First off, let me say that we are Palace Premier members, and bought our membership at Aventura Spa. The resort used to be top notch, service and amenities. Not any more.
Before I go any further, let me just point out a few of the wonderful people that prevented this trip from being a total disaster. Roberto, the bell captain, went out of his way to assist me when I had my accident (more on that later). He found crutches (I'm 5'5" and they were for someone 5'10" to 6'4", but at least I could hobble around the room on them), went to the gift shop to see if he could find an ace bandage, and sent the paramedics to my room when he couldn't find a bandage. He is truly a wonderful man! Then there is Elias in Public Relations, and Didier, the Captain at La Hacienda in the Cove. Due to my accident, I was confined to my room for 4 days, one of which was my birthday. Didier and Elias arranged for my husband to pick up an incredable birthday dinner, plus sent a cake and a bottle of champagne. With the service at Aventura taking such a nose dive, it was refreshing to know that these three people still believed in providing exceptional customer service.
Now, for the bad. We arrived on Friday, about 2:00. In the past, we were escorted to the VIP/Premier check-in. Not this time, we were escorted to the hotel lobby, where we sat for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come and check us in. We were traveling with friends who we had given one of our weeks. We paid exactly the same, but they gave them a different colored bracelet. When I pointed that out, they had no idea whether ours was wrong, or our friends. On top of that, they had us at opposite ends of the resort, even though I had specified that we were traveling together when I made both sets of reservations.
Sunday morning, on our way to our "Membership Update", I was walking on the pool deck, and tripped over one of the bases of the cushioned chairs. Even though the back of the chair moves, the large base stays mobile. Unfortunately, I fell and broke my ankle. The hotel doctor came, took my vitals, and referred me to the hospital in Playa del Carmen. We arrived at the hospital, only to be told that they wanted $1000 up front to even see the doctor, sorry, we declined. Okay, that will be $177 for the doctor that you saw at the resort....he only took my vitals.
For the next four days, we fought with the resort trying to get a wheel chair. A resort with over 1000 rooms, only has 6 wheel chairs.....for the entire resort. Depending on who we talked to, we would have one the next day OR there was a waiting list and the first available was December 1 (we were leaving November 30). Low and behold, the day before we were leaving, my husband went up to the lobby to make our transportation reservations, and he told the guest services person that we would need assistance getting me to the van. She looked at him and said "oh, does she need a wheel chair, there's one right here"! She told him to take it and keep it until the next day when we were leaving.
One of the days I was confined to my room, I looked over towards the dresser and there was a snake in our room. I called the front desk, and they sent someone immediately, but it took 5 people 30 minutes to trap the snake. I was very nervous in our room after that, considering I was on crutches and couldn't move very quickly. It didn't help that they told me that it was a baby, so not as poisonous as an adult.
I talked to several members the last day we were there, they all seemed just as disillusioned by the changes as we were. It appeared to me that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, very unorganized. It's a shame, because we loved Aventura Spa, now, I'm not sure we will go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A blend of relaxation and adventure awaits you at this adults only retreat. Set in the Riviera Maya overlooking the aquamarine Caribbean Sea, enjoy 1,266 luxurious accommodations with double Jacuzzi, balcony (most with hammock), and 24 hr. room service. Among the facilities to highlight is the state-of-the-art spa offering a perfect day of pampering. Guests can also enjoy seven restaurants, several bars, a disco, outdoor/indoor pools, and unlimited tours as part of the all-inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Amex, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aventura Hotel Palace
- Aventura Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Mayan Riviera Palace
- Adventure Spa Palace
- Hotel Mayan Palace
- Adventura Spa Palace
- Aventura Palace Spa
- Aventura Spa Palace Riviera Maya
- Aventura Spa Palace Resort
- Aventura Spa Palace Mexico