“No Worries!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
oregon
“No Worries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We just got back from a week at Aventura Spa Palace. We had never been to Mexico before, but friends invited us to go to Aventura with them. I was very nervous about going, after reading so many bad reviews in Tripadvisor, but was so happy we went. The people there, from the front desk, restaurants, spa, pool, maid service to the groundskeepers were amazing. I never passed one person that didn't great me with a pleasant Hola! Everyone that works there goes out of their way to do whatever you need. Sometimes the communication, because of my lack of Spanish was difficult, but everyone tried very hard to understand what our needs were. The facility is beautiful, and it was everything I wanted and imagined that it would be. My only complaints are that the music in the lobby, and at the shows, is way too loud, and that you can't get change anywhere in the hotel for cabs, etc. Take many small bills and $20's. $100 bills don't work very well, because many places give pesos for change.

Room Tip: Bump to the conceirge level if possible, it's nice! Enjoyed the more private beach area. And b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear jdtOregon

On behalf of the Aventura Spa Palace we thank you for your comments and suggestions. You were right in not listening to the bad reviews, once you experience our great service with our impeccable facilities along with the option of using your resort credits for Spa services or excursion there is just no comparison. We might have had an issue of overbooking but that was because people keep coming back to our resort year after year.

Your comments motivates all of us here at the Aventura Spa Palace to keep up with the great service and to continue to improve our resort now that we are going to fully renovated thanks to our partnership with Hardrock. But let me assure you that our service will remain being the best in the Mayan Riviera.

Please come back soon we are going to have lots of surprises in your next stay that we are sure you are going to love.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

As the title says, mostly good overall, but several minor issues. I wasn't expecting perfection and the issues were fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. The value is pretty solid.

Some have mentioned a transition to Hard Rock Management being obvious, but I saw nothing.

We arrived fairly late, were welcomed with a drink and a quick 10 minute check in. Everything was clearly spelled out several times about the $1500 credit and the 11% taxes. I asked if they were full as I was going to ask for an upgrade, but they said the resort was completely booked. I never found anything that busy on the resort though, so I question that a bit. No big deal though.

Also, never once approached about timeshares or membership.

The room is pretty much as pictured. It was clean, simple and we had a bottle of wine waiting for us. There is some signs of things being a touch dated, but overall the only thing we noticed (and I've read in other reviews) are that the linens are well worn. The doors do a poor job of blocking noise though, so late night partiers and early morning staffers are pretty loud in the room. Just the cleaning staff carts make quite the noise on the tile floors.

The grounds of the hotel are well kept and maintained. The pool is clean. Chairs are tough to come by around the pool of course, but fairly easy around the beach area. The beach was a hard packed coarse white sand. I was hoping it would be more natural, but it's still a pretty nice area. The cove was calm and there were always fish around. It was fairly shallow (maybe 4' deep at most) and you can do some basic snorkeling and light kayaking in the cove. You do miss nice fine sand and some waves, but it was alright.

Smokers - please use the ashtrays. It's disgusting to see butts on the beach or even in the water when they provide ashtrays to everyone.

We used our $1500 credits for two deep tissue massages, a couples massage, wine tasting, steak and lobster dinner on the beach and two bottles of upgraded wine. You can argue that this isn't worth $1500, but for $165 - that's a bargain. On day two, we walked in, waited about 5 minutes before we saw someone and booked everything in about 30 minutes with no issue.

The men's massage experience seemed better than the women's. If you go an hour early, there is a host who runs your through the hydrotherapy routine and is very attentive to you. Several women I spoke with had no such host/hostess on their side. The massages were nice, nothing ground breaking, but they do a pretty good job.

The food was simply OK. I don't travel to all inclusives for amazing food, but this was a bit bland for me. The quality and service were good, just bland tasting. The mexican restaurant on the Spa side was more of a Mexican theme than decent Mexican food. On the Cove side, it was a little better. The Asian restaurant was the only one we enjoyed the most. The Italian was decent as well. Wine/water glasses were never empty.

Overall, we never had to wait longer than a couple minutes at any restaurant and we typically went between 7:30 and 8:30PM.

We also ordered room service 3 times. Always right on time, quick and polite. I will also add that we barely ever had to wait at the bars either.

The nightlife...is pretty dead. They have a show per night, but it's always on the Cove side (WHY?) and it's typically a bit too kid friendly. Magic Show, Circus, Breakdancing...I missed the Fire show which I'd imagine would be pretty good though. But after the show on the Cove side, they tell people to continue in the night club. The night club is the one part of the resort that appeared really dumpy. It was also dead because 70% of the place is on the Spa/Adult side, so not many people want to come to the Cove/Family Lobby to party. Walking around the resort after 10PM, there isn't much going on anywhere.

The minor issues we had were mostly related to housekeeping. Sometimes we were left without a hand towel, face clothes or were left out of soap. I always asked for extra water and left a tip - about half the time I got the extra water.

I also asked for the sheets to be changed (hanging the designated sign on the door) and they ignored it several times. I had a bit of the flu, so I had some night sweats. I also skinned my knee playing volleyball and some blood leaked past the band aid. I was hoping for clean sheets after that, but 3 days later, not changed.

We also asked for a 2 hour late check out. We were told it was not possible. I pleaded so I could spend a couple more hours on the beach before taking a shower, but I was told no and that I should get a hospitality room. I booked one, but when we went to use it, they told us none were available so we had to wait 30 minutes until they figured out a solution. They ended up giving us a key to another room on the Cove side (10 minute walk) so we had to rush over to shower and rush back. That was a bit annoying and all of it could have been avoided by giving us 1-2 more hours in our room.

That's my review. Overall, it was a pretty good deal and the resort credits were very nice. Only some minor issues/complaints. We tried not to let any of it bother us.

Room Tip: Not many bad rooms here.
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Transfer to hotel was unorganized we have been going to the moon palace since 1999 and never had a problem with transfers this is only the second time we stayed at a different resort since they had the 1/2 off why not try anther resort we finally arrived at the aventura spa check in was fast and our room was ready went to room very smooth
We went down and signed up for all our spa treatments witch was outstanding the food was very good the steakhouse was wonderful Alfonso our waiter was so wonderful we asked for him again very friendly the 2nd time we had Alfonso and manual Alfonso should be a trainer he is that good
The pool is beautiful but couldn't believe that people were getting away with saving chairs they would put towels on a few chairs and not show up for hours the management needs to watch that maybe if no one shows up pull the towel or perhaps put a sign up no saving chairs it's not right chairs with towels and 3 or4 hours go by with no one in the chairs
It was overbooked the service was good but not upstanding like the moon palace is
The entertainment in the lobby 2 guys and a gal she could win American idol she played brass and sing she is very talented
The monkeys were everywhere in trees out where you come and go in cars that was so fun to watch we would go out for a walk every morning after breakfast just to see them what a treat all in all it was a great vacation

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear goldenstar19

We are so glad that you enjoy your stay with us here at the Aventura Spa Palace and that you enjoy our great Spa and the great food. We are going to share your comments with our staff to keep them motivated in providing the great service we are known for.

We are implementing changes in our resort in order to provide you an even better vacation experience. We have dealt with the issues that you mention and we have increased our staff to meet the demands of the high occupancy rates that we had.

We invite you to come back soon, If you loved the entertainment that we had you are going to love it even more once we change to the HardRock.

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and here in Aventura Spa Palace hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a 3/4 property that is completely ruined by the management (or I should say lack of management). The general experience here is that if things are going well, then its great, but if things aren't going well they CANNOT be fixed (unless you're willing to spend the entire day on it)...more details on this below.

My family visited this property the last two weeks of December. My parents had been before, but this was my first time. I was disappointed, and my parents felt that the quality of the property had gone down substantially since the last time they had been (about a year ago). (I blame the fact that my parents raved about it for my not checking the reviews beforehand...)

The good:
- The weather was great when we were there.
- The resort is large and has a very pleasant style. There's also a lot of places to explore on the resort. (Examples include the fitness trail, the rocks on the edge of the ocean, and the monkey walk).
- There is a lot to do around the area: scuba diving, dolphin swims, ziplines, cenote caves, etc.
- The spa is huge and has great facilities: On the women's side, there was a sauna, a cinnamon sauna, a steam room, 3 water pools (hot, warm, and cold) and a foot pool. Additionally, there is at least one person working just in the hydrotherapy part of the spa helping you go from one step to the next, etc. On the whole, the spa therapies (and the spa therapists) are also very good.
- The staff that are the "doers" are, on the whole, great. I want to particularly call out: Luis, who serves breakfast and lunch outside at El Greco, Paloma who serves dinner at the Italian restaurant, Daniel at the Asian restaurant, and Theresa, Coral, and Magdelena in the spa. However, as much as the staff tries, there are not enough people working - my parents mentioned that there was a sharp reduction in staff from the last time they were here. (For example, there used to be bellboys to clear the tables, etc. Now the waiters are expected to do everything - set the table, serve, and clear.) As a side note, I will say that we, on the whole, felt really bad for the working staff - these guys were running around like crazy but people were very rarely tipping - I think generally because people were frustrated with a number of issues and "taking it out" on the staff by not tipping.
- The $1500 resort credit + $165 tax buys ~7-8 activities. (The things for resort credit are over-priced - everything costs $200 in resort credit - but I still think that this is a great deal/perk.)
- If you are staying at a Palace resorts, you can go to (most) other Palace resorts. For example, we took a day trip to Cozumel and were able to use the Cozumel Palace. Additionally, the Palace resorts have a golf club in Playcar, which is quite good (though overpriced if you're not using resort credit).
- The alcohol is plentiful and, for an all-inclusive, of decent quality. (The food is also plentiful...but of less quality...more on this below.)

The mildly annoying:
- There is no beach on the resort. You can still swim in the ocean because they have a little cove, but there is no actual sand. (In addition to swimming, the resort also provides kayaks, but you can only use them in the cove. You can't take them into the ocean.)
- Things get delayed. (For example, I had multiple treatments at the spa start 30min+ late.)
- The timing of housekeeping can be sporadic.

The bad:
- The wifi is sporadic, at best. It never worked in our room, and it would go in and out in the main areas.
- The linens and towels are incredibly warn (as in you can see the threads fraying) and are not changed often. For example, our sheets were not changed for 10 days (and were only changed after we complained). How did I know that our sheets weren't changed for 10 days...because they had some lovely distinctive black markings on them. Additionally, we were often only given one towel when the towels were changed.
- There are not enough towels, beach chairs, or umbrellas. If you want a beach chair, you must get up before 7am. Also, if you leave your chair for long, it may be taken. This is particularly annoying because there are actually a lot of unused, open areas of the resort where you could put more chairs and umbrellas but there are just no chairs or umbrellas there.
- While the food is plentiful, it is incredibly repetitive. The buffet has basically the same things every single day and the restaurants don't change their menus. (For example, the only fish on offer every single day was grouper.) Of the restaurants for dinner, my opinion was that the Italian, the Asian, and Mexican on the Cove side were the best.
- It is a 1-1.5hr wait to have dinner at any restaurant (and they don't take reservations).
- Access to Playacar (the resort in Playa del Carmen) was restricted indefinitely. This meant that we had no access to an actual beach. Additionally, this meant that there was only one day that the resort was providing transportation to Playa del Carmen. So, if you want to go to Playa del Carmen, you will need to pay the $40+ round-trip. (Note that, in this part of Mexico, prices are set so there are no negotiations around this.)
- Booking your services takes a really long time: for us, it was 1.5hr+ of waiting for someone to help us + 2hrs getting booked. And don't even think of changing anything. It's just not worth the hassle.
- There are very few ocean rooms and we did not get one though it was promised.
- We were told we would be in the Spa side...but we were actually put in a part of the hotel between the resorts that was actually made into Cove the second week...and was filled to the brim with children.

The ugly:
- Getting anything done involves a process that would make Kafka proud. Let's say, for example, that you left your hat in the restaurant and wanted to see if anyone had found it. You would then pick up the phone and call guest services...that would tell you to go talk to public relations in-person to describe the hat. You would then walk to public relations where you would describe the hat in detail after which point the public relations person would search a database for some amount of time before calling someone else to go look for your hat in the lost-and-found. Total time not to find hat: 1.5 hrs. The process to mention that there's anything wrong is 3x as long so it's better not to bother.
- The management team (and they will tell you that anyone who is front desk, guest services, or "public relations" is management) does not want to solve your problems. Instead, they are doing everything possible to get you to give up. After all, your three hours calling/being sent back-and-forth between departments are actually valuable to you. Thus, the longer it takes you to address the problem, the more likely you are to give up. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will they actually go talk to the other department for you. That is your job. Even if they are putting you out, they will NOT help solve the problem. For example, we ended up sitting in the totally un-occupied section reserved for a special group...before it was reserved for the special group. Though there was not a single other person sitting in the 30+ chairs (because as the lady from that special group explained to me later in the spa, they actually wanted to sit by the pool), we were asked to leave by the staff member. When asked if she could help us find somewhere else to sit, she said no. We would have to go find someone else. For any problems, you will be sent back-and-forth (and back again) between the department and public relations. Also, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will you be given any contact information for anyone who is actually management (not the management of the public relations department and certainly not the GM). And the public relations department (all of which who will tell you, we are management) will tell you that they can't solve the problem or as one gentlemen did memorably to me with a talk-to-the-hand-because-I-don't-want-to-hear-it gesture, simply walk away and refuse to address the problem.
- The staff regularly lies. For example, go to the spa and and ask for a massage on the XX. The spa scheduler will ask, does Y time work. If you say, would it be possible to get something in the afternoon, the staff person will often say, no, its booked. Go over to another person...miraculously multiple times in the afternoon open up. Another example: my parents bus was supposed to take them to the airport at 9.20am. Starting at 9.30am, the bellman assured my parents that the bus was 5 minutes away for the next hour. The bus actually left at 10.40am. Things happened (especially on New Year's Day; that's understandable but, if you provide the actual information, people can actually make decisions - like whether they should take a cab instead.

One other note on management: What does it tell you that the same complaints are being made over-and-over again over the period of months and not addressed? (I know that I will get a response to this post that says that my notes have been sent to the proper departments...but how many times does the given department need to be told about the linens and beach chairs for those issues to be addressed?)

All-in-all, I can't tell you either to go or not go. I would say if you're the type of person who doesn't care if things go wrong and plans to spend a lot of time off the resort, then you could probably get a good deal here and utilize the location/the credits. If you're someone who wants a relaxing and seamless experience, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elina O

On behalf of the Aventura Spa Palace, I thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and observations about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay; this is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our Resort to our valued Customers. It is our obligation to make our customers feel as they deserve and this is why we regret that you did not feel our warm service and our special treatment which is customary to our Guests.

Please be informed, we are in no way, taking your dissatisfaction lightly, in fact your comments have been forwarded to several key people in our organization, for training purposes. Furthermore, we have begun putting a comprehensive plan in place to provide better and timely information, more tools and resources for our guest and improved procedures for handling challenges in the future. We are confident, as a result of these actions; we will continue being reliable and customer responsive.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and always provide you with the experience you deserve and have come to expect from us.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I just wanted to inform everyone that after coming back from adventura spa, I would not recommend going for a romantic or relaxing time. We are only 29 and 30 years old, and this resort was way too young for us! The words jersey shore were muttered about the guests there, and everything seems to have changed due to the purchase by the Hard Rock (it was my first time, but i did speak to the members who stated it used to be much nicer). The food was hit or miss, the noise was unforgivable, and the spa was just OK. One night, i even needed to make a complaint about the noise blaring outside my room at 11pm (like a club!).

They were so disorganized and messed up a lot of things. No one spoke english and no one was remotely friendly (except the guests, we met some great people there). Service was terrible. Wine was so bad I could not drink it! (im not picky, drink wine out of a box, haha).

You will not get spa robes in your room, and half the time we didn't get towels either. The bed is hard and scratchy, though the room was otherwise nice (hot tub in the room is a bonus!)

I will not deny, the beach and water is beautiful, and the whole resort is quite pretty (but then again, so is Cuba, but I wouldn't eat the food their either!). However, the size of the resort is too huge and you cannot have any quiet time there.

I will never go back. It must have been the purchase to become a hard rock, but this place is no longer a 5 star. I would say 3.5 overall, tops.

Dear AshleyANDMark2013

We at the Aventura Spa Palace apologize for the inconveniences that you had during your stay we are aware of the noise complaints we have taken steps to move the partying further away from the rooms and to keep the volume down we intent to keep a HardRock atmosphere but also to give our guest that want a relaxing vacation a lot of options also.

We are glad that you liked the food, with over 7 restaurants we are sure you will be able to find something that you like more often than not. Also we have already increased our staff to help us deal with the increase popularity of our resort.

Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

To start I'm not sure how much this review is going to help as the resort has changed owners but maybe the Hard Rock Resort will be putting a lot of money into renovations cause its time to start upgrades, to bring it back up to a 5*
Just got home from a really enjoyable vacation at the Spa Palace adult only resort.
To start off I'd like to name the servers that stepped up and helped us feel welcome and appreciated. If you get the opportunity to meet Mercedes he was a fantastic bartender, is one of the best but was transferred to the Asian restaurant, Gabriela one of the best servers that you could have look after you, very interesting to talk with and works harder that most that we saw there. Francisco was another great bartender we met at the fitness pool but he was transferred to the Cove side. Here are another group of servers that we really thought were the best at their jobs. Madahi, she works in almost all the bars, Maria at the spa lobby bar, Luis he works at the steak house, & his work partner Issac. Then there is Luis Yekon at the buffet on the Cove side, Dewi she is also one of the servers that works all over the resort. Then we had 2 really good chefs that ran the grill at the party pool bar on the spa side Carmen & her helper Jacqueline (they didn't use the salt shaker that most of the other chefs loved to do). These are the people that impressed us the most and made a point to be friendly and speak with us, which is one of the reasons that we enjoyed this resort.
Now to critic the resort itself, hmmm lets see, we got there on December 27, 2012 at around 1pm and of course check in is at 3 so off to the pool bar we go. Luggage stored with the resort bell boy till we got the keys to our room. The pool bar is were we first met Madahi & she started our vacation off by being friendly to start. They have a great BBQ set up and a grill hut that opens around 11am for food and you can get something to eat there right up till 4:30pm, the basics burgers, hotdogs, chicken sandwiches, beef sandwiches & of course french fries. Lots of veggies at the BBQ with sausage, chicken parts, pork chops & flank steak.
Then off to our room, nice not exceptional but nice, king size bed, huge jacuzzi hot tub that we used as a clothes horse. Not sure I really wanted to use it, wasn't as clean in the tub as I would have liked. Plus its right in the room at the end of the bed and placed so you can look out of the sliding glass doors while relaxing in it, but no, not interested. Other guests we met used it as a place to stand in and put on sun screen, so no not interested in using the one in our room. Nice size washroom, private toilet and shower area which is really great. Mini bar with rum, vodka, tequila & rye in the rooms and a mini fridge with pop, juice, beer & water. Helps if you put a dollar in the fridge to make sure your fridge gets restock each day, we missed one and had no water so off to the lobby to get a couple of bottles of water for the night. Didn't happen again after we tipped and left a note to leave 3 bottles daily and each day they did. Linens & towels were getting very worn out and the bed cover didn't cover either your feet or your shoulders, which got very irritating very quickly until I learned to leave the top covered folded down the bedspread to cover my husbands feet and then all was good. But we have better bedding & towels at home than we were provided here. Towels are rough and thread bare. Only once we got a fluffy towel & I hung it to save it and that night after only one use it was gone.
Ok now the restaurants, first at the Spa side, Mexican really really salty, yuck, didn't go back there and then didn't have the desire to go to the Mexican on the Cove side because of it.
Asian Restaurant that was a mix of Japanese & Chinese very good, one of the better meals we had there.
Buffet in the Spa lobby & pool was ok, better choices at the buffet at the Cove, so we ate over there a couple of times. Lots of families with children but the food was a little better. They also have a steak house over at the Cove, note all steak is a flank steak no matter what they say it is its a flank.
Pizza restaurant at the Cove was great, only went there once during the second week wished we had gone a couple of times very good pizza, out of an outdoor pizza kiln.
We found out that the Mexicans that owned the resort had sold it a couple of months earlier to a division of the Hard Rock Resorts so we believe they just didn't care anymore and they definitely quick putting money into updating it so it was getting a bit run down, chipped paint everywhere, lots of floor tiles chipped & broken or just lifting enough to feel it when you walk over them. Pools had tiles lifting & the swim up bar needed lots of work to upgrade it. Didn't go in the pool on the Cove side as it was filled with families, so the adult side was it for us for using the pools. Three pools on the adult only side and towel & chair game played the whole two weeks. We didn't spend much time at the party pool as there was hardly any shade provided. Even on the beach there wasn't much shade, we don't know how so many people can sit in the sun like that all day but to each their own. Lots of shade at the fitness pool but not many chairs to use, & the huts that were available were only for the guests that bought the concierge package, and even if they were not sitting up there the rest of us were not welcome, we actually got asked to leave cause we were not VIP! Hard part of that was the guests that were VIP were sitting in the only section that we could use, so we were out of luck till we found one chair on its' own.
Fitness centre had everything you could ask for in the gym, & the spa area for massages & hydrotherapy were excellent.
But all around we would not go back cause when it turns into the Hard Rock resort we will not be able to afford it. Be ready for the Hard Rock sales pitch for signing up for a time share, & when your looking for your airline rep you'll need to go to the second floor lobby at the Cove side. Not very convenient for the Spa guests as our air transat rep only showed up after we complained to one of the other reps.
One great feature was that they really put on a great New Years Eve party for the guests but again that's our last vacation over new year as the place was absolutely packed.
We took one tour off resort to Tulum & enjoyed it but we picked the hottest day of our vacation to go see it. Our guide Dail was fantastic, he knew what he was talking about and we really enjoyed all he had to say. Short tour only 1/2 day.
We brought our own $1.00 for tipping cause for some reason the resort never has any singles, seriously, and when we receive good service we tip.
We feel that the staff is well trained but they seem to be a bit lost on what is going to be happening when Hard Rock takes over. It looked to us that some management from Hard Rock had started some of the changes & were moving the staff around but most of the workers really had no idea what was going to happen to them when the change happened.

Room Tip: We had a resort view on the outside corner of our hall on the third floor very nice view of the ocea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear pm-jm50

Here at the Aventura Spa Palace we are so happy that you had a great time and that you enjoy our great service thanks to our friendly staff. You are correct we are going through some changes but our staff still the same as before and will remain providing the service that we have been known for all these years.

The change to the HardRock brand is going to take place in gradual way so we do not disturb our guests we already implemented some changes to make this change as smooth as possible one of the steps that we took is that we increase our staff to offer great service during this transition and at the end this is going to be an even better resort with the same great staff.

We hope you visit us again and experience the HardRock once is completely renovated this is going to be the greatest and most unique experience in the Rivera Maya.

We will be glad to host you again here at the Aventura Spa Palace or any of our properties in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My best girlfriend and I just returned for a week at Aventura Spa to celebrate our 30th birthdays this fall. We had visited and enjoyed Moon Palace resort almost 10 years ago, and were originally planning to return there, but couldn't pass up the special pricing offer for the Aventura location. I am so glad we checked it out!

Upon arrival, I was very upset to see that our room was not ocean view, and was only two doors down from where the Aventura Cove (children permitted) side of the resort began. I assumed it was going to be very loud and we'd hear the kiddos coming and going, running up and down etc. I requested a different room, and was told they were full, but could put me on a list. It ended up not mattering a bit. I only heard any outside noise one night, and that was some seemingly drunk adults lingering on their way back to their room. As for the ocean view, I had one all week from the many pools, lagoons, and restaurants. We were not in our room that much, and when we were, we were too worn out from having fun (and drinks) to care.

The service is phenomenal. I definitely noticed some confusion/disorganization which I assume was due to the ongoing rebranding as a Hard Rock resort, but that was mostly at the higher levels of service. The housekeepers, servers, bartenders and groundskeepers are prompt, friendly, and polite. You can't walk past any staff without an "Hola" or "Buenos dias". No one expected or angled for a tip, and seemed genuinely surprised and appreciative of those we gave. Some examples of the service, you don't ask for bell boy service, they insist on helping you, even calling you the day before check to arrange. We were greeted by having our bags loaded on a cart, handed a champagne cocktail, and escorted to check in. Our rooms were cleaned and turned down daily, including little extras like towel art, flowers, and petite fours. Anything that was missed or we wanted extra of, we called for and it was brought promptly, then management called us back to check we had received it.

We enjoyed the spa services very much. I was told to arrive an hour early, and enjoy the hydrotherapy area, but honestly, that was not for me. There are hot and cold pools, a sauna and steam room, towel service and cool drinks. Personally, it was the cold pools that put me off, and our attendant was quite adamant about them!

The resort is beautiful. The location and grounds leave nothing to be desired. There are some dated areas, and some things such as towels and beach chairs/umbrellas could use freshening up, but this, I assume is being addressed with the change over to Hard Rock. Our beds and pillows were amazingly comfortable, and we slept like babies, aside from the fact that we were up at the crack of dawn each day, like kids at Christmas, excited to hit the beach!

The grounds are very clean. I even commented to my friend that with all the sea birds, and even people feeding them, or leaving food behind which the birds naturally came after, I never saw a speck of bird poop. That may sound stupid, but as someone with trees over hanging my driveway at home, I appreciate how attentive staff must be to keep up with it.

We really enjoyed the food and drinks as well. Breakfast is available buffet style, including smoothies, omelets, french toast and waffles made to order. The buffets also had a wide variety of American and mexican items, cereals, pastries, a yogurt bar with many toppings, and a wide variety of juices, milks and of course, coffee. We also took advantage of the bloody mary and mimosa bar daily. You can also choose to have room service (24 hour menu) breakfast, either by calling down, or pre-ordering by a door hanger. We were able to get even things that weren't on the menu, and it was delivered hot and on time.

For lunch, we found the buffets less impressive, but probably mostly because we were still stuffed from breakfast. To the best of my knowledge, it's only available buffet style or room service. I would recommend the snack bar by the pool, as we enjoyed snagging chips and guac from their nacho bar for a light lunch, and they were also grilling up burgers etc to order.

The dinners were very good, although we avoided the buffets, except for El Greco which was described as Mediterranean style, and we didn't find what we were expecting there. I will warn you, all the waitstaff ribbed us about not ordering enough, they are food pushers, so watch out, or you'll burst your bikini! Momo No Hana is various Asian style foods, which we enjoyed so much we went two nights. La Trattoria serves Italian, and has a lovely outdoor seating area. We loved our dinner there, but the creme brulee dessert stole the show! There is a pizza spot on the Cove side, and we were indifferent to that, it was fine, but not one of our faves, the crust wasn't impressive. La Huerta is I guess, modern Mexican, and was very good. We never made the mexican restaurant on cove side. If you like coffee, or just a good show, ask for a mayan coffee after dessert, it's amazing, and it's on fire!

The best meal we had was the chef's dinner. If this is offered while you are there, check it out. We were able to use resort credit, I think the meal is $99. It was five courses, paired with nice wines, and live music. Our main entree was surf and turf. The chef explains and cooks the dishes live. We loved it.

As for drinks in general: The house wines were fine. I didn't discover any new treasures, but I didn't have to choke them down either. Liquor is plentiful, and if you want top shelf, you only need to ask. I am spoiled for cheap tequila now, that is for sure, loved the Don Julio! Some of the bars don't open at dawn, but we were able to get service a bit earlier in indoor pool bar, and the VIP lagoon. Otherwise, there is the in room dispenser, and we had no problem requesting mixers for the mini bar.

I have seen some nasty reviews on here, and all I can think is some people would rather be miserable and feel entitled than to laugh off a few bumps in the road and have the time of their lives. To each their own I guess. I am very interested to see what they do with the place as a Hard Rock, and hope they keep all the best features with a little freshening up. Hard Rock Spa sounds like an oxymoron to me, but we shall see.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda M

On behalf of Aventura Spa Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments and feedback about your stay. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.
We are so glad that you had a great time here at Aventura Spa Palace, the minor details that you encountered were due to a very high occupancy rate at the resort that we have taken immediate action to deal with this issue and we have already increase our staff levels to keep up the service that we are known for.

Best Regards.

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!