“Above Average for All Inclusive, but I've stayed at better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 72, Carretera Cancun-Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Cove Palace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
35% OFF + KIDS STAY FREE
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Houston, TX
“Above Average for All Inclusive, but I've stayed at better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We arrived and were greatly promptly, our accommodations were ready early & were exactly as advertised: Nice view, 2 patios (one downstairs, one up), mini bar (fully stocked). The air conditioner worked great (pet pev, I like it cold)
- You can tell they are still transitioning from Palace to Hard Rock, which we understood when making the reservations, but it was very obvious.
- Food: Zen, Italian, Brazilian & French restaurants were good. Buffett & Snack bar were average. The steakhouse was not so good.
- Service: well....I guess this is relative but kinda slow poolside (under staffed) & the resort was 50% full. Cocktail servers in club & lobby bar were great. You could tell it was slow for the staff. We are always treated well because we TIP & you should too....I don't care what they say, everyone should tip.
Selling: So, everyday someone called our room trying to sell us a "membership".... No thank you. Not because we weren't enjoying ourselves, because we never stay in the same place twice. That was annoying.
Beach: there is not really "beach" there are these nice lagoons to swim in the ocean water but it's not really a beach.
Overall: It was a nice vacation. Not our best experience but average.

• Stayed June 2014
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hi BacioVacations,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate your feedback since it helps us to know where we are in terms of service and also it encourages us to keep working hard to achieve your satisfaction.
I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our rooms and facilities and thank you for highlighting our restaurants however, on behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to extend our heartfelt apologies for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your stay.
We hope you can give us back again the opportunity to host you in the near future so you can experience the Rock Star treatment that all of our customers are accustomed to.

1,325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Tulum
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Average at best. Newly remodeled but lacking attention to detail. We were there in January to visit hotel and remodel was not complete so we were concerned about completion. hotel was complete however it was lacking in several areas. windows were dirty, bed was hard but internet/wifi was great. its an hour from airport. it was a good value for what we paid just expected more being newly remodeled. gym equipment was very dated and I used it daily. pools were great and entertainment at pool was exceptional.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Hello Larry C,

I would like to thank you for letting us know your experience at our hotel. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya I would like to extend our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenient you may have experienced during your visit last January. It has been a while since the last time you visited us and we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and show you all the improvements we have made since then and experience the Rock Star treatment that all of our guests are accustomed to. Should you decide to come back please let us know in advance so we can ensure you get the best possible stay.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed about a week at the Hard Rock, towards the end of May, 2014. We visited this location in the past when it was a Aventuras Spa Palace and we had a lot of fun with the other couples we met so we figured we would have a blast again.

To start, the lobby and nicely decorated and the staff greeting us from our private transport was very friendly (private transport was only $40 more and saved hours of dropping off others at different resorts). The check in process was quick and easy. We stayed at the adults only, Hacienda side. Our room over looked the pool near the steak house, only a few back from the ocean, on the third floor. The room itself was nice with a modern decor. This room also had a second floor terrace with a jacuzzi on the roof. Some may have enjoyed this feature but we did not use the second floor area at all. In my opinion, save the money and opt for a second room suite with no jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and the balcony hammock was very nice after a long day in the sun. The one negative about the room was a moldy smell from the ac. This was probably due to how cold we kept the room vs outside temperatures.

The ground overall were fairly nice but you could tell that most of the gardens and trees were fairly recently planted. There were a few trenches dug around the property but I'm sure this is just a part of the grand opening remodeling.

The main thing I noticed was that it was a ghost town. There were very few people at the resort. Restaurants were not crowded at all and the wait staff was very quick because of this. This may very from month to month but we enjoyed the quiet beach across from the steak house. Now the main reason we we would come back to this lactation and not another in the area would be waiter.
Mercial or Marcial was his name (sorry for misspelling it). He was always very friendly and you could tell he was a genuinely nice person. There is a difference from friendly because that is what you are paid to do and being friendly because that's who you are. People like this are the ones who make a vacation special and pleasant. He also had some great virgin drink recommendations for the newly pregnant wife.

Lastly, the food. The hibachi was decent but overall, the food was mediocre. This is to be expected at most, if not all, all-inclusive-resorts. We did however opt for a surf and turf dinner on the beach which was good but the steaks were or lesser quality. No real complaints or horror stories since we we knew what to expect from all-inclusive restaurants.

Almost forgot about the spa. We used most of our credit on the spa. I am admittedly weird and do not like massages but do throughout enjoy the facilities. My wife loved her hours of messages and facials but I loved drinking chlorophyll water and swapping the steam room and multi-temp jacuzzis.

Your credit is an 80% discount off the list price! not a full credit. It still comes to about half of what we would normally pay for an hour massage, so not that bad of a deal. The gift shop is over priced. My wife needed a higher SPF and it was $25 for a small bottle. They do however have some free although Lowe SPF at the towel stand.

Overall, for what we paid, the Hard Rock was a decent deal (also stayed at the Hard Rock in the DR). I'm sure that we will return and your should check it out if your looking go to Mexico and have a relaxing trip.

Room Tip: Go for second floor and as close the the ocean as possible. The family side actually had a lot more...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Jebritt3099,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. I am glad to hear that overall you have enjoyed a wonderful time at our resort and that you and your wife received such a highly attentive service from our staff.
Thank you very much for mentioning Marcial whose genuine hospitality and friendliness have made your vacation a pleasant experience; I will let him know you thought he made the difference.
I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your stay. We will pay greater attention to the topics you have brought to our attention in order to improve our services and surprise you next time you visit us.
We look forward to your next visit.

League City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was one of our favorite places when it was Aventura Spa Palace, but now as a Hard Rock, we aren't so sure we want to go back to this particular location. If you go to the Hard Rock without ever knowing what Aventura was like, then you will probably love it. The service from all waitstaff is still great, especially around the pool. The spa staff was nice as always. The food was good, and there were plenty of options. Because of reduced occupancy due to construction and perhaps the clientele partying it up into the wee hours, we never had a problem choosing where we wanted to lounge around the pool. In the past, those chairs would all be reserved by 8 a.m., but most people didn't bother to come out until lunch time or later. As for some of the things we didn't like... the music choices by the pool were awful. Lots of techno/hip hop type music with only a little rock played every now and then. The two local bands that came by to play a little were a welcome change. We moved to the far end of the pool after a couple of days because we just couldn't take the noise and activity level. Lots of construction noise going on. I was shocked when, in the middle of my relaxing massage, the construction noise drowned out the music and shook the room - over and over again. I was surprised when the lawn maintenance occurred in the middle of the day. All of the dust/grass from the blower kept blowing in my face and sticking to my skin while I was trying to relax by the pool. Our room wasn't special - you had to walk out onto the balcony and stretch your neck to see the ocean. As Palace Premier members, we thought we would get a better view. The bed was hard as a rock - they shouldn't take the hotel name so literally - and my husband and I both awoke every morning with terrible back pain. The decor of the room made it kind of dark and depressing, so we never wanted to be in the room during the day - only at night to sleep. We did see a huge cockroach and spider on our floor, but the fact that they were dead was a good sign. I understand tropical locations are going to have insects and such. The late-night club ensures that you will have drunks coming in at 2:00 a.m., and they always choose to stand outside their rooms and let their drunken conversations amplify down the corridor. Almost every single night! The resort credits are misleading. The prices are so escalated that by the time you pay the 20%, it is still more than what normal price would be in the U.S. Okay, enough. The place really isn't bad, but we were expecting the Aventura, and that's not what this is.

Room Tip: Get a room with a nice view of the ocean, preferably not on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello jbmcarr,

First and foremost thank you for sharing your opinion on Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us as it gives us valuable information of where we are in terms of service and facilities and it encourages us to work even harder to achieve every client’s satisfaction.
Our goal is to create authentic experiences that rock for all of our esteemed members and guests and that’s why we regret we have missed our mark in your case.
Please accept our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenient you may have experienced during your stay. I will share these comments with key people in our organization to ensure our incoming guests get Rock Star experience we strive to provide them.
Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention; we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in future vacations to Mexico.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is amazing, my first time to Mexico and have to say it was the best vacation I ever had. Every person working there were friendly and always delivered a drink or anything else you needed with a smile! The bartenders were great, especially Eduardo Velasco and Joes Jose Noh Cen and many more to many to name! So if you want to relax or have fun and enjoy every minute of your vacation then you should go here!

Room Tip: Get the room with an upper balcony and lower balcony,
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi there cpw62,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at our hotel. I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your first time in Mexico and that you found at our property the perfect place for a dreamed Rock n’ Roll vacation.
Thank you also for mentioning the names of Eduardo Velasco and José Noh, great guys who among so many others went out of their way to make you feel like a Rock Star. Thank you for recommending us so highly. We hope to welcome you back again very soon and spoil you like a Celebrity at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was a nice vacation. The weather was beautiful, the staff was always friendly (although they often had to refer to someone else to verify any information). The room are comfortable. There were tiny ants in our room and in my sister's room. She had them spray, and said the fumes were more obnoxious than the ants. This is an outdoors friendly location and sometimes ants happen. No other insect problems in the room, and they were kept very clean. This is an all-inclusive resort, which is nice. The food was good. Standouts for us were the Frieda Mexican restaurant and the Italian restaurant (in Heaven, adults only). The Brazilian meat-fest was fun, but a little too much - and the Spanish Tapas was ok. Most of the other food was average. This is a great place to hang out by the pool or the cove. If you want to get in the ocean, you may prefer the Cancun location - the surf is too rough to go down to the ocean here and they have access blocked off.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Nuala S,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our resort; your review confirms our commitment to create authentic experiences that rock for every guest.
It has been a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future so we can spoil you like a Rock Star at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just back from Riviera Maya Hard Rock. I was the organizer of a group of 35 for my son's wedding. Pros: Last month I was with a group of 15 at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana for my daughters 30th b-day and the Riviera Maya was a much better resort.It is a fun place but you need to enjoy music, alcohol, dancing and the beach! The staff was really great especially Ivan and Sergio. They all tried their best to please although there was very little follow through on their efforts. The food was good for an all-inclusive (and Ive been to 10-12 of them), the drinks were not too light and the rooms were spacious and clean. We stayed on the adult side (Heaven) and it was really an upbeat adult party. The night club was great! Lots of music and fun.
Cons: Can you imagine after the wedding was over the bride (in a full wedding gown) had to walk across this huge resort in 90 degree weather because they could not get organized enough to find a golf cart? The wedding planner disappeared so we kept asking anyone we could find for help but after waiting 30 minutes she just decided to walk. By the time she got back to her room she looked as if she went in the pool. Good thing she is a good sport! Although the wedding itself was great but the attention to detail got lost in the translation somehow.
Although I basically sponsored the wedding it took me from noon to 6pm to get a room when we arrived and that would not of happened if it was not for Ivan stepping up to help out. Everyone smiles and are nice, but no help. Actually the same thing happened in Punta Cana to me. Could just be me?
I was also asked to leave the Italian restaurant when I went in with shorts for dinner. I realize that is their program, but at 90 degrees, on the beach etc ... what's the deal?

Transportation back and forth is also a bit of a hassle. We were set up with Olympus from my Travel Agent. We had to keep going to the family side to follow up on it because they seemed to only be there a few hours each day and in the middle of the day when your usually trying to have fun. Not a real customer friendly process?

Overall both Hard Rock's were fun, but not near as efficient as a Marriott/Ritz etc...so dont expect it.You can expect lots of loud music and dancing so if that's more important then basic efficiency then this is your place.

I was considering going back in July to the family side, but still not sure? Maybe back to the Ritz in Cancun?

Room Tip: Dont have high expectations of the overall service and processes. Just enjoy the ride!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
René M, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello Brian S,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, your review is truly appreciated since it helps us to know where we are in terms of service and facilities and it encourages all of us to continue working hard to achieve your satisfaction.
We love receiving feedback when our staff members provided a service that rocked your stay; so I would like to thank you for mentioning the outstanding job that Ivan and Sergio did to make your stay more enjoyable.
On the other hand I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for any inconvenient you may have experienced during your visit. I will share your comments with key people in our organization in order to improve our services to ensure our upcoming guests receive the Rock Star treatment they deserve.
Thanks again for bringing these matters to my attention. We hope to welcome you back again in the future and provide you with an extraordinary stay at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. Cordially,

Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!