“Who ever heard of a resort running out of beer every single day!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Dartmouth, Canada
“Who ever heard of a resort running out of beer every single day!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Sunwing flights were awful. Delay after delay both coming and going. No water on flight. Consequently, they would not serve drinks as what goes in must come out and they could not flush the toilets. Had to wait hours to get into room at resort. Could not even stretch out on lounge chairs as there were none available-as a mattter of fact, I never once was able to sit outside during the whole stay! Even in the lobby we had to sit on cement flower pots. The only times I could sit outside for the whole week was on my balcony, which had no sun. Once we were able to FINALLY get into our room, could not wait to have at least 2 hrs sleep as had not slept all night on flight only to find that the bed was dirty. Had to wait forever for housekeeping to come put clean sheets on the bed - this wasn't starting out very good and it never improved.
Every single day they would run out of beer, so I'd ask for a rum, they ran out of that too, so I asked for vodka, they had the OJ but no vodka, every single day I would tip the waitress like crazy for her to find me a beer. She'd definitely keep the tip but would produce NO beer. It wasn't like I was asking for some far out rare drink - I was asking for BEER! They would not replenish the water bottles in our room so every day I had to go to the bar to get bottled water so we could brush our teeth. I kept leaving tips and notes in the room asking for water and pop to no avail. It was so frustrating! The food was good, but that was it. They had 1 night's entertainment in the sitting area by the bar, but the music was so extremely loud that we all had to leave (we were 5 couples). In all I spent $180. in one week on tips trying to get people to do what they were supposed to do - to no avail. Only once did I tip someone who appreciated it and that was the guy who first brought our luggage to our room. He was a sweetheart, he even smiled and said "thank you, now my family can eat chicken gracias gracias".
On day 3 - it went to frustrating to downright frightening. The man who moved in the room beside ours beat his female partner. We could hear every single punch and kick, with the female screaming and screeching for him to stop - it was the most horrific thing I had ever heard. Then after several punches and kicks the woman went silent - I was scared to death that she was dead. Then the man proceeded to trash the room, he was even throwing broken pieces of stuff off the 3rd floor balcony and out the front door into the open walkway, all the while cursing and swearing, it was extremely disconcerting. I know that wasn't the resort's fault, but the way the front desk handled me after when I asked if that man was still going to be next door to me, and if he was, I wanted to be moved - they treated me like, first I should not be asking, and secondly they pretty well brushed me off like yesterday's breakfast. I knew the Mexican police had come to get him with their machine guns in hand, I just didn't know if they had/or would bring him back. You'd think after all that commotion, the resort would be very obliging to all their affected guests to make sure they were comfortable - but they didn't care one bit!
For anyone interested in going to this resort because of the $1500. resort credit for spa and golf services, don't bother - it's not exactly what they advertise. We tried to cancel a round of golf and they would not let us, then they charged us taxes for the golfing that we did not do. It's very obviously a "come-along" to get people to go to their resort, because once there you see signs for an example, at the jewelry store where you can only cash in $100. of that credit toward jewelry and the jewelry is extremely overpriced!!
I've never been so nickeled and dimed in my life as to when we were checking out. It was unbelievable. They even charged me an exchange fee for paying one portion with pesos. I couldn't believe it - it's their own currency! I will NEVER ever return to this resort again. Even if I won a free week at this resort I would not go. This was my hard-earned vacation for the year - what a disappointment along with extreme frustrationand extreme fear. Never again!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello MissMaggieE, thank you for sharing your experience, we are sorry that after a long flight you may have to wait for your room, however I’m glad that our housekeeping team was there to make it more comfortable for you, and regarding the lounge chairs, we´re always striving to make our resort more comfortable and we are sure you will see plenty of them in your next visit to Aventura Palace.
Exciting new changes welcome you each time you visit our resort.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

From Cancun Airport The Spa Palace is about 1 hr south on Hwy 307. We used Cancunshuttle.com to get us from the airport to the resort and back. Excellent always on time. Check in went really well.. less than 10-15 min. Porter took all bags to room and showed us around a bit. (Please remember to always tip well anyone who works at the resort) I was in room 1532 nice room / 1st floor. In room whirlpool was nasty and dirty. Pools were nice and big...but very cold. There is no beach. Only a lagoon which you can snorkel and Kayak around. The beach sand at the lagoon was very coarse. Bars are all over the place, so getting a drink is never a problem. I thought drinks were good, others in our group thought the resort was watering down the liquor. Not sure about that. Lots of dining options. Buffet style. Fine dining. Bar type food. Room service dining 24 hr. Entertainment in main lobby square every night. Live bands nightly and Karaoke on Saturday. Enjoy a massage everyday it was wonderful. Go to appointment early and enjoy hydro-therapy before massage. Have Fun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments I_like_to_swim, we hope that many of our readers looking to book in our resort find them helpful as well. Sounds like you really had a great time and with your comments and tips we look forward to make our readers and future visitors as pleased as you. Let us know when you will be back again to make your next vacations wonderful.
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a large resort with an adult only half, and a family half. We were in the adult spa and found that we needed to go to the family side almost daily to take advantage of some things (like they have a good coffee bar there, but don't have one on the adult side???) over there, but we never saw kids on our side. They give you $1500 spa credit which is really nice, but don't think of it as an actual 1500 dollars, its more like 1500 credits, because there is a limited number of things you can do with the credits and for the most part they are over priced. Having said that, we really enjoyed a day at the beach club, which was a very quiet beach with a bar and restaurant, massage, and hammocks. We used most of our credits at the spa, and had great service. They do ding you for 11% "service fee" so you do spend an extra $150 when you use your credits.

The food was good, but not excellent. The service was really good, and the buffet far exceeded our expectation from the service side.

We ordered room service several times and it was fast and good. The bar fridge in the room was re-filled daily and we had turn down service every night which was great. We were on the second floor and found that carts and luggage coming down the hallway made a racket in our room, and the cart traffic down the hallway started at about 6 AM. We slept soundly but our sleep was disturbed by the hall traffic.

There is no beach at this resort. I knew that going there, but our one day excursion to a beach reminded me of how much I love hanging out on a beach, so it is a detraction for the resort.

The evening shows are a bit of a joke. Corny but mildly entertaining.

Overall, it was a great relaxing vacation with super service, and good food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review G B. It is great to hear that Overall it “was a great relaxing vacation with super service, and good food” our management will love to hear your comments about the service at the buffet and room service. We are happy to know that you took advantage of your resort credits and overall had a great stay at our beautiful resort. Please let us know what we can do to help you make your next visit a wonderful experience.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was a guest with my Mom between March 11 - 18th 2013. When we arrived we were quickly checked in and taken to our room (1619) VERY close to the lobby (and everything else we soon learned!) Great room - if you're at the pools/beach you can avoid public washroom line-ups and quickly run to your room for anything!

Beach - Not really a 'beach' ..although there is compacted sand, beach chairs, beach volleyball and a beautiful cove. You can't really complain. If you want to see a beautiful beach take a taxi into Playa del Carmen for the day (180 pesos each way)

Pools - All reviews are correct. Good luck on a chair. My rule is - if I've been sitting there for over an hour & you haven't arrived, I'm going to move your stuff. Ya snooze, ya lose. Stick up for yourself. FUN atmosphere during the day - if you're looking for a party & music & activities, this is your place. Carlo & Minerva are excellent with the drinks... quick & I almost never had to ask...once they saw I was done, they brought me another. TIP PEOPLE!!! They work so hard!

Room Service - Awesome. Try the chicken consumme. It's all absolutely free (tip) & quick... anytime between 6am & 10:30pm. You can also order canned Dos Equis XX for your drinking pleasure... (the draft at the bars does get old.) Waldemar was the best!

Housekeeping - NEVER had an issue with anything going missing (didn't even use the safe.) They were always so nice & accommodating. If you want something extra - ASK!! 9/10 you'll get what you want & they'll remember for next time. If you're worried about when your room is cleaned, you suck at life. You're on vacation!!!

Nightlife - Fairly non-existent. We did go for the chef's dinner on the cove side & it was a nice little entertaining change. You can use your resort credits & you get seated at 6 person tables, good for mingling & meeting new people. Also went to the 'disco' (on the cove side - what?) and it was actually bumpin. Wasn't expecting that on a Tuesday after the reviews here. Also - this resort is (or at least was while we were there) primarily couples.

Cove Side - DON'T GO. lol. I paid for 18+ for a reason. Brats running around everywhere & it smells weird in the lobby. Stay at Aventura & you wouldn't even know there are kids within half a mile.

Resort Credits - Great!! $1500 per room. DON'T expect to get a room upgrade... Use for the spa (fab).. chef's dinner, etc. You can book everything in the lobby by the hotel shops (near the "VIP check-in") *Remember, everything you book/buy has a 11% tax (NADA) ... mani/pedi cost me $7.40 US. They charge it all to your room & you pay when you check out. You can also use them for special wines at the a la carts.

Food - Food is decent. If you're expecting some North American 5 star - you're in Mexico.. They're doing their best. Only thing that bothered me about the buffets were they were always the same, and you couldn't get a friggen taco. I came for the tacos!! haha. A la carts were good, La Huerta (Mexican) was aweeesome, went twice, try the potato soup. Coming from Vancouver, wasn't expecting much from the Asian ... but it was one of the best! If you get sick of it all, try room service.

Staff - Never met nicer people. They all run around working so hard trying to make our vacations the best they can be. If you just remember that & show a little appreciation (and I don't JUST mean through tipping...) they'll remember you & treat you like gold. Walk through the hallways & you'll always receive an "Ola!" I have not one complaint other than the squeeky carts being moved around at all hours on the tile floors - not the staff's fault, they're just doing their jobs. Management should maybe provide alternate routes? They also provide fun around the pool areas during the day ... the guys are all so funny, dancing, singing, pictionary etc.

All-in-all completely 5star all the way. Go out to 12th St in Playa del Carmen for a great night out, and the backroads of Playa for some great authentic Mexican food. I was never scared and never felt as if I wasn't completely safe.

Happy Travels!! Any questions - message me :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wow, thank you very much for such a wonderful and detailed review Photwizzle! We are so pleased to hear that your vacations were amazing and you have nothing but great comments about our service and the staff, we will let them know you thought they are awesome. Without a doubt the entertainment team is a great resource to find out the evening activities and nightlife in & out of the resort. Overall a great vacation and we are happy to know the staff´s hard work pays off with great comments like yours. Please let us know what we can do to help you plan your next vacation.
Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just returned home from Aventura Spa.As a Palace Member we are somewhat disappointed,The resort is in need of a update,as this is starting to happen with Hardrock starting to renovate.Much needed.The food and service was Good.not Great. most disappointed with things like towels,robes,all pool lounge chairs,most are broke.and you have to get up EarlyEarly like 6am to put your towels on so you get a chair.Now who wants to get up that early when on Vacation,we did a few days over at the Cove,it was not that busy and we had towels and chairs available.If you snorkel be sure to do it on the Cove side.it was incredible.the sweet shop was nice.the do need to offer more on the spa side,we have been to Hardrock in Dominican Republic.They offer a really nice coffee shop, pizza and ice cream. Hopefully they will do the same here.Our room was clean but the bed was terrible. Was just wore out. The trip was a Great Deal so not out of line really for what you get.The weather was perfect.As a member we will return but no untIl all renovation is done. We did see the up come rooms and when it's done it will be Great again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi DerbyCityLouisville, thank you for choosing our resort for your vacations. Concerning your comments about lounge chairs we have shared them with our Management to reinforce our policy in this regard. As you well stated, we're always striving to make our resort comfortable and modern! We hope to see you back soon and make your next visit unforgettable.
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The resort is spread out with limited rooms having clear ocean front and little to no actual beach. A cove is their substitute and is not so bad for calm water if you like to do a little kayaking, snorkelling and swimming. Words of warning...we had to get up at 630 am in order to get a spot poolside, so forget it if you like to sleep in on your holidays! The hotel is in the middle of a branding transition to a hard rock hotel so improvements to rooms and facility are in need of an update. The staff is consequently confused of their position in providing top notch service or just providing. Most are very friendly and accommodating. I noticed a number of people in wheelchairs that seemed to get around easy enough although not by the water. The food was a disappointment with limited a la cart dining and a buffet which was bland,oily and uneventful. We did not see one bug in the sky or in the rooms which was nice. The gym was well equipped. The spa services were good, if you use your spa credits. (keep in mind that they have implemented an additional 11% tax on everything). I tried the Mayan spiritual purification ceremony which was unique on their spa menu. The entertainment staff were fantastic poolside and the shows weren't so bad but lacked backdrops and flare. All in all the price was right at the time and the sun still shawn amongst friends and family. As members I will look forward to its new face lift next year.

Room Tip: Hard to get an ocean front with an actual view so don't bother paying for the upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us Rene705, we know many reviewers will benefit from them and will find them helpful to choose our resort for their next vacations to have the same mystical and relaxing experience you had at the Temazcal ritual. We look forwad to see you next year and give you with a great vacation.
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned today from a 7 day stay at Aventura Spa. We have been going to the Riviera Maya area for years but this was the first time at this resort. My brother- in- law is a VIP member of the Palace resorts so that is why we stayed here. The resort is on a cove - no beach whatsoever- but, I have to say we found the cove very enjoyable - the wildlife in the cove were fascinating and we really enjoyed feeding the fish. The resort is half adult-only and half for families - if you didn't go over to the family side, you would have never know that children were on the property. We found the food good but were weary of the lunch options by the end of the week - buffets get old. The food was good overall and plenty of dinner selections - would have been nice to have had a restaurant with a menu for breakfast as we had at The Excellence Riviera Maya. The resort credits were a nice option. The spa was very nice but the mani/pedi experience was a joke - the technician filed my right hand and not my left - there was no soap used for my pedicure soak and the polish was gone in 2 days - glad those were freebies.There were many negative aspects about the resort. It is changing over to a Hard Rock and I think this is causing many problems - and, it is a huge place. Our "concierge", Yoselyn, was very difficult to meet with our first day and when we made it clear that we weren't interested in their "presentation" to purchase into the Hard Rock franchise, we pretty much didn't have a concierge for the remainder of the trip - we never saw her again - I have never had a concierge abandon me before but that's what she did. Apparently, my brother-in-law should have been invited to a "special dinner" because of his membership but she didn't even tell him about that - we heard it from other patrons. We never had 'turn-down' service - not one night we were there - neither did our family members - the "VIP" member. Everything was extremely inconsistent - you would get something one day but not the next. It seemed that staff members were all working for different organizations- room service knew nothing about housekeeping - and vice versa. Towels around the pool and cove area on some days were impossible to get - even at 9 am. Bar service around the cove area was very inconsistent - one day we tipped a waiter well and he never even brought our drink - lesson of the day: tip AFTER the drinks are in your hand. The rooms are very small - a huge bathtub takes up most of the room - one sink in the bathroom and only room for one at a time and storage is almost nonexistent. We all had to leave most of our things in the suitcase for the week and there was no where to store the suitcases so they had to stay out in the already cramped room. Our refrigerator was never restocked - not one time. The rooms are extremely noisy and it seems that workers are in the hallways moving carts and chatting all night. My observation is that this resort is too big for management to provide the personalized services that someone should expect at a resort of this caliber. Maybe it's the Hard Rock transition or just disorganization - but, we will never return.

Room Tip: We were in building 9 on the first floor which was an 'ocean view' - no view of the ocean un...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello iloan4u, thank you for your review, we are glad you found our restaurants good and loved the spa. We appreciate your feedback and rest assured that we are passing your comments to our housekeeping supervisor and guests services team for a further review as we strive to provide always an excellent experience at our resort and we hope we can welcome you back soon at Aventura Spa Palace.

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!