“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 72, Carretera Cancun-Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Cove Palace)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
35% OFF + $1,800 CREDIT
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
PDX
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

First things first, we payed extra for the Deluxe Ocean View Room - which was a HUGE disappointment!! It was a PARTIAL VIEW! All Ocean View Rooms are only promised 'partial ocean'. Next time I would just get the Deluxe Garden or Resort View. It was a huge rip off.

The rooms themselves were comfortable. With a huge jacuzzi tub in the room. The balconies have a hammock and chairs. They come with little refrigerators and a coffee maker. And your own personal bar. They re-stocked every day! Except for our coffee cups, they didn't restock that - which was weird!

However, the resort itself is absolutely beautiful. The beaches are not super soft where you can enjoy the gentle lapping of waves. It is a man-made cove area that protects a little lagoon area where you can snorkel and kayak. Mind you, it is VERY small! There are sister resorts that you can visit that have better beaches.

The location is kind of remote, however, it felt very secure and was only about a $15 cab ride to Playa Del Carmen. The size of the facility was impressive and the resort next door just seemed like an extension of it. The place next door was the Aventura Spa Palace. It was basically the same thing but an adults only resort. You could easily walk between both. We did at first not realizing that they were two different resorts!

They had a nice variety of restaurants - from sushi, Mexican, to steak house, buffets, and Italian. The wait times were absolutely ridiculous though!! We waited almost over an hour to eat our sushi one night. We put our names in and waited over 45 minutes with then waiting another 45 minutes to get our food. We could not believe it. It seemed like they were WAY understaffed or something. We had better luck at the buffet restaurants.

The staff were incredibly friendly, warm and always smiling. I was really impressed with how great the service was. I just think that they didn't have the kitchen staff to get the food out fast enough.

Cleanliness - our rooms took forever to get cleaned (another understaffed situation?). However, the restaurants took great care in cleaning the eggs before they cracked them open to make omelets and they served unlimited supply of bottled water.

The value: Free food - free alcohol. So, we could eat anywhere for free on the property. That was amazing!! We ate ourselves sick with sushi and steak and fish. It was amazing. The guacamole was to die for good! They had premium alcohol for no extra cost. That was so surprising!

Room Tip: Elevators are slow and few. We took the stairs every time. Which was fine. But it is good for you to...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hotel was perfect for a family vacation. The a joining rooms made it convienent for everyone to get their own space.

The only downside for us was the fact that the hotel was almost empty the week that we were there. No fault of the hotel or the crew, everyone treated us very well and we certainly didn't have to wait in any lines.

The "beach" was not a beach, its a set of stairs to access a swimming area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We took a 9yo and a 20yo, it had a lagoon and no real sand you could call a beach. I would not take children there again. The other reason I would not take the kids back there is the food, I expected there too be food at the buffet that our 9yo could/would eat, but we had to constantly ask for chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza etc (evening meals) that became old very fast and the child didnt want to go eat there, she found room service easier, which is dissappointing. We found overall the food very dissappointing, food was being repurposed the following day etc, the bread was stale the whole week. I would also recommend if you want to go to the spa over at Adventura Spa go over and book directly with them, they also only had one lady working the childrens spa so it is almost impossible to get your child a booking. Was not impressed by the kids club, although two of the girls were very lovely, attentive with the children, the 3rd was a hag, on her shift I observed as a little fellow lay in front of the entry door crying for his mom and the staff member did nothing to ease his anguish.The nightly shows at 9pm were fun, but on the Fire show all we could smell were cigars :(( from other people watching the show. Overall was unimpressed and will not be going back there.

Room Tip: The rooms have small ants in them, so you had to be careful what you brought into the room. I use an...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012 via mobile

This resort has many wonderful aspects. We arrived Christmas Day and left New Years Eve. There were four adults and four kids in our group. I'm glad we reserved the family suite because one room for four of us would have been tough. We had no problems with the time share sales but we did not even consider taking a tour and we were glad we didn't. The Cove is nice but not sandy... So don't hope for a beach. The food was good, shows were great and service was wonderful. My first complaint is that the birds were all over the outside dining area. Some people would actually feed them or leave food unattended - this was gross and the birds kept pooping on us and the surrounding area. Lastly, I contracted a terrible case of e-coli food poisoning the night before we left for home. It's been 7 full days and after a horrific plane ride home, stay in the ER and heavy antibiotics I'm still having a tough time recovering - unfortunately this experience soured my overall impression. I'm just thankful that no one else in my group was I'll... But I have no plans to visit Mexico again anytime soon.

• Stayed December 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I along with our 2 children ages 3 and 5 stayed here from Dec.28-Jan.4th. It is a great hotel, but being a family hotel there are 2 things I would change: 1) have a toddler friendly pool, our 3 year old is on the taller size and she could not toug the bottom o the pool, thus we were always on alert. The second things I'd change is the shows that take place at night, have them start at 8 not 9. Overall, we had a great vacation and will consider going back again!

• Stayed December 2011
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I've stayed at a few of the resorts in the Mayan Riviera and this one had a few big problems. First, the beach is non existent. There's a cove, but no real ability to play around in the sand and swim which is something that is important for most kids (and adults too!). So we ended up having to take a shuttle (you could cab for $20) to another one of their sister hotels. The shuttle only leaves and comes back at one time of the day, and it's first come first serve.
Second, the rooms are WAY too small. When we asked the hotel to allow us to switch they flat out refused, telling us that all the rooms are the same size which turned out to be untrue because there were suites there. Keep in mind, we said that we'd consider paying for an upgrade so the lie was unnecessary. Even if there were none available, then say that, don't say they don't exist when they very clearly do.
Third, the resort credits can also be made very difficult to use -- luckily, we managed to use ours but there is clearly some sort of "class" to them because I watched another guest be told that the spa was completely booked for the whole week so he didn't get to use his at all. I also heard that if you slip them some money that magically some services open up. Not impressed. That being said, the spa was really nice (if you get there of course). I thoroughly enjoyed all my services.
Fourth, the food was average. If you're on the adult side you have more options, but basically on the cove side, you have a choice of buffet, a steak restaurant and a Mexican restaurant. All were pretty decent, but not outstanding.
There was a lot of complaining from guests, overall it was okay, but don't expect a better than average experience. If you get a good deal I'd recommend, but otherwise, there are lots of really good choices for other resorts. It's probably fair to say it's a 4-star, but if you're after a 5-star experience (by Mexican standards) this is not it. I do think the Spa side (the adult side) is nicer and maybe worth exploring if you don't have the kids along. If I had to pick which side to stay on it would definitely be the Spa side from what I saw.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We just returned last night from a week at the Aventura cove palace. It was excellent. teh food was very good (not huge variety) but everything was fresh and delcious. It was much better than I would have expected from an all inclusive. The staff are solovely and go out of their way to make you happy. The kid's club was great. My son had alot of fun and the staff took great care of him. The fire show was really amazing. My kids swam withthe Dolphins wghich they loved. The extra $1500 credit is such a greeat bonus. We iused iot for the dolhphins, a trip to Tulum and spa treatments. If you have a chance to do the couples massage it was like being treated like royalty -totally heavenly. If oyu want a real beach though this is not the place for you. The cove is lovely for kayaking and snorkeling but not wave riding., The staff on the sunwing flights were very nice too. The check in and check out were a bit bumpy. Check in because they had not received ours (and most people fromour flight's reservations. HOwever we got our agent rp on th ephone and had a room quickly. The check out was because they ghda a new system that night. Ideal vacation. Totally relaxing and pampered.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!