“Book on the Cove side for relaxation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Vancouver
“Book on the Cove side for relaxation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last week my boyfriend and I returned from Adventura Spa. It started a little rocky because they had apparently "overbooked" themselves so they had us on the "cove" family side when we clearly paid for the adults only "spa" side. After a 6 hr plane ride and an hour bus ride this was not the news I was expecting to hear. Especially not with just 2 double beds pushed together instead of a kingside bed.
It turned out, however, that the family "cove" side appeared to be exactly the type of vacation we were expecting: quiet, contemporary, lots of beach chairs, no lineups for anything and no screaming children. Because we had booked our trip on the last week of February to the beginning of March there were hardly any children present, nor were there even that many people around either. Spring break starts in the middle of March so we missed all the traffic! It was great!! Therefore we had the best of both worlds, we stayed on the quieter side but were able to eat at all the "posh" restaurants on the "spa" adults side. Funny, because we realized that although the environment was mush more promising on the "spa" side, the food was better on the "cove" side! There is an awesome steakhouse on the "cove" side called Mundaca. It had no lineups, excellent quality and selection of meats and great service. The breakfast buffet, Vendana, was also an amazing restaurant with everything you could possibly desire. The Mexican restaurant on the cove side was also amazing! Try the mayan coffee! It comes on fire!!
All the restaurants on the "spa" side did not allow you to make reservations and you had to wait at least an hour to get a table. And the quality wasn't as good as the "cove" side.

The Spa is absolutely amazing! No problems booking appointments! They have over 100 rooms and are open until 11 pm. The massages and chocolate wraps were excellent! Just a tip, I didn't really enjoy the aromatherapy with every treatment, it was overbearing so I just asked for no aromas and it was just perfect! If you want to leave a tip, just bring the cash with you and put it in your robe because after the therapist brings you back to the front you never see them again.

Carlos the server at the Sports Bar on the "cove" side was fantastic! So kind and sweet! Cesar the server at Vendanas was also great! There were also two awesome female breakfast cooks making customized eggs, waffles, pancakes and french toast to order. It's obvious that all these people enjoy their jobs and are very good at what they do!!

Another thing to note is just decide what kind of vacation you are looking for. If you want a vacation for a couple that is relaxing, quiet and the energy is just chill, book with the Cove Side!!
If you are looking to party, meet people and want the frenetic energy book with the Spa side!! While at the lounge on the "spa" side we also experienced a bar brawl between 3 elder men and a server. I don't know the details of what happened I just knew I didn't want to be around it!! But it was all good and got sorted out immediately. Kind of perfect timing for the band to start playing the Rehab song while the fight started!

All the workers are friendly and happy and we were glad we went!!

Room Tip: The "cove" side is much quieter in general!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hi JLOVancity, thank you very much for your review; it is nice to hear that after all you found exactly the type of vacation you were looking for in the Cove side!, And it seems that you really took advantage to enjoy the best of both sides of the resort and this happy accident made of your visit a an awesome vacation, reading your review we are really happy to hear that you found many of our restaurants choices of your liking and that you had no troubles at all to find lounge chairs to relax and soak up the sun. We appreciate your suggestions to our readers about the Spa, and overall. We are very glad you came too and would like to thank you for sharing your experience and hope to see you again at our resort to make of your next visit another wonderful experience.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for a week at the end of February. The hotel and grounds were beautiful, and very expansive. Walking from one end of the resort and back was a mile and a half trip (we did lots of walking with the pedometer).

The food at the restaurants was very good, as was the service. All employees we encountered were friendly and helpful. There was a good variety of places to eat and food at each restaurant. What was especially nice was that many of the restaurants were not your typical all-inclusive buffets. There were upscale, sit-down, order-off-the-menu restaurants, where the food was excellent - small portions, but still excellent. That was a nice surprise.

We took advantage of the spa which was very nice. They really try to push the day trips to Xcaret and Xplore, which put us off a little bit. We ended up booking our own tour with 'Local Quickies' and had a PHENOMINAL time. Do yourself a favor and look them up on Tripadvisor to see what they are all about. You will not regret it.

The only real issue we had was with beach chairs. There simply are not enough. There were large empty areas of waterfront space with NO CHAIRS AT ALL. And there is no actual 'beach' with sand, so you can't just put your towel down on the hard ground. We searched each day from one end of the resort to the other looking for chairs. We (that really means my husband) ended up waking up at 6:00 am to get chairs, and even then, people beat us to them. On one occasion, we were sitting out in the hot sun because we were only able to find chairs with no shade. Next to us was a group of chairs with a nice umbrella that someone had gotten to and placed their belongings on at some point before 6:00 am, and finally at 2:00pm the women who had saved them finally showed up. 8 hours later!!! That is just wrong!!

If the resort would invest in some additional beach chairs, this would be an excellent place!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello wim63, thank you so much for your review we are pleased knowing that you felt pampered and had a great experience at the a variety of a la carte restaurants.
We at Aventura Spa Palace aim to provide excellent service to our guests at all times, and to help us achieve this, your feedback is really important to us. Regarding the situation you mentioned about the lounge chairs around the pool, we would like to make clear that the hotel discourage this practice as we consider that all our facilities should be available for the courtesy of all our guests. we would like to inform you that this issue is been worked on and we have taken the necessary actions to ensure our valued guests have available chairs to sit around our beach and pool areas. However we are glad that this inconveniences did not affected your overall stay and you still had a great vacation. We appreciate your comments and feedback and look forward to welcome you again soon at Aventura Spa Palace
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Like nearly every other medium to poor rating for this resort, trying to get the room you were promised is a nightmare. We booked in November for our trip in March - a group of ladies - and were told there would be no problem getting rooms clustered together. WRONG. We were in completely different buildings. And when we complained, we were politely told we could get our money back and leave the resort. Wow...really? Management did finally step in and try to make up for the mistakes, but only after we insisted on meeting with the property manager at the end of our trip.

Rooms were smaller and dated, and looked shabby and worn. But the food was good (not the best I've had, but not the worst) and the spa services were very nice. Room service was spot on (no problems) but housecleaning was ridiculous. How hard is it to remember to put fresh towels in a room? The best part of the resort were the waiters and servers - all were very polite and gracious.

If you're just looking for plenty of liquor, plenty of sunshine, and a bed to crawl into at night, this is the resort for you - but you can find the same experience at a cheaper place. If you're looking for the top-notch experience this resort claims to give...I recommend looking somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you need to speak to a manager, look for the people in black shirts. Everyone else is just a wor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Poissonoeuf, thank you for your review. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and we apologize for that as we always try to deliver excellent service to make our valued guests vacations an unforgettable memory. Nonetheless we are happy to hear that you liked our Spa services and found our restaurant´s food good. We hope you give us the opportunity to provide you with a true Aventura Spa Palace experience in a future visit.
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed from Feb 25 to Mar 4/2013. I have travelled extensively and this was my 6th trip to the Myan Rivera. It was our first time at this property and I have to say that the service was excellent! The food was great! We didn't have to wear arm bands/bracelets or make reservations for the alacarte dinners. That was great, it felt like a true vacation not having to watch the clock and get to dinner on time! I can't tell you much about the pool because I never tried it. I spent most of my time in the lagoons snorkeling, swimming and floating on my lounge chair. No beach to walk, but the lagoon was great, even when the waves were high, you could enjoy the lagoon. They even served drinks to you in the lagoon if you were near the edge. Our room was very comfortable and clean, the 2 person tub was fun! The 1500 resort credits were great, they only cost 11%, we didn't use all of ours (I had a facial, a 120 minute massage, 2 swimming with the dolphins and a tequila tasting party and it only cost me around $80.00, it was well worth it!). I have previously stayed at the Now Sapphire 5*, Iberostar Grand 5*, Valentine Imperial Maya 5*, Grand Serenis 5*, Allegro Playacar 3.5*. With this being said I can honestly say that this resort was my second favourite (the best was the Iberostar Grand) but this one is definitely worth a visit.

Remember to take a travel mug and water shoes for the lagoon!

Room Tip: Surprisingly, the ground floor was great (I don't usually like the ground floor). I was in room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi RickJody, thank you so much for your comments, indeed it is very convenient for our guests not to be worried about the clock as you can go at anytime to any of our a la carte restaurants and we love to hear that you enjoyed the lagoons so much snorkeling and relaxing at your lounge chair. We feel very privileged to be within your top five favorite resorts in the Riviera Maya, we hope we can welcome you again very soon to make your next visit another great vacation.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Aventura Spa for one week. I found it one of the most relaxing stays in a long time. The people working the resort are all very friendly and helpful. The food was out of this world. The Italian restaurant was our favourite but they are were great. No reservations were needed and no waiting for a table ever. The grounds were clean and well maintained.
We were a little shocked at what a great value the $1500 resort credit was. We didn't need to purchase and excursions other than those we purchased with the resort credits.
For those who like to swim in the open ocean this is not the place for you. Each side of the resort has a shallow cove for open swimming.
If I have one minor complaint, it was the bed was too hard for my liking but the resort staff addressed my complaint quickly and resolved the issue.
The resort is being converted to a Hard Rock. This did not affect us as the work was only on the Cove (family) side right now.
It was unfortunate that Sunwing Tours did their best to destroy this vacation. From a departure delay of 9 hours without explanation to the most unfriendly tour rep I have ever met, to a one hour return delay again without explanation.
Highly recommend Aventura Spa just get there other than through Sunwing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi BL21, we would like to thank you for your fantastic review, we appreciate you are highly recommending us to all readers and future guests. We are pleased that your vacations were one of the most relaxing stays you have had in long time, taking advantage and finding a great value in our Resort Credits promotion, certainly many tours are included within this promotion and you just have to go to book them with our vacations planner team to start your adventure! That is what we strive to give to our valued guests. We would love to welcome you again soon here at Aventura Spa Palace.
Clayton Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day trip with my daughter. I had stayed here a few years back and had a much better oppinion from earlier trip. The place is clean, although very well-worn. Everything is on the near side of needing replaced. Food was fair. I have had better at all-inclusives and I have had worse. Nothing was bad... but it wasn't great, either.
I did not get the type of room I reserved. I was given a room with a King size bed and had reserved a room with 2 doubles. After four trips to the front desk, I was finally moved to a lower grade room, located in the back of the resort on the lowest floor. I accepted it because I wanted the double beds for more comfortable sleep. I was dissappointed to have paid for a higher category room and have to take the down grade in order to get the sleeping arrangements I wanted.
The wait staff and the bartenders are wonderful. They work so hard to accomodate your every wish. It is a shame that mangement doesnt reflect the same attitude.
Resort is beautiful, although I did miss the wide beaches of the Playacar.
Overall, It was a good trip. Warm weather and beautiful surroundings. so glad to have had the opportunity to go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Rabungirl, thank you for sharing your experience with us as it give us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. I am glad to inform you that we are currently making several changes and renovations throughout the resort to revamp our beautiful hotel; this along with our staff´s excellent service will hopefully make your next vacation not only good but great! We sincerely hope we can welcome you next year to show you our improvements and make your stay a wonderful vacation here at Aventura Spa Palace.
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from the ASP yesterday, and we had an absolutely amazing time. I hope this review does not grow too lengthy, but we had a wonderful top notch trip and want to share it with everyone.

I will start with the positives...because that's all I have to say about this resort!!

1.) Food Excellent, we ate at the Steakhouse and the Pizza Place on the Cove side, both excellent, Service was prompt and we had a lot of fun with the staff who made both our meals very enjoyable. Other nights we ate at the Italian and Mexican places on the Spa side and again..top notch service and food, at the Mexican Place they server Mayan Coffee as an after dinner drink, very highly recommended!! Breakfast/Lunch buffets no complaints TONS of options and everything was very tasty, even moved the buffet inside for lunch one day because of the rain. One morning for the fun of it we had breakfast in the room, it was there and hot and ready to eat exactly when we were told it would be!

2.) Staff....amazing! From the time we arrived at the resort we were greeted with the up most hospitality. From the gentlemen getting our bags from the car to the shuttle transportation from Spa to Cove and back. There was not one single person on that resort that was not helpful in anyway they could be. Bartenders were great, drinks not crazy strong that you couldn't drink them, but they defiantly packed a punch. Aldo did our tequila tasting and worked the pool bar, AMAZING!! Edgar did the wine tasting and again second to none!! Finally the entertainment staff worked the tails off organizing everything from water aerobics to water polo and sand/water volleyball. They kept everything having fun and participating even on the rainy day we encountered.

3) Facilities were in great shape. With the conversion we heard alot of people say they have let stuff go, but we didn't see that at all. We had a lovely room, the restaurants were all clean, the pool spotless, everything was great.

4) Evening Shows were amazing, we were able to take in the Mexican Fiesta which brought in vendors and a variety of Mexican food for the tasting. They had performers and dancers alike that made the whole experience enjoyable. Another night we saw a Michael Jackson performer and a Circus ole type show, and all the performances again..Magnificent.

5) The Spa was wonderful as well, my wife and I both took in an item or two from the spa, and they were great. Prompt service clean and wonderful. Barbara did my massage very happy, my Wife had a facial and wrap and she was beyond impressed. Especially with the 1500 in resort credit don't pass up the opportunity to pamper yourself a bit.

6) Excersions....We did nothing that couldn't be paid for in resort credit. We had no trouble booking in advance our services, but we did Tulum which was amazing, the beach there alone was worth the 1/2 day trip from ASP. Also took in the dolphin swim that was only minutes down the road and an 8 USD cab ride one way there, also available with resort credit. Tequila & Wine tasting, great from season vets, but wonderful for noobs that don't know alot about either.

7) Resort Credits...book in advance or book immediately upon arrival. Everything was taken care of, and in the end with the trips, spa, and upgraded wine at dinner on our final night we spent nearly all our resort credit w/o a problem. Just keep in mind you only have to pay the 11% tax on what you use. So dont feel you HAVE to use it, but if you are considering doing a couple of the items included esp the SPA then you will have little problems using it up.

Over all a wonderful trip, the ASP has really out done themselves. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I look forward to visiting again after the HRR conversion. Oh one final thing. If you are traveling with 4-6 people, upgrade to the Limo service with Lomas Travel. Their shuttles run about 160-180 USDs but you can get the private limo for 255 USDs a very fun way to kick off your trip and to leave Mexico with a Bang! ENJOY!!

Room Tip: We were in the furthest building from the Lobby on the SPA side. It was quiet but a bit of a walk to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jeremey B, we would like to thank you for your wonderful review, we are sure many future guests will benefit from it, it really sound like you have an amazing vacation at the Aventura Spa Palace! We are so pleased to learn that you had a great time and liked the food at our various restaurants and loved our facilities, evening shows and our staff service, they are really the soul of our resort. It is great that you took advantage of your resort Credits and took several tours and excursions and booked all of them in advance to enjoy all your vacations just relaxing and enjoying of the beautiful Riviera Maya, we can’t wait to welcome you again here at Aventura Spa Palace,

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!