“Great hotel, unusual location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin San Luis Potosi

Save Saved
You added The Westin San Luis Potosi to your Saves list
The Westin San Luis Potosi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Real de Lomas No. 1000, San Luis Potosi 78210, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 36 hotels in San Luis Potosi
Sydney
“Great hotel, unusual location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin, which is a beautiful building and the rooms are spectacular. The location is a bit surprising being surrounded by car dealerships and supermarkets but I understand it used to be a green field site and the city has expanded around it. Once inside the location was not an issue. It's a 15-20 minute taxi ride into the historic centre. The staff were really helpful at all times and I thought the restaurant was fine, particularly the breakfast spread. The gym was good and the pool nicely heated.

I would echo the concerns of some of the other reviewers about weddings in the main courtyard. We had one on the Saturday night which went till 4am. They did warn us and offer ear plugs but it does raise a bit of a question in my mind about their responsibility to look after all their customers. If you're going over a weekend, I would check ahead that they don't have any big events planned. If they have.... book elsewhere. Overall we had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This stay prompted me to become a reviewer on Trip Advisor. The hotel used to be a Quinta Real so it is a pretty property but this stay was the Good, Bad and the Ugly with most of it being Bad. We asked to speak to the General Manager several times and he was either not there or we were told he would be calling us which never happend in the whole time we were there from Friday till Monday. We followed up everyday so obviously if you can't reach the General Manager you can understand why the hotel staff is either attentive or completely out to lunch. Even though they are a Starwood property, they are not definitely not up to Starwood standards thus do not expect any type of Starwood standards or amenities as there was nothing "heavenly" about the bed, sheets or experience. Additionally, it's been 8 days and our Starwood points have not been posted to our account.

First the bad, it started upon arrival.
We had called the hotel to confirm the arrival dates and to make sure that my mother in law's room was connecting with ours as we were traveling with our 3 year old daughter and 10 year old niece for the wedding that was being held at the hotel.
When we arrived they had our reservation arriving a day late. They had us in a room with 2 full size beds. My husband explained that on the phone the person said they had rooms with 2 queen size beds but the the person checking us in said they only have full size beds but based on our status they would upgrade us to a Master Suite with a King Size bed. When we asked if we could have a roll away bed for our 3 year old daughter they said they do not have any extra beds in the hotel only cribs. When we asked where do they expect the girls to sleep they replied that their king size beds are very large and all four of us should be able to fit on the bed. In all my years of travel this is the first hotel that does not have roll-away beds or expects 4 people to share a bed. The stated that roll away beds is something that they just don't have at this hotel. I mentioned that I have stayed at a few hotels where if a second room is needed for children/grandparents that they give it a 50% discount. They stated that they do not have that here. We had to settle for a room with 2 full size beds that barely fit my 10 year old niece and 3 year old daughter.

When we finally went up to our room it was not connecting to the room next door and we had to go back down to get it changed. Also, this room was a smoking room, and even though it is stated on our starwood profile and was twice confirmed with the reservations desk that we strictly wanted a non-smoking room, they somehow seem to disregard that most basic of requests. After nearly an hour since our arrival, we were finally given the correct room.

Then we had to request an additional robe as how can they have 1 robe in a room that is allocated for a 4 person occupancy. We had to request additional bath towels since there were only 3 bath and 1 hand towel.

The next day I went to the front desk to ask for a disposable razor and they told me "the store is there you can go buy one". My husband went over to the front desk and told the woman, you don't have any disposable razors, do you have anything like other normal hotels do? She then asked for his room number and said "those amenities are for our guests in suites" My husband replied that we have status with Starwood and we did have a suite but without any roll away beds we had to downgrade to a double room so that our girls don't sleep on the floor and you never even asked my wife what our room number was so that is a lame excuse. Miraculously the razor showed up in our room when we got back upstairs.

We had one dinner at the restaurant and it was our last. We asked for a children's menu which they explained that they did not have one but they could give us the room service menu which we could order from. The restaurant had 3 tables occupied other than our own and it took 1 hour and 20 minutes for the food to arrive. The children were hungry and tired. When we asked what is taking so long since the restaurant was empty they replied that they had many room service requests. We didn't even order anything complicated, pizza, pasta, and bread.

Ugly
When we got in the right room, one the bed's comforter and sheet had a dark streak mark that looked like it might be blood so we had to get them to change the sheets but they did not change the comforter.

The room had an inch of dust on top of the TV cabinet which caused my husband and daugher to cough and sneeze for the 4 days we were there.

The toilet had to get fixed as it was leaking and making noise which they thankfully did address immediately but my husband had to tell them to clean up after themselves and clean it once they were done.

Good
The pool was heated which was really nice as it was a little chilly outside if you weren't in the sun. It also had a sectioned off shallow kiddie pool which was at one end of the pool.
The breakfast was tasty and hot but they serve similar things so if you're staying for a long time that may get boring. I personally can eat the made to order gorditas and quesadillas everyday for breakfast so it didn't bother me. They do have a made to order egg station and a decent selection of items such as chilaquiles, cochinita pibil, potatoes, bacon, pancakes, chicken, breads, carrot cake, banana bread, cereal, fruit, etc.

They have transportation to and from the airport which we only found out the day before we left from another guest so we used it to go to the airport but took a cab to come in.

The person from the hotel that drove us to the airport was SUPER. He was nice, polite, and even stopped at an OXO so we can buy some snacks for the girls for the airport. He was very helpful and helped with our luggage all the way to the inside of the airport.

On a final note, not related to the hotel. There are no seat belts in the back seat of taxi cabs so if like me you have a car seat and want your children to be safe you have to call and specify that you want seatbelts which can take a fairly long time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Highland Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed at this place for the last 3 years and this last one prompted me to write a review, Upon checking in they did not have the suite that I was promised, it all went downhill from there, there was only 1 robe in a suite for four people after much complainning I got a second robe after seven days, room smelled musky/humid not pleasant, the plumbing was not functioning correctly, the coffee makerS did not work ( they must of changed coffeemakers 5 times at my request, the pool water temperature was soo cold I only swam once in a two week stay, the food in the restaurant was aweful my steak was so hard I could not cut it with the sharpest knife, the breakfast buffet has become lame and simple, I hope San Luis Potosi builds another Hotel for us to stay !!!!!

Room Tip: Try not to stay on weekends. You will not sleep until 3:00AM due to loud music
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel to look at once you enter of the pedestrian streets that surround it. Amazing Hacienda architecture, huge ceilings and just an overall pleasant visual experience.

As for the accommodations, this is my 3rd stay here and I have had a basic to a suite. Outside of the size of the room, the experience is similar: good beds with stiff linens; dark rooms; loud hallway traffic; distracted cleaning staff. The remainder of the staff are hit or miss, either very attentive or else distracted once again.

A nice hotel, best I have stayed at yet in San Luis

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Zionsville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have stayed twice over the past two years. Both times, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the rooms spacious and comfortable. The buffet breakfast is excellent, with a omelet bar and a taco bar, fresh fruits, rolls, hot dishes, etc. We have never tried the dining room or room service menu.

The hotel advertises airport shuttle service. When I inquired I was informed that there was one shuttle leaving the next day at 5:00 A.M. So it really wasn't a practical option for an 11:17 flight.

Two years ago, we were subjected to the same intrusion that other reviewers have mentioned, namely a large courtyard wedding party going until 3:00 A.M. It is true that the hotel provides ear stopples, but the pounding bass makes sleeping totally impossible. I find Westin's charging for a room under such conditions unethical. What if a guest had a big business presentation, interview, or examination the next day?

Room Tip: Verify that no courtyard parties are scheduled. Otherwise, find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

As a regular business traveller, it's nice to get every now and then in a hotel with a special character, and The Westin in SLP is one of them, looking like an "hacienda" with a nice inner patio.
The staff was very helpful & professional, the breakfast quite ok and the room spacious, but there are a few issues the traveller should be aware of:
- The rooms in the third floor can get very noisy. I believe the Airco motors were just over my ceiling and its noise didn't let me sleep at all the first night, then I moved to the ground floor and it all was ok
- The bathroom is not practical, the counter too small and with a useless plant taking most of the space. The shower courtains would better fit in the bedroom than in the bathroom
- On the weekends there are often parties & marriages. Luckily the staff made me aware of that and I checked out on Saturday instead of on Sunday, otherwise I would have "enjoyed" life music till 3:00 (funny I got a letter on my room mentioning that I could get earplugs at the reception, as if that would help) ...

Tip for runners: The gym is open 24h. Has just 2 treadmills, one of which wasn't working particularly well, so being early "enough" is the message

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor (airco noise)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tecumseh, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel with wonderful architecture and huge well appointed rooms.
It is my 1st choice hotel in San Luis Potosi.
However, the food choices and quality in the Restaurant are just awful making this my last choice dining option. They really need to address this as it drags down the reputation of what is otherwise an excellent hotel.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to The Westin San Luis Potosi? Share your experiences!