“Wonderful service, great pool!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 72, Carretera Cancun-Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Cove Palace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
40% OFF + $1800 CREDIT
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful service, great pool!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband, 16 year old daughter and I stayed at the Aventura Cove Palace this January 2012. We were very pleased with the pool area, the restaurants were pretty good, but unforturnately not all of them were open at all times due to conventions and low guest occupancy. We have to give all the staff high marks for service and friendliness. We never encountered any problems with any aspect of service. The sport and activity crew was especially friendly and fun. The problem we had with this resort was the lack of beach. There is only a shallow cove area. This we could live with because they did have a daily free shuttle to the ocean front to the Playacar Palace resort. This however may be not allowed due to the Cove and spa resort being taken over by the Hard Rock Resort. The other and only significant problem we had was when the Mexican Pepsi division held their convention at the resort they set up their reception area outside our building and every night were very loud and disruptive. On the final night the reception was permitted to go on until 2:00 a.m. without regard to non Pepsi guests. The manager did respond to our complaints by refunding our monies paid for the final evening, so I was happy that they tried to please us even though Hard Rock would be taking over soon anyway. The planners of this convention should have had more consideration to its non convention guests in the first place. The resorts occupancy was so low that non convention guests could have been placed much further away and not had to be disrupted by the noise and commotion in the first place. In my opionion this was poor upper management.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be any conventions being held with receptions out near the ocean and make sure you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
On behalf of Aventura Cove Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review expressing your observations. We strive to provide you with the best possible service and when you feel that we did not meet your expectations, it is important for us to know.
We are happy to hear that the service provided by our staff was up to your expectations and that it helped making your stay at our resort a great experience.
We also would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Otter Tail Lake Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My wife and I, our 3 kids (13, 11 & 8) and my in-laws just returned from one of the best week long vacations we could have ever had at Aventura Cove Palace in the Riviera Maya. Since we packed so much into our fun-filled week, I think I will break down this review into smaller sections and give you my thoughts on each separately. While this was a great vacation, it was not without some minor issues. We do realize our family may be more resilient and able to cope with the unexpected better than some of the others who have written previous reviews, so please note we may be easier to please. Even if this is the case, we still believe we are a good judge of quality in a vacation. My wife and I have been traveling to similar resorts together for the past 15 years; we also own and operate a family fishing resort in west-central Minnesota.
We have been Palace Members for 3 years now and this was our 4th trip to palace resorts. This trip was our second trip to Aventura Spa / Cove. We stayed on the cove side this time as we brought children with us. (Spa side is adults ONLY) As I said before we truly enjoyed our vacation and hope this review adds some value to your next vacation to this great area and specifically this great resort.
All-Inclusive: First of all, I would want you to know that this resort is an all-inclusive resort. Not all all-inclusives are created equal. The reason we are members of Palace resorts is because of 2 separate reasons. The first reason is that the first time we visited a palace resort our friend was happy to see there are 4 bottles of Alcohol in a cabinet in his room. The only problem was he drank bourbon and was hoping they would stock that. He knew he could order it at almost any of the many bars at the resort, but thought he would ask the gentleman stocking the rooms. After a little communication issue, the man went away and quickly returned with a bottle of Jim Beam for my friend to have in his room. My friend probably only had a drink or 2 from his room all week, but the point is…. This is the kind of All-inclusive we have come to know at Palace Resorts. (We have many other similar stories). If you can’t find something great to eat or drink at this resort, you will find it hard to be pleased anywhere.
Spa Credit: For the past 2 years the all-inclusive at Palace has included spa credits ($1,500 for each room stay of over 5 nights). These credits take the All-inclusive to another level. When staying at Aventura (Cove or Spa) all of this credit can be used for SPA Services. This is a great value. We used our spa credit for Spa services including backrubs, Facials, Hair braiding (Kids); we went on the Tulum Excursion; we bought pictures taken by the resort, and for golf at Playacar. I will explain these in sections to follow. We didn’t use all of our credits and we could have used them on upgraded wines, upgraded rooms, more excursions, tequila packages and more.
• At Moon palace we have used these credits for limo transportation between other resorts, into Cancun and back to the airport. This was great, but not available at Aventura due to its more remote location.
Airport Transfer: We came with 7 people so it made it easy for Palace to schedule us on 1 van for our included airport transfer. Since Adventura is about an hour south of the airport, it is nice to not go on a bigger bus or to be put on a shuttle with people from other resorts as this can make travel time much longer and after your air travel, all you want to do is to get to the resort.
We have on other trips asked the driver to stop at a convenience store on our way to purchase drinks for the trip. This year we didn’t as we were with our kids and we thought we could wait until we arrived at the resort.
Check-in: When we pulled up to the lobby, we were excited to get out of the van and to get our vacation started. My kids have been with us to Moon Grand, but never to a palace resort with a large lobby for check-in (Moon grand’s check-in is basically in one of the rooms. Although we are fine with that, it is nice to check-in to a real elegant Lobby) We were greeted with cold wet wash clothes with a great lemony aroma. Very refreshing!
• When we arrived for prior trips we were greeted with Champaign, but not this time. That would have been nice, but may be one of the things slipping away at the resort. I did notice some other guests getting a choice of some premade drinks at check-in. But I guess that is just being done when they can find time now and not for every guest as it used to be.
We were given our room keys almost instantly. The bellman received our room number and all bags were routed right to our room.
The Room: We had originally planned to come with just our family of 5 we were going to get a family suite, but when we made our reservations in November they were running a promotion to give us a free room (including All-inclusive) if we brought another full paying guest. That made it cheaper to have my in-laws come and share 2 Jacuzzi suites for the 7 of us. If you are thinking that sounds like close quarters, that is what my wife thought, so a week before we came she changed our reservation to have a family suite and another room for my in-laws. My wife and I waited until check-in to tell anyone and thought it would be our surprise.
The Surprise was on us!!! When we arrived at our room, we learned the family suite we were upgraded to was the Presidential Suite on the 3rd floor overlooking everything! We couldn’t have been happier. This room was close to everything. It was not loud and it was huge!!!! There could not have been a better room in the whole resort for us. 
Restaurants: Since we were travelling with children, the only options for restaurants we had were on the Cove side. These turned out to be very good on this trip, but kind of limiting. La Hacienda is a great Mexican, but be ready to take your time. We dined here twice. Once it was quiet and the other time it was full. Both times it took a lot of time. Mandacca which is out by the pool was great for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I acted like a spoiled tourist one afternoon and asked for garlic shrimp at lunch. Once I was able to communicate what I wanted, I received 2 helpings of freshly grilled garlic shrimp, Awesome! We did also get room service for the kids one night so we could head to the spa side for MoMoNoHana. This was a great meal, but the kids fajita’s from room service were probably better!

Spa: Since we are members, we receive a Manicure, Pedicure and a Massage each trip without using spa credits. These were great. But we still wanted more. So we used much of our credits for spa services. The only issue with this is trying to pick what service to have and the wait while the official vacation planners help make your reservations. (This is probably my biggest complaint with Palace Resorts. We get lots of opportunity to use spa credits and other services, but it takes so long to book these services. It should go like this…..What service do you want? What is your Name and Room Number? Ok you are booked I will print your receipts to sign, DONE!!!) Somehow this takes what seems like, ½ hour per service. (or a Mexican Minute!) Once booked however the Spa services are great.
• Make sure you take enough time to enjoy the water and aroma therapy before your services 1 Hour is about right.
• Only Hot Tub on the resort is outside the entrance to Spa side’s lobby. It is a great place to relax and to go if rain comes over the resort.
• We wish our kids could receive Massages. They don’t do that here. Our girls did get their hair braided in the salon on the cove side. Very nice job and they are still in today.
Excursions: We only chose to do the Express Tulum Tour on this vacation. This worked great as we were back to the resort by 1:30. Our Tour guide was an archeological Expert and was very interesting. This is a great year to visit since we found out what will happen at the end of the Mayan Calendar later this year. We brought suits with, knowing that the beach at Tulum is great. It was!
Golf: My father-in-law, son and I went golfing at Playacar. At $210+ per round it would be an expensive adventure, but since we could use resort credits it was a deal. We did have to pay for clubs and balls (We did pretty good) but you can go through the balls on this course. The course isn’t in the shape it was back when it hosted the PGA, but it is still a great round of golf. It is also great to see all the animals on the course. I love the all-inclusive piece of golf. It is nice to stop the beer cart for sandwiches, beer, pop and water and have it all FREE! We also used this trip to go to the beach at Playacar Palace. It is a great benefit to be able to go to other Palace resorts with All-inclusive included.
• We were happy they let our son golf. He is 13 and a fairly good golfer. They had no questions about it.
Kids Club: If this review was being done by my 8 year old daughter, this would be the best feature of this resort. They have an active schedule with crafts and learning opportunities. They do get to watch tv which our kids enjoy a little too much, but they are always doing other things as well. The staff is very professional and yet laid back and great with the kids. They were flexible with our older kids and let them come and go as they please (With our permission). This is a must and a great service with small children.
Entertainment Staff: Our first couple days the resort was fairly empty. This gave us a great opportunity to meet all of the Entertainment staff. J, Vanilla, Jauquin and more… do a great job making everyone feel welcome to participate in any activities they are doing. Even though they do the same things each week, they make you feel like it is fun because they are doing them with you. They should receive the highest grade for all their efforts.
Nightly Shows: We took in the nightly show almost every night. These are not just cheesy small resort shows. They are big time entertainment. The Circus show is amazing. How do these people perform such feats! The Magic Show was top notch and our children had so much fun. Other than a few sparks in our eyes from the fire show, it should not be missed. All of these shows were a great way to cap off a day of fun at Aventura Cove Palace.
Tipping: I normally bring a huge amount of $1’s to tip throughout the week. What I didn’t bring this week is enough $5’s. Since we were a group of 7 it seemed too little to tip 1,2 or3 dollars at a meal. Please note that you are not required to tip and never did I feel obligated to leave a tip, however time are changing in this area of Mexico. It seems like the simple slip of a $1 tip doesn’t justify the effort these people are putting forth. I should mention that even the smallest of tips is appreciated and does generate even better service than without.
Cove Vs Beach: We had a wonderful time in the cove at the resort. While it is NO substitute for a beach with wave coming in, it did allow for kayaking and some great snorkeling trips. We had Cosmos give us a tour one day and found it very useful to know where to see most of the sea life. After that we went on our own each day and were able to see hundreds of fish each time. My favorites were the baby Barracudas that swam near the surface. Be careful of the jelly fish, but also don’t miss watching them as they are beautiful as well. We made sure to make a couple of trips to Playacar palace during the week to get our fill of the sand and surf as well.
Check-out: This was a disappointment for a couple of reasons. One, we were leaving a great resort. But then a second disappointment was that it took a lot of time and we had to straighten out some billing issues. We had a few spa services and excursions that were scheduled with the vacation planners as spa credit services, but then were not reflected that way on our bill. It could be because we had 3 rooms and credits on only 2 of them, but even so it should not be so confusing. It also took quite a while to straighten out. Make sure you leave time to check-out so you can get your bill settled correctly. In the end they removed all of these charges and we were happy.
• During our stay a large group of HerbaLife (Mexico) came in with 1500 people. The resort handled this very well. While it was discouraging to wait a little longer for a drink or for food, service was still adequate. At check-out they set up kiosks in the lobby for their group to checkout this saved me a lot of waiting time.
SUMMARY: Hopefully this review will help you in your upcoming vacation plans. We feel like Palace resorts is a well run high-end resort that is not without issues, but overall it is a great vacation value. Our family looks forward to taking many more vacations at Palace Resorts in the future!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of Aventura Cove Palace, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments about our resort.
We are really glad to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable experience, our goal is to always provide the best stay possible and we are delighted to know that your perception about our service was positive.
We are looking forward to host you again here at Aventura Cove Palace.

Best regards.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I visited Aventura Cove Palace with my family recently, for the first time. I am a member of the Palace Resorts but I have never been here before. I wanted to go to Playacar Palace. I tried to make a reservation for Playacar three months in advance but was told that it was all booked up even though I am a Palace member. However when I checked Expedia.com it was available. So I was forced to go to Aventura Cove with my wife and daughter. The resort was big and nice and was empty for the majority of the week although there was a convention for a couple of days. The rooms are small and have only two double beds so its only good for couples. The stay was good but the service was less than satisfactory. When I wanted extra towels for my room I called room service. But the towels didn’t arrive so I called two more times over the span of about and a hour and a half. Finally I was so fed up I went downstairs to talk to a manager. After two hours the towels finally arrived. The manager apologized but did nothing else. Another time my room wouldn’t open with the keys so we called the front desk to send somebody up to help us but again no one arrived for 25 minutes so I went downstairs to the front desk again where I got a new key and discovered they weren’t planning to send anyone up. We have been to many palace resorts but this was the first time that we had such unsatisfactory service. I was very disappointed. This service might be bad because the hotel is going in transition to new management, which is the Hard Rock Resorts.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... A, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
We regret to know that your expectation were not fulfilled, we deeply apologize for your perception.

On behalf of Aventura Palace, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and kindly ask you contact us at customerservice@allinclusivecollection.com for the proper follow up.
Milton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

First time at this resort. I am a seasoned traveller and I have never experienced the utter horror which I did at this resort. They messed up everything from golf times to spa appointments to just about everything. I could write a book. Paid extra for a golf and spa package only to find out the spa was pretty well fully booked by the time we arrived and couldn't get a credit. But to top off a week of misery, they had a $400 charge on our bill which was a mistake and would not reverse it. In fact they forced us to pay before they would allow us to leave the grounds. We were basically held hostage!!! It was really sad because the resort was actually very nice. The people who worked there were very friendly. But there was never a manager anywhere to resolve problems and there were tons of problems. I am not a whiner or complainer but trust me on this one, STAY AWAY!!! This place is a joke.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Recently stayed here for a week after Christmas 2011, with my three daughters. The food, room conditions, and personality of waitstaff, when visible, were terrible. Our room was left uncleaned for two whole days. We were restricted to the side of the property designated for families with children due to our 16 year daughter. This prevented our access to 3/4ths of the hotel, all fine dining, the gym and spa. We were never told of these conditions when booking our stay. ALSO, hassled when checking out when one of the plastic bracelets they put on us was missing. They threatened to charge us $75 and would not check us out until we paid. I had to sign an "exception" form to waiver fee. Again, we were NEVER told that these bracelets needed to be returned when we arrived.
When we complained the hotel did nothing.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, period.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I’m actually having a very hard time writing this review!! I want to start out by saying that we are Palace owners and have been for 8 years. We have upgraded our membership 3 times and are now VIP members. When we travel to Mexico the Palace Resorts are the only resorts that we stay at just because we love the quality of the facilities and of the service that we have always received. I want to say that we have stayed here 2 times in the past and this stay was our 3rd stay but it has been 4 years since the last time we stayed at the Aventura Spa and that was when it was adults only. We have always stayed at the Spa when it was adults only. This year we stayed at the Cove side in the Presidential suite because we brought our daughter who is 15 and a family friend along with us on vacation. We also vacation with another couple who are also members but this would have been their first time to the Cove / Spa.

To start this review off I would like to say that the transportation from the airport to the hotel was very good since there were 6 of us we basically filled a van and didn’t have to wait to go to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel there was a camera crew and a bus load of people getting off of 2 buses. The bell boys quickly unloaded our luggage and we were pointed to the lobby to check in. I was used to receiving a drink upon arrival and a cold towel but this didn’t happen and I would quickly learn the level of service had severely suffered since our last visit! There was only 1 person at the front desk to check in the regular guests. But in the court yard there was a bunch of counter space with computers and employees set up to check in all the people for the Pepsico convention, I would say there were 8 people checking people in and when we went over to the spa side to visit there were 3 or more people in the lobby area to help guests. There were 2 groups in front of us for check in and it took 45 minutes which we stood in line to wait to be checked in. My husband was rapidly losing his patience. Then the couple that vacations with us who are also members had booked for the Cove side also so we would be close together but they were moved without their knowledge to the spa side and about a 10 – 15 minute walk from our room, basically across the resort area. This sucked and even though they were members they didn’t have a close ocean view like they were supposed to have but since the Pepsico convention was there they could not move their room.

This was the first time that we stayed in the Presidential Suite. We have always just stayed in the Jacuzzi room in the past since it has only been my husband and I. The room was nice and we were on the 2nd floor and were ocean front. I was sad that the nightly turn down service had vanished along with the towel/rug that they put on the marble floor by your bed. The towel animals had disappeared but they did make an appearance on the last night of our stay in the room. My daughter was disappointed because our room did not have a hammock on the balcony like the other rooms did and their room with a balcony which would be similar to the regular Jacuzzi suite did not have the hammock either. My friends had coke the first night in their mini fridge but when they asked for more they had run out of Coke. (I didn’t think it was that big of a deal but they like Coke.) They had also ran out of linguni pasta one of the main ingredients for their Italian menu?

The place was deserted except for the Pepsico convention. We were disappointed that the restaurants on the Cove side were not all open every night, this limited where my daughter could eat since she was limited to the Cove side, in the first 3 nights the steak place was only open 1 time and we didn’t want to do the buffet at night since that is basically all we had to choose from for breakfast and lunch. Apparently the presidential suite was supposed to have a special room service menu but we never received it in our room along with the aroma therapy and the pillow menu which was apparently absent from it as well. They did have a brick oven out by the pool bar which made very good pizza but it was only open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and was not open again during our stay for some reason. When we had went there before you would always see someone painting, repairing, cleaning etc but not this time. I wouldn’t say that things were dirty but they didn’t look as crisp and clean as they did when we visited the Playacar palace later in the week.

They have been holding a lot of conventions at this resort why would they do this when it is supposed to be for families? Please put them on the adult side, but the family side is closer for them to the convention center! There was loud music 3 nights we were there and we were in the 00 building about as far away from them as you could get.

The cove / inlets into the ocean, some people like them because they have children and don’t have to worry about them with the current etc. Yes that is fine but the resort needs to get the jelly fish cleaned out of the coves in case children want to swim in there. It isn’t very deep and the jelly fish are stuck in clumps of sea weed. I didn’t disturb the jellyfish at all when I was snorkeling and I received some jelly fish stings on my neck and shoulder while snorkeling. My daughter who was snorkeling asked me what the plants that were moving at the bottom were and I told her to stay away because they were jelly fish. The Cove also it needs to be cleaned out there were pieces of carpet and garbage that had gotten washed in and were getting covered with sand and debris. The small limestone rocks that you have to walk across to actually get into the water are very hard on your feet, why couldn’t they cover this with sand. I do want to say that I have snorkeled for many hours in these coves before the hurricane hit last time and I did notice that some of the reef was starting to grow back in places; but it was also getting filled up with sand and garbage quickly. I don’t ever remember it being so shallow that you could walk and stand up in all of it like you could now. Standing and walking is not a good thing when you have jelly fish on the bottom stuck in sea weed fyi.

We had problems with bugs in our rooms we kept getting bug bites on our legs and we even had two huge 3 inch long wasps flying around one evening when we came back from supper. The same plate for fruit that we never touched stayed on the desk in our room the whole time I watched the grapes turn brown and the banana turn black under the saran wrap.

The spa was ok at best that service has declined for sure!!! First of all you couldn’t book a spa service. I had a ton of room credits since we had two rooms with the presidential suite. I wanted to get a couples facial with my friend and tried to book 3 days in advance but they didn’t have any openings. When I asked my massage therapist if they were busy she said not really that she would only have 3 customers that day. Well you won’t have customers if you can’t book people. I basically gave up using my credits since I couldn’t get anything booked. When you went to the spa you used to have your own personal guide who would take you thru the hydrotherapy part. The 1st day I went neither the Sauna nor the Steam Room were working. I have had their facials in the past and this time you didn’t get a poultice type of application on your back but the price was still the same. My robe had one of the belt loops torn off and the cushion they used under my legs had rips and tears on the ends and looked used and abused in general. This wasn’t just for one treatment I went to the spa 3 different times in the 7 days we were there. I had a 50 minute massage on day 3 in the morning, an 80 minute massage and facial on day 7.

The service was lacking we went to the Chinese restaurant and it took 2 hours to be served sushi, soup and our meal, which when we received our meal 3 out of the 5 were room temp at best and the other 2 were steaming hot and could barely be eaten. We ate at the seafood restaurant out by the pool on day 4 and day 7. The first time I had a stellar meal of salmon and tuna. On the last night I had the ribeye. It tasted off and I only ate half of it. I would like to say that this was the first time that I have ever been sick in Mexico. It was a good thing my friend had gone to the doctor before she came with us; I had to take her Q Dri and her antibiotics that she had gotten from the doctor, what a great way to start your day before you need to head to the airport. We laughed at her, when she went to the doctor to get drugs to take with her. We had been on the kitchen tour and knew how clean and impressive the kitchen was but apparently that level of service had also declined. I want to repeat I have never been sick in Mexico before. I did not drink or eat excessively since I was going scuba diving and I make it a habit never to eat off of the resort just because I don’t know what the food quality will be. We were very disappointed that the dress codes were not upheld when it came to the nightly restaurants. We dressed very nicely for dinner on the first 4 days but after watching couples eat in camo shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, yoga pants and tank tops we went along with the flow just to see how we would be received. We came back from Playacar after a day of sun and water and went to the Italian restaurant and were seated front and center. I felt very bad about how we were dressed but the other members in our group were more upset that nothing was done about and they continue to let this go.

Ok my husband said not to complain about free transportation but I’m going to say this. Ok we took the free shuttle to Playacar Palace and on the bus there they said we were going to be dropped off at the golf course. What is going on, the bell boy said they would take us to the Playacar Palace?? The guy said that it only changed a couple of days ago and drop off at golf course and you needed to walk 15 – 20 minutes to the Playacar Palace. Then he said I’ll talk to the driver and see if he will take you right outside of the place but don’t tell anyone. My husband thought that was the same scam they pulled 4 years ago. It was especially funny when the guide said that guy waiving over there will give you a good price on silver. “He is my cousin.”

They are making changes and are changing to the Hard Rock brand hopefully this will remake the resort. These changes will not be done until next year. I know that my family and our friends will think long and hard about visiting this place again. We are looking forward to the Playacar Palace for our next vacation. We even tried to have our rooms switched to the Playacar Palace even though we only had 3 nights left of our vacation.

Room Tip: Use your room credits to upgrade your room. Ask to stay close to the Spa side.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is our 3rd time at the Cove as we are members of palace. Met at arrival with a cool towel and refreshing drink. Receptionist gave all the girls flowers. Rooms great, staff nice. Food good at breakfast and lunch but Ventanas buffet at dinner needs work. Other restaurants fine. We enjoy the lagoons for swimming and snorkelling as the sea is often rough and windy. Tons of tropical fish etc. It does not have a beach where your kids can use their bucket and spade and it's rough and hard on your feet. Resort is lovely, pools nice but a distinct lack of wait service down by the lagoons this time. Good entertainment at night. We had a few room issues, rattling A/C and minor toilet issue which were fixed promptly. A very relaxing trip until checkout. Palace has outsourced their airport transportation to another company. We checked in with the rep (who was new) for that company at the resort for our return to airport transport to find out you are also supposed to check it with the palace reps ??? Our transport was not arranged on the am of leaving (we had also been confused with another family). We were told it was our fault for not also booking it with the palace rep. No one told us this and why would you need to check in with 2 different reps for that. After a lot of fussing and ultimately leaving in a cab for a $60 cab ride to the airport as we had to leave for our flight, we were stopped at the security gate by staff and a resort manager came down from the lobby to give a voucher to pay for the ride (which was the right thing to do). This was christmas day and senior managers were off. The duty manager tried to call them and talked to multiple peoeple on the tel to get permission to pay for the cab. You would think the duty manager would have the power to make those simple deciscions. It was an aggravating end to a nice trip. Palace did respond to this issue when I filled out their online survey.
P.S. Had a fabulous deep tissue massage at the spa by Ruby. I think I offended her by origionally asking for a guy massuse as the ladies always seemed uncomfortable doing the deep pressure I need for my crappy shoulder. She worked miracles and my shoulder was great for a couple of weeks. Thanks Ruby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!