“Aventura Spa Palace very nice resort for adults” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km 72, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Spa Palace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
35% OFF + $1,800 CREDIT
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Columbus, Ohio
“Aventura Spa Palace very nice resort for adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This review is a few weeks behind however, our trip to ASP in August for my wife's birthday, and our anniversary, was excellent.
August is HOT hot hot, wow! One of the hottest vacation I have ever been on. I sweated bad just walking to breakfast each morning. Temp's in upper 90's, low 100's with the heat index.

EXCELLENT: Grounds are stunning, the work that has gone into this over the years. Wow, the property area is just stunningly beautiful.
Clarin Bld. with Oceanview, room 3538 was outstanding, the volleyball pool, and the bar pool, and sitting areas were a short 2 minute walk. Service at the pool was great, took a bit longer due to distance for the servers but we just ordered two drinks each, instead of one.
Palace bucks- Do not screw around with the bucks, know what you want before you arrive, and book what you want the INSTANT you arrive. Otherwise you run the risk of getting locked out on day, or times. We used $1504/$1500 We had 0 problems like usual spending the money. Wife used $1044 in the spa. She had 2 80 minute facials, 3 80 massages, and 1 25 minute mani, and one 25 minute pedicure, they were free. She also had 2 hair conditioning treatments. I had 2-25 minute massages that were free with the VIP membership we bought from a member. One $300 jewelry store certificate. She bought a chain which she wore all week long, and loves. $298 palace bucks, plus $33 real dollars in taxes. Lastly we went to Coba for $160 palace bucks on Tuesday. Coba was outstanding, loved the shade under the trees, made doing the tour tolerable from heat standpoint.

The spa area is outstanding, the look the feel, vibe all cool. I didn't get to try the gym, or the hydrotherapy workouts, she didnt either. Just the size of it, and all they offered, along with it being free..... 70 massage rooms alone. Adults only feature for Spa side was wierd not seeing the kids around, unless we went over to Cove side.
The shuttle golf-carts we used a lot to move back and forth On monday we did the Monkey tour which was fun, but the monkeys always just stayed out of our viewing. Hard to see them, still it was different, and free. Main blds at both Spa, and Cove, the sitting atrium area was different, and very cool indeed. Nice chairs for reading the newspaper, or just a book, or even just to wait on someone.
Cove palace side had a sports bar, and had a coffee/pastry shop which was cool. Both buildings were some of my favorite spots while there. Lobby bar: From monday-friday lived in there, again Jose was there and I drank Absolut double shot screwdrivers, Cadillac Margarita, and Don Julio Margaritas, bumblebee shots, more shots yea! The crowd was young couples on honeymoons which made it even better. Usually there till 1am, sometimes later..... 3am one night. I loved the location of this bar too.
Pools were excellent, large, with those bridges to hide out from the sun, the chairs always something available even at 2pm. Pool area was empty at 10am which was strange... to much drinking the night before (2 thumbs up). Plenty of space/chairs, close to the entertainment staff, or further away, and more quiet. Outstanding pool area.
NO MORE TOWEL CARDS- Yea they did away with them, palace resortswide. Just sign your name and room number, and unsign when returning them.

GOOD:
The Italian Resturant- La Trattoria, and sitting outside post 7:30pm to hot any earlier. I loved the fillet mignon, and the pasta. Everything really.
Also the Mexican rest. at the Cove side, name escapes me right now, loved the salsa singers, food was good too.
Resort size is big including both sides, this made us not go, and see, any shows except the drum/fire show. That show seemed to be not as good as it was at the Beach Palace, probably due to layout, seemed shorter, and not as many people involved either.
The staff overall, some were great Jose at the lobby bar, some not so much. We had to ask by phone for refrigorator refills on beverages every single day, but one. But overall it was B, maybe B+.
The inlet cove itself was cool looking but it was slimy, and super hot, it was more like a hot tub, than a lagoon. Fish were cool, the look was cool. We didn't use the sitting chairs at the lagoon, it wasn't sand but more like crushed shells, hard on the feet. Still looked nice though. Swimming pools made up for lack of real beach bigtime, we didn't even care.

AVERAGE:
Distance to the airport, took us 65 minutes to get there, and 45 minutes to get back. Now there was many complaints from people about being at the airport for 1-2 hours, and, or taking 2-4 hours once they left the airport. The company Palace uses is called TRAFFIC tours shared transport. I threw a $3$$ fit at about 15 minutes of standing around, they jumped, and our wait was about 20 minutes total. We dropped off one family at Esmerlda Blue Bay, and that was it. Coming back we had a full bus all from Cove/Spa travelers, timing it was easy, with no stopping. 40 minutes is about as good as it will get, coming, or going. I heavily advise you to use PRIVATE transport, if your booking this far south into the riveria maya area.
The the food in all other restaurants, except El Grecko was only ok. Mundaca steaks were ..... Almost all the food was just average, or worse. Pool bar food was only ok as well, hell at BP I lived on that for lunch, basically same stuff on the menu, but ASP menu was smaller. Even a hamburger was only ok. Strange
Martini Bar- I went thinking I would be living at this bar, we went saturday and sunday nights. But it was too windy, and to disco like with the lights, sunday night had a lot of the wedding crowds doing there last night out in there. It just didn't do anything for me like Skyview at Beach palace does. Starting on Monday we went to lobby bar and never went back.
POOR:
El Grecko was horrible- Lunch first day while waiting on the room to open up we had lunch. Open air, hot as hell, no breeze. CLOSE the doors, or make it totally open-air. I didnt' even get a drink, girl never showed up. I had to walk over to the pool bar and get my own. Food was only ok too.
No palace resorts shirts, they use a private company in those stores. COME ON GUYS I want to buy some shirts. My Beach Palace collered white shirt is one of my favorite. I could have spend $60-$100 buying them from various hotels on this stay alone. Bring back the shirts..... please.
MISC:
There was a boatload of young couples on there honeymoons, and three weddings. The wedding crowds all were on Saturday, all were gone by monday, not one after that. The young people made the place alive. No conventions.
We did use the shuttle bus one day to visit Playacar, and finally Cozumel Palace. Coz was everything I expected, Playacar was ok, nothing special about that place. Oh and the shuttle bus now goes all the way to the Beach Palace, not just to Moon Palace.

My wife thinks this one is now her new favorite palace resort, but for me Beach Palace is still it. Outside of the location, distance, food, and some service problems it was a borderline excellent destination.
Lastly Aventura Spa and Cove will become a Hard Rock Hotel property, like the Dominican Republic property did. Anywere from Sept-Nov. The change is certain, the date is not. No telling how it will turn out, but palace resorts will still run the property day-to-day operations, just like in DR.
Overall grade 90/100, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a more secluded, adults only large resort. The excellent and good was 10x the average/poor. We shall be going back again in the future.

Room Tip: Clarin bld 3rd floor 3500-3512, 3530-3540 solid good views and close to main bld., and spa.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This was our second visit in less than a year. The setting, the food, the drinks and the people were amazing.

I think that it is worth mentioning some specific people that made our trip extra special. While there wasn't one person that we encountered that wasn't friendly and welcoming, we feel that mentioning a few by name will show the personal touch that these employees provided.

Freddy - bartender at the Spa pool during the days....very accomodating and pleasant.
Elias, Mario, Eddie and Xaniath - Kept us busy with Mayan basketball and water polo - all very fun!
Mathias - one of the MANY great groundskeepers. He was out front of the palace taking care of the beautiful plants - all the while with a smile on his face.
Johnny - Waiter at La Hacienda - we had quite a big group and he worked very hard to make sure that our food was perfect, our drinks were full and all the while maintaining a personable and fun attitude.

Again, while we cannot mention everyone that helped make our stay pleasant - we must acknowledge that everyone on staff was great. There are a lot of people that work there - from the groundskeepers, to the cleaning staff, to the spa staff, to the entertainment, etc - and each one of them deserves a pat on the back!

Highly recommend this resort to ALL!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed at ASP from August 22 to 29th and had an absolutely wonderful time. We are a couple in our early 30s, one of whom is a vegetarian and a clean freak. Keep in mind that we stayed here during the low season so some of our experiences may not reflect the busy season.

In General
The resort was very clean and beautifully landscaped. There were always people working to improve the landscaping and the area in front of the lagoon (quasi beach) was groomed every night. The room was clean when we arrived and the cleaning services were great. We never got any towel animals, but frankly we could not have cared less about that!

There were many things to do, including activities around the pool, a tour to see the wild spider monkeys on the property (amazing!!! we saw a momma monkey use her body to make a bridge from one tree to the other for her baby! ), a climbing wall (which can be used at 3 pm daily), snorkel equipment and tours in the lagoon (we held sea urchins and star fish!), kayaking in the lagoon, yoga, pilates, spin and zumba classes, an obstacle course (careful, some spots are a little slick and my husband hurt his hand when he fell one time), and so many others.

There were a few things that were not available though we had read about them on reviews and other sites. The first was a boxing ring/boxing lessons - I guess they got rid of those some time ago. The second was an introductory diving lesson in the dive tank - they had no instructor at the time we visited so we were unable to do that. Also we had read that a sauna/steam room was available even if you did not go to the spa. This was not true. The only sauna and steam rooms are in the hydrotherapy area of the spa. There are two jacuzzis available outside the spa however.

There is a putting green just outside the lobby of ASP and apparently you get the clubs from the fitness centre to use it. There is a small stable outside the lobby of ASP too with 3 horses and apparently you can ride them but we never did, so I'm not sure how you make those arrangements. There is a yoga hut near the ocean front where yoga classes are offered every morning at 8 am. Gloria will give you a great workout! Spin classes are at 9 in the gym, and zumba or pilates are offered at 10 am on alternating days. There are two jacuzzis, a cold plunge pool and a pool under a roof just outside the gym. The pool is great for rainy afternoons and the jacuzzis are great any time of day. The gym had a ton of equipment and was well maintained.

Food and Drink
The food at this resort was wonderful. We really appreciated that all dinners were a la carte but that no reservations were required. We were able to eat when we felt like it rather than working around a schedule. I did get sick one time after eating at the Mo Mo No Hana restaurant - the asian restaurant off the ASP lobby. I think it was due to the bean sprouts in my meal which, when I saw them in the lunch buffet, looked more aged than I would have expected. I would advise avoiding the bean sprouts. However, there were vegetarian options available at all the restaurants, including the Mundaca steak house. There were often, but not always, vegan options available. The staff were highly amenable to requests and substitutions. The presentation of the meals was spectacular. We really enjoyed the mayan coffee and flaming guacamole tableside shows at La Hacienda in the Aventura Cove Palace lobby. They were always able to accomodate my request for decaf coffee and baileys after our supper. I recommend the juice bar near the indoor pool any time of day - they make the most amazing and delicious smoothies, better than any other drink we had the entire stay.

Entertainment
This is the first time we have stayed at a resort where we have enjoyed the evening entertainment. We attended 3 of the shows: the circus show, the magic show and the fire and drums show. These were on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights I believe. They were really impressive! I think it is worth going to see all of these. I cannot comment on any of the others as we did not attend them. We did a snorkel tour of the inlet at ASP with a great guide - I recommend doing this during your stay. However, I must say that you have to be very brave to do the snorkel tour on the Aventura Cove Palace side lagoon as we saw one or two 4 - 5 ft barracudas in that lagoon!!! We never saw such a huge fish on the ASP side and I think it may be because the ASP lagoon is much more shallow than the ACP side. We did see angel fish jump out of the water for bread on the ACP side which was amazing, and we never spotted any of those on the ASP side. They streak through the water like bullets - really worth seeing.

Spa
We stayed 7 days and were given 1500 $ in resort credits. We used every penny we could at the spa and it was absolute heaven!! We spent 4 afternoons at the spa, my husband and I each had 4 treatments. We both had an 80 min deep tissue massage, and an 80 min Thai herbal massage. He had a 50 min Shiatzu massage and an 80 min hot stone massage. I had an 80 min aromatherapy masage and an 80 min mayan chocolate wrap. I think our favourites were the Thai and hot stone massages - just awesome! The massages averaged about 125$ for 50 min and 185$ for 80 min. Couples treatments were available but were more than double the cost of individual treatments. Since we don't really interact during our treatments we opted to have more individual treatments. The spa was always able to accomodate our request that we receive the treatments at the same time and was always able to offer a female therapist at my request. The only wierd thing that happened as that my aromatherapy masseuse seemed to be having a bad day. Her hands seemed to be giving out and at one point I think she fell asleep! It was very weird. She extended my treatment to 105 minutes instead of 80, maybe to make up for it? Because of that bizarreness, I would not recommend the aromatherapy massage, but I'm sure it would have been fine if I had had a different therapist.

We always went to the spa 1.5 - 2 hrs before our treatment to enjoy the hydrotherapy area. It was just great and we both had personal service the entire time. We used all the facilities, and as it was the low season, we were often alone in the sauna, steam room or jacuzzis. They offered cold clothes in the sauna and steam rooms, cold drinks and were ready with a towel whenever we emerged from any of the treatments. Heaven!!!

We had a measly 80 credits left after booking our spa treatments which we used to buy a bottle of wine at a restaurant. They agreed to give us the bottle unopened and we brought it home with us. I will say that the bottle, at 75 credits, was hideously overpriced as it can be purchased in Ontario for 10$! However, it used up credits that would have otherwise been unspent. We both encourage you to take advantage of the spa- it was the best part of our vacation!!!

Other
We took the free shuttle to the Playacar palace in Playa del Carmen one morning. It was convenient and a guide gave good advice to everyone during the trip there. However, we chose to take the ferry to Cozumel and visit the Cozumel Palace that day and we found this to be too time consuming given the time available. We arrived at Cozumel Palace at 11:30 and this was as soon as we could have made it, and we were obliged to leave by 1:30 in order to catch the afternoon shuttle back to ASP. This was not enough time to make the travel worthwhile. Furthermore, there is fire coral off the shore of Cozumel Palace and while snorkeling I discovered the hard way that it grows not only on rocks, but also on the rope delineating the swimming area. The lifeguard and on-site paramedic were very helpful in treating the stings it inflicted. My husband did see a dolphin riding the waves in front of a boat that was motoring past the resort so I suppose you might see one in the water if you are lucky! If you walk to the extreme south edge of the Cozumel Palace and look through the fence there is a Dolphin show just one lot down the coast that you can see from the Palace site.

We didn't really get the reception we had expected when we arrived. Though we were worried this might be a reflection of things to come, it was not. We were not offered a cold towel or drink and when we checked in we were told we could only have a room with two double beds unless we upgraded our room. We knew we wanted to spend the credits at the spa so we refused to upgrade. We both had the feeling that the guy who checked us in was a little sleazy though. Our porter took us to our room and said it was ridiculous that we have a room with two doubles. He called the front desk and arranged a room with a king size bed pronto. He got a great tip from us ;-) Thank you Roger! Funnily enough, we met a woman later in the week who had had the opposite problem as she was traveling with a friend. She told us that the resort told her they only had 4 rooms with double beds on the ASP side! Why on earth had they offered us one of them then? Things did improve significantly after that little hurdle however. We met with our Palace representative who tried to encourage us to attend the VIP breakfast (timeshare presentation). We refused and were glad to have done so when we saw others have their first breakfast at the resort (a regular buffet breakfast, by the way) intruded upon by a salesperson the entire time. We did ask that representative to arrange for us to be notified when the baby turtles were being released from the Cancun area Palace resorts (part of the Palace eco-initiatives that we wanted to see) but he never followed through, which was a disapointment for us.

We had intended to take a day to go to Xpu-Ha Palace just south of ASP to see the animal sanctuary on that site. However, on arrival they told us that Xpu-Ha Palace is no longer part of the Palace line of resorts. I note that it is no longer on the Palace website, but some sites are allowing you to book trips there starting in November 2011, so I'm not sure what is going on with it. That was too bad as we had been looking forward to seeing it.

We got takeout from the Sweets and Coffee shop in the ACP lobby before our transfer to the airport and therefore were able to have decent food while waiting for our flight home. They offer both sandwiches and desserts. The Sweets and Coffee shop also makes Cappucino Frappes which are delicious!

The room had minibar and liquor dispensor but we used them only very rarely. The hotel did accomodate our request for 4 bottles of water a day. Biosilk products were available in the shower but regular products were provided when the Biosilk ran out. The jacuzzi in the room was nice, but it does take awhile to fill it! We had two lightbulbs burnt out in our room - halogens on the ceiling, but it didn't really bother us.

We had an absolutely wonderful time. As I said, the best part was the resort credits to use at the spa. I would not use them for anything else!

Room Tip: Talk to your porter if you don't get the room you expect!
Cocoa, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Heavenly, would be an understatement. I have now had the pleasure to visit several Palace Resorts.. & this one in my book takes 1st place in everyway!! The spa was beyond my widest Dreams! I loved getting an hr before for hydrotherapy ( the swedish showers were very cool, & the jacuzzi's as well. The Spa is a Heaven for every one of your senses.. the waterfalls, & statues, the beautiful aromas.. I felt totally renewed! Irene with the Samuprai massage was my favorite ( out of the $745.00 credit I spent with the Spa)
My husband & I loved the Rose petals Omar set up for us on the bed & in the Jacuzzi- ( Thank you Omar!! The staff at the Italian Rest- were absolutley incredible- Pamela, Carlos & Isreal gave us such a special night.
The Room= We also used our credit to upgrade the rm to Ocean view, but we also had a garden in front ( that we loved) because every morning & night there were beautiful birds with amazing bird calls, so we felt like it was the best of both worlds.
WildLIFE= We also saw monkeys by the front entrance ( wild in the trees) several big hamster things, tons of birds, various beautiful fish, crabs, & lobster in the lagoon.
We loved to swing on the hammock underneath the stars while listening to the waves hit against the rocks.
THE FOOD= ALWAYS Fresh, always great service, & the best quality.
I could write forever! My only complaint is that we left this beautiful Resort to try Playacar!!
BTW- Although there is no Real Beach here this is a beautiful lagoon, & there is the most beautiful UNCROWDED beach called Akumal ( 15min by taxi) The ruins are also very close to here. You won't find a better promo anywhere else, trust me I looked for months, & I'm so glad we came here! Can't wait to come back!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Excellent service. Beautiful pool. The guided tour of Tulum was fun and the spa services professional and clean. Our room was beautiful and well-kept. The food exceeded our expectations. The a la carte offerings at all of the restaurants we visited were excellent. Our favorite restaurant was La Huerte (we ate there 3x in 7 days). Our waiter each visit was Jorge, a very personable and friendly gentleman who managed to raise the bar with his service each visit. The deserts were epic. Elisio, the manager at La Huerte and the asian restaurant, was warm and exceptional. We hope to return soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We just got back from our 10 day honeymoon at the Spa palace resort and we could not write enough fantastic things about the hotel and hospitality! Everyone goes out of there way to make everything extremely special and personal, from bartenders to the housekeepers. We don't speak any Spanish, but majority of everyone at the hotel and tourist spots spoke English. I was disappointed there was no beach access, but after spending the afternoon at the Playa resort on the beach, I realized that I wasn't missing much. Instead this hotel offers an incredible lagoon to swim in without the current of the ocean. You can snorkel with all the colorful fish and finish off in one of the beautiful pools. I had the Mayan chocolate body wrap, probably the best experience in my life!!! The spa is incredible!!!! Highly recommend this place, we were able to use all of our hotel credits without a problem. We would like to acknowledge a few people who made our experience even better, Irving (bartender), Jorge Paz ( waiter at La Huerta), Miguel wine specialist), Leyde (server at La Huerta), Alberto (pool bartender), activity staff at the pool, and Aldo (bartender). Thanks for everything!!!

Room Tip: upgrade to conceirge level!
Norristown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace from August 3-10, 2011 as guests for a destination wedding.

Overall, we were very pleased with the resort. The staff was very professional and helpful. Every time we asked for something, they responded with "It would be my pleasure." The resort is very large. We actually didn't even get to see all of it in the 7 days we were there. They do "monkey tours" in the jungle area of the resort. So, if you get a chance, do it. It's neat to see the monkeys in their natural habitat. Even though it's all-inclusive, we brought about $60 in one dollar bills for tipping. One dollar goes a long way in Mexico and the workers were very appreciative when receiving tips. And, take a couple minutes to walk the "Fitness Trail." Even if you don't do all the fitness activities, it's nice to just walk through the jungle and hear the iguanas running around you. However, this is not a resort you go to for a nice beach. It's the resort that specializes in Spa treatments! You can however, take a shuttle to any of their other resorts for free. We spent a day at the Playacar Palace which had that white powdery beach with crystal clear water and great/cheap shopping within walking distance. So, if you get the chance, do that for a day.

The food was decent. Although, we are not picky eaters. We pretty much liked everything we ate. However, if you have never been out-of the United States, you have to understand that the food might taste just a little different (especially the meat). We loved the self-serve nachos and guacamole station next to the pool. And, the juice bar next to the indoor pool area. Our favorite restaurant was the mexican restaurant on the Cove side called, La Hacienda. Ask for the Mayan coffee after dinner (if you don't know what it is, youtube it)! Also, the Melted Cheese appetizer is pure awesomeness! And, the fresh tableside guacamole was great. Although, I would not recommend to get tequilla in it. It ruins the taste. We also like the Italian restaurant on the Spa side. We wanted to eat outside on the patio. But, the hostess warned us that service was slow out there b/c there were a lot of people eating outside and only one server. So, we sat inside, which was fine. Service was a little slower in this restaurant. But, hey...we were on vacation and had nowhere to go. So, who cares? Beware of the bottles of wine they have placed on the tables in the restaurants. There is an extra charge for these bottles. We were NOT informed of that before opening one and then they wanted to charge us $95 for it! However, after being firm/persistent, they did not make us pay for it. It is one thing if we knew there was a charge and agreed to it. But, we were not informed until after we started drinking the wine. So, just be mindful about that.

We LOVED the $1500 vacation dollars promotion! We spent it all mostly on Spa services. We each had 3 massages. I also had a deluxe pedicure, which was pretty much just an expensive pedicure. It was nice, but, my polish chipped the next day. I had to re-paint my nails myself. Had I spent my own money on the pedicure I would have felt like I was cheated. It really was just a regular pedicure. Nothing deluxe about it. But, again I had vacation dollars to spend. I heard from one of the workers in the spa that this Palace resort is the only resort allowing all $1500 vacation dollars to be spent all in the Spa. And, in all the 5 years that she worked there, she had never seen a promotion like this one. I also had a Nutritive Scalp Treatment the last day I was there. I HIGHLY recommend this service. Especially if you only have a couple extra vacation dollars to spend and/or your scalp gets sun-burned while you're there. It was basically a half-hour scalp massage. Very nice and relaxing. I almost fell asleep. But, keep in mind you will walk away with wet hair. The lady did braid my hair for me. It looked really cute. Overall, the spa was my favorite place. Go about an hour earlier than your appt time to do the "hydrotherapy." You won't be disappointed!

The rooms were nice. Bed was a little hard. The central air does not keep the room that cold, though. It was a little on the warm-side for us. It feels cold when you first walk in, then it gets warm. They do provide you with a very generous sized bottle of hand/body moisturizer, as well as, shampoo and conditioner, that will definitely last you the week or longer. So, there is really no need to bring your own. They will also provide you with any toiletries that you might have forgotten. So, don't worry if you left your toothbrush at home. The jetted bathtub is nice. Just be careful to read the directions before operating it. You HAVE to wait until the water is ABOVE the jets to turn the jets on or you WILL spray water all over the room! And, if you use bubble bath, use it sparingly. A little goes a long way! We also did a load of laundry in the tub one day. We brought a little tide and threw our bathing suits and some other small items in the tub and let them bubble around from awhile. Room service is a little unreliable sometimes. We received food one day that we didn't even order. Then, the day that we did order breakfast, it didn't show up. But, the food was good. My husband's birthday happened to fall on one of the days we were there. I requested at the Public Relations desk to have a bottle of Champagne and a cake delivered to our room that night. It never came. However, we weren't in the room that much that night. I assumed they would have left it in the room for us. But, maybe they needed us to be there for it? The safe in the room easily held my husband's 15 inch Dell laptop plus all of our documents/valuables with plenty of room leftover. I'm sure a bigger laptop would fit, as well. The dresser space seems small when you enter, but, it easily held all of our clothes for the week we were there. They also provide you with about 6 hangers for your clothes you want to hang in the closet. So, if you need more, just bring them. Also, leave a dollar tip each day for the maid and she/he will leave towel art for you (i.e. animals made out of towels).

The pool is small for the size of the resort. But, the resort was definitely not at full capacity. So, there was plenty of space in the pool. If you want a lounge chair around the main pool, get there early and reserve. Be careful of the jetted tub area of the pool. The cement is rough and both my husband and I scrapped our knees in there. They provide some pool activities throughout the day. They can be loud and annoying sometimes. But, you can easily escape to the lagoon or the cross-circulation pool over by the yoga hut. The indoor pool is very cool. Which was nice b/c one day I felt like I was overheating. I went for a dip in there and felt much better. Pool bar service was fast. And, the banana monkey drink ROCKS (if you like the taste of bananas)! You can bring your own insulated cups and they will happily fill them with your drink of choice. They do not, however, provide rafts for the pool. So, if you want a raft to float on, bring your own inflatable one.

The lagoon is nice. The water is refreshing with pockets of cooler and warmer water as you swim. The fish circle you sometimes looking for handouts. So, that can be a little freaky. You can get to see some pretty fish near the rock walls. So, bring an underwater camera. But, be careful to not touch the rock walls. One person in our group put her foot on the wall and got stung by a sea urchin and had to get a shot/antibiotics for it. My husband did the kayaking and enjoyed it. It was his first time and it was easy to do.

Ok, I could probably write more. But, I think I've said enough. Overall, we liked our stay. It was perfect for a destination wedding. And, we would recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!