“Capatin Ricks - The truth” 5 of 5 stars

+52 984 873 5195
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Capt. Rick's Sportsfishing has 15 boats to choose from...from a 48' Viking to a 31' Bertram. The captains are English speaking and have at least 10 years experience fishing these grounds. All the fishing is done trolling dead baits using 20 to 30 lb. Shimano or Penn gear. Many of our boats also have a fighting chair. Two of our Captains are also experts at fly fishing, in which case you must provide your own gear. Of course, all billfish are released. Every year there are double digit grand slams (a sailfish, white and blue marlin in one day) and sometimes there are double grand slams (two slams in one day) and super grand slams (add a swordfish.) Other abundant fish are: wahoo, dorado, tuna, kingfish, and barracuda. Best of all - we set our baits right as we exit the marina! No travel time. We have caught sails so close we have released them in the marina.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Capatin Ricks - The truth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been trying for 11 years to catch a Sailfish. each time I go I got the old 'its the wrong time of year' - 'you should have been here yesterday' all the same excuses I use myself when out fishing.
I got close last year in Baja but my pain was eased there by a brace of Striped Marlin - but alas no Sail.
This year i ummed and arred about who to go with, should I do it myself, should I share a boat, who is catching, who is not. Anyway, albeit it a little belatedly I made contact with the Capt Ricks office to enquire about the fishing, what Captains are available all the usual things that I have asked before and expected the same very positive answers you get before you pay out your Dollar.
I was pleasantly surprised to receive very quick and what turned out to be very accurate information about what my chances would be, what options I had and how much everything would cost.
My decision was to pay what I thought would be the additional few Dollars to get a recognized outfit who had a number of boats and so it would be in their interests to share the info on where the productive areas would be and what was the best method at the time to catch.
I phoned the company on arrival in Mexico and sorted the transfer. They modified the set off time as I see an early start as being an advantage. The transport was at the hotel early, told us (me and the wife) how long it would take to get to the Marina and what the fishing was likely to be.
At the office we were given a full induction on what to expect, how the day was going to be planned, we were introduced to the Captain and his two mates and made to feel very comfortable. I was told that the Sailfish bite wasn't the best at the moment but that a few had been seen and that conditions were good.
We booked for 8 hours and set off at 7am as planned.
By 7.20 the lines were out and we were fishing, I was a little worried as I thought we would be motoring a few miles offshore to get to the Southern fishing grounds. At 07.40 we had our first bite, a wahoo which bit the tail off the bait within a split second. Not long after that we continued to troll along the coast within site of the shore. I wondered if this would be 'another one of those days', I needn't have worried, The clip on the outrigger shot off and it was identified within a couple of seconds by the Captain as a Sailfish and so it proved, a 60lb Sailfish to be exact.
They could have taken me in there and then and I would still have been happy, however the crew continued to fish and changed the fresh baits I would say approx every 10 mins. Some looked ok to me but they still changed them anyway.
My wife and I took it in turn to take the bites as they came. The next fish was a small Tuna to her, the one after that a larger Barracuda to me. Then she had a another fish on which suddenly started pulling hard then came in easy. When it got to the boat there was only the head of a Tuna left on the hook!
At about 13;00 the right hand (of six) rods registered a bite and the Captain said it was a White Marlin. A nuisance fish to me but he was very excited as they are rare at this time of year apparently. The Marlin jumped and actually fought harder than the sailfish although it was 10lb smaller. The Mates said I could fight it 'Mano mano' which I did and experience the whole thrill of the fight.
Apart from the 41/2 fish we landed we also had at least 6 other bites which believe me is a good result on a deep sea charter.
My advice is that its worth spending the cash on a recognized outfit whos business is in repeat custom and reviews like this one. The boat crews are Mayan and so don't communicate in perfect English but we mostly go to catch fish and they are as keen as you are for you to be successful so who cares if you dont get the full history lesson on the area. Us fishermen want fish in the boat not a pleasant chat on the Ocean.
I told the Captain that I was there to catch a Sailfish and that I only wanted to fish for Sailfish. A gamble as it could have turned into 8 hours of tedious watching of rod tops, bu it didn't.
I can only tell you what I found and that is that Glenna and the rest at Captain Ricks are honest and committed to making your trip a success and that is all we can ask, the rest is down to mother nature and the fish themselves.
A great day out, one of my best, and now I have the bragging rights instead of my wife.
By the way, the boat (Puffin) was clean, the rods, reels and line never looked likely to let us down and the food the mate prepared was very good and very appreciated.
Thank you to all those concerned, I am a very happy fisherman

Farnham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Beware! They sub contract. Some Captains are very good, some will con you and there is no knowing what you will get.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having been fishing in th carribean many times before I was keen to take my two kids! To share what can be an amazing trip. They will not go back. My criticisms are 1. that our boat had really poor equipment. Out of only 2 fish that my son, daughter and I hooked all day, both times the fish failed to land because the line snapped and once when the Mexican assistant tried to take the fish out of the water by pulling the fishing line directly out of the water with no net or a (forgotten name) to pull the fish out!! 2. The bait - the amount of fish you catch is directly affected by the bait. Our captain just cut up chunks of a fish from a fish he had caught previously. However if you fish with squid or baby sword fish and the captains BUY the best bait you will catch ten times more.
The sad thing is that they wasted 6 hours of one of our 7 days Mexico. What was supposed to be a dream turned into a boring nightmare. I ask you all to be very careful before booking, don't book through reps, go directly to the fishing companies, ask questions and get guarrantees on equipment and the BAIT. Even then Fishing is fishing, but without good equipment and the right bate, your trip is doomed from the start.

Visited July 2013
Glenna U, Manager at Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
You came in the office to complain yesterday right after the trip. I listened and offered you a free fishing trip any morning you wanted during your vacation. You said your daughter did not want to go again but you would like me to take out your son. He is scheduled for Sunday morning.

Let's talk about your trip. You signed up for three people on a shared trip. After I talked to you and you left the office I talked to the other people from your boat. Luckily one was fishing again that after noon and the other two came into the office to meet their transportation back to their hotel. They told me the fishing trip was fine. Fishing was a little slow yesterday but several fish were caught. They were not unhappy with the trip.

The biggest problem they saw was that your daughter was up top with the captain and was getting sick so you kept going up to check on her.

I don't understand your objection to the bait. We put bait on the boats everyday. Usually about 6 bags of 10 ballyhoo. These are used for trolling and bottom fishing. When you bottom fish you have to use cut bait. Also we use older bait for chum. Throwing it in the water brings in fish. I have never seen baby swordfish used as bait. Swordfish are pretty rare around here and no one would ever use it as bait. Maybe you are confusing the ballyhoo, fish about 8" to 12" long with a bill on them for baby swordfish? That is the bait that was on your boat.

No one else had problems with the equipment and I am disappointed that you accepted a free trip and still wrote this review. I hope your son does come back Sunday. I would like to see him get another fish.
Conneautville, PA
3 attraction reviews
“Big fish big tips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our Apple advisor told us that snacks would be provided for our trip. On arrival we were told otherwise by the staff. We were placed the Wild Bill with three total fishers, captain and 2 mates. We caught 5 total fish in 3.5 hours. I was the first to reel one in. My husband was attempting to take pictures of me. He was told to go back to the front of the boat. He was in no way in harms way or in the way of the crew. When the next fish was being reeled in I stayed under the canopy to take pictures. I went from one side of the boat to the other. The capital said "mujere you sit!" After that we just stayed sitting and took the best pictures we could.

Being fron the USA we are not accustomed to people that offer services asking for tips. The third fish to be reeled in was an estimated 6ft 75lb sailfish. As soon as they pulled to over the side the mates kept saying "big fish big tips" atleast 4 times. We found it rather tacky. The mates did allow us to all three get separate pictures with the amazing catch.

We paid for a 4 hour fishing trip. We were getting off the boat at 3.5 hours. I was not impressed by this. Right before we came in we saw two separate huge schools of tuna jumping out of the water.

After we got to the ock we had to ask for pictures with our remaining fish. Only after we asked they quickly cut up the two Bonita tuna for us. We were taken to the local restaurant for them to cook it for us. We were told when booking that we would have time for lunch. After we got to the resturant I went to the office and told them the plan. They said it would not be possible because we only had 5 minutes before the transportation was leaving for the hotel. They did wait for us because there were others on the bus that were not ready either. $15 for them to cook the fish and give us a cup of rice and a few vegetables was a bit over priced but well worth the it. The fish was prepared perfectly.

I would fish with the company again. Now that I know I cannot stand to take pictures I am sure it will be less stressful. I am not sure how to fix the time on the water that we did not get. Because we would have missed our shuttle. More time should be scheduled after returning to the docks before leaving. 7am-4pm was a long time to go without a real meal.

Manalapan, New Jersey
“Excellent Company!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and son had an amazing time with Captain Ricks! The captain and staff did a wonderful job, and the best part was my son caught a 7 lb. snapper. They brought it back to our resort and I had it for dinner-best snapper I've ever eaten. If you're ever want to fish while on vacation, book Captain Rick's!

Visited August 2012
San Diego
3 attraction reviews
“No fish, but good service except for one bad apple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Down for vacation in the Yucatan and decided to spend 1/2 a day fishing. The day didn't start out great. Upon arrival listened to the staff presentation at the office, then set off for the boats. I have a bad leg so I didn't keep up well with the group and, upon arriving at the marina, just followed the last guy onto the boat and we got underway. About 10 minutes out the captain gets a phone call and comes over and asks my name. he tells me i'm on the wrong boat. I tell him I didn't know and I just followed the last guy. I didn't even know there was more than one boat. He starts yelling at me and says we have to go back. OK. Sorry I tell him. As we head back I tell him Lo siento over and over, but he isn't having it and i understand enough spanish to hear the stuff he is telling the crew about me. Finally I have had enough. I screwed up and I respect the job of the captain and the hard work he and the Mexican crews do, but I said I was contritely, really sorry a dozen times. I am only gonna apologize so may times for an honest mistake to some barefoot dinghy jockey and I start to get pissed off. One of the crew saw I was going to lose it and took me to the back where we were just pulling up to the pier so I could switch boats.
After that the day was ruined. The second crew was amazing; friendly, helpful and really cool. Not a lot of fish tho. We caught only one. I think the fishing in Yucatan is seasonal, and rather than shutting down the off months, the boats keep going out and sometimes they catch the rare fish. One of the other fishermen told me it was his second day without even a bite. No big deal - it was only $100 and a few hours, but the first captain really set me off, to the point where I looked for him after we got back in so I could tell him to go **** himself, but he was nowhere to be found. So Capt mikes was just ok. Doubt I wold use them again, they are a the same distance from my hotel as the Cancun outfits, and I wouldn't want to play hit or miss again with the attitude of their employees.

Visited July 2013
Glenna U, Manager at Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am sorry that you ended up in the back of the line and did not hear your name called when we took guests down to the boat on the day of your fishing trip. Unfortunately we did not notice that you weren't able to keep up. We should have paid more attention to that and taken you down to the boat by golf cart.

The kind of funny thing that you missed was what else was happening on the first boat you got on. When we noticed that you were missing from the correct boat we started calling the boats to see where you were. We called the boat you were on but did not get an answer the first time. The captain did answer the second time and we had him bring you back. It seems that there was a passenger up top talking to the captain. He kept pointing and yelling but the captain did not know what he wanted because he was speaking Chinese. All the other guests that day on the boat were Chinese but some had English as their second language. With help from one of the other guests we got that the first guy was mad because we let a stow away on his boat. The captain was taking it from all sides and that is why you think he was angry.

I am happy that the second crew was nicer. They were trying to make up for the confusion.

There are seasons for fishing and July is usually a good one. However, sometimes the fish don't read the calendar and they just don't want to bite. I wish it was better for you that day.