“Excellent Spa Resort, Great Service, Good Food, lacks a decent beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 72, Carretera Cancun-Chetumal | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Cove Palace)   |
Suite Deal 50% off
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Spa Resort, Great Service, Good Food, lacks a decent beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

A little about me, I am in my mid thirties traveling with my spouse and 4 other couples of the same age range. I have travelled the world from Asia, Europe and central America, stayed in a multitude of hotels from 3 to 5 star and ultra luxury hotels. This is my forth visit to the Riviera Maya area and my 8th trip to Mexico. I have stayed at Riu, Bahia Principe, Barcelo, Palladium properties and a recent stay at the Iberostar Quetzal Tucan in 2011. I always try to budget an all inclusive getaway per year keeping in mind my max is 1300-1400$ per person.

I would also like to remind reviewers that hotel ratings vary from country to country, from vacation providers and such. For example the European rating system only takes into account amenities offered on the resort whether there’s a mini bar, pool, spa etc determines the star level nothing else. Vacation providers use a similar rating system, taking in to account customer experience and profitability (they appear to favor hotels that give them a kick back). Furthermore big hotel chains such as Riu’s, Iberostar’s and Bahia Principe’s etc. offer different 5 star options at different price points remember the higher price points such as the Grand Hotels (Iberostar) Palace (Riu) etc. will give you newer hotel with more elaborate amenities and options. This by far was a true representation of a 5 start resort other than the beach.

Location: 5/5 15-20 min. safe taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen. The resort is located about 5 min from Puerto Aventuras Resort area 10 min to Akumal Beach (recommend). Travel time from the airport is about an hour depending on other stops. However during this trip we were the first ones off with subsequent scheduled stops to Barcelo, Grand Sirenis and Bahia Principe. Free shuttle service to Playacar Golf Course is available through the hotel twice a day 8h30 or 10h30 with a scheduled return at 15h10 and 16h10. You can walk to Playa Del Carmen about a 10 min walk from the Playacar Golf Course. I have read other reviewers saying it was in a bad area which is completely false the golf course is in the Playacar Resort area where the Riu, Iberostar, Wyndham among others are located many clients including myself walk this road many times it is very safe monitored by the Tourist police frequently. A nice plus during our stay was that the shuttle dropped us off at the Playacar Palace entrance and day passes are still available however it is unclear whether this option will be available once the name change happens.

Check-In: 4/5 We initially booked rooms on the cove side of the resort however upon arrival we were dropped off at the Spa end of the resort as the Cove lobby was closed due to our late arrival. We were advised that we were upgraded to partial ocean view rooms on the Spa side as we were all adults in our party. Checkin was quick however they failed to check us in for the entire 7 day stay which created an issue with the $1500 credits which was quickly rectified the following day. However, it still was a nuisance. No bracelets required throughout the resort which is a huge plus!

Beach 3/5: Despite being well aware that there was no beach or a man made beach prior to booking we remained optimistic and hoped the lagoon area was swimmable. Well it wasn’t the man made beach area has hard sand. When entering the lagoon you realize that there is algae at the bottom and do not want to swim further. I hope with the upgrades planned for the Hard Rock transition, they will add fresh sand on the beach area so that it could be used for sun bathing. There’s not much they could do about the lagoon. Not much to offer for snorkeling. On the plus side they still offer access to Playacar Palace which is a definite plus as the playacar beach is one of the best in the riviera. Hopefully the rumors of ceasing to offer this perk when the transition happens are false as this was the main reason why we decided to go ahead and book this hotel. Other alternatives in the area are the Puerto Aventuras Beach and Akumal Beach. The latter is about a 10 min ride at 13USD per way from the hotel. Akumal beach is beautiful offers great snorkeling with sea turtles, sting rays and a pretty good reef.

Grounds 5/5: Beautiful lush mature vegetation is located throughout the resort. Most restaurants are located beach side and ocean front. Waterfalls, fountains and all other expected amenities and decor you would expect from a 5 star resort and the associated wildlife.

Pools 5/5: There are 3-4 outdoor pools, and 2 indoor located in the spa area. Two huge free form pools the largest located in the Cove side which includes a pool bar, was empty throughout our stay as it was on the family side of the resort. The spa side free form pool features a pool side bar, 3-4 whirlpools, most adults congregate in this area as the activities music are located there. There’s a small current pool which is in a quiet area. Overall there is a place for everyone to find an area by the pool. No Towel cards which is a definite plus

Bars: 5/5: Top shelf drinks readily available pick your poison never had an issue with top shelf availability. Service was great. Wait staff around the pool and at the bars were great. Excellent service throughout. Not as much service pool side on the Cove side. As the area was empty.

Rooms 5/5: Linens, towels readily available and frequently changed. Amenities such as shampoo, soaps ect. restocked daily. Alcohol dispenser available, mini bar restocked daily, rooms cleaned thoroughly. The whirlpool tub does take a lot of room but is a nice feature we used it often. Hammock available on the balcony. Elevators available in every building. Room Service was quick, breakfast in bed available. Excellent!

Entertainment 5/5: Entertainment staff available throughout, lots of activities available, nightly shows are run of the mill resort shows. Activities included fun and group oriented poolside activities to sports oriented. Great Fitness Centre with Spin, Yoga etc. Live bands poolside on Mondays, music throughout mostly Rock due to the transition. Live rock, latin, piano performances in both central courtyards at the Cove and Spa. The Disco is in the Cove section needs to be renovated as it is showing it’s age. The conventions that were going on during the week we stayed there kept it hopping.

Food 5/5: Above par run of the mill resort hotel food with better choices than some never left hungry. Wait staff was excellent. Never had an issue with access to the A-la-cartes no reservation required the Italian was the most popular. Never eat at the buffet during the evenings as there a multitude of options available throughout. The lunch buffet was above par. Breakfast was OK. For those with children staying on the Cove side you will not have access to the 3 restaurants located on the Spa side as they are adults only which limits your selection however the options on the Cove side a very good.

Spa 5/5: As all know this is the highlight of the hotel. If staying on the Spa side you can use all 1500 of the credits towards Spa services. Book early as space is limited. We booked on our second day. Availability was a nuisance however we were able to schedule Deep Tissue, Hot Stone and couples massages which were all great. Facials, pedicures and wraps had good reviews. One in our party had used the spa credits for a wax and a haircut. Spa had a steam rooms and tubs etc. Excellent

Service 6/5: The strong point of this hotel Exceptional attentive staff from all points. Buffet and A la Carte service was excellent. Maid service excellent. Beach/Pool service excellent. Lobby bar service excellent. Service with a smile at all times. Waiters always talked and joked with patrons. The only hiccup was the credit issue but it was quickly corrected by guest services who hunted us down to tell us the issue was resolved.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, if not for the lack of a beach. The hotel would be an exceptional 5 star hotel should they have one. I will return if they continue to offer the access to the Playacar Palace as its a good alternative to having a beach on site. Don’t listen to the bad reviewers I find they are usually from Palace Time Share members that expect too much for what they paid for. I doubt the hotel will be offered at this price point once the conversion takes effect as the Punta Cana prices have shot up about 500 to 700 dollars when it converted so take advantage of the low pre conversion rate!

Room Tip: Side trip to beautiful Akumal Beach is great!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank CanSunSeeker
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
We would like to thank you for taking the time to send your review.
Our goal at Aventura Palace is to always provide the best stay possible and we are really glad to know the service provided by our staff was up to your expectations and that it helped making your stay at our resort a great experience.
We suggest visiting our official website in order to receive accurate and updated information regarding our resorts.
We are looking forward to host you again at any of our resorts in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I started the planning process for my wedding in February 2011, the wedding was to be set for Feb 2012 so I thought we were good, I began a series of phone calls and emails designed to tour resorts in the Playa del Carmen area in April. I sent multiple emails, multiple calls to the miami booking number, no response at all I finally sent an email to a rep that another bride on a blog I frequent had as a contact and managed to arrange the tour.

We settled on Aventura Cove Palace as we have 3 children that would attend with us. I tried to plan the wedding, multiple emails with no response again, no one would help, it was indicated that the planning process was to take place 60 prior to the wedding and not before, as I am a cancer patient I knew that was not an option for me and I pushed the envelope.

I eventually hired, photographers, an event planner who handled the Mayan Shaman for our ceremony and hair and makeup as I was not able to have my hair done with my children otherwise.

there were multiple changes in the wedding planner and I had to explain my needs 6 times, the last planner being Edith who to her credit tried really hard to make my day work well.

We arrived at the hotel at 11 in the morning on Jan 27 2012, there was a Herbalife convention arriving. After 3 hours of standing in the lobby of the cove trying to check in my family my friends and I were sent to the Spa lobby, our luggage was lost track of in the jump and the Spa was obviously not notified of us arriving.

I am a handicapped traveller as is my mother in law. There was a request in place for a ground floor room we were located on the third floor she was on the second floor, suggesting this wouldnt work got us told there were no other rooms, further they separated all of my guests everyone scattered all over both resorts, and there was no other option. I further had requested long prior to our arrival to be upgraded to a concierge or honeymoon suite upon our arrival, using some of our 5000 points to cover the additional cost. This never occured

Several of our guests were checked in and not given wrist bands, and for the first part of our stay those wrist bands were the only way to have access to the resort. My guests were denied help at every turn, as they had no proof of their stay, going back to the front desk entailed another lengthy wait as all of the people from herbalife were utilizing the resource.

Now dont get me wrong, conventions are a hotels bread and butter, but if you are marketing yourself as a spa, resort, convention center and wedding venue, you should in fact be set up to handle this. The response for everything that went wrong, we were not ready for having this many people on the grounds. This is in fact a company that is in the hospitality industry, I heard from more unsatisfied guests in my first three days there than you can imagine. At this point we did not complain or otherwise say much. We tend to roll with the punches and make the best of things. My guests were not happy and I felt responsible for having unhappy guests but we were there best to make it happy.

Keep in mind at this point in the story we have been there one day. A sad statement I know.

Day two we left the resort at 8 in the morning and returned at 10 at night. I had thought the wrist band issue would be resolved not so much we had a really hard time getting my dad and brother on the resort.

At this point I met Johan at the front desk, he was my hero, he handled the wrist band issue and cleared up the problems my guests were having at this point, he did indicate that with the cove so full with the convention there was nothing he could do for the rooms but the moment the convention was gone he would fix it.

Day three brought a whole host of its own complications. I am still on the third floor with any elevators unknown or unavailable, it is raining the room is leaking, the patio allowing the rain to cover the floor, and the security wont let the makeup artist I hired through the door. I paid the guest pass for her, but the information had not been sent to the security desk, she was detained for better than a half hour, leaving me wondering if she was attending, back up the stairs to my room I went, and glad I did as the security called the room to ask if I had indeed arranged for this. She arrived and my kids directed her to my room, I would not have been able to get there given that the initial walk tired me dramatically.

That evening all of my friends and family staying in the resort got together for Dinner at Mundaca, the steak house at Aventura Cove. My husband to be and I went to the restaurant at three and asked if there was room for us, they said yes, we arrived at 5:00, an hour prior to the opening, to be sure that we and our guests would get a table, we were, in fact, the first group seated in the restaurant. We sat there for 3 hours, we were served one drink, we went and got bread ourselves and made the best of it. The restaurant was obviously busy, tables were filled with Herbalife reps cheering loudly for this or that. When our waiter finally attended to our table we were informed that the restaurant was out of steak, we had the option of one kind of meat and chicken, there was no soup, no appetizers no mushrooms etc. My guests politely ordered what they were able to and I looked for a manager, I found Jesus and Jorge. Nice men they did the best they could for us providing us with a lovely desert in place of a lovely meal, and they promised me that my wedding would be better but a group like Herbalife had to take precedence. My opinion, no one group should take precedence in the hospitality industry but ok, at least my wedding would be perfect.

To their credit while the Herbalife group was there, a pizza oven was in operation at the pool with the most amazing home made pizza you have ever eaten, once the group left that an a number of other amenities were gone.

We spent the spent day four in Playa and avoided the resort, the morning of the wedding brought more rain.

February 1, 2012. We were asked if we received our welcome champagne, nope, asked if we received chocolate covered strawberries nope, just not there. Again the patio doors are leaking like crazy an entire suitcase of clothes is wet, but its my wedding day, no hard feelings. Again the makeup artist was detained at the gate, but we got through it, the photographers arrived and I was ready to go. I had a Mayan ceremony and Edith the wedding planner was supposed to pick up my husband to be and I up for a private moment prior to the wedding and then collect me at 3:45 for the wedding to commence at 4:00, no one ever arrived - at the ceremony my husband to be was asked if we had our moment and he said we just figured it was a loss and my photographer went and got Edith and Nancy who had my carriage prepared for me, I was a half hour late but its ok they cant exactly start without me. I attributed this to a miscommunication

The ceremony was perfect the cocktails were perfect and the fireshow was perfect, and Edith was there every moment. Then the dinner.

Dinner was set for the terrace of the Mundaca steak house, the set up was lovely, the cake while not exactly what I was looking for was pretty. We sat down to dinner and the service was attentive. So far so good, We all placed our meal orders salads arrived etc things were moving smoothly, Edith had to go, (turns out she was decorating our room in the most amazing way. Flower petals bubble bath towel sculptures the whole bit, to be honest this went a long way for me) The main course arrived at the table, three people did not get their orders, in fact they were orders that never made it to the kitchen, 4 people received their steaks not to their liking, mine for example was not a t-bone which I had ordered and was blue rare, I only ever order and eat steak that is well done with no pink, in fact I specify that my preference is leather. When everyone else was done eating two of the three people who never received their meals were brought their meals, one never was fed. As an aside, the staff is amazingly nice, they were very apologetic for the mix up, and I have to say that it is very hard to stay angry with people who so genuinely want to make things better, but again in the hospitality industry how does my group seem to get hit so bad.

Turns out it was not just my group another group of people that night were discussing their visit, two gentlemen who had travelled together to be put in a room with two beds were given a room with only one king bed for 4 of the 7 days of their vacation, when asked why they are not happy with their room they were very clear, they are not gay! they had to share a bed in a room for more than half their vacation. More people were discussing the issues with the Herbalife group than you can imagine, but they are gone now so things should be better. They are not.

After getting back to the room and finding the lovely decorations and full bubble bath we turned on the jets and were about to get into the tub when we noticed the jets were filthy. The jets were spewing brown and black chunks of I don’t know what into the bath water, scratch the bath have a shower and into bed. Note we never had our toilette paper replenished in the room, and called down to the front desk to notify them, we were completely out of toilette paper in that room until 2 in the afternoon the next day.

Honeymoon breakfast arrived and was good they eggs were rather runny but what can you do, turns out that they finally have rooms for us to move to but our guests leave tomorrow we will fix it when they go so that we don’t loose time with our guests.

I had booked a spa service the first day we arrived, I knew that I would be sore after the wedding and thought a deep tissue massage would be great. I had booked it through the arrangements counter in the lobby and planned to use our points at the hotel to pay for it, I had a paper arranging it and it should have been done. I arrived at the spa and was told there was no record of the service being booked. I was upset, they suggested trying to book for another time in the day. Ok, return to the cove, go to my room and call reservations, I was told there was nothing available until Sunday this was Thursday. At this point I became agitated and asked to speak to the general manager of the facility. I was declined his name or contact information and was directed to public relations, again I was not given the name of the manager of Public Relations but was directed to Elias who has a higher level of Public Relations. Elias apologized for my inconveniences promised that we would be moved to a nice room on Saturday, on the ground floor in a building closer to the hotel services reducing the amount of walking I was doing. He further arranged for me to have my massage at 4pm, we had plans to go to Cozumel that afternoon, I cancelled the plans and stayed at the resort to have the massage as I was hurting rather badly and the service would ease my discomfort

When we returned to the room after being at the pool for a bit prior to going to the spa, we found that room service had taken a part of my wedding gown thinking it was a napkin that came with breakfast.

At this point I called Edith the only person I felt that could fix some of these things and laid on the bed and cried. None of my guests were happy, they all had many many issues that you just cant apologize for, my wedding was a comedy of errors and now part of my wedding gown was gone. I had photos that were very expensive planned for the next day. They found the dress panel in the laundry and returned it to me, I had my spa service which was very good and I tried to calm down. The resort indicated that they would pay for the cleaning of my wedding gown as an apology

My 12 year old daughter had left her 64 gig ipod touch on the bed of the room in the hotel. I don’t think the ipod was stollen, but I do think it was in the bedding and taken with the dirty bedding to the laundry.

I could not get anyone to provide me with any information about the ipod they indicated they would have the laundry searched for and notify us of what is or isn,t found. To date we have no information the day we were leaving we tried to get that information but there were no public relations people around. Further the gps on find my ipod indicates it is in the Aventura area.

That evening we had dinner at la hacienda, I have to say that in my memory that was going to be the wedding dinner for my wedding it was perfectly planned executed and fun for my guests the Mayan coffee being the highlight

The following day we said goodbye to most of our guests and went to dive a cenotes in an underground cavern. My dress was muddy as heck, so that evening I went to the front desk knowing that we were moving rooms in the morning and requesting the new room number for the laundry and was told to just put it together with a laundry tag and leave it in the room, they will find my new room. Keep in mind I was told several days prior to this that a nice room on the ground floor would be chosen for me. Apparently not, I was that evening requested to view rooms to choose from in the morning.

Further the last of my guests were checking out the next day. Their pick up time from the resort was 9pm. It was indicated that even though the resort was now almost empty they had to check out at noon. The front desk offered to do her a “great favor” and allow her to stay in her room until three with no charge. Three is the normal time for check out as listed on all of the information the hotel puts out. The time frame was extended to 5pm in an effect to mollify my disgust with this entire situation, and further extended to 8 when I simply lost my temper and requested to speak to public relations.

The following morning the front desk had no clue what I was talking about when I went to “see” the rooms they were planning to show me, my thinking was all of the rooms are identical. We had already been declined to move to concierge or Honeymoon, none of the promised amenities had been provided to us, in fact on almost every avenue the ball was dropped by this facility.

I sent my family on a prepaid excursion to Xplor, this is a loss of 169.00 USD to my family, I stayed behind to “view” the room. at 11:00 they told me my room was ready, there was no viewing, and no opinion needed, I moved with my luggage to the room. All but one light was burnt out, again the jets on the tub were disgusting, this room at least the previous occupant belongings were no longer left in the room. At this point we were told that the issues arising in our stay were because of the change of management. The facility had transferred to a HardRock enterprise on Feb 1, 2012 interesting given that all of the information on the web indicates that happens in several months. Wrist bands were no longer needed. We were further told that given this was no longer a palace property we would not be allowed to use the facilities at the Playacar or Cozumel Palace resorts.

Frustrated I asked many many people who the general manager of the facility was, I requested information on who actualy owned the property. I was told that this information was not to be given to customers. I was directly told that I could not have the information and I should only direct my concerns to Public Relations, who could not in effect mollify my concerns.

I approached Johan at the front desk that evening and he indicated to me that no this was no longer a Palace property but we could access the other venues via the arm bands that are given at the bell desk in the morning for bus transport to the golf course.

We stayed away from the resort the balance of our vacation. We did utilize the resources at Playacar Palace and the food is by far and away superior.

The last day of our visit I contacted the front desk to make arrangements for our morning check out, there was still no information about my daughters ipod and no one in customer service as there was a group checking into the spa side and they needed them there. My bill had charges on it $200.00 for purchases with points, apparently there was an issue with the system, and the charge for the laundering of the wedding gown. At this point my patience had reached its limit. I will pay for the laundering of the wedding gown, I don’ need the apology I just want to never avail myself of this properties services ever again, and I will make sure to tell everyone I can find about my experience, so that is what I am doing. By the time we checked out of our hotel they had reversed all of the charges, and I was not required to pay for the services but at this point my wedding which included 2 weeks in 2 rooms at Aventura palace, guest stayin in 5 other rooms for 1 and 2 week stays, had in fact been a horrifying experience. I brought all of the decor except for the lanterns, I had made arrangements for the photographers, hair and makeup and the events surrounding the actual ceremony with other outside vendors and I paid for that privilege dearly. The only thing Aventura was responsible for was set up, transporting the bride, location and the dinner. The total cost for just us and our family of five was $28000.00, this price does not include any of the outside vendors, we rarely ate on property and the wedding was a fiasco. I am to say the least disappointed in my experience. I have still no word on my daughters ipod and to be honest I am disgusted with the entire experience.

Points to note:

- the grounds and scenery at Aventura are amazing and beautiful
- the entertainment staff are excellent
the entire experience at La Hacienda is amazing
the staff in general are very nice people, very nice people that make very large mistakes but very nice people all the same
Edith Camacho seems to take her job very seriously but is at the mercy of other people following through
issues some of my guests faced - negative room locations
a water beetle landing on a steak and then hanging out in the baked potato, the server grabbed a napkin squashed the beetle and didn’t replace the meal was confused by the request to replace the meal
there are small bugs that live in the closet and bathroom, my assumption is they come in with an open window or patio door, but I cleaned the out and sprayed bug killer on them and we didn't open the patio left the room for several hours upon return they were there again, in canada we call them black flies, troublesome and the bites are itchy
the fridge in several rooms were not working, leaking or just in general warm as opposed to cold
When I asked if we could arrange transportation to Playacar Palace I was told that we could take the bus in the morning, turns out on the bus we found out that it took us to the golf course, a short 15 minute walk to Playacar. a 15 min walk for a handicapped traveller can be very difficult, the bell boy winked and said don't worry. Once on the bus the guide told us we could get off at the golf course then said if you can keep a secret we will drop you in playa, the cab fare from the golf course is 7 dollars so keep that in mind with your tip. He then got off the bus and showed us the "best" place to shop and his cousin will give us a 30 percent discount at that silver store. So the trip in to playa included a 7.00 "tip" each way
you are warned about the lack of beach in advance but the cove is often murky and the bottom is very sharp rocks and there are Jelly fish in the cove as in the ocean, not a huge deal if you are aware, and know the response you body will have, my 12 year old was bit and her leg blew up so large her skin split, I, fortunately had the products required to deal with this on my own, but beware
the spa is often booked, and even if you have a booking it is not necessarily there
if you go thinking you can use your points in any valuable way, think again, the excursions they offer are minimal at best, do not remotely match what is shown online and are often unavailable
no one in our party received a turn down service at all
my children 12, 15, 17 were all wearing their purple wristbands and were all served alcohol repeatedly, even if they ordered an ice tea
using golf carts to get from the spa to the cove side they drive very quickly at one point going around the corner the cart rode up on the curb and grass and tipped flinging my father from the cart
if you do use your points, there will be a lengthy several hour long process to fix the issue or you will be billed for the purchase on your credit card.
there are many online complaints about the food, the lack of change, this to my mind is at least viable given that then you know what not to get, if it is horrible the first time, it will likely be horrible the second.
if you dont like iguanas then Mexico is not the place for you, they are everywhere, I like them others don’t
the rooms and the floors are all marble or tiled, which is beautiful to look at but very slippery, I fell breaking a toe and tearing a tendon, you will occasionally find signs noting the floor is wet, but go with the expectation of being careful.
bring jet cleaner or dont use the tub in your room, we went out in playa and purchased some so we could use it.
LaHacienda is the only restaurant I would recommend and the Mayan coffee is an amazing show, the singers are great fun and honestly if I had eaten only in that restaurant I believe my experience would have been different
be careful of the patio door leakage in your room during rains, three guests had rooms flood to the beds two of them including myself ended up with very wet luggage, and my Louboutins purchased for the wedding were soaked through, not a happy moment
the bell men are often not available in the front drive area and if you try to order a taxi inside they will send you back outside, it is not very well organized
a group in attendance means you will receive little service but if the groups are not in attendance many amenities and restaurants will be closed to you
there is a rumour that you will be met with a cool towel and a drink at check in, I say rumour as I never saw that occur
the day we spent at playa car Palace my children could not go into the pool as there were so many gulls swimming in the pool, and they were aggressive in protecting the territory. At Aventura they would swoop down and steal your food at the pool but at least didn't choose to make the pool their home.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, I have yet to hear from anyone regarding my daughters ipod, nor have I heard from anyone regarding my issues, no member of management has taken the time to assuage my feelings and while I now have the information about the owners the DelToro family in conjunction with the Hard Rock franchise and I further online have been able to ferret out the general Manager being Senior Julian Castaneda at the resort I was not afforded that information. I will send this letter to the people at the resort with the hopes that they do in fact do something to try and rectify this situation. That said you only have one shot at the wedding, its sad that I spent the first part of my week crying about unhappy my guests were and the second crying about how horrible my special day turned out. I lost 3 days in time of my vacation and time with my family standing in line, trying to resolve issues or talking to public relations. I do not know what the issue is with this facility but they cant handle large groups effectively, they drop the ball on important events, the rooms are substandard at best for the cost and all in all it was a sad experience. Effectively if they are not responding to your calls in the beginning best not to assume it will go well in the end.

Room Tip: the building closest to amenities on the cove site is the guitar building or the 02 building there i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank NoelleShivak
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Thank you Marcela and Jorge for the wonderful meal at La Huerta during our visit in August. It was a wonderful meal with our family! The resort has an amazing staff that will make your vacation memorable. Eddy, Vanilla and Mario from the entertainment group made sure we had wonderful activities day and night. Great food! Clean room! Wonderful vacation! Thank you so much and we will be back in March!

Room Tip: Be prepared to be pampered!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We are happy to hear the service provided by our staff was up to your expectations and that it helped making your stay at our resort a memorable occasion.
We strive to provide each and every one of our guests with a great experience.
We are looking forward t o host you again in March here at Aventura Palace.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband, 16 year old daughter and I stayed at the Aventura Cove Palace this January 2012. We were very pleased with the pool area, the restaurants were pretty good, but unforturnately not all of them were open at all times due to conventions and low guest occupancy. We have to give all the staff high marks for service and friendliness. We never encountered any problems with any aspect of service. The sport and activity crew was especially friendly and fun. The problem we had with this resort was the lack of beach. There is only a shallow cove area. This we could live with because they did have a daily free shuttle to the ocean front to the Playacar Palace resort. This however may be not allowed due to the Cove and spa resort being taken over by the Hard Rock Resort. The other and only significant problem we had was when the Mexican Pepsi division held their convention at the resort they set up their reception area outside our building and every night were very loud and disruptive. On the final night the reception was permitted to go on until 2:00 a.m. without regard to non Pepsi guests. The manager did respond to our complaints by refunding our monies paid for the final evening, so I was happy that they tried to please us even though Hard Rock would be taking over soon anyway. The planners of this convention should have had more consideration to its non convention guests in the first place. The resorts occupancy was so low that non convention guests could have been placed much further away and not had to be disrupted by the noise and commotion in the first place. In my opionion this was poor upper management.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be any conventions being held with receptions out near the ocean and make sure you...
6 Thank hooper63
On behalf of Aventura Cove Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review expressing your observations. We strive to provide you with the best possible service and when you feel that we did not meet your expectations, it is important for us to know.
We are happy to hear that the service provided by our staff was up to your expectations and that it helped making your stay at our resort a great experience.
We also would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Otter Tail Lake Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My wife and I, our 3 kids (13, 11 & 8) and my in-laws just returned from one of the best week long vacations we could have ever had at Aventura Cove Palace in the Riviera Maya. Since we packed so much into our fun-filled week, I think I will break down this review into smaller sections and give you my thoughts on each separately. While this was a great vacation, it was not without some minor issues. We do realize our family may be more resilient and able to cope with the unexpected better than some of the others who have written previous reviews, so please note we may be easier to please. Even if this is the case, we still believe we are a good judge of quality in a vacation. My wife and I have been traveling to similar resorts together for the past 15 years; we also own and operate a family fishing resort in west-central Minnesota.
We have been Palace Members for 3 years now and this was our 4th trip to palace resorts. This trip was our second trip to Aventura Spa / Cove. We stayed on the cove side this time as we brought children with us. (Spa side is adults ONLY) As I said before we truly enjoyed our vacation and hope this review adds some value to your next vacation to this great area and specifically this great resort.
All-Inclusive: First of all, I would want you to know that this resort is an all-inclusive resort. Not all all-inclusives are created equal. The reason we are members of Palace resorts is because of 2 separate reasons. The first reason is that the first time we visited a palace resort our friend was happy to see there are 4 bottles of Alcohol in a cabinet in his room. The only problem was he drank bourbon and was hoping they would stock that. He knew he could order it at almost any of the many bars at the resort, but thought he would ask the gentleman stocking the rooms. After a little communication issue, the man went away and quickly returned with a bottle of Jim Beam for my friend to have in his room. My friend probably only had a drink or 2 from his room all week, but the point is…. This is the kind of All-inclusive we have come to know at Palace Resorts. (We have many other similar stories). If you can’t find something great to eat or drink at this resort, you will find it hard to be pleased anywhere.
Spa Credit: For the past 2 years the all-inclusive at Palace has included spa credits ($1,500 for each room stay of over 5 nights). These credits take the All-inclusive to another level. When staying at Aventura (Cove or Spa) all of this credit can be used for SPA Services. This is a great value. We used our spa credit for Spa services including backrubs, Facials, Hair braiding (Kids); we went on the Tulum Excursion; we bought pictures taken by the resort, and for golf at Playacar. I will explain these in sections to follow. We didn’t use all of our credits and we could have used them on upgraded wines, upgraded rooms, more excursions, tequila packages and more.
• At Moon palace we have used these credits for limo transportation between other resorts, into Cancun and back to the airport. This was great, but not available at Aventura due to its more remote location.
Airport Transfer: We came with 7 people so it made it easy for Palace to schedule us on 1 van for our included airport transfer. Since Adventura is about an hour south of the airport, it is nice to not go on a bigger bus or to be put on a shuttle with people from other resorts as this can make travel time much longer and after your air travel, all you want to do is to get to the resort.
We have on other trips asked the driver to stop at a convenience store on our way to purchase drinks for the trip. This year we didn’t as we were with our kids and we thought we could wait until we arrived at the resort.
Check-in: When we pulled up to the lobby, we were excited to get out of the van and to get our vacation started. My kids have been with us to Moon Grand, but never to a palace resort with a large lobby for check-in (Moon grand’s check-in is basically in one of the rooms. Although we are fine with that, it is nice to check-in to a real elegant Lobby) We were greeted with cold wet wash clothes with a great lemony aroma. Very refreshing!
• When we arrived for prior trips we were greeted with Champaign, but not this time. That would have been nice, but may be one of the things slipping away at the resort. I did notice some other guests getting a choice of some premade drinks at check-in. But I guess that is just being done when they can find time now and not for every guest as it used to be.
We were given our room keys almost instantly. The bellman received our room number and all bags were routed right to our room.
The Room: We had originally planned to come with just our family of 5 we were going to get a family suite, but when we made our reservations in November they were running a promotion to give us a free room (including All-inclusive) if we brought another full paying guest. That made it cheaper to have my in-laws come and share 2 Jacuzzi suites for the 7 of us. If you are thinking that sounds like close quarters, that is what my wife thought, so a week before we came she changed our reservation to have a family suite and another room for my in-laws. My wife and I waited until check-in to tell anyone and thought it would be our surprise.
The Surprise was on us!!! When we arrived at our room, we learned the family suite we were upgraded to was the Presidential Suite on the 3rd floor overlooking everything! We couldn’t have been happier. This room was close to everything. It was not loud and it was huge!!!! There could not have been a better room in the whole resort for us. 
Restaurants: Since we were travelling with children, the only options for restaurants we had were on the Cove side. These turned out to be very good on this trip, but kind of limiting. La Hacienda is a great Mexican, but be ready to take your time. We dined here twice. Once it was quiet and the other time it was full. Both times it took a lot of time. Mandacca which is out by the pool was great for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I acted like a spoiled tourist one afternoon and asked for garlic shrimp at lunch. Once I was able to communicate what I wanted, I received 2 helpings of freshly grilled garlic shrimp, Awesome! We did also get room service for the kids one night so we could head to the spa side for MoMoNoHana. This was a great meal, but the kids fajita’s from room service were probably better!

Spa: Since we are members, we receive a Manicure, Pedicure and a Massage each trip without using spa credits. These were great. But we still wanted more. So we used much of our credits for spa services. The only issue with this is trying to pick what service to have and the wait while the official vacation planners help make your reservations. (This is probably my biggest complaint with Palace Resorts. We get lots of opportunity to use spa credits and other services, but it takes so long to book these services. It should go like this…..What service do you want? What is your Name and Room Number? Ok you are booked I will print your receipts to sign, DONE!!!) Somehow this takes what seems like, ½ hour per service. (or a Mexican Minute!) Once booked however the Spa services are great.
• Make sure you take enough time to enjoy the water and aroma therapy before your services 1 Hour is about right.
• Only Hot Tub on the resort is outside the entrance to Spa side’s lobby. It is a great place to relax and to go if rain comes over the resort.
• We wish our kids could receive Massages. They don’t do that here. Our girls did get their hair braided in the salon on the cove side. Very nice job and they are still in today.
Excursions: We only chose to do the Express Tulum Tour on this vacation. This worked great as we were back to the resort by 1:30. Our Tour guide was an archeological Expert and was very interesting. This is a great year to visit since we found out what will happen at the end of the Mayan Calendar later this year. We brought suits with, knowing that the beach at Tulum is great. It was!
Golf: My father-in-law, son and I went golfing at Playacar. At $210+ per round it would be an expensive adventure, but since we could use resort credits it was a deal. We did have to pay for clubs and balls (We did pretty good) but you can go through the balls on this course. The course isn’t in the shape it was back when it hosted the PGA, but it is still a great round of golf. It is also great to see all the animals on the course. I love the all-inclusive piece of golf. It is nice to stop the beer cart for sandwiches, beer, pop and water and have it all FREE! We also used this trip to go to the beach at Playacar Palace. It is a great benefit to be able to go to other Palace resorts with All-inclusive included.
• We were happy they let our son golf. He is 13 and a fairly good golfer. They had no questions about it.
Kids Club: If this review was being done by my 8 year old daughter, this would be the best feature of this resort. They have an active schedule with crafts and learning opportunities. They do get to watch tv which our kids enjoy a little too much, but they are always doing other things as well. The staff is very professional and yet laid back and great with the kids. They were flexible with our older kids and let them come and go as they please (With our permission). This is a must and a great service with small children.
Entertainment Staff: Our first couple days the resort was fairly empty. This gave us a great opportunity to meet all of the Entertainment staff. J, Vanilla, Jauquin and more… do a great job making everyone feel welcome to participate in any activities they are doing. Even though they do the same things each week, they make you feel like it is fun because they are doing them with you. They should receive the highest grade for all their efforts.
Nightly Shows: We took in the nightly show almost every night. These are not just cheesy small resort shows. They are big time entertainment. The Circus show is amazing. How do these people perform such feats! The Magic Show was top notch and our children had so much fun. Other than a few sparks in our eyes from the fire show, it should not be missed. All of these shows were a great way to cap off a day of fun at Aventura Cove Palace.
Tipping: I normally bring a huge amount of $1’s to tip throughout the week. What I didn’t bring this week is enough $5’s. Since we were a group of 7 it seemed too little to tip 1,2 or3 dollars at a meal. Please note that you are not required to tip and never did I feel obligated to leave a tip, however time are changing in this area of Mexico. It seems like the simple slip of a $1 tip doesn’t justify the effort these people are putting forth. I should mention that even the smallest of tips is appreciated and does generate even better service than without.
Cove Vs Beach: We had a wonderful time in the cove at the resort. While it is NO substitute for a beach with wave coming in, it did allow for kayaking and some great snorkeling trips. We had Cosmos give us a tour one day and found it very useful to know where to see most of the sea life. After that we went on our own each day and were able to see hundreds of fish each time. My favorites were the baby Barracudas that swam near the surface. Be careful of the jelly fish, but also don’t miss watching them as they are beautiful as well. We made sure to make a couple of trips to Playacar palace during the week to get our fill of the sand and surf as well.
Check-out: This was a disappointment for a couple of reasons. One, we were leaving a great resort. But then a second disappointment was that it took a lot of time and we had to straighten out some billing issues. We had a few spa services and excursions that were scheduled with the vacation planners as spa credit services, but then were not reflected that way on our bill. It could be because we had 3 rooms and credits on only 2 of them, but even so it should not be so confusing. It also took quite a while to straighten out. Make sure you leave time to check-out so you can get your bill settled correctly. In the end they removed all of these charges and we were happy.
• During our stay a large group of HerbaLife (Mexico) came in with 1500 people. The resort handled this very well. While it was discouraging to wait a little longer for a drink or for food, service was still adequate. At check-out they set up kiosks in the lobby for their group to checkout this saved me a lot of waiting time.
SUMMARY: Hopefully this review will help you in your upcoming vacation plans. We feel like Palace resorts is a well run high-end resort that is not without issues, but overall it is a great vacation value. Our family looks forward to taking many more vacations at Palace Resorts in the future!

6 Thank YourResort
On behalf of Aventura Cove Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments about our resort.
We are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience, our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are delighted to know that your perception about our service was positive.
We are looking forward to host you again here at Aventura Cove Palace.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I visited Aventura Cove Palace with my family recently, for the first time. I am a member of the Palace Resorts but I have never been here before. I wanted to go to Playacar Palace. I tried to make a reservation for Playacar three months in advance but was told that it was all booked up even though I am a Palace member. However when I checked Expedia.com it was available. So I was forced to go to Aventura Cove with my wife and daughter. The resort was big and nice and was empty for the majority of the week although there was a convention for a couple of days. The rooms are small and have only two double beds so its only good for couples. The stay was good but the service was less than satisfactory. When I wanted extra towels for my room I called room service. But the towels didn’t arrive so I called two more times over the span of about and a hour and a half. Finally I was so fed up I went downstairs to talk to a manager. After two hours the towels finally arrived. The manager apologized but did nothing else. Another time my room wouldn’t open with the keys so we called the front desk to send somebody up to help us but again no one arrived for 25 minutes so I went downstairs to the front desk again where I got a new key and discovered they weren’t planning to send anyone up. We have been to many palace resorts but this was the first time that we had such unsatisfactory service. I was very disappointed. This service might be bad because the hotel is going in transition to new management, which is the Hard Rock Resorts.

10 Thank PontaR
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
We regret to know that your expectation were not fulfilled, we deeply apologize for your perception.

On behalf of Aventura Palace, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and kindly ask you contact us at customerservice@allinclusivecollection.com for the proper follow up.
Milton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

First time at this resort. I am a seasoned traveller and I have never experienced the utter horror which I did at this resort. They messed up everything from golf times to spa appointments to just about everything. I could write a book. Paid extra for a golf and spa package only to find out the spa was pretty well fully booked by the time we arrived and couldn't get a credit. But to top off a week of misery, they had a $400 charge on our bill which was a mistake and would not reverse it. In fact they forced us to pay before they would allow us to leave the grounds. We were basically held hostage!!! It was really sad because the resort was actually very nice. The people who worked there were very friendly. But there was never a manager anywhere to resolve problems and there were tons of problems. I am not a whiner or complainer but trust me on this one, STAY AWAY!!! This place is a joke.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Ron A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Ri...
#4 of 16 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 200 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 1,944 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!