“really a great place...i swear people just like to complain” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
toronto
“really a great place...i swear people just like to complain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This resorts great…we stayed from Jan 31-March 7th and it was a great relaxing time.

Rooms:
The beds are kind of hard, but it was a nice room, cleaned daily, sometimes twice. There is a hammock on every balcony and it’s great to lie in. Room service was great, friendly and pretty quick. They also prefer that when you’re done with the dishes to call them, and they will come and get them rather than just leaving them outside your door…but either way no complaint.

Beach:
The beach well..the lagoon….it’s pretty cool. The Myan isn’t known for its beaches anyhow, so they did a great job making it a fun place to swim in the ocean. No waves and a great place to snorkel.

Pool:
We spent much of our time by the volleyball pool where there was always towels, drinks and entertainment from the staff. The swim up pool was closed due to the fact that the roof was being replaced…but whatever…maintance needs to be done sometimes, and we had to get drinks from one of the other dozen bars within 20 feet of it….really it was no big deal. I think the staff and management handled it just fine, but setting up a temp beach buffet with an open grill and food served most all day.

Loungers:
Yes people complain about the loungers, and I get up at 7am most times anyhow so I would go grab a lounger for my wife and myself. This is something that is done at every resort I have ever been at…so it’s not a surprise people!!! There were days where we wandered out at 10am, and still got chairs…so suck it up folks..you’re on vacation! After I got sun burnt, I had some issues getting a shady spot as the sun moves so quick….but whatever…that’s my biggest complaint..haha
If anything I had other guests complain to me because I beat them to their “regular” spot, and they felt I should move….

Food:
Breakfast and lunch buffets were pretty standard…nothing out of this world, but still great food…it’s a buffet..what do you expect?
Dinner….we loved the “La Hacienda” on the cove side, and the Japanese restaurant on the spa side the best. We tried the steakhouse on the cove side, and the service was kind of crappy, and the steak was tough….so we left, and went somewhere else…I mean hey, there’s tons of other places to eat!

Bars/Entertainment:
The staff was excellent at the resort, all the bartenders were fun, and the entertainment staff did their best to keep people who wanted to be…busy…I can’t remember them all but I know jack, and Baxter were always up for jokes, and keeping the staff entertained. For the Superbowl, they opened up the convention centre, and played the game on big screens with lots of drinks and snacks….they didn’t have to do that, but lots of people seemed to enjoy it.

My only complaint was the lack of different activities…everyday it was aerobics, volleyball (water or beach) and trivia…. I tried the rock climbing wall….but I’ll be honest, I didn’t feel overly safe with the rusty equipment..haha, it would have been nice if there was pottery, or archery, or other games or activities to do a little out of the sun for those days when your sun burnt..but I was there to relax and relax I did.

Room Tip: most things in the gift shop are expensive like "feminine products" or smokes so buy them...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello Skootaboi, We are very happy to know that our staff provided you with the excellent service and that we satisfied your expectations, for sure we will let Baxter and Jack know that they were helpful.
We actually have an incentive program for the staff members that our guest mentioned in their comments.

Once again than you for your comments and we hope to host again you in your next vacations.

Sincerely.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beautiful resort, about to undergo major rebranding and renovations. Perfect lagoon beach for children. Restaurants excellant food and presentation. Spa facilities are wonderful. Pool lounge policy is nonexistant and lounges are covered in towels from early morning. There is no staff to monitor towel/lounge use and it is difficult to find a lounge to use..

Room Tip: If you want a hammock, do not ask for a corner suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello Dlpsurrey , thank you very much for your comments, we are happy to know that you spent a good time in our resort and that you enjoyed this experience. The lagoon is an authentic natural wonder where you can do kayak, snorkel and more, you took advantage for our facilities.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again in your next vacations. Best Regards.
Commerce Township, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went from Jan31-Feb9
First and foremost we were very disappointed to hear that we were mislead about the stay at 1 play at 6, that all the advertisements read and what our travel agent advised us of!
Come to find out, you cannot go to any of the other resorts unless you're a "member"! We immediately contacted our agent who said it sounded like a "hard sell sales pitch" and that she'd not heard of that before and to ask someone else, which we did, 1 in the vacation planners area and 1 at the desk- we were advised by all, that we were not allowed to go to other resorts unless we were members!

Also, even though their advertisements promote that they have top shelf liquor.....they don't.... they didn't even have Bacardi Light> we were advised upon asking 3 times, that we could only get this in our room if we were on the concierge level! And finding Bacardi at any bar was also a no go...so I then switched to captain morgan....to find that only some bars have captain?? Really no captain or Bacardi? Found this very frustrating... then another staff member said they were getting rid of it and switching to appleton jamaican rum for cost reasons? Which, I did try, but will say it was FAR from what I was looking for.....

I agree with what others have noted about the credits..... def not all they're chalked up to be, but really nothing is for free... so use them at the spa if nothing else, but be prepared to not get what you've asked for..... good/decent massages, but wether you request a male or a female, or request a specific therapist etc, you will simply get whomever they give you that moment. We did 4 massages and 2 of the 4 we received male therapist vs females that we'd requested and on 1 of them we didnt like one of our therapists so we requested someone specific for the next day...and what do you know, even though our tickets said we were with 2 ppl that we'd requested....we somehow got the SAME lady we complained about the day prior? So, decent massages/services, yes...but overall poor experience....also, on the first day, my husband and i checked in at same time but I was sitting int he waiting area waiting for him for 20 min and when he finally met me in there Id asked where were you? He had a neck wrap and told me all about the sauna and wet rooms and jaccuzzi etc he used in his spa??? I wasn't ever told about any of that, shown it, and i didn't even get a neck wrap?Was happy for him that he got to experience it, but felt jipped that no one showed me...so if you go to the spa, go early and enjoy, it's very nice back there but if you dont know its there you'll miss it. And watch the time...we were supposed to get 80 min's every time and 2 times we were shorted, once shorted by 15 min and the other time shorted by 12 min. if they take you in later than your appt time is scheduled to start, due to them running behind with guest prior, your service should not be cut short...so watch this.

The worst part was, their main pool, the swim up bar/center of their entertainment pool, was CLOSED for 7 out of our 8 day vacation!!!! The ambiance for the first week was very mello, kinda drab, relaxing, but yet by 3/4pm we were bored out of our minds. They were regrouting the pool and re roofing the bar etc, but for 7 days straight>? REALLY? It really made the atmosphere quite lame all day everyday, until they opened it our last day! WOW did we ever miss out! The main pool was SOOOO FUN once it opened! DEF the "happening spot of the resort, just very disappointed it was closed for the whole week we were there, very poor management to spend a whole week grouting your main area, one staffer told us they did it because their occupancy was at a low (which we def observed) and thats why they chose to do it then...sad for us, as we had more fun on our last day than we did the whole trip!

Overall, it was ok, relaxing....but until the pool opened, it was a little boring during the day esp with no bacardi to drink (and if you're a diet coke person...good luck, most bars that have the pump are pepsi not coke)......

Don't think we'd go back, just too many misleading things that didn't add up to all their hype and advertisements > like top shelf liquor, in which bacardi and captain are BOTH listed.... the main pool being closed really put a damper on things & not being able to go to any other resorts as promoted and promised was also very disappointing as we would not have paid that much money to go to one, we justified it because we could visit all..... which you can....IF you're a "member"- just very misleading.

Room Tip: get concierge level if you want good liquor in your room def dont stay on the ground level ocean v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello mel h, Accept my apologies for all the inconveniences that you may have experienced during your stay. Regarding the resort credits, remember that we provide you with an extra bonus, we offer it to our valuate guests, the spa is not the only place where you can use it, there are several places where you can take advantage like snorkel, golf, atv tours, archeological excursions, golf, swim with the dolphins and more. About your comments for alcohol, allow me to inform you that we offer Bacardi in all the bars, so you can go many times as you want to take a drink; there are different room sections, you´ll receive amenities depending of what you pay, however we include alcohol in all of our rooms. We apologies for any disinformation concerning our resorts, as a guest you are able to go only to Hard Rock Cancun and it´s depending of the availability. We been in a construction period, we closed the pool area for only 1 day, meanwhile our bar staff was attending our guest requests and our entertainment team was with their regular activities. The palapa was closed for 4 days, during that time pool area was working with a regular program.

Once again we apologies for any inconvenience you may have experience.

Best Regards.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just got back from a week at Aventura. I would have to agree with the bulk of the recent reviews published on trip advisor regarding this hotel. To sum it up..you get what you pay. I had originally booked another hotel close by, but at more than double the cost. We had been to Aventura about 10 years ago and had a good trip. We decided to give it another try. It was great, but certainly on the decline of 5 stars. Good value for the price and resort credits are nice. Some takeaways;

Check in will undoubtedly be an issue. We arrived a little early due to flights and assumed our room was not going to be ready. No problem. We were told to go grab lunch and come back at 3. We gave them plenty of time and came back after 4. Still not ready. Come back in another 1/2 hour. Somewhere close to 5, and after requesting a manager they gave us a room key ( no direction towards room, no resort information, no resort credit information, etc) to try and make me happy. Not a huge issue, but after traveling 15 hrs, it would be great just to know a room will be ready close to their 3pm check in mark. At least offer a place to change or relax as we had just flown in from freezing weather. I saw/heard several guests going through the same issue.

We booked an ocean view room. You could kind of see some of the ocean through some trees. What more can I say. I knew is wasn't 'oceanfront'. But...be forewarned. Again, not a huge issue for me, but why bother paying more for it? After mentioning it to someone the response was 'well, you can see the ocean right-it is a very good room'.

Food was good. Kind of repetitive after day 6 or 7. But warm, tasty, and plenty of it. We tried most all the restaurants. Fresh fruit was good. Sushi was only tuna and salmon. Not the best I've ever had but certainly adequate. Buffet was good. If you don't want to wait for an hour for a table, go right at 6pm or close to it. We figured this out quickly and didn't have to wait more than a few minutes usually. Didn't try and Cove restaurants really, other than lunch station by pool. Just lacking variety. Same menus usually everyday. Some odd menu choices too...we do all inclusives every year and understand the concept of trying to reuse leftovers for other meals. But pork loin, beef, chicken, tacos, some heavier dishes at the breakfast buffet?

Yes, what everybody said about reserving beach chairs at 6am is 100% true. We saw people fighting over chairs everyday. Get out early or keep looking. We didn't have any issues are there are a lot of little cove spots, but if you want a prime spot at the pools or main lagoon..get out early. People steal chairs, this resulting in people arguing about it. Try the Cove side. You will have to sit in proximity of small kids and families, but plenty of chairs, huge pools, same service, underbooked side of the resort (at least this week it was).

We ventured over to the Cove side one day and almost had the place to ourselves. Seems like they aren't booking this side very much as there is ongoing Hard Rock construction in some of the further buildings.

No problem getting drinks..top shelf or otherwise. Waitress service was sometimes slow, but there are bars every 20 feet so not a huge deal.

Spa was great! I'm not much of a as person, but since we had the credits to use, we did. All great services. We did several wraps, massages, my wife got nails done etc. no complaints here.

That's really the big pieces. Weather was great. Resort is huge, a lot of walking. If you are expecting a Secrets, or Mayakoba, or newer Palace resort, you will be disappointed. The hotel is showing its age and the staff appears somewhat new. Sometimes confused on what you are looking for. But they all go out of their way to say hello and try to help. We did tip here and there through the week and you could tell it was appreciated.
If you are looking for an affordable place, slightly worn, with good food, pools, lagoons, and resort credits, this s a great place. Just educate yourself of some of the particulars. Yes, no beach, yes 11% fee using resort credits. Still worthwhile. Would go back. Curious to see what Hard Rock does with it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ryan T, thank you very much for sharing your comments. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. You took advantage for the spa treatments. We actually have massages, facials, hydrotherapies, it`s a good place to spend your resort credits, but don’t forget the tours that we have and the excellent dinners. Like you said before our restaurants are delicious, we have a variety of flavors.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again in your next vacations. Sincerely
Temple, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for 7 night and had the time of our life, we went over to the cove side for pool and some resturants...both areas were awesome, food was awesome. Staff is very friendly and cater to every need, no matter how big or small. We were concerned about the enclosed in beach which turned out to be very nice with out worrying about waves. LOVED IT and planning another trip soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Dorena G, want to say thank you for your comments and as you know our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you are having a wonderful and enjoyable experience here at Aventura Palace.
Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again in your next vacations.
Best Regards
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just my husband and myself when for the week for our anniversary. Our room was supposed to be upgraded however this did not happen. WE had a room on the mail floor 1545 with a hammock and double jacuzzi tub, I think all the rooms have this. It was a great room a bit loud in the mornings due to the carts going up and down the halls.
We stayed at the Spa Side the Cove side appreared to be empty.
No need to bring shampoo or conditioner they have larger bottles of Biolage very nice, along with a bottle of biolage body cream. Housecoats and slippers as well.
Also there is free out going calls to Canada and the USA..and it was free we made calls everyday. The wifi was good in our room and around the pools.
Room service is 24 hrs and its great a few times we ordered and it only toook 30 minutes.
The credits are great 1500 my husband went golfing almost everyday sunwing allows you to bring your own clubs for free on the airline however the others charge. Golf clubs are 50 to rent and a small bag of balls are 20. Everything else is free transportion food drinks, great deal. Yes you have to pay 11% on what credits you use but honestly I think everyone knows you get nothing for free! Its a great deal pay 165 for 1500 work of credits good deal in my books. We had the romantic dinner which was romanic however the steak and lobster were not soo good mignon was cooked like a roast in the oven so no medium rare! all well done... and the lobster was overcooked we had to scrape it out of the shell... but it was romantic!
WE had our pictures done I will attach some also used the credits pictures could not be photoshop. Credits can be used to have your hair washed and blown dry, I had an updo it cost me 67. Didnt use the spa.
Didnt see any of the shows we hung out at the lounge and meet lots of people.
Staff were very friendly throughout the resort.
Coffee and Mayan coffee are great. Lagoon is good for snorkeling and it is warm not very deep either. We used the kayaks it was a good time.
Pools are very cold not sure why they are so cold even at the end of the day they are freezing. We still swam in the pools but preferred the lagoons.
We spent the day in Xel-Ha it was great 99 per person for the whole day food and drinks included.
Restaurants were good really liked the steak house, Super Bowl Sunday they put on a huge spread 1400 people were there it was a great time!
We did have a good time however I wouldnt go back to this resort a second time. We were very disappointed that they dont do anything for anniversarys, they could learn a few things from the Majectic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Travelmate09, Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we are proud that you took advantage from the resort credits, there are many places to go and several things to do, Golf Tour is one of the most liked, also there are spa treatments, swimming with the dolphins, pyramid tours and dinners. We are famous by our Mayan coffee which is one of our specialties is good to know that you tasted. We are pleased to know that you are satisfied with our friendly and helpful service, every time our staff provided you with them best smile.
Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again in your next vacations.
Florence, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent one week and had an amazing time. We were a bit concerned after reading some negative comments but from the day of our arrival to our departure it was wonderful. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The food and service in all of the restaurants was excellent. We did miss a beach but the pool area is lovely. The one small downside was the spa tub in the room, it took up a lot of space and wasn't really practical or necessary. The spa facilities were great.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the sea!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Carolyn W, Thank you for your comments. Like you said before there are several restaurants to taste different flavors of course every time with a Mexican hint, there you´ll experience the mix for international and mexican food. We try to provide you the best service being friendly and helpful to pay attention to all of your needs.
Thank you for your comments. Hope you come back in your next vacations.
Best Regards

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!