“utter disgust after 20 plus vacations at palace resorts” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Special Price
CINCO DE MY OH MY-40% OFF
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Moncton, Canada
“utter disgust after 20 plus vacations at palace resorts”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Upon arriving at Cancun airport as always i went to find my travel bus to take me to the Aventura Spa...Once finding the correct shuttle bus i came to discover that they didnt have my name on the list...after the driver making several calls apparently for some reason they could not find me therefore i was told to take a cab and the resort would reimburse.i had no problem with that i just wanted to get to the resort...Once the cab checked in at the security gate sure enough my name was on the list. Whewww what a relief...after i got checked in i was told to go to public relations for my cab money to be returned $130.00..I gave the lady my receipt and she told me it will take a day or 2...During this time we meet with the palace welcoming person and i had explained to her about the cab incident and she apologized and assured me i would get my money and even went as far to tell me they've been having problems such as this with the shuttle company...so at this point im feelin good about gettin my money but them 3 days had passed so i went to guest services myself looking for my money...I was told by the girl that they will not be refunding me my money...i then asked to speak with her manager and this guy comes by and i explain to him my situation...He said sir you did not give the booking agent your flight information...im like are you serious, your booking agent allowed me to book a room with you guys with asking for my flight info...Isnt that there job..He tells me no its my job. i get really frustrated with this guy and even go as far as to tell him who the booking agent was and the exact time i did it...guess what he said to me? PROVE IT....oh well i wasnt happy then and i said sir you have blank blank computer in front of you are you telling me that you cannot pull up my reservation to confirm the booking agent....He would not do it..i then ask him to call reservation and ask for ivan to speak with him....so anyway hes on the phone and comes back to tell me that they have no ivan...i said give me the phone and he wouldnt...he was lying he didnt even call reservations....
Ive been to one end of cancun and stayed at Beach Palace for xmas all the way to adventura spa and sstayed at the moon so many times in between. i even stayed at the new resort in Punta cana.....
i am giving this property a terrible raiting because one person ruined my trip by tryin to manipulate and be-little me the same time...
After many yrs of bragging about palace and introducing friends, family, employees and spending mabye $50,000 it is with sadness that i will no longer return to a palace resort.....

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear darrin g,

We really appreciate you took the time for letting us know your feedback regarding your recent stay. Please accept our heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences you may have experienced regarding the service provided by our staff. We would like you to know that we work very much in the training and supervision of each member in our team, to ensure our valued members receive the best treatment and the warmness and hospitality that characterize Mexican people. You can be sure that your remarks on this matter have been already shared with our General Management and Quality Director for training purposes. In reference to the reimburse for the cab that you paid from the airport to the hotel, with all due respect allow me to inform you that in the confirmation letter for the shuttle includes a note that is important to take in consideration. That note explains that we are unable to reimburse any transportation cost if you use another company. Our goal is that every vacation will be a memorable one, therefore we deeply regret not having met your expectations and, as per your public comments, being left without any opportunity to try to restore your faith in Aventura Palace.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Bountiful, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel was really nice. It could use some updating, which they said they were doing. The food was pretty good, definitely go for the Italian, Asian, and Mexican restaurants more. Better quality and options for food. There's not much of a beach other than their own man made one. The swimming pools are great and so are the snorkeling areas. The spa was fantastic! Just a nice relaxing trip. Only issue with it was they kept getting our excursions wrong and then they charged us to make changes too them. Oh well it was fun anyway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear TakeHerWithMe,

Thank you so much for sharing such a nice review. We are delighted to know you enjoyed the variety of restaurants and snorkeling activities. It is our wish to pamper our valued guests with our amazing spa and we are so glad that you felt this way. Hope to have the opportunity to host you again in our beautiful resort.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

First and foremost, if your going to write a review use correct grammar. Now, let's analyze all the negative reviews.
I was there Dec 1 - Dec 8 2012, and the resort was packed due to the promotion that was sent out. Is that a bad thing? No, it's what happens when a great offer is hard to pass up. I truly love the people who write reviews who state that they are very easy to please. Really? The resort yes was understaffed but when you're on vacation away from your daily grind of work and such non-sense you find a way to make do. I've never seen so many people on vacation where the weather was perfect so miserable. Did we have to wait 3 hours to set up our $1500 credit of spa treatments? Yes, we did but all four of our 4 appointments went smoothly and were relaxing and much needed. Were we told about the 11% tax? No, we were not but it is what it is. Most likely the tax was to pay for the workers labor. How dare the resort pay their workers! Not a big deal. I've never seen so many people or read so many complaints from people who spent a couple grand and want to be treated like royalty with a red carpet rolled out when they enter the resort. Get over it. Yes the resort is going through a transitional phase with them being bought out by Hard Rock. Whatever, yes, the towels were frayed, who cares they were clean. If you owned a business that was bought out would you go spend $$$ on new towels or anything else, no, no you wouldn't. Did we have to wait for dinner? Yes we did, but who cares. The longest we waited was an hour. We went to the Martini Bar and enjoyed drinks served by Flower who was personal and brought a smile with her every time. The last thing I was worried about was how long I had to wait to eat. I'm on vacation. Now I've read about people complaining about the chairs on the beach. Yes there were a lot of morons who got up early and claimed there chairs but some people wanted to sleep in. I got news for you; you want a chair, get up claim it and go back to bed. Don't complain, you sound like a 10-year old kid who just got your ball stolen. Oh well, we were able to get chairs and a nice spot on the beach away from everyone. Give a couple of bucks and you're taken care of by the staff. Oh, that's right most people who come here never tip and you wonder why you're ignored. These workers work their butts off for very little and work double shifts one day a week. It's the old saying, "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" If a couple of bucks is going to break you then go camping. Once on the beach Maria could have not taken care of us anymore then she could have. Was everything "perfect" no, but it's a 100% better then sitting in the cold weather with snow back home.
You don't like the pool atmosphere, go somewhere else, you don't like the music, go somewhere else. Just because you walked in doesn't mean the resort is going to drop everything for you to cater to your every need. Unfortunately you still have to be responsible for some things. When we left, we had no problem. You think I would just jump in a van and not even look to see if my bags where in the back? Once again, a couple of dollars to the driver and our bags were handled. Once at the airport, they even checked us in, why? You guessed it smart people a couple of dollars. Everyone one of the workers who were stressed and overwhelmed still presented a smile and a friendly hello. What I saw was every tourist walking around with a scowl on their face.
Aventura Spa is going through changes, but it's still a wonderful place with a wonderful staff and wonderful ocean views. It's a vacation! To the people who say they are easy to please. I doubt it and I hope you stand by your word and never go back to Aventura Spa/Hard Rock. It's your scowl and complaining that ruins it for everyone. I can only imagine what the locals say about all the Americans, Europeans and Canadians who are just jerks and ungrateful. Truly Sad. Aventura Spa good luck in the transition and I will monitor your progress as I know your success will continue under Hard Rock's management.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Hola Kevin T,

We really appreciate you have taken a couple of minutes to share such a thorough and encouraging review about your recent visit to our resort with us and other readers of this forum. We are extremely pleased to read it and we must say that we cannot stress enough our satisfaction about the positive experience and great time you mention to have spent in our hotel.

It seems that you were able to take advantage of everything we have to offer, from our great promotions, soothing spa as well as the breathtaking landscape in every corner in addition to the smashing service that our passionate team is always willing to provide. A special thank you for spotlighting our coworker Flower who went above and beyond to exceed your expectations, we will acknowledge her for making your visit even better.

You may rest assured that adjustments are being implemented continuously to enable us to keep providing excellent service. We are confident that as a result of these actions we will continue being reliable and customer responsive.

We look forward to seeing you again. The entire team will be waiting for you with open arms. Please feel free to contact us in advance if you need any assistance.

Warmest regards
Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Aventura Spa Palace seven times. We love this resort. The employees are top-notch and make every effort to ensure a pleasant stay for the guests. There is no beach but the area overlooking the ocean is beautifully landscaped as are the grounds in general. There are 2 large pools but my favorite is a smaller current pool which is just great for getting a little low-impact exercise. Speaking of exercise, the resort has a large fitness center with a variety of exercise equipment, and the fitness center is open for extended hours. The resort rooms are a little worn but well-maintained and very clean. Each room offers a double jacuzzi.
The spa is outstanding. However, occupancy at the resort was about 90% this time and we did notice a few small shortcuts with the spa treatments. The resort has 8 restaurants so there are lots of choices here compared to many other all-inclusive resorts. Aventura Spa is just a 5-minute drive to DOLPHINARUS (for a swim with the dolphins-- an amazing experience) and a 20-minute drive to PLAYACAR GOLF (a beautiful, challenging jungle course-- bring extra golf balls!)
If you have the $1500 resort credit, be sure to sign up for your activities (spa, golf, excursions) right after you check in and have your room number to be sure that you get what you want. Ask a lot of questions when you're not sure about something because with the transition from PALACE resorts to HARD ROCK resorts and the high occupancy rate (because of special deals right now), we noticed that we didn't get as clear an explanation for things as we have in the past. Rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floor are quieter than on the 1st floor. We also noticed more middle-aged guests with the change-over to HARD ROCK as compared to the past when it was rare to see someone younger than 50. All in all, we had a great week.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear j1049,

Thank you for sharing such a nice review regarding your recent trip to Aventura Palace. It’s great to receive reviews that mention popular locations as well as important tips! This provides key information to future guests. We are very glad to know that you fully enjoyed our service and facilities and that you relaxed at our wonderful Spa. Hope that we have the opportunity to host you again. Your entire Aventura family will be waiting for you with open arms.

Kind Regards,
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just got back from spending at week at ASP. Nov. 13, - Nov. 20, 2012. Although this is still our favorite resort, they need to make a few changes. It seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

If you've never stayed here before, you'll LOVE it! This is where we bought our VIP membership many years ago, and we've noticed a gradual, but steady, decline in the service. Most of the employees are new, but there are still a few of the original Palace employees left, and you can tell immediately who they are because they stand out as shining examples...Pamela at La Trattoria for one.

Upon our arrival we didn't get our VIP check in, and our room wasn't ready, even though we had made our reservation months in advance. I 'd also like to add we paid full price for our Pres. Suite when we made the reservation. They started running the half price special AFTER we were already booked. No big deal in and of itself.

This year we brought two other couples with us. After checking in and waiting for our rooms to be ready we ate lunch. No problem. Then we decided since the rooms still weren't ready, we'd make our spa appointments. BIG problem. It took us 2 hrs. to make our appointments! We couldn't even get the complimentary mani and pedis until the end of the week because we were told there was no availability.

When our friends finally got into their room, they didn't have towels or washcloths. They called and got the towels, but no washcloths. They called the next morning and got 6 washcloths, only to have them taken away the next morning. We didn't have washcloths in our room either, but our friends in the other suite did. During the course of the week we only got turn down service twice. We are accustomed to this being a nightly service - especially in the Pres. Suite.

One day they ran out of towels and robes at the spa, of all places....the bread and butter of the resort! Another time, we couldn't make a reservation in one of the restaurants - which is supposed to be a perk of membership. Each event was just a little thing, but as "events" continued to mount up, they grew into a bigger thing. We started to anticipate "events". My husband said he was embarrassed that he was continually having to apologize for the service to the guests we brought who came on our rave recommendations of ASP service. The excuse we received from a Hard Rock/Palace rep, was that they weren't prepared for the big response to the half price sale. Really??? Surely, they know how many people have made reservations and are booked in the hotel. Wouldn't you think they would prepare for that? We made our reservations 4 months in advance. I'm sure nobody simply showed up and booked a room at the desk.

Despite my complaints (and again I emphasize that each event was small, it was just the sheer number of events), all the employees were nice and, as usual, a few went over and above...Alijendro the night time shuttle drive. I would hope the management would help employees out by giving them all the same instructions: Don't run out of towels or robes at the SPA; if you have 6 people getting room service don't bring 2 forks; the Tikal salon is on the second floor of the Spa side. Employees need know where things are when guests ask for directions. Most of the glitches were rectified within a reasonable amount of time, but we aren't used to ANY glitches at ASP. The hallmark of an ASP vacation has always been remarkable service, really exceptional, so we have an expectation that ASP unfortunately did not hit this time around. the resort just seems a little less "shiny", somehow.

We still love ASP, though, and would encourage anyone thinking of staying at this resort to go. You will definitely have a good time. We are going back again in April, and will see if we have better luck. The food is good, the staff is friendly, and the resort has so many recreation options. We just hope that ASP is able to come back to the level of truly exceptional service that sold us on this resort back in 2002.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear aventuraqueen,

While extending you a warm regard on behalf of everyone at Aventura Spa resort, I would like to deeply and sincerely thank you for sharing your views and comments related to our hotel, both, with us and all readers of this important forum.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay as described in your review. This is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our resort to our valued Members. All your comments have been forwarded to several key people in our organization in order to take the corresponding measures to correct all these situations that devalue the comfort of our loyal guests.

However we are very happy you will give us another chance. Rest assured the next time you will receive the level of service which you were accustomed to.

Warm regards
Wapakoneta, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Where to start about this place first i was told this place was a palace and that we should book because of the great deal and the $1500 room credit well let me tell you about the room credit first. I book three things over the internet as it was for our anniversary and i wanted to surprise her. Upon arriving at the Palace we spent one and a half hours waiting to talk to a planner and when we did get back to her she told us that she had no record of me scheduling anything. I showed her the e-mails with the hotel staff that i was set to go she then informed us that we would have to come back in the morning so they could talk to the other employee no im sorry or anything. Day to back to the guest service area and yes another hour wait at first i thought it was just me. sitting in the same place for a hour by the service deck you hear alot it wasn't just me everybody was complaining about the service. When we were finally taken back we were told nothing was scheduled for us and we would have to work with them really ? i though i was the customer...
Second unless you get up at about 6am in the morning and go down to the pool area and put your towels on the pool lounge chairs you wont get a chair. We even seen where people moved other peoples towels books and even their cloths to take their chairs.
Third we had a better time going down to the cove we there we kids we had no problems getting chairs and the service was great there.
Fourth upon checking out we were handed a bill for over $400 dollars when i look at it i seen that they charged us $350 dollars for the romantic dinner instead of just the tax on it i told the person behind the counter what happen and yes back to guest services to get it fixed because they couldn't. Still not one oh we are very sorry...
And for the last straw the transportation back to the airport we were told by the director to get into one van which we did 5 min later we were told to get out and to go to another van so we did we gave the people our tickets for our luggage so i got loaded and relaxed after taking off i had a bad feeling so i climbed over our seat to check our luggage in the back of the van and to me surprise it wasn't there so i told the van driver that it was missing he get very nasty and turned around say you didn't check to see it was put on i then informed him he was the loader of the luggage and we were told to get on.
There are some good things about the place Martin the bartender at the pool bar and malinia the girl around the pool anking if you need another drinks.
We will nevewr go back to this place and i am very easy to please.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear mexicorules,

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We deeply regret to hear that you did not feel the outstanding service that all out valued guest deserve, especially when you were celebrating a unique occasion such as your anniversary. We work very much in the training and supervision of each member in our team, you can be sure that your remarks on this matter have been already shared with our General Management and Quality Director for training purposes. On the other hand, we are glad to hear that Martin and Malinia were able to shine a light on your vacation. Please be informed, we are in no way, taking your dissatisfaction lightly. I have sent you a private message so we can discuss the matter further.

Mokena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed November 6th thru th 14th. What a disaster! This is not the Aventura Palace of the past. I expect a few kinks to happen...but this was it was our mistake to think that the reviews before that time were true. I realize that there are always complaints about hard beds. If that is a problem...noig deal...people like different types of mattresses...that is why buying a bed is so difficult. Okay...lets start with what the Aventura Palace WAS...a well kept resort that took care of grounds, food was very good, all the staff was very kind and friendly. If there was a problem...they fixed it. Now, under this transition and don't give care attitude...I have serious doubts on how much longer they will survive. As a member we expect things to stay the same...not ruin a vacation. True, we had the 1/2 off sale with $1500.00 resort credits. The truth is we never spent a dime and it wasn't for the 11% charge...it was because you could't book a spa appointment until your 6th day...they were too busy. Okay, I understand that...but why did they offer $3000.00 resort credits when they could not even keep up with the $1500.00 credit??? When I spoke to management after my return...they said that they hired more people. To be truthful...you it doesn't take a mad genious to realize if you even hire 100 more people for the spa...when you double the credits...it just doesn't happen. All this customer service that said they are directing the problems to the right departments...all lip service...all these complaints...no towels. upgrading rooms, never the consistency of the food in the same restaurant from night to night...overbooking...the staff not caring....there are no rooms available...different stories from different staff members...promises to fix the problem....bugs(now snakes) in the rooms!!!! Really...I waited to write this review to see if any of the problems would be corrected and give Aventura a fair shake...but in a month...I see no improvements on the reviews.. If you were not there before and were not a member you would not know how dissappointing a vacation can turn. As a read the reviews I totally relate to all the complaints...they are justified. Save yourself the dissapointment of going and seeing for yourself...my advice would be go somewhere else where the recent reviews are better...as you can see all the complaints of the past 2 or 3 months or so...the reviews before Hardrock got involved . This place was great ...now I am just trying to warn folks...Vacationers Beware!!!!! If the management would make sure housekeeping picked up the trays that the guests put out in the hallways from room service...that would be a start. Its disgusting to see the same trays out in the hall for over 6 hours. Like I said UGH about somes it up!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Guillermo G, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear andrea9939

On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments and feedback about our resort. Feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

In reference to the problems that you mentioned, please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconveniences this transition may have caused during your stay and right now as you mentioned our problem was overbooking specially with the popularity of the spa services but this is an issue that we are very aware and addressing it immediately but believe us our commitment to our guest is stronger than ever especially when our troubles are due to the popularity of our Resort.

Your comments have been shared as well with key Staff in our organization, most importantly including our Management Team.

Best Regards.

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!