“What a way to spend Thanksgiving!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
New Bern, NC
“What a way to spend Thanksgiving!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our group of four couples spent a relaxing week at Aventura over Thanksgiving. Although there were some room mix-ups initially, all was straightened out to our satisfaction. Having spent a fabulous week here last Thanksgiving, we were anxious for our return visit. This time, the food was just as good - breakfast, lunch and dinners. . . especially the food and service at La Trattoria. Victor, our waiter for the three nights we ate there, was the best! Drinks were top notch and plentiful, the spa treatments heavenly! and the weather was great too. Our biggest dissappointment was the lack of bath towels, and washcloths - we ususally had to hunt down housekeepping daily for these items. And apparently there was a shortage of bathrobes. But all in all, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear t0psail,

Thank you for sharing your review! We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced concerning the room assigning. However, we are glad that, in the end, everything was solved to your satisfaction. We are delighted to see that you spent an amazing Thanksgiving with us! Thank you for acknowledge us about the excellent service that Victor provided. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations and will do our best to make again your stay a memorable experience.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Hiram
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So I took a deep breath and began this review. I understand the resort is in transition to a Hard Rock Resort. (However, no physical changes were evident during our stay). We have visited most of the Palace resorts over the past 14 years including 3 visits to Aventura and I must say this trip was absolutely the worst. One bright spot was Jeovani our waiter at Grekkos he made our trip!

The half off special was great but we still paid too much!

Other than the Chefs Dinner, the food was mediocre at best and never served hot, or in a timely fashion. Drinks were good. Many of the staff seemed preoccupied and treated the guests as if we were a distraction. Our room did not get swept or mopped for 9 days, bed linens did not get changed until we requested(8 days into the trip) and we had to ask repeatedly for wash cloths and hand towels. No bathrobes and we did not have the amenities listed.

The Spa and Salon visits were very good but due to staffing issues we had to schedule around availability, not when we looked forward to having the treatments.

Facility and grounds were in good order but the vibe was not what it used to be. We are very, very saddened over the direction of the resort and can not recommend this property.

Upon suggestion of the vacation planner, we took a day trip to the Hard Rock Cancun (formerly Cancun Palace). While this trip brought a glimmer of hope (still not to the level of quality of service of Palace properties) it left us wondering what happened to the Palace experience we have come to enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northern wings buildings 8 and 9 are quieter and removed from a lot of activities.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear PJKHiram,

Thank you for sharing your comments, your feedback allows us to know our strengths and weaknesses. Our top priority at Aventura Spa Palace is that all of our guests feel like they are receiving the services and treatment they deserve. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced; we sincerely regret not being able to fulfill all of your expectations this time concerning the Romantic Dinner and the service provided by our staff. We would like you to know that we have already shared your comments with the involved departments, in order to take the corresponding corrective measures.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel to show you the improvements. We will do our best to make of your time a wonderful experience.

lake orion, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

First off, let me say that we are Palace Premier members, and bought our membership at Aventura Spa. The resort used to be top notch, service and amenities. Not any more.

Before I go any further, let me just point out a few of the wonderful people that prevented this trip from being a total disaster. Roberto, the bell captain, went out of his way to assist me when I had my accident (more on that later). He found crutches (I'm 5'5" and they were for someone 5'10" to 6'4", but at least I could hobble around the room on them), went to the gift shop to see if he could find an ace bandage, and sent the paramedics to my room when he couldn't find a bandage. He is truly a wonderful man! Then there is Elias in Public Relations, and Didier, the Captain at La Hacienda in the Cove. Due to my accident, I was confined to my room for 4 days, one of which was my birthday. Didier and Elias arranged for my husband to pick up an incredable birthday dinner, plus sent a cake and a bottle of champagne. With the service at Aventura taking such a nose dive, it was refreshing to know that these three people still believed in providing exceptional customer service.

Now, for the bad. We arrived on Friday, about 2:00. In the past, we were escorted to the VIP/Premier check-in. Not this time, we were escorted to the hotel lobby, where we sat for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come and check us in. We were traveling with friends who we had given one of our weeks. We paid exactly the same, but they gave them a different colored bracelet. When I pointed that out, they had no idea whether ours was wrong, or our friends. On top of that, they had us at opposite ends of the resort, even though I had specified that we were traveling together when I made both sets of reservations.

Sunday morning, on our way to our "Membership Update", I was walking on the pool deck, and tripped over one of the bases of the cushioned chairs. Even though the back of the chair moves, the large base stays mobile. Unfortunately, I fell and broke my ankle. The hotel doctor came, took my vitals, and referred me to the hospital in Playa del Carmen. We arrived at the hospital, only to be told that they wanted $1000 up front to even see the doctor, sorry, we declined. Okay, that will be $177 for the doctor that you saw at the resort....he only took my vitals.

For the next four days, we fought with the resort trying to get a wheel chair. A resort with over 1000 rooms, only has 6 wheel chairs.....for the entire resort. Depending on who we talked to, we would have one the next day OR there was a waiting list and the first available was December 1 (we were leaving November 30). Low and behold, the day before we were leaving, my husband went up to the lobby to make our transportation reservations, and he told the guest services person that we would need assistance getting me to the van. She looked at him and said "oh, does she need a wheel chair, there's one right here"! She told him to take it and keep it until the next day when we were leaving.

One of the days I was confined to my room, I looked over towards the dresser and there was a snake in our room. I called the front desk, and they sent someone immediately, but it took 5 people 30 minutes to trap the snake. I was very nervous in our room after that, considering I was on crutches and couldn't move very quickly. It didn't help that they told me that it was a baby, so not as poisonous as an adult.

I talked to several members the last day we were there, they all seemed just as disillusioned by the changes as we were. It appeared to me that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, very unorganized. It's a shame, because we loved Aventura Spa, now, I'm not sure we will go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear tcindy2112, thank you for providing us with your feedback. All comments and suggestions are very important to us as it helps us know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities. We regret to hear that you did not receive the service that you have come to know at Aventura Spa Palace. Our goal is that all guests receive the best service that they deserve. We are happy to hear that Elias, Didier and Roberto were able to shine a light on your vacation. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your check in. This is not the image that we strive for with our valued members. We also terribly regret that you suffered an injury during your stay. It also saddens us that we did not provide you with the service you needed afterwards. This is not at all how we want anyone to experience their vacation. I have sent you a private message to we can follow up on the matter.
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at Aventura Spa Palace for 8 days at the end of November 2012. The food was awesome but the friendly staff really made the vacation so much better. The resort needs a face lift which I believe they are working on but, it's not that bad. Still very clean and it's a huge place. Lot's to do every day and night. You can check out the Spa side or the Cove side but you'll need to find the cart rides that take you there or else it's a long walk.

I never came across staff that weren't friendly, they never ask for tips but I started tipping more towards the end of my stay because they made my vacation so much better. The drinks they make are great. They never say no to anything, just ask and it will be done.

I would go back for sure. Palace resort owners, if you ever read this, please keep your staff happy as they are the key to people's enjoyment at your resort chains. Good times, can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Stay between Spa and Cove side with a view of the pool. That way you don't have to walk far to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Monica M, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear FarSexi,

Thank you so much for your great review. Our guest comments are very important to us. We are very happy to know that you had an amazing and enjoyable stay at Aventura Palace. Thanks specially for recognizing the friendliness and politeness of our staff members; they are indeed our most precious resource. We can’t wait to be the host on your upcoming vacation. We are so grateful to all our loyal guests and we will make sure that you experience the luxury and service you deserve.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Let me say right away that I do not easily give a bad review. It takes a considerable amount of problems on a consistent basis to elicit such. Take a look at my other reviews as examples.
I’m going to try and keep this short, sweet and in point form:
The Good:
- The service staff is exceptionally caring, polite and goes above and beyond what their normal duties dictate.
- The resort is immaculate and beautiful… not to mention enormous.
- The food and beverages are above average.
- Used resort credits for a couple of the excursions (Tulum, Chichen Itza)
- Used resort credits to upgrade my wine selection.

The Bad:
- Safe was not working (dead battery) and after 2 calls to the front desk followed by 2 visits it was fixed 14 hours later.
- I called the previous week to my arrival and reserved 3 spa treatments (massages) and when I went for my first appointment, I was told none of the bookings were recorded and that they could not fit me in until my last day there.

The Ugly:
- Arrived at the resort and was given the third degree as to why I was not there the day before as their records indicated. Showed them MY itinerary with the correct dates and then ask them why someone was waiting for me at the airport with a shuttle? No answer, acknowledgement or apology for their behavior.
- I had called the week before to request a 3rd floor room. Because of their date mix-up, they gave it away the previous day and did not try to find me another one. Simply said the resort was full. Later found out that the resort may have been at 30% capacity… and I’m being overly generous.
- No one from the resort took the time to show me around, explain when and how the restaurants operate and how the $1500 resort credit system works. I had to figure out all these specifics by myself by asking people not working at the front desk/administration.

Now this last upcoming point is a personal preference and not an issue with the staff or resort. I did considerable research into choosing a resort with all the amenities for me and knew that there wasn’t a beach only a cove/lagoon and I didn’t think it would matter. But after 3 days, I found myself longing for a beach and the calming, soothing waters of the ocean.

In summary, is the Aventura Spa Palace a nice resort? Absolutely.
Is it worth the $$? In my opinion, no.
Would I stay there again? No.

Room Tip: Avoid a first level room as it will have a musty odor coming from the complex's septic system.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear OliverStone, thank you for sharing your comments, your feedback allows us to know our strengths and weaknesses. Our top priority at Aventura Spa Palace is that all of our guests feel like they are receiving the services and treatment they deserve. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants and service provided the staff. We would like to apologize however for the inconvenience you experienced with your safe as well as the confusion at check-in and the Spa. Based on your feedback we will implement changes in order to have improvements in customer satisfaction. We hope to host you again so that you can see the new improvements.
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

DO NOT PURCHASE A MEMBERSHIP AT THESE RESORTS. . Once they have your money they treat you like crap.

Made my reservation 7 months in advance, arrived with confirmation number and was told they had no reservation for me and no room. Hotel was filled to 100% capacity with people who responded to their promotions, but as a member I was told to wait a few hours while they found me a room. Then they tried to put me at the neighboring cove. Only after losing my temper at the front desk did they find me a room, after I made it clear I wasn't leaving and wasn't shutting up.

Later while talking to a concierge I looked at his computer screen had there was my reservation with the date I had made it 7 months before.

This is no way to start what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. They are complete incompetents. Your only leverage as a customer is to take your business elsewhere, but once you are a member you lose that leverage and this company does not care about your satisfaction. So I am telling the rest of the world to TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear SpOkes,

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay; especially concerning your reservation and the service provided by some of our staff. This is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our Resort to our valued Customers. It is our obligation to make our customers feel as they deserve and this is why we regret that you did not feel our warm service and our special treatment which is customary to our Guests.

Please be informed, we are in no way, taking your dissatisfaction lightly. We deeply regret to know your perception about our resort; your comments have been forwarded to the areas involved in order to implement strategies to provide better and timely information, more tools and resources for our guest and improved procedures for handling challenges in the future. We are confident, as a result of these actions; we will continue being reliable and customer responsive.

Hope you give us the opportunity to host you again to show you the improvements.
Westminster, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

As members of the Palace Resorts for over 10 years, we have been to Adventura in the past and quite enjoyed our stay. This resort used to be our first choice above many other Palace resorts up until its recent changes. It split into the Adventura Cove, and it has now changed again merging into Adventura Hard Rock. Unfortunately with these changes, the quality of this resort has PLUMMETED.
If any of you have been to Adventura in the past, I DISCOURAGE you to go there again! The changes have made the quality of this resort completely terrible and unacceptable. For all the first time visitors, who may not have known the amazing quality Adventura used to have, this may not be too bad. My ratings for this palace is 2 STARS, maybe 3 MAX, with me being generous. A sign that this resort is going down in the dumps is its MASSIVE 50% SALE THROUGH 2013. They must not even be close to their sales goals to put a steal of a deal like that. Coming back from our trip recently for Thanksgiving, we now know why. It’s because of its awful service and quality. Let me highlight some of the details of our experience for you.
• The Shuttle airport transfer from and to the resort has actually improved. We did not have to wait long at all. The staff and driver were professional and did not hassle us for tips like before. Note that Palace Resort/Hard Rock advertised that tips and taxes are included in all services. However, we still like to give extra tips when the service is exceptional.
• As VIP (black band) members of the resort, we had the privilege of a separate check-in area which was very nice. We did not have to wait in line. There was a nice sit down lounge for us with a waiter ready to take order for our drinks. Because we knew the routine, we booked our tours and spa services at the same time.
• As we interacted with staff members, we were surprised that many of them were very new, just working there from one day to a few months. Most of them commented that they were not sure if they would stay. That was the first sign something was a bit off. In the past, we usually ran into staff who have been with the resort for many years and were very happy with the management. Therefore, happy employees created great services. However on this trip, we often experienced the attitude of “don’t know, don’t care or I just work here”. We were highly disappointed with the poor quality of services we received from the staff.
• $1,500 hotel credit. Sounds great right? But recently they added something we all hate, 11% service fee(11% of any dollar used out of this $1,500). In the past, there is no 11% service fee added. It was truly free credit with your stay. The price is worth it for only tours and spa. It all used to be free with your hotel stay, so it was unfortunate that there was a fee added. The price was not worth it for wine and gifts, because those prices were inflated outrageously.
• The room is the same. However, there is no bath robe! Also, the bath towels were very frail and worn out. It is unbelievable that they actually use the old dilapidated towels, the kind that we use to clean our pets or wash our cars. Yes they gave us those towels for our bodies. When we complained, the manager said that they are aware of the age of the towels but everything is in “transition”. They are not allowed to use the new “Hard Rock” towels yet. Bad excuse if you ask me. There used to be plenty of towels. Now, the quantity is cut in half. This “transition” excuse they used explaining everything that’s wrong with their resort, is really going to hurt their business.
• About the facility. The elevator is filthy. There was a stain that was there the whole week of our stay. Obviously, no one cleans the elevator. Grass is not as green as it used to be. Shrubs and trees were not well trimmed. Many of them are half dead. Staff members told us that management has laid off many employees. The indoor pool was two feet short of water. When we questioned management, there was no explanation. Is it a way to cut cost? There is no staff to take care of the tennis and basketball court. When we called to ask for water and towel, we were told to walk back to the hotel to get it ourselves. What kind of service is that!? Definitely not the service of a 4-star hotel. All the nets at the three tennis courts were not setup to the right height. No center band. Weeds are grown around the court. Animal feces scattered around. The situation is pathetic for tennis players like us. Many of the golf cart drivers are so new (from 1 day to a few weeks) that they can hardly drive it. They bump into the shrub, curb side or have to go back and forth several times. Some of the golf carts ran out of electricity. One of the carts had a horrible screeching noise as if one of the wheel was about to fall off. It was scary.
• About the restaurants. What a disappointment. In short, the Cove provided better food than the Spa. At the Spa where we stayed, the breakfast and lunch buffet are the same for all seven days. Can you imagine, a 4-star resort use paper napkins, one thin paper napkin! Breakfast with a different kind of cook to order eggs, bacon, sausage but NO hash brown. Service is spotty. Obviously, there are not enough well trained staffs. They were very understaffed. Again, most of them are new and not happy. About the dinner, the food quality has gone downhill and long waits for our food after we were seated. After trying the Japanese, Italian and healthy restaurant, we decided to go to the Cove for dinner buffet. More choice and no wait.
• Night entertainment. There is a daily music band at the Spa, various shows and a disco at the Cove. This reminded us of a second class performance at a rundown casino in downtown Las Vegas with poor sound system. We heard that Hard Rock is well known for their entertainment. Well, at least there are options.
This trip is quite a disappointment for us. We felt that the resort management has short changed its members by changing their focus without checking with their members and cutting its services. Worse yet, they have the audacity to approach us to purchase a membership upgrade. Definitely not after that awful stay. Another bad part is prior to this trip we already paid for another trip at the same resort next June to celebrate our sons’ graduation with another family, a total of 10 people. Unfortunately, they won’t let us cancel the trip to get our money back. The best they would do is to give us credit and promise us that the service will be better because by that time they will almost be a full fledge “Hard Rock”, and no longer “in transition”. Note that being tired of their BS or excuse, I challenged them to move me to the Hard Rock Cancun (used to be Cancun Palace) for a few days because it is already “full fledge” Hard Rock this year. If the service is excellent as they claimed, I would consider buying an upgrade. Guess what, they told us that the hotel is overbooked. Again with another excuse. As we talked to many people during this trip, majority of them have complaints after complaints. When we talked to the person who is in charge of the transition project, his reply was he heard it all. Well, if he heard EVERYONE complaint, was anything going to be done about it? Regardless, the company will proceed with its plan. Things will be the way they are until the Hard Rock grand opening in next August. It was obvious that complaints will fall on deaf ear. Whatever management comments or apologetic responses that you read in Tripadvisor are pure lip service. In conclusion, DON’T GO THERE. DON’T BUY MEMBERSHIP. There are plenty of other all-inclusive resorts in the areas that cater to your needs and emphasize on customer service. We hope that what we experienced in this trip is temporary and transitional as Hard Rock management explained it.

Room Tip: Third Floor, a way from the pool to avoid music noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jvu4,

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; this is certainly not the image we strive to portray at our Resort to our valued Customers. Thank you for sharing your concerns, when you feel we did not meet your expectations it is important for us to know. We regret to know your perception; please be informed that your comments have been forwarded to the areas involved in order to implement strategies to provide the excellent service our dear customers deserve and have come to expect from us. I am sending you a private message in order to take care of your concerns regarding your next stay with us.

We remain at your entire disposal,

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!