“Fantastic weekend get away!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tesoro Ixtapa

Save Saved
You added Tesoro Ixtapa to your Saves list
Tesoro Ixtapa
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Ixtapa s/n Lote 5, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Greenville, South Carolina
“Fantastic weekend get away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

The Tesoro is an older property with a prime location mid beach. There were plenty of tours, shows, activities to choose from. We opted to parasail and see a dolphin show at the Delfiniti. The resort was all inclusive with a range of food at the buffet, that even my picky children enjoyed eating. We often sat in the open air overlooking the pool. A more elegant dining environment was also provided with lobster, shrimp and steak. The hotel was very child friendly with a pool featuring different depths and shallow penisulas. Ixtapa is beautiful and we had a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

450 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

This hotel is a two star hotel, who have paid off who ever rates hotels in Mexico and Clams to have 4 stars. There are much better options in Ixtapa, I would only recommend that you stay at this hotel if you are really short on cash. If you are use to a nice place, you will become upset quickly with this sorry property. Trust me I would know, my family owns a condo in the Tesoro buliding. Pedro and Bravo are the best part of the hotel, a woman who lives year round at the Tesoro walks around with these two dogs every day.

Room Tip: Stay at a Villa, they are not owned by the hotel, but it is your best bet if you must stay here
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Freeport, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We just got back from a 4 apple mystery and they placed us in the Tesaro. First the good points. Nice pool, food was as expected for Mexico, beautiful weather and the Tesaro is #4 in the rows of hotels on a beautiful beach. The room was clean, but had trouble getting towles and wash clothes. Now for the bad part. They took out the swim-up bar 4 years ago, due to the locals not using the bathroom. beer was OK if you like Sol. Day-pass locals were there most days, with lots of kids. If you were unlucky to get a room at 3rd floor or below, you were in for alot of sleepless nights. If you get a choice spend the extra money and upgrade. We were disappointed, but made the most of the vacation. Hope this helps any other traveler. Bear fan from Illinois.

Room Tip: Up grade to another resort
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012 via mobile

We are on our vacation as I type this. First they dont have a swimup bar. The food is garbage, if you can get any. They dont stock your room with beer. They only have one pool that is full of screaming kids. They said they were having a beach party, but they didnt have food. Spend a little more and stay at the Sunscape.

• Stayed March 2012
Buffalo, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We just got back from several weeks at theTesoro Ixtapa and had a wonderful time. I have stayed at many of the hotels in Ixtapa and they all have their good points and bad. I must say the Tesoro is not a 5 star hotel but the service is a 5 strar. The hotel is older but kept very clean, they all seem to pitch in and pick up any litter or dirty dishes that is laying around (including the captains) which makes you believe that they all take pride in their hotel. The food is just fine I could always find somthing I liked on the buffet. The rooms are a little older looking, our room was nice size and kept very clean. The pool music is a little to loud but if you ask them to turn it down they would. The hit at the pool seems to be the bingo game with the large dice. The drinks are ok they are not top shelf but again its not a 5 star hotel. They have only a couple of bars but you never had to wait to get a drink because the service is so wonderful. Hats off to the waiters out side they run in the sand to bring drinks to anyone sitting on the beach and I mean run. The entire hotel seems to be like a big happy family. I dont want to forget about the lady who lives their year round with her dogs Bravo and pedro they are therapy to those who miss their dogs while on vacation, most all of the visitors seem to enjoy them. I will return to Ixtapa and the Tesoro.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Was there beginng of mars, they have allinclusive for one day and during the week-end, full of mexican kids in the pool. they clean the room in three part a day, so it's impossible to have a rest in the room during the afternoon, the buffet is always a recomposition of the day before and the rooms have poor insulation and are very noisy

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We are currently staying at the Tesoro as I am typing this note. I read all of the reviews and none of were comprehensive. Since I am a early riser and I have time to write, I will cover the entire facility from top to bottom.

About us. We have vacationed in Mexico upwards of 50 times. When I rent something I want value and "good enough". Tesoro is exactly this sort of hotel. Overall it is "good enough". No matter what you read it isn't a dump nor is it an incredible hotel. We rented 3 rooms "all inclusive" for 5 people for $300 per night (TOTAL for all 5 adults and 3 rooms total). Later we rented a condo from an owner on vrbo for $175 a night (3 BR) but didn't buy the all inclusive plan. IF you attempt to buy the all inclusive fee at the condo it costs $4500 peso per person and 1/2 off for kids under 12. Work the math. You are much better shape to rent a hotel room if you want all-inclusive (check around for the best rates).

The Hotel: Built in the mid 90's, the hotel was designed around the large pool. That means the walk to your room will not be very close other than if you rent a owners condo right up front. If you do that, you will pay too much for the caliber of the facility. The condo we rented wasn't one of those better views or locations. Some floors are exclusively hotel rooms, other floors are timeshare while the top floors and the condo's up front are year round owners.
The construction is concrete walls with average quality materials. The rooms use that typical cheap Mexican grey marble. It works.

The View: Most rooms don't have a good ocean view. Even in the condo on the 6th floor, the view is weak at best. Note: the 3 hotel rooms that we rented was on the 1st floor nbd we could not see the ocean. I didn't mind because we only paid $300 for 3 rooms all inclusive for 5 people. CHEAP!! During lobby events, we were disturbed. Get on the 2nd floor or higher.

Rooms:: Typical HARD Mexican mattresses are what you get to lay on. Linens were clean and the room was spacious. Again for most room layouts, don't expect a view of the ocean worth mentioning..They stock the fridge with 5 sodas every day. You are also allowed one room service per day. The room service food was fresh and I was impressed (B+). The room cleanliness was fine. But the room did show wear-and-tear. It was 85 today and humid. The air on all of our rooms kept up but you cannot get it cold.

Lobby: The quality of construction was decent but certainly not elegant. WiFi is the lobby is included for free but it was down all week. We had to buy a weeks wifi for $200 peso's. That was good for emails but many times it got extremely SLOW. When you buy this (slow) wifi it works in the room. The code you buy is only good on ONE computer (other than in the free lobby) They are staffed with 4-5 people at the front desk.

Maintenance: They could afford to replace a few hallway doors as the doors are beat-up. Other than that, I see them sweeping and cleaning the floor all day.

Security: Excellent. It's gated and they have 6 people working in security during the day.

Food: I've been to Palace Resorts in Cancun (Moon Palace, Cancun Palace etc). You cannot compare these two all inclusive facilities. The selection is a fraction of one of those deluxe all inclusive resorts. Here you have one main sit down area, one out door snack type restaurant, and a more formal "to order" style restaurant. The outdoor restaurant is just a spot of burgers and fries with a taco and condiments. It's open from noon to 6. Nothing fancy and I'd give it a letter grade C. The fancier sit down restaurant is limited to one meal per week but they will easily break this rule. The quality was very good and the service was exceptional. Letter grade A-. The main area has breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfasts are very good (letter grade B+) with a decent selection. As good as any breakfast buffet you are use to. The lunch and dinner are a letter grade B. Some things taste pretty good while other items are just "food", No one complained and if you read otherwise, they were just picky eaters.

Drinks: I'd give them a letter grade C-. The booze is bottom shelf. When you squeeze alcohol plastic bottle, you know that you are in trouble, The juices are sugar base. I'm a beer drinker and they serve Sol light and dark. It's o.k (letter grade B). But worse than the cheap booze is some cheap sweetener that they use. I cannot put my finger on it but I heard several people complain (maybe a cheap sweat-and-low)?. Wines tasted like $3-5 bottles. Forget about ordering it. I'm not pompous (we drank it) and for the rate that we paid, I could not expect top shelf but the fu-fu drinks were tough to drink because of that sweetener. Keep in mind my adult daughter drank her unfairshare and just dealt with it. My wife converted to rum and diets and that was good enough.

Beach: It's deep, level and AWESOME. Not Cancun but Cancun doesn't have a mountain backdrop either like Ixtapa does. It was like a more impressive Mazatlan. I LOVED to see the mountains as a side and backdrop. I was awestruck. The sand is soft with gently waves. Not too many vendors. An O.K. massage for $1500 Peso's (1 hour) on the beach.

The Area: Close to all the restaurants and shops that you would need. The town has a sleepy feeling to it. Much cleaner and quieter than Cancun and A LOT more beautiful.

Service: One word. As good as any Mexican resort. I got the sincere feeling they were trying very hard.

Entertainment: It was o.k. (letter grade C). They worked hard to please but it was pretty weak. I was thinking that the show in the parking lot would be odd but it actually worked. Not a lot of activities by the pool which I was fine with.

So in summary, we would definitely return to Ixtapa and plan on it. We would not rent an owners condo here but would re-book for the rate that we paid. Now if they didn't have great rates, I might go for a spot with a better view. So for the money, it was a no brainer. I didn't see ANY of the things those who rated it as a 1 or 2. Trip Advisor needs something inbetween "average" and "very good". That's where I would rate my experience; "good".

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. Stay off of the 1st floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tesoro Ixtapa? Share your experiences!