“Almost Paradise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Almost Paradise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent Feb 14-Feb 18 at this resort, based on a recommendation from a friend.
So unfortunately, we did not do any research on it and were very unhappily surprised when we arrived. Upon arriving in Cancun, our flight was 2 hours late, so the "Shared Ride, No Stops" upgrade that we had paid for was delayed. TraficTours knew of our delay, yet were not able to reschedule us into a shared ride promptly.
We had to wait an hour from checking in with the transfer company to getting into our 8 person shuttle. The driver was very friendly and offered us much needed cold beer and water in the van.
I unhappy because I had traveled to Cancun just 3 weeks prior and used BestTravel transfers and had prompt, superior service. I stayed at another resort on that trip and it was quite lovely.

Upon arriving at the Spa Palace, we checked in at 2:30p. Our room wasn't ready, as expected we were prepared to go to lunch. Our travel companions, unfortunately, were not so lucky. Their room was a dbl, not a king. My friend explained to them that he had emailed them previously, with no response, about requesting a king and that our rooms be located close together.
The front desk responded that they were at capacity and no other rooms were available and that they could be put on a wait list. Our friends were not happy.

We went to the Greco for a very late lunch at 3p. The food was awful. I am not a foodie, but even I have standards. We passed by the Main Pool. The best way to describe it is a 50 yr old Spring Break with loud, drunk,large, inked up partygoers in tiny swimsuits.
We quickly passed through to the beach, making a mental note to avoid this pool.
We walked the grounds and were astonished to find that the "sand" was crushed up seashells, and not even finely crushed. We knew there would be no beach, but found that you could not even see the ocean from the loungers near the lagoon.
This place is HUGE, I cannot reiterate this enough. I knew it was big, but walking from our hotel room to the main building took about 5 minutes, walking briskly.
Then another 5-10 to meet our friends, who were in the opposite end of the resort.

We went the the Steak restaurant for dinner. This place was also huge, as a result they tended to serve tables in blocks. The service was very friendly, but very slow. The meal was the quality of an Old Country Buffet. I don't blame the restaurant, because it must be impossible to serve that many people satisfactorily.

Our room was nice, not a 5 star quality, but satisfactory.
The next morning, we ordered an omelet and fresh fruit and it was very good.
We agree with all the reviews about the chairs.It is a big problem.
Since I speak fluent spanish, I was able to tell the bartenders exactly what I wanted. I am sensitive to sugar and I don't drink all those sugary mixtures. The pool side service was always friendly, but very slow. If you ordered a drink, it came back watered-down in 10-15 minutes because these the guest to server ratio seems 30:1. These servers worked hard, in the hot sun. We tipped them for their hard work. But again, I would typically go to the bar myself for my drinks.

For lunch, we went to the grill, which was very good. The guac, salsa and chips were excellent.
For dinner, we went to the Asian restaurant. It was very good as well. The tuna tartar was especially good. I felt we were finally settling into our vacation.
My husband was enjoying his resorts credits to the Spa and booked 3 massages for himself. All was good.

Then on Saturday night, we went to the Italian restaurant at 630p. For a party of 6, there was an hour wait. But I explained to the hostess in spanish that they could simply put a 4person + a 2 person table together and they quickly had it ready. We had the best server, Ezekial. It was a great evening.
We saw the Breakdancing show and it was enjoyable. Then I started to feel sick.
All night I had "D"iarrhea. The next day I was weak but wanted to go sit under a shady area and not miss out on the fabulous weather.
The walk from my hotel room to the beach area was easily 20 minutes walking slowly. The only bathroom servicing the beach and pool area was a trek away.
After 2 hours, I had my husband walk me back to the hotel room where I stayed in bed, still sick, still having problems with the big "D".
The following day, I was stronger which was good because we had to fly back home. I was annoyed that they made us leave the hotel at 10:30 for a 2:10p flight.
The transfer back was awesome and we got to the airport very early. This ended up being a good thing because the airport, mid-day is a zoo.
I have never been so happy to leave a place and return to our snowy 10 degree weather.
The next day, I received a call from a fellow traveler that she was sick as well. Then her husband got sick as well.
I have had this stomach issue for 5 days now, it is the first all-inclusive that I have been to where I didn't gain weight.
I'm a very experienced traveler, both for work and for pleasure. I have stayed at little broken down hotels in India and the Ritz in many cities.
It's all about expectations. I can say without certainty that I will never go back to this resort. While it has many good features, it certainly isn't a 5 star.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello mo_nin31, thank you for your feedback.

We regret all the inconveniences that you had with your flight before your arrival. We distress to learn that your vacation started off on the wrong foot with an uncharacteristically long check-in. We are very sorry that you had little issues with your accommodations, as you may be aware that as per contract adjacent room, connecting rooms; specific room locations, room view, or types of beds in rooms are not guaranteed although we do everything in our power to comply with all of our guest requests.

We also regret very much that you suffered these symptoms during your stay and it is important to inform you that the resort is governed by strict regulations that are set forth the Health & Sanitation authorities in Mexico and we are in total compliance with this.

It is worth noting that the resort had an average of 90+ guests a day, so if any food contamination were to exist, it would result in dozens of cases. We have no other guests reporting these symptoms. We are very proud of our F&B operation here at Aventura Palace.

We always recommend to our customer to bring these matters to our attention during your stay to take the corresponding actions, unfortunate we did not find any information in regards this situation in our records.

We sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to change any negative perception you may have towards our service and facilities in a future visit we are confident you will love our improvements.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I escaped the big blizzard if 2013 in New England with a trip to Aventura Spa Palace, soon to be the Hard Rock Resort. My plans had me leaving Saturday Morning. All flights were cancelled. Aventura Spa was quick to assist by changing my stay from a "Saturday to Saturday" to a "Sunday to Sunday" with no problems...even though the resort was at near full occupancy. While the resort was busy, I found the customer service to be exemplary. The weather was great, the food was great, there was lots of entertainment, and the Spa service can't be beat. This was our third trip to Aventura and we plan on returning even after the transition to Hard Rock. We thoroughly enjoyed the week and hated coming back to snow and sub zero temps.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Steve C, we much appreciate your comments.

We are thrilled that you had such an amazing trip, and enjoyed your vacations.

We appreciate you sharing all of your amazing experiences. It is wonderful to hear that our staff provided you with an excellent service.

We hope you will come back for another great vacation. We can’t wait to have you back for your next vacation.
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

stayed at Aventura Spa for a week with my wife and 2 other couples we traveled with. I'll break it down quick if i can

Negatives
- staff is always friendly, smiling, laughing, joking, go above and beyond to ensure you're having a blast
- food is AMAZING at all the restaurants
- always fresh towels, poolside chairs, and beach activities available, no matter the time of day
- $1500 credit was well spent , and the 11% you pay on what you pay was an incredible deal
- rooms have a/c , huge comfortable beds, giant tub . and great views

Positives
- i think i put on 10-12 lbs while there!
- we had to leave

wait a minute....

AMAZING resort and staff!! Can't rate higher than a 5 or i would. Been telling everyone and anyone about it, you have to go

Room Tip: away from centre court yard, and/or floors on upper levels
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Taco2013, Thank you for your kindly review.

We try our best to give you the best vacation ever and to meet your needs, we are glad that we could meet your expectations this time.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall vacation and that you took advantage from our facilities and bonus like the resort credits that always are very helpful.

Once again we much appreciate your comments and we hope to host you again in your next vacations.
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We are starting our 3rd week at Aventura Spa, we're here for 5 back-to-back weeks. We were not sure what to expect given the negative feedback. We're here now and continue to read the negative feedback and quite honestly, don't understand it. Everyone here works hard and goes out of their way to accommodate. While the property may show normal signs of wear and tear, we find the rooms to be clean, everything in working order and safe overall. The grounds are BEAUTIFUL! The food is VERY GOOD and the buffets offer a wide variety of food as do the restaurants. We have no problem getting into the restaurants and the service again, is very good. Everyone is smiling and working very hard to accommodate your every need. They do all of this without any expectation of extra money / a tip but are very appreciate should you decide to do so. Everyone is treated with the same fine service if you tip or not so not sure why / where the comments about the need to tip are coming from. We adore the staff at the The Greco buffet and find everyone going out of their way to provide excellent service and to make it a great experience. Nothing is a problem for them and we especially appreciate the fine service from the manager Lilia Heredia and her service team. They are wonderful and work hard to make you feel special. Aventura Spa is very lucky to have Lilia working here...she works hard every day and works to help or staff as well!

Regarding the resort credits, we have no problem using our $1500 resort credits! The spa is wonderful and we have no problem booking our services. We have especially enjoyed 'working' with Alejandro to schedule our weekly services. He is excellent and a great asset to the resort. There are also many other activities (other than the spa) to use your resort credits...trips, special dinners, photos, etc...

We also find the Fitness Center to be great! Lots of very good equipment, very clean and a professional staff. Special thanks to Luis Onidset and Jonathan Delgado Jaimes.

Jessica at guest services also done a terrific job. She looks for us every day just to say hello and make sure all is well!

We are having a terrific time and look forward to the next 3 weeks! If you are planning a trip here, you will have no problem and you will the love it!!! Don't even give it a second thought...you will have no problem!!! A great play to stay!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Rontrak, thank you very much for your kindly comments.

We really appreciate that you mentioned our staff, we will let them know that they made a good job and that you are satisfied with them service. We actually have an incentive program for the staff members that our guest mentioned in their comments.

As you did, you can take advantage and book your tours with your resort credits a few days before you want to go!

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, our fitness center is awesome, is very good to know that you took pleasure there!

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in your next vacations.!
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have just returned from The Aventura, and overall, we were very pleased. I would actually give this resort a four and a half star rating if I could. The food at this resort was very good, especially the steak, pork chops and sausage from the BBQ grill just outside the buffet restaurant at lunchtime. There was a good variety with very good flavors at the buffet, and the a la carte restaurants were all very good. The only small criticism about the a la carte restaurants is that you can't reserve a time or table, which means that if you go at peak times, you have to wait anywhere from 20-60 minutes for a table, depending upon the size of your group. According to our friends, the room service is pretty good (we never used it). The drinks are very good, and there is a large variety of them to choose from.
As part of our booking, we had $1500 worth of resort credits, which I believe all guests receive. You simply have to pay 11% tax on the portion of the $1500 you use. I went for two spa treatments (one solo and one with my wife) and they were both excellent! It cost me $44 in "tax" for my wife and I to get an 80 minute relaxing couples massage, which was preceded by a hour hour visit to the hydrotherapy center, where you can go in a steam room, sauna, hot and cold tubs and showers. What a great deal!
The pools were very nice, with a choice of going to the very busy and louder main pool, or the somewhat quieter pool just around the corner. The only other small criticism I have concerns the pools. You have to get up very early in the morning (think 5-6 a.m.) to reserve a spot at the pool. What we noticed was that some people put their towels down, but don't show up for hours (if at all) to the spots they reserved. The hotel should either monitor this more closely, or have some kind of card system for towels so that people don't just leave their towels unattended for hours.
There is a sheltered lagoon with a man-made beach built around it. The water is very calm in this lagoon, and this was a good thing, as it was windy virtually our whole week there, so the lagoon was quite appreciated, as the waves crashing on the beach would have been pretty rough. If you are the beach type, then I would not recommend this resort. We knew this going in, and we were fine with this.
The rooms are fairly large, and have two person jetted bathtubs in them. The beds are fairly comfortable, the closet is large enough, and the safe is easy to use. The bathroom a good size and the shower is easily large enough for two people. The mini fridge is stocked with beer, pop and water, and there are four bottles of alcohol with dispensers in a cupboard. There is also a bottle of red wine provided in your room.
We went to this resort with two other couples, and we all agreed that we very much liked the resort and would probably return. For what we paid, this was an excellent value for an adults only resort with the services available. Apparently the Aventura will become part of the Hardrock chain, so I hope they don't change it too much, as a few minor tweaks would make this place worthy of a 5 "bubble" rating.

Room Tip: The rooms at the border between the Aventura and The Cove (sister resort that allows kids) can be a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi CruncheyFrog, we much appreciate your comments.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay.

We have a variety of very good food with 8 restaurants, you have the option to go to a buffet or a la carte meal, in reference our waiting time, we will share your comments with our management team to take measures to avoid it occurs in the future.

It is very good to hear that you took advantage from our resort credits bonus.

Our facilities are very pretty and we are a huge resort, is good it is fantastic that you enjoyed it.

In regards the chairs, let me inform you that we are working on a process to obtain the chairs not too early.

We appreciate your feedback. We hope to host you again in your next vacations.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We just finished 10 days at Aventura and had a GREAT trip. They have added a wine guy -- Edgar led a wine tasting and helped us with pairing at dinner and we used the funny money to pay for the wine upgrades. It made the meals spectactular. Another new feature was a Tequila tasting and Aldo did a magnificient job on this -- and introduced us to a chocholate tequila that was similiar to Baileys but with a litte more kick! Also also tended a pool bar and did some great drinks -- try a Butterfly to end the day after starting with a Sunrise!! Both have great personalities and know their stuff -- makes for great vacations! There was some construction going on on the Cove side, but did not interfere with our enjoying the entire facility. We have been to this resort before, but thought the food was even better this time around. The activities person, Jay, always has a smile on his face and leads the fun. Oh, one more item, the Chefs table -- it is an upgrade but you can use the funny money -- and this is a really special meal. Very well done -- and it came with wine pairing by Edgar!! Looking forward to going back to Aventura again. Understand it will be a Hard Rock once the renovation is complete. Evenings at the Martini bar out on the water seemed to always find people having fun.

Room Tip: The lower the room number the close it is to the water. The room numbers are set up for first one b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Bob T, we much appreciate your kindly comments. We are very glad to know that our staff provided you with the excellent service and that your overall stay was as you expected; for sure we will let Aldo, Edgar and Jay know that they were helpful and made your stay special.

Our goal is that every vacation will be a memorable one and it will be a pleasure to host you again at any of our Resort.
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Good points - Matusalem rum, Mayan coffee/show and deep fried ice cream. Bad points - non-working rum dispenser for 24 hours, blinding sun in east window at sunrise, aggressive merchants on craft night, absentee Sun Wing employees when you need them and unhappy wife because of issues with the resort. If wifey unhappy, then hubby unhappy!

Room Tip: If you like a morning coffee at sunrise, then face north or west! Stay clear of utility rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Penelope S, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello Daniel B, we appreciate your feedback.

We regret to hear that you had a bad experience with your travel agency Sunwing, but as you may already know this is an independent contractor and we are not allow to take measures in their procedures and process, anyway we will pass your comments to their management team.

We rarely receive comments concerning our room views towards our natural areas.

We appreciate that you mentioned our special amenities like the Mayan Coffee which is one of the most famous dishes here in our resort. We regret your perception about your overall vacation.

We hope to give us the opportunity to host you again to show you our improvements.

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!