“A Little Frustrated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“A Little Frustrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a good time. Food is good and staff is for the most part friendly. Took us approximately 3 additional hours to get checked in when we arrived as our room was not ready. The front desk staff also made us feel uncomfortable when we question them about it 2 hrs into the ordeal.
There was also hair in the shower when we arrived in our room and the beds are terrible. As this place is becoming a Hard Rock, I guess they started with the beds already because they were unbelievably hard.
Be prepared to get up VERY early to try and get a spot at the beach or at the pool. People reserve by placing books and magazines or shoes on the best seats and the hotel does not do anything about it. very unfair!

Room Tip: Don't eat outside unless you like seagulls.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Carey S.

We are glad that you had a good time at the Aventura Spa Palace, we apologize for the time that you spent at checking in, we had a slight overbooking problem and that caused for an increase time at check in and we have increase our staff to deal with this problem.

We appreciate your suggestions and comments with respect to the reservation of the pool chairs so we can make it easier so we already increase the number of chairs available.

We hope to improve on your stay next time so we hope you give us the chance to host you again here at the Aventura Spa Palace.

Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from this hotel. We loved it, however its very large so be ready to walk. Service was excellent, the resort was very clean, and the staff very friendly. Our drinks were perfect, we got our money's worth. They had top shelf liquor. The only complaint I have is we didn't get to use all of our $1500 resort credits because everything was booked. Then again we went on a holiday weekend. The food was better than other all inclusive resorts. The hotel is far from the airport. They charged us $127 from the airport to the hotel for 4 people, but only $60 fom the hotel to the airport. Then again they get you no matter where you go... Even at your home town airport. The entertainment staff was great along with the bartenders. If you are looking to have a great vacation, this is the resort for you.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Jaclyne P

We are so happy that you had a great Vacation at the Aventura Palace, you are one more person that discovers our great service and great food and the best all inclusive. We are sorry that our spa was booked but this is very popular since you were only here for a weekend usually you have to book a couple of days in advance and is better if you make reservations before you get here via email that way you know in advance what day is going to be your service. And remember when you book for at least 6 nights you get free transportation from and to the airport.

We hope you comeback soon to the Aventura Palace.

Hillsdale,Ontario. Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were there for Xmas week. Very disorganized at front desk and had to wait 6 hours for the room to be ready since a latch on the balcony door needed repair. All in all the Hotel is clean and very nice and lots of pools and bars. What they have missing is entertainment . We were there for Xmas and not much went on to our dismay. If we wanted a show at night, we had to go to the Cove which is where parents and kids are and the shows were meant for them and very medeocre. The sun comes up at 6am and down at around 5 pm. , then there is nothing!!! The food and the service was excellent. Never seen so hard working people to look after us. Never in all the time we were there that we see someone dragging their feet. Also the hotel is very clean. They would do better to do away with the $1,500.00 credit per room. A spa treatment is 250.00 to 350.00 and it can be part of you credits but you have to pay tax on it where the other resorts charge you 80.00 and that is it. They overprice everything and you use your credits against it. In the store you can only use $100.00 of credits on an item that you can buy in town for less. We enjoyed ourselves and went on excursions off the property. Pretty hard to complain with the beautiful weather we had. Just that we wont be returning or buying into their resort offer......

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the sea if possible
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Richardsicard1

On behalf of The Aventura Palace we would like to thank you for taking time to send your comments and feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed our great service and our great food. We apologize for issues you had at check in. I know we had some delays due to the very high occupancy at the resort. We are sorting out these issues and increasing our staff to deal with this problem but we are glad that despite all this you had a great time.
Remember that the pricing for the spa might seem high but the quality of our Spa is world class and some other hotels or some places they might offer a lower price but never the service and quality of the best Spa in the Mexican Riviera and here you can use all of your 1500 resort credits on the Spa something that you cannot do at any other resorts. And like you said we also have great excursions that can be paid using your resort credits and a 120 resort credits for a excursion to Chichen itza all included on top of the excursions that you get for free you will not find this at any other Resort in the Mexican Riviera or Cancun. We invite you to do a thorough comparison and you will find that the Aventura Palace offers you the best value. And we hope once you do you come back and visit us again.

Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'll first start by saying that I believe that most people who write reviews do so because they need a forum to voice their opinion (usually really strong, polarizing opinions). I write reviews because I think there are a lot of people like me trying to get an honest picture of a place where they plan on spending a lot of money. I take most reviews with a grain of salt, so do what you will with this one.

I booked this hotel in September of 2012 for my Dec 26th-31st stay because I had read so many awesome reviews and I figured it would book up for the holidays. As time got closer, I read so many bad reviews and started worrying a little bit. With that said, I was on the lookout for all the problems people had encountered and did not come across one of them.

Check in: We arrived after a long, exhausting night of travel at about 2pm and were greeted promptly and kindly at the front desk. Although check in wasn't until 3, we were told our room was ready. However, he said that the room was on the Cove side. That kind of annoyed me because I am a young(ish) married woman with no kids and picked Aventura Spa Palace because it was an all adults resort. The man said we could check it out and if we didn't like it, we could switch rooms.. We didn't make a fuss because we really didn't care; I'm sure if we had, we wouldn't have had to stay on the Cove side. NOTE: Check in took all of 8 minutes. I'm not sure what took everyone else so long. Nobody once bothered us about the timeshare.

Room: Lovely room, no complaints (except the gigantic hot tub is pretty unnecessary, in my opinion). The room was on the 3rd floor and had a great view. We noticed some tiny ants in the room on the first night and called down and they had someone come spray immediately and exterminated the room the following day when we were out. Didn't see another ant. It really wasn't a problem.

Resort: GIGANTIC. I'm not kidding, it's huge. I wouldn't go back simply because of the size. I believe it has over 1400 rooms and it was at full capacity. That's way too many people for my liking for a relaxing beach vacation. It was incredibly well staffed, but I just would have preferred something a little more intimate. The resort was very well maintained and there were no problems, it is just a personal preference.

Service: Every single person we encountered was so kind and friendly. I made an effort to talk to them and they were super nice. I was there for my 30th birthday and got sung happy birthday to quite a few times.. The hotel sent me a cake and champagne and I got dessert beautifully presented every night from my waiter. Each night the front desk would call and see if we needed anything and if our rooms had been cleaned. Someone would usually come by and bring chocolates or more shampoo if needed at night also.

Spa: We used our resort credits for the spa. It was awesome. You already know about the 11% service charge so don't complain about it because $18 for a massage is a steal. The spa itself is wonderful and is very well staffed. I had a 50 minute massage, 80 minute couples massage, and a pedicure.
NOTE: booking services is kind of a pain. I was able to do it the first time over the phone which was great. Waiting for the vacation planners (who you book your credits through) was such a time consuming process. With only one person in front of you, you could wait at least an hour. I saw people waiting and felt bad for them.. I truly got lucky on that one.

On that topic, the vacation planners help you book your activities using your resort credits. The system they use is either slow or inefficient but either way they are doing their best to book your services so don't yell at them. I witnessed a lady go off on the vacation planner because she couldn't use her credits on what she wanted. The resort is HUGE and was at full capacity. I'm not surprised it was difficult to use your FREE credits on whatever you wanted.

Food: It was good. Not great. I think the size of the resort prevents it from really being a 5 star. They're serving somewhere in the realm of 3000 people food 24 hours a day.. It can only be so good. That being said, I didn't even get the opportunity to try everything because of the amount of time I was there, the amount of people at the resort, and my lack of desire to wait an hour at the sit down restaurants. The only a la carte restaurant we went to was the Italian restaurant which was very good. I ordered room service everyday; breakfast was my favorite. We also ate by the pool (Cove side) pretty much every day. The carne asade made by Guillermo was my favorite. He was really nice too.

Pool: We actually never went to the pool because we couldn't get a chair. People are not kidding when they tell you people are up early and claim "their spot." 8am was too late to get 3 chairs together. We went in the jacuzzi on the Spa side and the volleyball pool once. We went in the cove one time too.

Entertainment: Didn't really go to anything. Tried the Mexican Fiesta on Friday but it was crazy windy outside. We went to the "club" which is on the Cove side a couple of times for about 20 minutes but it was lots of teenagers. Could be a fun place but not really my thing. The martini bar on the Spa side was fun.

Airport Transfers: We booked through the one the hotel recommended. On Tours, I believe. They were fine. No problems just too expensive. You can take a cab from the hotel for about $52 (we paid 147 for 3 people for round trip transfers). We could have done it cheaper with a cab, but it is nice to have it all arranged for you. On that note, the hotel tries to get you to the airport super early. My flight was at 250 and they wanted us to get picked up at 1010. I said no so they pushed it to 1110. It was plenty of time.

Miscellaneous: Cabs are expensive. It's not like elsewhere in Mexico where you can barter. The price is set and it's not cheap. $26 each way to Tulum, $18 each way to Playa del Carmen, $18 each way to Xplor. Xplor and Tulum are both amazing. We did both in about a half day. Bring a towel and go to the beach in Tulum (not the one just below the ruins but to the right of the ruins) it's stunning. At Tulum, it costs about $5 to get in. For Xplor, we went around 1pm and were able to do everything. We just took a cab there and paid for it when we got there. Not necessary to do tours for either Xplor or Tulum. Also, if you're going to Tulum or Playa del Carmen, get pesos. Don't use US dollars because you'll end up paying more. Trust me on this one. US dollars at the resort to tip is fine, but having pesos around town is much better.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel and I was happy with my experience at Aventura Spa/Cove Palace.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi ALiR1228,

Thank you so much for express a so sincere review and for selecting our resort to celebrate your 30th birthday chilling out in this slice of heaven.

We are pretty happy to learn that your overall experience was very good, that most of facilities and services were to your liking and that despite you could have little inconveniences these were promptly kicked out by the good service.

It is good to know that you liked your room even in the Cove side and it is better to know that the clerk offered you another option in case you were not pleased with your accommodations. Please allow me to inform you that at our resort fumigations are periodically done, however you may note that our beautiful hotel is described and set within a 85-acres expanse, combining the exuberant virgin jungle, typical of the state of Quintana Roo where ants are part of the wildlife; however we are more than happy that somebody took care of the situation. Thanks for noticing thee good job that our Maintenance hard workers do. We are satisfied you found our spa to be awesome and that you loved your massages and treatments in addition to that we cannot stress our satisfaction to know that you got many happy birthday songs and that you felt the warmness that characterize all our staff.

Thanks for spotlighting our coworker Guillermo; he will be very glad to know he left a good impression on you.

On the other hand we have passed on your comments about areas where you felt that service was not so good to our Management Team such as better food in restaurants, timing to book optional activities, entertainment, more chairs around pools.

Just as a personal opinion let me share with you some advantages to be in a so big resort as ours; you get more of everything and for everyone, more space, more activities, more dining options, a better and lively atmosphere…

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience here at Aventura Palace and we sincerely hope you to come back soon.

We remain entirely at your service
Moorhead, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a terrific time. We went with our Son and Daughter in law and stayed on the Spa side from Dec 14th to Dec 21st. When we got to the Hotel we were seated and offered drinks and snacks right away. We met Flor at that point and she made us feel so welcome and was very attentive. Then Yoselin came to assist us with our check in and made sure that we had our vacation lined up as planned. She made our first impression exceptional. When we were done they were waiting to take up and our luggage to our room. They were so willing to help and made sure everything was to our expectations. Our rooms overlooked the ocean and was beautiful. We ordered room service and they were there within 15 min. Room service was fast and very very good every time we ordered. We ate at the buffet mornings and asked to be seated in Maria's and Eric's section. They are wonderful people. We went to the pool and were fortunate enough to meet Marcelino he always kept our drinks full and always with a smile. We enjoyed his company very much. We were disappointed that he and Flor were working the other side the rest of our stay. We enjoyed the Italian, Steak house and Oriental restaurant, the food was very good. We found the food to be very good everywhere we ate. The drinks were top shelf liquor and strong. There are a few others i would like to mention as they made our vacation terrific. Menelid, Celent, Minerva, Angela, Marcos, Eduardo and Marcella.

I had The Seaweed wrap, Facial, and the Choc wrap. I loved the spa and the services I had. The Techincians were wonderful. (I am sorry I forgot their names).

The men and women that cleaned our room were there early and very thorough. We had turn down service every night and everything was refilled and perfect. If we needed anything it was "My Pleasure" and done very quickly.

We made sure that we tipped for good service and I have never seen anyone appreciate it as much as they did.

We went to the presentation and make sure that you ask a lot of questions before you sign. We are members now and were signing the contract when a few surprises came up. So buyer beware. I told a few people that we probably would reconsider if we talked about the issue and no one contacted us. So that being said we will visit Palace resorts and we would will still visit Aventura Spa again just not as a Hard Rock member.

Our vacation was terrific. We met wonderful people that will be friends forever. I am surprised at the people that wrote poor reviews. I am surprised they were at the same resort. What we saw was hard working people that everything you wanted was "No Problem" or "My Pleasure" and when they said it they meant it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi there connie0,

We are very grateful for your wonderful comments and for choosing our resort to relax during your vacation.

We are absolutely thrilled to know you had a terrific time over here, and that you felt the special treatment from your arrival till your departure, as well our delighted our quick and delicious room service, buffet breakfast, La Trattoria , Mundaca and Momo no Hana restaurants, top shelf drinks, not to mention our in demand spa and our efficient Housekeeping service, but above all the smashing service that some of our coworkers provided during your visit, thanks for mentioning their names, you may rest assured we will recognize fir their big effort and they really appreciated your tips.

If you had any concern regarding your membership, please feel free to contact us and we will forward your questions to the corresponding people.

We genuinely invite you to come back, be sure that the same excellent level of service will go on for a long long time.

We remain at your service
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We just arrived back home after two weeks at this resort, will note the good and the not so good

The not so good
- I am a vegetarian, found it difficult to be accommodated - we went to dinner at the Mexican restaurant on our 2nd night. On the menu they had soup with quesadilla as an app. I asked if I could have a quesadilla as the main meal and the server said no..... strange as it is a mexican restaurant. I requested to speak to the manager and he said I could have it.. would have been nice to have it go smooth from the beginning and avoid being annoyed.
-Service is hit and miss, some will leave a bottle of wine, some will not. This hotel is all inclusive so was not used to that service as we have traveled to Mexico 15 times and never experienced the inconsistency quite like this before.
-BRING SMALL BILLS - We had done just that thinking $20.00 was small - most of the time we could not get change
-The last 2 nights we were there the fridge was not stocked
-Be aware that you will pay 11% tax on the credits you receive, was not aware and was just another annoying moment as that was not advertised anywhere
-We checked out then we were advised we had to go to the Cove resort to find out when our bus was coming to take us to the airport. We asked the Sunwing rep once we got over there and she just pointed to a bookshelf full of binders so we had to find the time and the binder ourselves. Again not a huge deal but I will say it again... annoying. Not sure why they can not have the time schedule at the Spa Palace side...

The Good
-Rooms are nice and clean
-Spa service was amazing - we had two massages one being the Passion Package with the chocolate wrap - truly amazing! Staff was great
- Overall the staff was amazing ROBERTO and EZEQUEIL (spelling may be off) bigger guy, full of energy , loves to sing- Both amazing!! They both work the buffet. Can not say enough about these guys!
-HOMERO and ARMANDO are amazing, there both bartenders, high energy and happy. Once you order a drink, they remember it for the next time. These guys were great!
- MADAHI and the snack bar was great, she works hard and always has a smile on her face
- All the staff at the lobby bar were great! Fantastic service
- In front of the resort there is a walking path leading to the cove - you will see Spider Monkey's we saw them daily and they are just so entertaining! There are many of them

We had a great vacation as it is what you make of it and we LOVE Mexico - We will not return to this resort however will be back to Mexico to the Royal Playa Del Carmen - a true 5* resort. We believe the negative that happened is the management not the staff. We heard this from many others at the resort as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cherical,

We would like to thank you much for sharing your experience with us in regards to your last visit to our resort and for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

This kind of result is certainly not what we strive to portray at our resort, we sincerely regret that the service received during your stay was not consistent.

Just as a matter of fact allow me to share with you that we have veggie options in all our restaurants, and we are going to train better our wait staff, for sure you can eat only quesadillas if you prefer. As well and very respectfully let me inform you that the eleven per cent service fee over the Resort Credits Promotion is clearly advertised in our official website. Anyway we will work to get such information to all guests.

Please take in consideration that transport service is provided by an independent contractor for which the resort cannot be held liable. However rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to your travel agency representative, we do regret any inconvenience or frustration that the experience has caused you.

About the ups and downs with some services, we offer our apologies for any inconvenience these situations may have caused during your staying; we are already working to improve the level of service in these areas and avoid any discomfort our treasured guests may experience.

Moreover, we thank you much for highlighting these committed people that gave their very best to please you during your stay, as well as for your comments of what you liked.

We truthfully hope you will give us the opportunity to change your perception in the near future. I will kindly ask you to contact us in advance for further assistance.

Best regards
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very unique resort carved out of the beach. great ocean front property where the ocean is more like a saltwater pool with all the marine life. there were bars set up every 50 feet on the beach with thop shelf liquor, the beer however was not,and when i say not, i mean i am not a fan of Tecate, dos Equis or Sol, especially when it is not cold.

Overall we really enjoyed the resort with only a few minor negatives. you did really need to plan ahead when out on the beach/lagoon area, the bathrooms could be a hike depending on where you were able to find a chair. As with many resorts, towels were hard to come by and you had to go out early to reserve chairs. it will be interesting to see what happens when they convert to a Hard Rock, there needs to be better night life and sports bar on the adults only side of the resort wiht TV's that are big enough to actually see who is playing and what the score is.

Staff was always friendly and smiling, willing to take care of you. The $1500 resort credit was actually great, not a ripoff as we have seen at other resorts,-you only had to pay the 11% service/tax, said another way, a $140, 50 minute massage cost $15 and there were plenty of open times it was not restricted. We would go back, but we will probably wait till it is a Hard Rock resport after all the renovation.
again worth what we paid, especially over New Years.

Hola Peter C,

Thanks a lot for your kind review; we thank you too for choosing our fabulous resort.

It seems you liked our very peculiar Cove full of colored fishes and the service provided by our accommodating staff, not to mention our delicious spa.

We are currently working in the areas where you did not felt a top notch service. Thank you so much for your remarks.

We will be eager to serve you again for your next vacation.

Warm regards

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!