“Beautiful resort but not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
35% OFF + $1,800 CREDIT
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Galt, California
“Beautiful resort but not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We traveled nov.28- dec. 2nd.. I was told this place was one of the best by friends and a family member who is a VIP member. We went to sun palace last year and lets say Aventura spa is like a 3 star compared to the Sun palace. I did read lots of reviews before we left and lets just say the bad stuff I read about happened to us. It started when we got there, we booked the an ocean view room but when arrived they screwed up and had our reservations for the cove side. We had to argue and show our aaa documents to prove that's what we booked. We ended up with a room on the Aventura Spa side but just garden view room because they had no ocean view rooms available..... But we paid for ocean view! We got screwed on that! Then when we were there and laid out near the lagoon it took forever until a waiter/waitress came around and asked for drink orders and would then half the time he would forget the drinks. I gave up on him and just got drinks myself! I drank beer most of the time because all the drinks there were watered down ..... we at one point even asked to make the drinks stronger at the restaurants. We never had those problems at sun palace and the service at sun palace was a lot better ! It also took forever to get water bottles replaced in our room when they were empty. Hopefully u like waking up early, because you have to try and reserve a seat by the pool or the lagoon. The reason i know about this because i read a review on this trip advisor about waking up. I hated waking up at 6:00 am to go out a put towels down to reserve seats everyday because I'm on vacation and wanted to sleep in. I woke up late the last day we were there at 7am and everything was full! The problem is that they don't have enough seats out here for all the people they have at the resort. I never had that problem with sun palace! The food to us was just average and nothing amazing. Members we talked to also complained about their rooms about not having robes, biosilk soaps, not getting the room they wanted....complained about service just not being the same! On the positive side this place is beautiful and the lagoons are amazing with fish swimming all around you. There is a lot of wildlife around like monkeys.... They also have a lot of things going on to keep you active and also have good entertainment.

Stayed November 2012
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear mike p,

On behalf of Aventura Palace, we would like stress our most sincere apologies that your vacation may not have been everything you would have hoped for. We are very sorry that we could not fulfill all of your expectations this time with some of our services. We will certainly take your suggestions into consideration as we try to improve every day. Please be assured that corrective measures have already been taken regarding service. We would love to have the opportunity to change the perception you had with another visit in the near future.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Let me start off by saying we had a great time and I would like to thank all the staff that made our 22 anniversary so special for my wife and I. Paulina you rock!!!! We were treated like a king and queen during our stay from the time we arrived to the moment we left. All the staff were helpful and more than willing if given a chance and treated kindly.

I understand members of Palace resorts you have valid concerns in some areas but REALLY. I was soooo embarrased for most of you and put many of you in your places. Didn't your parents teach any of you manners? I saw so many members "throwing fits and acting so dang entitled it sickened me and my wife. YOU members almost ruined our vacation, ALMOST. We did not turn down the time share because of price or that we did not like the resort, it was because I would not return to a place that I would have to see any rude "members" or be associated with such clientele.

I would also like to point out that we knew the place was in transition and were informed by some very nice members prior to leaving on vacation to take this into consideration. My wife and I have always live with the motto of you Reap what you sow, and a little kindness goes a looooong way. I am so sorry for people that cant see that good is good and that have a mentality of the glass is half empty.

Aventura thanks for a glass that was filled for our entire trip. And no I dont mean liquor because my wife and I dont drink. We saw life clearly our entire stay and stayed optomistically objective. If you are going dont worry about some of the bad reviews, make the trip fun and happy.

Btw we had no problems booking anything, never felt we "needed" to tip and made each other happy and didnt expect someone else to do it for is. Enjoy!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Daer irish348,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team of Aventura Palace!

Thank you for sharing this review regarding your recent stay with us. We are very grateful to you for your preference when selecting our hotel for such a special occasion as your anniversary. We are very happy that you felt the kindness and warmness that characterizes us at Aventura Palace. Our goal is to always provide the best stay possible so we are delighted to know about the great time you spent in our beautiful hotel. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back; we will do our best to ensure that you have a wonderful experience.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Place is a joke, took them 8 hours to check us in, reason oh we are overbooked just cleaning. Yeah right our hot tub is gross room smells mould and I have asthma so I'm so sick, coughing, wheezing. Two other couples with us, bull checking in too. My girlfriend is sick from the food, she was only one who had chicken. This place is grossly understaffed and then they had us all in different areas of the hotel. We paid ocean view but they have none left. Don't come here we do lots of travelling this place is poorly maintained and cleaned and its not cheap. We have been told we will be moved but then nothing happens. Go back to VIP check in they don't know tell us come back. Can't be bothered to ask anymore. Debating on just leaving. Read the reviews before we booked some good some bad figured we would belief in the good big mistake. This place is alright to stay if you have nothing to compare to. We stayed at sunset princess and it was much better. Stayed at the sun palace in Cancun it was awesome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Bern, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our group of four couples spent a relaxing week at Aventura over Thanksgiving. Although there were some room mix-ups initially, all was straightened out to our satisfaction. Having spent a fabulous week here last Thanksgiving, we were anxious for our return visit. This time, the food was just as good - breakfast, lunch and dinners. . . especially the food and service at La Trattoria. Victor, our waiter for the three nights we ate there, was the best! Drinks were top notch and plentiful, the spa treatments heavenly! and the weather was great too. Our biggest dissappointment was the lack of bath towels, and washcloths - we ususally had to hunt down housekeepping daily for these items. And apparently there was a shortage of bathrobes. But all in all, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear t0psail,

Thank you for sharing your review! We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced concerning the room assigning. However, we are glad that, in the end, everything was solved to your satisfaction. We are delighted to see that you spent an amazing Thanksgiving with us! Thank you for acknowledge us about the excellent service that Victor provided. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations and will do our best to make again your stay a memorable experience.

Hiram
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So I took a deep breath and began this review. I understand the resort is in transition to a Hard Rock Resort. (However, no physical changes were evident during our stay). We have visited most of the Palace resorts over the past 14 years including 3 visits to Aventura and I must say this trip was absolutely the worst. One bright spot was Jeovani our waiter at Grekkos he made our trip!

The half off special was great but we still paid too much!

Other than the Chefs Dinner, the food was mediocre at best and never served hot, or in a timely fashion. Drinks were good. Many of the staff seemed preoccupied and treated the guests as if we were a distraction. Our room did not get swept or mopped for 9 days, bed linens did not get changed until we requested(8 days into the trip) and we had to ask repeatedly for wash cloths and hand towels. No bathrobes and we did not have the amenities listed.

The Spa and Salon visits were very good but due to staffing issues we had to schedule around availability, not when we looked forward to having the treatments.

Facility and grounds were in good order but the vibe was not what it used to be. We are very, very saddened over the direction of the resort and can not recommend this property.

Upon suggestion of the vacation planner, we took a day trip to the Hard Rock Cancun (formerly Cancun Palace). While this trip brought a glimmer of hope (still not to the level of quality of service of Palace properties) it left us wondering what happened to the Palace experience we have come to enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northern wings buildings 8 and 9 are quieter and removed from a lot of activities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PJKHiram,

Thank you for sharing your comments, your feedback allows us to know our strengths and weaknesses. Our top priority at Aventura Spa Palace is that all of our guests feel like they are receiving the services and treatment they deserve. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced; we sincerely regret not being able to fulfill all of your expectations this time concerning the Romantic Dinner and the service provided by our staff. We would like you to know that we have already shared your comments with the involved departments, in order to take the corresponding corrective measures.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel to show you the improvements. We will do our best to make of your time a wonderful experience.

lake orion, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

First off, let me say that we are Palace Premier members, and bought our membership at Aventura Spa. The resort used to be top notch, service and amenities. Not any more.

Before I go any further, let me just point out a few of the wonderful people that prevented this trip from being a total disaster. Roberto, the bell captain, went out of his way to assist me when I had my accident (more on that later). He found crutches (I'm 5'5" and they were for someone 5'10" to 6'4", but at least I could hobble around the room on them), went to the gift shop to see if he could find an ace bandage, and sent the paramedics to my room when he couldn't find a bandage. He is truly a wonderful man! Then there is Elias in Public Relations, and Didier, the Captain at La Hacienda in the Cove. Due to my accident, I was confined to my room for 4 days, one of which was my birthday. Didier and Elias arranged for my husband to pick up an incredable birthday dinner, plus sent a cake and a bottle of champagne. With the service at Aventura taking such a nose dive, it was refreshing to know that these three people still believed in providing exceptional customer service.

Now, for the bad. We arrived on Friday, about 2:00. In the past, we were escorted to the VIP/Premier check-in. Not this time, we were escorted to the hotel lobby, where we sat for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come and check us in. We were traveling with friends who we had given one of our weeks. We paid exactly the same, but they gave them a different colored bracelet. When I pointed that out, they had no idea whether ours was wrong, or our friends. On top of that, they had us at opposite ends of the resort, even though I had specified that we were traveling together when I made both sets of reservations.

Sunday morning, on our way to our "Membership Update", I was walking on the pool deck, and tripped over one of the bases of the cushioned chairs. Even though the back of the chair moves, the large base stays mobile. Unfortunately, I fell and broke my ankle. The hotel doctor came, took my vitals, and referred me to the hospital in Playa del Carmen. We arrived at the hospital, only to be told that they wanted $1000 up front to even see the doctor, sorry, we declined. Okay, that will be $177 for the doctor that you saw at the resort....he only took my vitals.

For the next four days, we fought with the resort trying to get a wheel chair. A resort with over 1000 rooms, only has 6 wheel chairs.....for the entire resort. Depending on who we talked to, we would have one the next day OR there was a waiting list and the first available was December 1 (we were leaving November 30). Low and behold, the day before we were leaving, my husband went up to the lobby to make our transportation reservations, and he told the guest services person that we would need assistance getting me to the van. She looked at him and said "oh, does she need a wheel chair, there's one right here"! She told him to take it and keep it until the next day when we were leaving.

One of the days I was confined to my room, I looked over towards the dresser and there was a snake in our room. I called the front desk, and they sent someone immediately, but it took 5 people 30 minutes to trap the snake. I was very nervous in our room after that, considering I was on crutches and couldn't move very quickly. It didn't help that they told me that it was a baby, so not as poisonous as an adult.

I talked to several members the last day we were there, they all seemed just as disillusioned by the changes as we were. It appeared to me that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, very unorganized. It's a shame, because we loved Aventura Spa, now, I'm not sure we will go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear tcindy2112, thank you for providing us with your feedback. All comments and suggestions are very important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities. We regret to hear that you did not receive the service that you have come to know at Aventura Spa Palace. Our goal is that all guests receive the best service that they deserve. We are happy to hear that Elias, Didier and Roberto were able to shine a light on your vacation. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your check in. This is not the image that we strive for with our valued members. We also terribly regret that you suffered an injury during your stay. It also saddens us that we did not provide you with the service you needed afterwards. This is not at all how we want anyone to experience their vacation. I have sent you a private message to we can follow up on the matter.
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at Aventura Spa Palace for 8 days at the end of November 2012. The food was awesome but the friendly staff really made the vacation so much better. The resort needs a face lift which I believe they are working on but, it's not that bad. Still very clean and it's a huge place. Lot's to do every day and night. You can check out the Spa side or the Cove side but you'll need to find the cart rides that take you there or else it's a long walk.

I never came across staff that weren't friendly, they never ask for tips but I started tipping more towards the end of my stay because they made my vacation so much better. The drinks they make are great. They never say no to anything, just ask and it will be done.

I would go back for sure. Palace resort owners, if you ever read this, please keep your staff happy as they are the key to people's enjoyment at your resort chains. Good times, can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Stay between Spa and Cove side with a view of the pool. That way you don't have to walk far to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear FarSexi,

Thank you so much for your great review. Our guest comments are very important to us. We are very happy to know that you had an amazing and enjoyable stay at Aventura Palace. Thanks specially for recognizing the friendliness and politeness of our staff members; they are indeed our most precious resource. We can’t wait to be the host on your upcoming vacation. We are so grateful to all our loyal guests and we will make sure that you experience the luxury and service you deserve.

Best Regards,

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!