave (we were 5 couples). In all I spent $180. in one week on tips trying to get people to do what they were supposed to do - to no avail. Only once did I tip someone who appreciated it and that was the guy who first brought our luggage to our room. He was a sweetheart, he even smiled and said "thank you, now my family can eat chicken gracias gracias".
On day 3 - it went to frustrating to downright frightening. The man who moved in the room beside ours beat his female partner. We could hear every single punch and kick, with the female screaming and screeching for him to stop - it was the most horrific thing I had ever heard. Then after several punches and kicks the woman went silent - I was scared to death that she was dead. Then the man proceeded to trash the room, he was even throwing broken pieces of stuff off the 3rd floor balcony and out the front door into the open walkway, all the while cursing and swearing, it was extremely disconcerting. I know that wasn't the resort's fault, but the way the front desk handled me after when I asked if that man was still going to be next door to me, and if he was, I wanted to be moved - they treated me like, first I should not be asking, and secondly they pretty well brushed me off like yesterday's breakfast. I knew the Mexican police had come to get him with their machine guns in hand, I just didn't know if they had/or would bring him back. You'd think after all that commotion, the resort would be very obliging to all their affected guests to make sure they were comfortable - but they didn't care one bit!
For anyone interested in going to this resort because of the $1500. resort credit for spa and golf services, don't bother - it's not exactly what they advertise. We tried to cancel a round of golf and they would not let us, then they charged us taxes for the golfing that we did not do. It's very obviously a "come-along" to get people to go to their resort, because once there you see signs for an example, at the jewelry store where you can only cash in $100. of that credit toward jewelry and the jewelry is extremely overpriced!!
I've never been so nickeled and dimed in my life as to when we were checking out. It was unbelievable. They even charged me an exchange fee for paying one portion with pesos. I couldn't believe it - it's their own currency! I will NEVER ever return to this resort again. Even if I won a free week at this resort I would not go. This was my hard-earned vacation for the year - what a disappointment along with extreme frustrationand extreme fear. Never again!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello MissMaggieE, thank you for sharing your experience, we are sorry that after a long flight you may have to wait for your room, however I’m glad that our housekeeping team was there to make it more comfortable for you, and regarding the lounge chairs, we´re always striving to make our resort more comfortable and we are sure you will see plenty of them in your next visit to Aventura Palace.
Exciting new changes welcome you each time you visit our resort.

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!