“What a Mess!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aventura Spa Palace

Save Saved
You added Aventura Spa Palace to your Saves list
Aventura Spa Palace
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“What a Mess!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I go away every December for 10 days. We always book adults only, ocean front concierge service. That is how we like to travel and that is what we pay for. We booked at Aventura Spa as we had heard good review from previous years and we had wanted to go back to Mexico. So we booked our usual. What a disappointment. We were not greeted on check in even though we were supposed to have private check in. We waited in line at the front desk and still were not greeted when we reached the front of the line. We were checekd in, but not told we were not gettting the room we paid for. When questioned, they said they did not have those rooms and would give us a credit. After an hour of arguing, they agreed to give us the concierge room the next day. We noticed several other people complaining at the fron desk. In a nutshell, the hotel was in disarray with their bookings and did not seem to care if people were disappointed or angry. We contacted our travel agent and went to another resort the next day. They didn't even offer to credit the one night we did stay there. It was a horrible experience. DO NOT BOOK THERE!

Room Tip: No one in the hotel seems to know what the website advertises for rooms. Be careful what you book b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Laura S

On behalf of the Aventura Palace, I thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and observations about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

We are sorry for the bad night that you had, during the month of December we had the hotel at a 100% capacity and the concierge level is based on the availavility. I am glad to hear that at the end you did got the concierge level.

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and here in Aventura Palace hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best Regards.

3,736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Napoleon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I just spent December 17 - 22, 2012 at the Aventura with my 3 daughters. Our travel agent, Mitch at Tripguy.com took care of everything for us. We were greeted at the airport by the friendly Lomas travel guys in their teal shirts. About 10 minutes of waiting and we were off to the resort (just the 4 of us so we didn't have to stop along the way). Just under an hour later, we arrived. The Aventura is a beautiful property with plenty of trees and lush vegetation. We were offered champagne at check in and we were off to our rooms about 15 minutes later.

The bad: The rooms were not what we asked for and one of the rooms was occupied. We got things straightened out and 30 minutes later we were in rooms directly across the hall from each other. It was difficult to schedule our spa treatments but we finally got them and it was worth it. I never got a mani or pedi because there were no appointments available.

The good: Beautiful resort, loved snorkeling in the lagoon, weather was hot and sunny, food was the good and they had a bus that took us to Playa del Carmen for the day.

Overall: We had great weather and there was plenty to do on the days we weren't poolside.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Aventura Spa Palace, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear km

On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments and feedback about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience here at Aventura Palace. And we would be delighted to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have visited to Mexico four times and this was the best holiday ever. The staff in the hotel went out of their way to make our holiday an enjoyable experience. We have stayed in numerous five star hotels including both Riu Palaces in Playacar and this hotel was better by far. The attention to detail in the rooms was exceptional. The spa bath was amazing, and the hammock on the balcony was fab. The restaurants were lovely and the food on offer was to a very high standard. The restaurant staff were very professional indeed. The gardens and surrounding areas were beautiful, we would have no hesitation in returning to this beautiful oasis,

Room Tip: We stayed in room 804 in the building nearest to the wedding gazebo.The room was peaceful and had a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ScotlandWestie

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I'm currently at this resort and its our last day! :-(

My wife and i have had a wonderful stay. Usually we try to visit caribean resorts once as there are so many to try, however we both want to come back here soon!!!! Its that good!!!

Please dont listen tot he bad reviews, they are just cranky people that not only have rediculous expectations or unreal and impossible expectations.

Those same reviews scared us to death before we got here! But i can tell you this is a great resort and if you paid the slight premium to come here and you are a resonable person dont worry about a thing!!!!

Btw - i'm writing this review on the beach using the resort wide free wifi. The rooms can call Canada and USA for FREE!!!!

All the employees are VERY nice and helpful, not one bad apple in them!

Food was great! Lots of selection, the restaurants dont require reservations.

Lots of bars all over the resort. And they stock all the premium boos

If the hotel isnt too busy the resort credits are were easy to use and were well worth! Minus the 11% admin fee its a awesome deal. Just book early and make use of the spa (ask for theripist Luz, she is great!!!) . We used up all our credits.

The cove instead of the beach isnt a big deal! If you like waves just head to playa del carmen for the day. Infact not having waves was kind of nice and being able to snorkle with fhe fish that come into the cove.

I highly recommend this resort!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Dan

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had to really think about this before writing it. I read alot of mixed reviews before going to ASP (12/7 to 12/16) and I strongly believe that your vacation is what you make it. I don't care if my room is made up by a certain time, or it there are spots on mirror, or if I have to wait a little longer for dinner. I don't even care about the "towel game". The little things don't generally bother us and we really appreciate everything the staff does to make our vacation enjoyable. It's just that on this trip, there were so many little things that it just wasn't the Palace experience we've had in the past. I just felt defeated half way through the week. It was very obvious that the facilty was overbooked, the staff was overwhelmed, and there were shortages on the basics. Even though they are not physically under construction to transition to the Hard Rock brand, there is a difference in "something". Even some of the staff commented on some of the differences. I'm not going to go into all the details because I don't want anyone to be anxious about their upcoming vacation. The grounds were beautiful, we did end up with a good room, the Spa was WONDERFUL, the food was good, and the entertainment and waitstaff were great. Strictly personal preference, we now realize we prefer the smaller resorts and even though I was well aware there was no beach, we found that we really missed it. We took the tour up the HRC for the day and we LOVED it. We've already decided that is where we will be staying next year. I remember the reviews of HRC were not great while they were going through the HR transition, either. Even though ASP isn't the place for us (again, strictly personal preference), I do look forward to visiting and seeing the changes after the conversion. Still giving ASP 4 stars because I think most of our issues were temporary and we did have a good vacation. Special thanks goes out to Juana, Enrique at front desk, Ofelia who pre-arranged our Spa, and Celine at the pool for putting up with us. Note to Palace/HR Management - please try to get your reservation staff some consistant information. There is nothing worse than having to call multiple times, getting multiple answers to the same question, and then showing up after traveling thousands of miles to find out the answers were wrong.

Room Tip: Clarin building room numbers ending in an even number have good pool and ocean views.
Dear HolaDecember12

alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Aventura the 20-25th of December. All of the reviews on here made me very nervous, so I went in with a little bit of a negative expectation. We did the concierge level, which really was only a few hundred dollars more, and it was absolutely worth it. We never had a problem getting a chair. We did go reserve them early after one day, just to be certain we got the spot we wanted. The food was pretty good. I wouldn’t call it great, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. Breakfast was my favorite. I enjoyed the Italian the least, and the Japanese and Steakhouse the most. Never once did I feel like our meal was bad.
We did not feel ripped off at all by the $1500 credits. I guess it just depends how you look at it. We used approx. $900 of our credit, so our bill checking out was $90. I was thrilled to have done 3 spa treatments, go on a tour to Tulum and my husband golfed for that price. I have never been one to go to spas every day, but with our credits, I had one package with a massage/facial/body scrub, hot stone massage, and a back massage (complimentary with Concierge level). My husband had a facial, which he really liked as well. The spa truly is fabulous. Yes, we didn’t get the appointment times we wanted every time, but a little persistence goes a long way. If you ask nicely and tip a little, it’s amazing what people will do for you. I also got a pedicure in the salon, which wasn’t great. I would not waste my time or resort credits there.
The rooms were nice, but not fabulous. I am a little snobby when it comes to accommodations, and they really do have decent rooms. They need to upgrade linens, but everything was very clean. We stayed on the first floor. If there had been a 2nd or 3rd floor available we would have preferred that.
A few other things. The gym was absolutely top notch. They have spin classes, great free weights, and plenty of cardio machines. We went every day and it was pretty crowded. They could have gotten a few more elliptical machines, but other than that no complaints.
I would definitely return to the Aventura Spa. The staff was very friendly. They did not always know exactly what was going on, but they were always trying very hard to make sure you were enjoying your vacation. The big thing was, take time your first day there to book everything. It makes for a much more enjoyable time. If they say they don’t have something, be persistent and keep asking. They will get it done for you eventually. It was a bit of a hassle to book all of our spa/golf/tours, but was worth taking the hour to do it all in the long run.

Room Tip: Farther away buildings are a little quieter.
Dear greatvacay

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I arrived at Aventura Spa Palace with my girlfriend on Sunday December 16, 2012. The resort was big and clean, and we had a great first impression. First thing we did was having dinner at El Greco restaurant. The food was really good, and the staff were really friendly.
I left the resort on Sunday December 23, 2012 after I had a great time.
Rooms are usually ready for check-in at 3:00 pm, so if you arrive before that, you have to wait. But you still can go anywhere in the resort and use it as soon as you arrive even before you get you room. The best thing I liked about the resort that it's 18+. There were no kids at all :)
The spa was really good, and the food was great. This resort does not have beach beside it, so swimming only in the pools.
The $1500 resort credit was not really good! They charge very expensive for everything you want to do using the resort credit. Trips cost $1500 using resort credit, cost only $500 if you buy it on your own

Dear Qasem_N

Best regards,

Been to Aventura Spa Palace? Share your experiences!