“It was definitely worth it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Special Price
35% OFF YOUR STAY
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“It was definitely worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I chose this resort spontaneously at the last minute and a great choice it was. The resort is huge and very upscale with a beautiful landscape. It is so calm and layed back with the majority of the clientele being an older crowd.
The suites are very comfortable and equipped with jacuzzis, mini-bars, bath robes, bedroom slippers, large showers, and hammocks on the patios/balconies. Wildlife roams freely throughout the property including monkeys.
The various restaurants were enjoyable as was the buffet. There was an assortment of foods to satisfy different taste buds. The mojitos were very nice. They also have a great staff. Friendly is an under statement. I wish I would have brushed up on my Spanish though. Good communication makes for a solid foundation.
Now, for the spa,...whoa! We loved it! Deep tissue, Relaxation, Marine Bath,...awesome! Very therapuetic. They know how to do it. They will have you convinced that it's not just their job but they actually do care....LOL! The aqua therapy...great! I feel like a new man, well, somewhat.
The estuary, it was different but cool overall. It was home to some nicely sized fish who are very spoiled by us patrons. As soon as you enter the water the fish are not far off. Within seconds here they come looking for nourishment. The only things that were a takeaway for us is the very shallow water level and the waters cloudiness caused by its brackish state. The pool is fed by a fresh water stream also. It made the wonders of snorkeling suffer greatly. Some areas around the gazebo walls were around five to five and a half feet deep with some interesting sea life to witness due to the walls being constructed of large stones. You know fish, they love shelter. The estuary houses an occasional octopus, a moray eel, rock fish that blend with the walls, and schools of different fish that do not approach the swimmers. You can also flip the rocks while snorkeling to discover starfish and crabs. So there is still much to see despite the clearity issues.
This resort is definitely one to repeat. Unfortunately, Aventura Spa Palace is being converted to Hard Rock Cafe by October '13. Well, I don't party. When I vacate, my business is relaxing. So, we just have to see how this one plays out Trip Advisor.

• Stayed January 2013
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hi EnuldrusC3, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to know that you had a great time with us, like you said we have an equipment rooms with Jacuzzi, mini bar´s and other accessories to provide you with the best service to make a memorial moment. In the same way we give you a delicious gastronomy to get different flavors with a hint of Mexico. Our facilities are characterized for relaxing areas to rest as you experienced while you came here. We want to thank you for your comments.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I apologize this review is a little late; however we stayed at Adventura Spa Nov 4th – 11th. We stayed here last year (2011) during the same week. We decided to take advantage of the 50% deal and are glad that we did. We usually travel with 2 other couples, however there were unable to go, so we decided to take advantage of the rest and relaxation.

We feel that we had better service this year, than in 2011. We had a bottle of champagne in our room every day when we came back from the pool. Now, that’s my kind of service The food was very good this time around at all the restaurants and room service was very fast.. We also we had a great time dancing at the night club!

We took advantage of the hydrotherapy most days. We also had massages. They were awesome. The spa is top notch.

We decided to attend the legendary presentation and ended up purchasing. Now we have both Palace Premier and Legendary Memberships. We did this because Cancun palace has always been our favorite and we feel that we will no longer be able to visit the HR resorts within the next could of years. We also received a great deal and basically will get our money back in the end.

We went into Cancun to visit the Hard Rock Resort. Love what they had done with the resort.
We never want to leave a Palace Resort or Cancun for that matter. We already are booked for Hard Rock Cancun in May for our vow renewal (15 years). Can’t wait!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello Susanna M, Thank you for your comments, welcome to our family, we are glad to know that you are part of this memorial family. You enjoyed from our spa treatments and benefits that we provide you with the resort credits. We are very happy to know that our staff provided you with the excellent service our dear guests deserve and have come to expect from us. I am sure that you will love your next vacations with us.
We are very pleased that you are going to visit to our sister resort in Cancun and I am sure you will love this new experience.

Boston, Massachusetts

Hotel Appearance and Grounds:

Extremely clean, seemed updated. Resort is a great size, big enough to have a lot of open space, small enough to easily get from place to place. It was also very beautiful and scenic. Tons of greenery! Pools were really nice, beach chairs could use an update. I would say they need a bit more shade by the pools and water (more umbrellas?).

Concerns: Lots of steps. Not stairs, necessarily, but in the restaurants and on the grounds there would be a few steps down, or one step, easy to fall! In the restaurants they make sure to point them out to you, but if you're forgetful or elderly, it's a bit of a booby trap.

Room:

Small, but a good size. We were so glad to have a room with an ocean view (we had concierge level). Our shower door was squeaky as hell and super echoey in the bathroom, but oh well. Our terrace was nice with a hammock. We liked to sit out there and read at night. The bed was very soft and comfortable, and the sheets and blankets were a perfect weight for me! Our "complaint" was that the bed was too big (obviously, not a real complaint). The fridge was always stocked with sodas and water, and there were alcohol dispensers in the room.

Spa treatments:

The spa itself is BEAUTIFUL. Great architecture and interior design. The hallways you walk through to get to your treatment room have a beautiful view of the ocean.
Big fan of the massages (we had two couples massages and my boyfriend had two other massages). They were relaxing and thorough.
I also had a seaweed wrap (fantastic, they cover you in green seaweed paste and then wrap you in warm towels) and marine scrub (nice, but not amazing. you get scrubbed and then sit in a tub while the attendant is in there. my attendant was male, and I felt a little bit awkward around him).
Mani-pedis were not great. I had two, and they chipped the day after. The first one was painted well, the second time, not well at all. We used our resort credits for all of this, and I would have very mad to have paid the $60 they charge normally.

Food:

We never, EVER, had to wait to eat in a restaurant. In fact, most of the time they were pretty empty (we figured with all of the options, everyone was evenly spread out).
At first we loved the variety (there is a LOT to eat, all the time). By the end of the week, you realized that not everything is great! It was hit or miss. My favorite was during breakfast, they had fantastic mexican food (refried beans, tortilla dishes, guacamole, rice). I ate it every day. Why not!

Lunches were good (there is a little barbeque buffet outside so you don't even have to leave the pool to get some food).

Dinners were the weak point. We really liked Pizzeto, the outside pizza and pasta restaurant. We suggest the mac and cheese! Mono No Hana, the Asian restaurant, was also really great. The steakhouse and Italian restaurant were only so-so. Actually, the desserts were very good. I had warm chocolate cake and creme brulle, both very delicious! We opted for a Concierge Dinner on the last night, and we didn't love it. Service was SLOW, and if you have a picky eater, I wouldn't suggest it. The next morning was our flight back, and we both woke up SICK. Stomach aches. I threw up at the airport. The Concierge meal was the only meal where we both ate exactly the same thing.

Drinks were a different story. Not sure why people are saying the drinks don't use much alcohol, when then practically push it on you! They would refill my drinks without even asking (I'm a lightweight. Uh oh!) This is NOT a bad thing...it's just surprising! They are willing to make you anything, with whatever you want, however you want it! They would ask us if we want double or triple shots...woohoo! They didn't have every alcohol under the sun, but they sure had enough of it. The swim up bar was really cool and a great way to meet people. The bartenders were tickled when I asked them to surprised me with a drink (they made a blended drink that was blue and green with vodka. Tasted like a popsicle). All was great!

Staff:

Staff were all friendly and helpful. Always a smile on their face! Only issues with staff involved the system, not the people. We would try to book something (like that Concierge dinner) and sort of get passed down the line. If you really want something, you occasionally need to push to get it.

Trips:

We went to Tulum on the free members tour (not sure if there are included tours for everyone). That was a nice short trip. It's about 30 minutes away. Make sure to wear a bathing suit if you are interested in going to the beach there. The Tulum grounds aren't very big, and I guess I wish our tour included more information (it was about a half an hour tour). But it was sort of a nice jaunt away from the resort. They give you about an hour to go around by yourself, if you want to use the beach, explore the ruins, or shop or grab lunch. We took a bunch of pictures, went to the beach and then went back to the bus. We saw iguanas hanging out on the rock cliff there. Very cool.

Also went to swim with the dolphins at Dolphinaris. The ASP trip there I believe is way different from a trip if you booked it directly through Dolphinaris. We had about half an hour in the water with the dolphins, we got to pose for kisses with them, and then did a belly ride with them. The dolphins were amazing, but it was a short time for $129 (or credits). Luckily we only paid 11% of that! (Our dolphins were a mom and baby....HOW CUTE IS THAT).

People:
Everyone we met, and everyone we were near, were perfectly delightful. I thought it was a good mix of older, middle aged and young (we are 23 and 25). It was pleasant to not have children running around (though we had met a family on our airport transfer on the way in, with two little kids, and we were pleasantly surprised to see them twice during our visit).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Littlebearleah, thank you very much for your comments it´s very important t o us receive feedbacks to improve our service. We are happy to listen that you took many activities like the snorkel and the dolphin swim, there are many things to do for enjoy the Caribbean which is delightful. We are surrounded by a talented team of young-spirit individuals who give every single day their very best to our customers and as per comments like yours; I can clearly see that we are riding on the right track.

Thank you for take your time to share your experience.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Arrived Jan 5th-to the 19th/13. Food was hit & miss at the buffetts. Italian was the best. Have Creme Brule & cappuchino it's to die for also the Mayan coffee was excellent, it is a desert in it's self. Room service very adequate but food was cold & soggy most times. Salmon appetizer was great though & highly recommend it. Sushi was good as well, Mexican was awful. Staff worked extremely hard & always had smiles on their faces. Great front desk & concierge service. Clean rooms daily, great biosilk conditioner & shampoo. Only down side was lack of beach, such a big dissapointment. Lagoons were really nice though if you are a snorkler. Bugs were really bad. I had too many bites to count. Not sure what they were, most likely misqueto or spider. My BF & I both got sick, not sure if it was food or other but it hit us hard he one day & me the next. Sadly this was all on my b-day. Don't waste your time getting the massage there, it really is not worth losing three or so hours of your day. Romantic lobster meal on the beach was awful. Go to the Italian, it was 100% better in all ways. Would def not return to this hotel dut to lack of beach & distance from Playa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello PollyR3, thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our food, we always want to mix the flavors with a hint of Mexico, we have several buffets with different specialties, Mexican, Italian, asian, steakhouse, etc. We apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experience here regarding the bugs, we are situated in the middle of the jungle so there are a lot of bugs, spiders, mosquitoes and other species. We have many activities to do like the snorkel, which is incredible.
Thank you for your comments, we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico.
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Late getting this out since we went in October. We really enjoyed this resort. Good activities with support for beach volleyball. Nice lagoon to kayak in. Food was good to average for an all inclusive. Never was hungry for anything but not blown away either. The real nice thing was using all the resort credits at the SPA. My wife was so relaxed it made our trip sooo fun! We brought another couple we us and the enjoyed it too. Drinks were okay but nothing special. Circus Show was pretty cool. Free long distance calls was very nice as well. Heard it is going to become a hard rock property and I wish it could stay the same.

Room Tip: Get a pedicure guys!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi KentuckyKyMike, Thank you for wrote your comments and we are very happy to know that you had a good time. We focus on keeping our guest well entertained, we designed some shows to realize the beauty of your vacations. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the Circus Show. We try to keep in touch our value guests with their family and you took advantage from the unlimited long distance calls, that´s great. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kyle, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Well, we returned to Aventura Spa Palace, son to be a Hard Rock Hotel. We had heard all manner of reports of how bad it had become. First, it has not started conversion yet so is still a Palace Resort.
We stayed in a building far to the north which met we were very quiet and had nice long walks to things. We like that. The lagoon has many. More fish in it these days than before so much more fun snorkeling and kayaking. The staff was good but seemed to very tired from the full booked resort over the holidays. I'd say there were about 75% there nowadays not too crowded. Food was good but not Palace great. Checkin was VIP as expected and the vacation planner who setup our reservations(Ofelia) online didactic great job and had us all set. The vacation planner on site(Sebastian) added what we needed and made very good suggestions for what we might add. He was very cordial and more knowledgeable than many we've had in the past. The grounds were well maintained but I might ad that there is some wear and tear showing but suspect that with the redo to Hard Rock starting they might not spend on things that will change. We were shown the pending changes and want to come back and see it then. As Palace Premier VIP members, we are pleased with the resort and what is to come.
For those who have never been to a Palace, you don't know what a god thing you are missing! Come see.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Jbrecher, Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We always recommend you many activities to do like the snorkel, kayak and other beach activities. We are happy to know that our staff provided with a good service and that you enjoyed the activities at the lagoon we look forward to welcome you in your next vacations to Aventura Palace. For us is very important your opinion, and as a VIP Member we are pleased to know that you spent a good time with us, once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in your next vacations.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited this hotel in Nov 2013. It is about an hour drive south of Cancun. I personally prefer hotels much closer to the airport. This hotel has been separated into 2 - one side is adult only, the other is family friendly. The hotel rooms are very similar to those at the other Palace Resorts - however since this hotel is being converted to a Hard Rock - this will change. The biggest difference with this hotel - is that there is NO BEACH. In its place, they have made small lagoons out of the volcanic rock which lines this coast. The lagoons are very pretty and wonderful to swim in. To make up for the lack of beach - they have created one - it worked for us. They also have an "open to the outdoors" indoor swimming pool - great if its raining or it you got too much sun. They gym at this hotel was small but nice, and the trainer gave awesome classes!! I was so impressed with the meals at this resort. The steakhouse was the best one - featuring the "SKIRT STEAK" or Arrachera - not a cut known to North Americans - try it - you will love it. It is the most tender steak there is. Everyone in our group was very happy with this meal. Getting reservations was a bit of a hassle. We played tennis every morning - the courts are quite far from the Adult section but they were in fantastic shape - just no monitor. At other palace resorts there was a monitor who provided cold water in coolers and towels. Breakfast and Lunch buffets never disappointed us. We also golfed up at Playcar - the hotel drives you up and brings you back - it was a great course - lots of fun. We also did the SPA - which the hotel is known for - but it was disappointing. The Spa in general felt like a conveyor belt - not the relaxing experience I had hoped for. Staff was lined up waiting to take you to a room - the massages were not the complete time - often shortened because there was someone else coming right in after you. The massages are free due to the resort credit - but the experience needs a whole lot of work! Grounds are lovely. Rooms are clean and nice with a hammock on the terrace. OUr room was the very last section so it was a hike back to the main lobby. All in all we enjoyed ourselves, but I prefer Moon Palace.

Room Tip: get one near the main lobby!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello TraceyMH, thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are thrill to hear that took advantage of our indoors swimming pool as indeed (like you said it´s perfect for rainy days). The steakhouse provides you many Mexican plates like the arrachera which is wonderful. We have several activities to do in our hotel, you took the golf tour at playacar, you had the chance and you tried some of special benefits that we provide you. We hope to see you again in Mexico in your next vacations. Thank you for your visit.

Best Regards

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!