“2 things I would change.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

You added Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 72, Carretera Cancun-Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico (Formerly Aventura Cove Palace)   |
Special Price
35% OFF + $1,800 CREDIT
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“2 things I would change.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I along with our 2 children ages 3 and 5 stayed here from Dec.28-Jan.4th. It is a great hotel, but being a family hotel there are 2 things I would change: 1) have a toddler friendly pool, our 3 year old is on the taller size and she could not toug the bottom o the pool, thus we were always on alert. The second things I'd change is the shows that take place at night, have them start at 8 not 9. Overall, we had a great vacation and will consider going back again!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I've stayed at a few of the resorts in the Mayan Riviera and this one had a few big problems. First, the beach is non existent. There's a cove, but no real ability to play around in the sand and swim which is something that is important for most kids (and adults too!). So we ended up having to take a shuttle (you could cab for $20) to another one of their sister hotels. The shuttle only leaves and comes back at one time of the day, and it's first come first serve.
Second, the rooms are WAY too small. When we asked the hotel to allow us to switch they flat out refused, telling us that all the rooms are the same size which turned out to be untrue because there were suites there. Keep in mind, we said that we'd consider paying for an upgrade so the lie was unnecessary. Even if there were none available, then say that, don't say they don't exist when they very clearly do.
Third, the resort credits can also be made very difficult to use -- luckily, we managed to use ours but there is clearly some sort of "class" to them because I watched another guest be told that the spa was completely booked for the whole week so he didn't get to use his at all. I also heard that if you slip them some money that magically some services open up. Not impressed. That being said, the spa was really nice (if you get there of course). I thoroughly enjoyed all my services.
Fourth, the food was average. If you're on the adult side you have more options, but basically on the cove side, you have a choice of buffet, a steak restaurant and a Mexican restaurant. All were pretty decent, but not outstanding.
There was a lot of complaining from guests, overall it was okay, but don't expect a better than average experience. If you get a good deal I'd recommend, but otherwise, there are lots of really good choices for other resorts. It's probably fair to say it's a 4-star, but if you're after a 5-star experience (by Mexican standards) this is not it. I do think the Spa side (the adult side) is nicer and maybe worth exploring if you don't have the kids along. If I had to pick which side to stay on it would definitely be the Spa side from what I saw.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We just returned last night from a week at the Aventura cove palace. It was excellent. teh food was very good (not huge variety) but everything was fresh and delcious. It was much better than I would have expected from an all inclusive. The staff are solovely and go out of their way to make you happy. The kid's club was great. My son had alot of fun and the staff took great care of him. The fire show was really amazing. My kids swam withthe Dolphins wghich they loved. The extra $1500 credit is such a greeat bonus. We iused iot for the dolhphins, a trip to Tulum and spa treatments. If you have a chance to do the couples massage it was like being treated like royalty -totally heavenly. If oyu want a real beach though this is not the place for you. The cove is lovely for kayaking and snorkeling but not wave riding., The staff on the sunwing flights were very nice too. The check in and check out were a bit bumpy. Check in because they had not received ours (and most people fromour flight's reservations. HOwever we got our agent rp on th ephone and had a room quickly. The check out was because they ghda a new system that night. Ideal vacation. Totally relaxing and pampered.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Waterloo, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in mid December with my wife and three kids for 7 days. As well, we had our extended family down as well so it was a large group of 12 people in total.
Everyone was very impressed with the overall impression from the resort. The grounds and facilities are all kept in pretty good condition however they are gearing up for the rebranding over to "Hard Rock Hotel" in the new year. Because of that, I think they will be working on some of the little details that need touch up as they change the decor and update. Rooms are pretty much as expected...I agree with the comments that they could get rid of the big bathtubs in the rooms and add more storage. Rooms are comfortable but are a little dated (maybe that will change with the rebranding).
Meals were excellent for the most part, especially in the traditional Mexican Hacienda restaurant. There was only one meal in one restaurant that was not up to par - otherwise, everything surpassed my expectations. Waiters, waitresses and bar staff were knowledgeable, friendly and generally quick to help make your experience pleasant.
The activities team around the pool made our trip - Victor, Jaquin, Jairo, and Cosme (and others) - were excellent to the kids and our entire group. They were fun, sincere, and generally great people. It was the first time I have left a resort and genuinely felt an attachment to the staff. Great people!
To be fair, the resort was extremely quiet when we were there so it was "easy" to get great service where you weren't competing for the staff's attention or services and there was no line up or delay in restaurants, bars, etc. It would be interesting to see if the experience would be the same in the restaurants and bars during peak season.
As far as the "time share sharks", I don't think we were approached even once during our entire weeks stay...maybe we got lucky!
Overall, I would recommend the resort to families looking for a facility with activities for the kids and good value for the family. I don't know how much will change as a Hard Rock Hotel, but as long as the staff are the same you should enjoy your experience.
Compared to other resorts in the area where we have stayed (Bahia Principe Coba, and Tulum, and Iberostar Tucan) I think this one is still a good choice - as long as you are not paying more than those hotels. So keep your expectations reasonable - the current four star rating is about right for this hotel.
Good luck!

• Stayed December 2011
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We arrived at the Aventuras thanks to an upgrade from the people at Bel Air Xpuha.We spent like 4 days at the resort.

It didn't start great but at the end was worth it. Managment fixed up the issues pretty well.

The place is really a 5 star resort. The rooms are great, clean, nice balconies,all the whistles. Great Service and location. Kayaks and snorkeling are free and there are snorkeling tours that are free as well.

Great Activities during the day and night.

The pool is great, but get there early to reserve a chair. The beach was kind of disappointing. It was enclosed by a barrier and there was no sand.

The food was great if you were going to the restaurants, the buffets were average and the snack bar was very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My husband and I vacationed here for our honeymoon at the end of October. It was amazing. Because we stayed for two weeks, we got to know the staff pretty well. Victor is my favorite in the sports events - if he is running an activity you are guaranteed to have fun! We also had a lot of fun with Cosme and Jairo - they were on the Cove (kid) side a lot while we were there. These three also allowed us to practice our Spanish speaking skills with them. They corrected us when we said something wrong and also taught us some slang phrases - the way a local would say something. I thought that was awesome of them to take the time and have the patience to help us with our Spanish. I also liked Carolina because she would walk with me past the Iguanas. I know it sounds silly but I really did not like the mass of iguanas at the resort - they are everywhere! That is my only complaint. We also had some difficulties with our credits (because we stayed for two weeks) but Josue at the front desk fixed everything for us. I also liked that he remembered us and our names when we came back to check on the issue - he is the guy to go to if you have any problems! Because there are two resorts combined into one location you get twice the resturant and bar options. One of our favorite bars was on the Cove side; it was the Sports Bar. We enjoyed playing pool many nights after dancing like fools upstairs in the disco room. I think I also liked the Sports Bar because our two favorite bar tenders were always nearby - Marco and Freddy. They are awesome and we tried a ton of different shots/drinks that they created. When you go ask Freddy for a "Freddy Especial". One activity that we used our credits on was the Chef Dinner. It is only once a week so make sure you plan accordingly. It was by far the best dinner we had on our honeymoon. You get to watch them prepare the meal on stage in front of you before you eat each course. More than anything, I loved the wine that was paired with this dinner - I wish I could get the same wine back home! We can't wait to return to Puerto Adventuras!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hatteras, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed on the Cove side of the resort for our honeymoon in October. It turned out to be the quieter side of the resort for the time of year we were there. The food was good, the view outstanding and the service excellent. Every morning we woke up to room service breakfast, went to the pool and participated in their activities, then went out for a nice dinner followed by an entertainng show. The Sports/Entertainment staff was awesome. (PS - volleyball and the monkey tours were awesome!) Our favorite was Victor - you can really tell that he loves his job; but who wouldn't wanna hang out at the pool with a bunch of vacationers? We also enjoyed the Hurricane party (Hurricane Rina passed through during our stay) and Carolina, Cosme, and Jairo made it seem like just another normal day at the resort. It was nice to be able to go between the spa and the cove sides depending on our mood. Because we stayed at the Cove side (family side) we had some confusion with our resort credits regarding the spa. We also had some difficulties with the credits regarding outside tours but Geradrdo took very good care of us and answered any questions we had efficiently and effectively. He is the man to talk to if you have a problem! We enjoyed seeing the Maya Ruins (Tulum) and then our day trip in Cozumel (we rented scooters and toured the island) but it was much more relaxing just hanging out at the resort. I definitely preferred Adventura Cove/Spa Palace over the other sister resorts we visited. Because it is two resorts connected you get twice the resturants, twice the service, and twice the opportunities to participate in their daily activities. Even though there was a convention all of their events took place on the spa side and the cove side remained uncrowded. Overall it was an amazing trip and we can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!