“Utter Decadence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Utter Decadence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I could not find one reason to complain. We were treated with friendliness, eagerness to please, and pure open-heartedness. The food was tasty, the pool time fun, and the nights at the Martini Bar lasted into the wee hours. I laughed heartily many many times daily. I rested. I partied. I ate and drank my heart's desire. I ordered room service whenever I didn't feel like a restaurant. AND THE SPA.... The massages and hydrotherapy are Devine. I made so many new friends! A spectacular vacation.

• Stayed January 2013
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi Irondogm,

Thank you so much for choosing our resort to chill out near to the sea. Thanks as well for your so sweet and encouraging comments about your stay here.

We are proud that we not only provided you with a smashing service but with happiness that you will remember for a very long time. We are ready to pamper you during your next vacation.

Sincerely

3,737 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I just came back from this resort – it was a short stay, December 27 - January 1. It was our first time in Mexico and the only other all-inclusives we’ve been to have been in Jamaica, so we were constantly doing a comparison to Sandals and Couples. We choice this resort b/c it was the only package we could book with our restrictive flying days.

Rooms – were fine. Clean and comfortable beds. We didn’t have much of a view but who cares since we were outside all the time. There was a huge pointless hot tub in the main room – who actually uses this?! We were in the Piano building, room 3857 – great spot, < 2min walk to the main building.

Food – breakfasts were wonderful (definitely better than Jamaica!). If you like lattes/cappuccinos, definitely get them from the bar (real espresso machine with steam for the milk etc.), the stuff you got at breakfast was the instant stuff from a machine. Dinner – the Italian was the best dinner of the trip. We had the Asian restaurant one night – was ok. We did the New Years Eve gala in the convention centre – worst dinner of the trip. We had the Mexican buffet at the Mexican evening show (it was good but it was so windy that the food was never really hot). Lunch (if we ate it) was at the pool bar - there was a grill (great greasy hamburgers!) and guacamole/salsa/tortilla chips.

Drinks – we ended up asking for pina coladas with extra rum – if you didn’t ask for this, you’d hardly taste the rum.

Beach/pool – beach was nothing to write home about. We spent all our time at the pool. But getting a pool chair?! Good luck – people were up before 6 am to ‘reserve’ a chair. And then you would see the chair empty all day. The resort has to do something about this issue. We never had this problem in Jamaica. This is my vacation, I want to sleep in, not get up at 6am to get a chair.

Tips – we didn’t expect how much tipping went on. The omelette lady, the smoothie guy, the waiters – every little thing people were tipping. We felt guilty that we weren’t doing this.

Entertainment – was ok (Jamaica was much better). The odd thing was that all the entertainment was on the family side of the resort (The Cove) – the disco, the shows etc.

Oh and this brings up another issue – we had no idea that there were two resorts in one (adults only – Spa and family – The Cove). We could go back and forth for the restaurants etc. But now I wonder, if we paid more to be adults only? B/c if the family side is cheaper, I would definitely book that side and then spend the day at the adult side pool.

$1500 credit – you’d have a hard time using this up. We were able to squeeze in a massage each, that was all we could get into the spa for. It was booked solid. We wanted to do the Tequila tasting - totally booked. We took the hotel’s Tulum tour. Beware: bring money and bathing suit/towel to Tulum. We were told specifically not to bring money. And she never told us about swimming at the beach. I had heard about the beach from friends so we wore our bathing suits and brought a towel (and money). Most people on the bus didn’t have bathing suits (and they were not happy, it was a cloud-less, extremely hot day with barely any shade, the beach was the best part of the tour)!

If you booked your Mexico vacation through a package (we did, Sunwing), the rep will warn you against taking the hotel tours. Their reason: you’ll be on a bus with a huge group, there will be multiple languages, etc. Our tour – yes a big bus, however, you pull into the parking lot at Tulum, and there are at a minimum 10 of these huge buses. Tulum is over run with tourists – seriously booking an intimate group is a waste of money. Our Tulum trip cost $16 US (2 x 11% tax) – it was totally worth it.

Also the package reps warn you against the hotel’s time share talk – we were never approached about this (and seriously what is the difference between sitting through the Sunwing’s reps talk to take THEIR tours than sitting through the hotel’s talk – they are all trying to take your money!).

All in all it was an ok vacation – not sure we will choose Mexico again (I still got sick on the last day of the trip – the Dukoral vaccine wasn’t completely effective).

Room Tip: Piano building - close to the lobby!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lievefamketoronto,

We want to thank you much for sharing your opinion with us and other readers of this forum. We thank you too for picking our resort to spent your very first time in Mexico.

In one hand we are satisfied to know that some areas excelled and you liked preferred them than those experienced in your previous trips such as rooms’ cleanliness, buffet breakfast and quality coffee.

On the other hand we are so sad to know in other several things we stumbled. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your visit.

As a matter of fact, allow me to share with you that all our staff do their very best and they really appreciate when our valued guests voluntarily leave a tip for them. Let me clarify you as well that the reason why some of the entertainment is inclined to the family side is because minors are not allowed to go to the adults side so our guests in the adults side can rest easy and we are very strict in this regard, however we want all our guests to enjoy nightly entertainment.

Finally, as you know, this is the only resort where there are no limit to book spa with your resort credits however being our soothing spa our main attraction it is very popular and this season we were full.

We have shared all your comments with our Management Team in order to take the corresponding preventive and corrective measures and ensure these situations do not occur in the future.

We genuinely would like you to give us another chance to do it much better and this time turn your visit into a blast.

Sincerely yours
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I came to the for a New Years getaway for the first time. We came as a guest of a VIP member. Other than having to wear the uncomfortable wristband and the 3 hour sell job there was no VIP treatment after the check in. So this is a message to current members about our experience because you should know what your money is getting you. We were placed in a third floor king room which is small but nice. I guess we could see a wedge of the ocean and pool. But in talking to other guests about their rooms, we were the lucky ones.

In the VIP private beach we waited 45 minutes for towels which never came. My husband canvassed all the pools to finally get us a towel. I know this is busy season but that's ridiculous. There were long lines at guest services to book spa treatments and activities. Yes the resort credits are nice but everything is so overpriced in anticipation of using the credits. We also waited 1.5 hours to get seated for dinner unless you want an early bird seating. We had a couples massage which was amazing but we waited an hour past our reservation and so did the other couple we waited with.

Whether you are a member or not, being herded around like cattle in line after line to wait is no way to spend a vacation. I will cut to the chase.

Pros:
No children
Full amenities in the room- stocked bar and fridge
Grounds are clean and pretty
Most of the staff was very hard working and genuinely nice and courteous. We tipped very well to our faves
Most everyone was English speaking and could accommodate my high school level Spanish
Food was good with the exception of beef. Don't have high hopes for that
Room service was prompt and actually very good
Pool is nice with a swim up bar. The food at the pool was better than some of the restaurants
20 min to Playa Del Carmen
Nearby golfing which we paid for with credits at Playacar and Riviera were awesome

Cons:
Sand is rocky
No night life!! There is an outdoor bar overlooking the water and another bar in the lobby. There was nothing to do at night so needless to say at least we were getting some much needed rest
Service was inconsistent - it was either really good or really bad
Towels at the beach and pool should be a no brainer

I'll get off my soap box. My whole point is that you should see value in what you pay for. I would not pay top dollar to stay here. I would only stay here if it was a great deal. Members here pay for their memberships and still pay additional when they stay here. For this VIP membership I would not pay for. We had to wear the stupid bracelet the whole week and had no perks. I have stayed at more exclusive places than they claim to be.

I might come back once it's Hard Rock to check out the changes if I got a good deal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear MPam2

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Aventura Palace, Even if you had some issues you end up having a good experience at our resort. We welcome your feedback and we are going to deal directly with management to solve the issues that we had, that were mostly caused due to the very high occupancy that we had at our resort that is because our members keep coming back year after year to take advantage of the best Spa in Mexico and our 1500 resort credits and that makes us one of the most popular resorts in the Mayan Riviera.
Right now we are increasing our staff to deal with the high occupancy. And there always good deals to come to the Aventura Spa so we hope to welcome you back now that our staffing issue has been corrected.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were here with our grown children over the Christmas holidays. The check-in was slow and tedious and one room did not have 2 double beds as requested by us well in advance, so this took awhile to sort out, going back and forth with the front desk. When you leave your hometown early in the morning (wee hours) and arrive in the airport in Cancun at 10:40 am it is disappointing to spend 2 hours in the airport before the shuttle is finally loaded with passengers and then stop at other resorts to drop people off, have a mix-up at check-in and not get the rooms sorted out until 5pm. This burns an entire afternoon that we could have been in the sun by the pool. This was very frustrating. We've travelled to Los Cabos previously, staying at the Riu and arrived at the airport at 10:30 am and by 12:30 we were checked in and at the pool enjoying our lunch!

We found the workers to be very friendly and gave all around good service but many were new and that showed somewhat. The restaurants were very nice and we got in everywhere with no wait except for one evening. Our favourite restaurant was Mo Mo No Hana, (my husband loves Sushi) and the waiters, food and ambiance in this restaurant are all wonderful! If you don't love sushi, not to worry, as this restaurant has other excellent options like the chicken almond, or beef tepanaki. Don't miss the tempura battered ice cream and mayan coffee made at your table! We went 2 mornings to Mo Mo No Hana for breakfast as well. Delicious omelets made to order! La Huerta was a nice restaurant as well and we enjoyed both the service and the food one evening here. The Trattoria was okay, nice atmosphere but the food we ordered was not that good. The pizza is a pre-made crust (like you'd pick up at the grocery store) and it was COLD when it arrived at our table. The service was nice and the meal started out with bread with the oil and vinegar and lovely red wine, but the main course was totally a flop.

The Spa and all the treatments I had there were excellent. I have been to Spas in Canada and the US and I have to say, that the Spa at Aventura was top notch. A big thank you to Dianely Polonco Gamboa who booked all my Spa appointments ahead of time, thus saving me calls or trips to the spa reception while on holidays. (You can call or e-mail to pre-book your appointments and get a confirmation before you travel. I really advise on doing this.) Some people I talked to said they just couldn't get in at the Spa. I had a hot stone massage by Erikka and a facial from Felippe and both were most excellent!! I highly recommend taking the time to indulge in these. You will not be disappointed, especially since you can use your resort credit and only pay the tax. Additionally, you can use the Spa hydrotherapy if you come 1 hour ahead of your appointment for no extra charge. I didn't try this out because I love to be by the pool outside, but just to let you know it's an option. Ask for the robe and slippers when you check in at the Spa. The first time I came 20 mins. early and was just taken to a room, but the second time I asked and was given a locker with all these items to enjoy. Once changed, you can sit in the inner room and enjoy water, tea, juice or fruit.

Lastly, I learned that a sand beach IS a big deal for me, but I knew that Aventura only had the lagoon and pools before we went. It was fine, and we made our own fun and enjoyed the activities doing pool aerobics, beach volleyball and our sons took out kayaks in the lagoon. I would make sure to have the sand beach on our next trip!

We took a taxi to Akumel Beach and had the driver drop us at Yal-Ku to snorkel for the morning. You can rent all the equipment there for a reasonable price ($5 for snorkel and another $5 for flippers) Our family had great fun doing this together. All in all, we had a fun trip and it's often what you make of it, and having patience and a sense of humour is a must. (Don't leave home without your smile!) Also, you don't have to tip, but we tipped every day giving our servers a few US dollars when they brought a tray of drinks for our family, and at the end of the week leaving a much better tip for our "favourite" waiters and our maid. This was very much appreciated by the staff. They work long hours, especially over Christmas and work very hard as well.

Another disappointment was that they trek you back to the airport in Cancun hours and hours before your flight which is not necessary. Our bus picked us up at 7:30 am and our flight was not until 1:40 pm. While it was delayed an hour, we really didn't need to spend hours in the airport, since it takes under 1 hour to get there.

Our family enjoyed the trip but with the hassles with the front desk, room mix-ups, and slow transportation, I feel that we could have done better with another choice in resorts.

Room Tip: None of our rooms were ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Babybluesky

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Aventura Palace. I understand that you have some issues with the transportation and the check in. Remember the transportation is included and will have to pick other guest from the airport but we have the option of private transportation at an extra charge and if you like you can ask the front desk to change your drop of time at the airport so you don’t wait so long.
This was a very busy time at the resort but still you deserve a faster more efficient service. Be sure that I will talk to management specifically about this issue.
I am glad that otherwise you enjoyed our food at our restaurants and you discovered that our spa is not average but one of the best in Mexico. And we have so many activities that you realy don’t miss the sandy beach that still you can go just 10 minutes away.

Thank you for your comments and feedback and we hope to see you back in the Aventura Spa very soon.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just back from a wonderful week at the Aventura Spa and Cove Resort and have to say that apart from one or two minor issues could not find fault with the hotel, staff or food.
Our biggest irritation was being overbooked on arrival and having to be moved around after one night - this was aggravated by the fact that my son is less than 18yrs and could not stay in the Spa section although that is where we got placed - long story but worked out fine after a little tantrum and negotiation.
We were really impressed with the food - great variety, fresh and huge amounts. Poolside food included steak that was tender and tasty, fantastic grilled chicken and fish, big juicy burgers. The restaurants in the Spa section were particularly good (no kids <18yrs) - we had great meals in the Italian, Oriental and Mexican restaurants. Breakfasts were generous and fresh - lots of fruit etc.
Staff were unfailingly gracious, friendly and helpful. I was impressed that we got follow-up calls from supervisors to check if our requests (eg more towels) were met appropriately. Room service was prompt and excellent.
Rooms are comfortable and well appointed - mattresses may be a bit firm for some but I was happy. Showers are large. The rooms all have giant jacuzzis which we did not try.
The biggest downside to this venue is the lack of a beach. It is situated on a solid rocky shoreline and apart from a very small sandy bay at the far south of the resort (Cove section) there is no access to the sea. There are however great sheltered coves for swimming and snorkelling and these have very nice beaches with frequent bar/food service. The pools throughout are huge and clean - we generally did not have problems finding a place to hang out but shade is a premium if you don't claim a spot early.
I was impressed at how well maintained the hotel and grounds were - everything seemed to work fine although we had a few burned out light bulbs in our rooms.
All in all a great place to stay if you can manage without a beach - would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Stephen_999

On behalf of the Aventura Palace, we are so glad that you had such a great time with us and that you enjoy the facilities, the food and the service. Now you know why the Aventura Palace is and has been so popular over the years. No were else in the Riviera Maya you will find a resort with more than 7 restaurants and the best Spa in all of Mexico and on top of that you get 1500 resort credits to spend.
Please talk to your friends in Canada and tell them about this great resort and we are looking forward to host you again either here in Mexico or The Dominican Republic.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We escape Christmas every year. The Aventura Spa Palace was our best escape so far! There were a LOT of people there but you didn't really notice. We were treated like royalty and felt pampered the whole time. We got $1500 in Spa services included with our stay. Wow! That was superb! You only pay 11% tax. We loved our services! Also, plenty of great vegetarian choices for meals. Sunbathing ... Lots of nooks to go sit by yourself or with a crowd. The entertainment is for couples under 30. No Latin music or romantic evening venues ~ only mind-numbing noisy music. No dancing for those who want to actually hear nice music and move to it. I have written and requested that more adult activities be included in the future but for a week's escape, I would go back to the Aventura Palace again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear soulforce

On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments and feedback about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience here at Aventura Palace. And we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best regards,
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We are Palace Premier members and booked a Presidential Suite for the week of Christmas. We were given 3801 and 3803 in the Piano building. This was a wonderful suite with an amazing view. Unfortunately I had a hip injury and could not do alot of stairs or walking to the elevator. Lucelly our concierge was wonderful and moved us to a first floor suite 1800/1802 in the same building and it was wonderful as well. A short walk to the yoga hut and beach area. We traveled with another couple who were delayed for a couple of days due to airline mechanical failures and she was so concerned and helpful. I recommend you find a travel planner immediately once you arrive as the spa and salon booking system is challenging and appointments are hard to get and mistakes are made. So be flexible. Their internet system has certainly gone downhill. We could not get coverage in our suite and some days not even in the beach area. But as always the service was amazing. If you are into massages let me recommend Victor Cruz or Omar. Wonderful! Our rooms were wonderful but surprisingly they had flat panels in the bedrooms but an old relic in the Living room so using the DVR was a bit of a challenge. But how much time do you really spend in the suite anyway. Our biggest pet peeve was you could never get chairs at the main pool because I am convinced people come out in the middle of the night and put out their towels and other items to save the chairs. The worst of it is sometimes they never show up to use the chairs. Thankfully there are other pools and the beach areas but there must be a system to prevent chair hoarding...We heard all about the Hard Rock partnership. Personally that is disappointing but I am sure there will be a total remodel but will change the ambiance of the resort. On this trip the resort credits were great because I could take advantage of the spa even more! The mexican restaurant and the asian restaurant were not impressive and this trip we didn't do the italian restaurant because the service was so bad the last time we visited. So we were happy sticking with the Greco. The service in there was always perfect.

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet go with the Piano building, third floor. Presidential suites are the best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tampa Traveler

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to give us feedback, as you know is really important to us all the information that guests can provide as it help to revamp our processes.

We are glad to hear that for the most part you were satisfied with your stay, Will pass your advise to our chef.

And as you can see even during this transition we are keeping up our standards and will only get better with time.

We are glad to know that your expectations were fulfilled; we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and always provide you with the experience you deserve and have come to expect from us

Best Regards.

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!