“Endless sunshine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emporio Ixtapa

Save Saved
You added Emporio Ixtapa to your Saves list
Emporio Ixtapa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Ixtapa s/n | Zona Hotelera, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Endless sunshine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We loved the beach! We could walk along the sand for a long stretch. Very family oriented. Loved the sunset restaurant where we could watch the sun go down while we have a cocktail. Very relaxing. Restaurants are a convenient walk from the hotel. Prices are very reasonable. Good food

Room Tip: Rooms are small but clean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kalisz, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hotel is rather old. It is very much visible in rooms furnishing. Rooms should be renovated at least few years ago. Good kitchen. Very rich offer for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Terrible service in the restaurants if you have option all inclusive - they first serve clients who pay for thier drinks and latter guests with all inclusive option. If you want to order white wine they say there is only red and vice versa. Finally when you manage your order you wait for it easly 20-30 min so you get your wine when you almost finished your main course. I had very bad quarel with the staff one night. It was very frustrating and spoiled whole evening. After all it is very average hotel. I wooul not rcomend it. There are newr and better lopking places at that beach.

• Stayed April 2013
Claudia M, Public Relations Manager at Emporio Ixtapa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Much appreciate your comments regarding your stay last April. In advance we want to apologize if our service did not meet your expectations, because of his comments are taking up the matter and sincerely hope gives us the opportunity in the near future to regain your confidence in Emporio Ixtapa.
Whittier, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

ThIs particular hotel is part of a timeshare property that my mother and father in law have visited every year for 2 weeks since 1989. My husband and I have visited for the past 3 years and have never had any complaints. The property is central to all restaurants, beautiful high end boutique shops, mercado souvenir shops and is located directly on the beach. The hotel has its own open air restaurant that serves wonderful food and also an evening sunset buffet out near the beach, serving a variety of delicious dishes.

The rooms are simple and can use a little upgrading but are cleaned and refreshed daily. Some rooms offer a little kitchenette with a microwave and fridge which makes it nice for occasional meals in. The TV's offer numerous American stations when you return after a long but relaxing day in the sun.

The pool is large with a swim up bar and a smaller pool is also available with a slide for smaller children. The beach area has brand new palapas (shaded palm frons) that accommodate 3 reclining beach chairs each.....at least 30 or more palapas are available at no extra cost.

The location is really one of its greatest assets....everything you need is walking distance and a small market just down the street offers everything you need to makes sandwiches, buy fruit, veggies, dairy products....etc. An Italian Gelato shop across the street offers some of the greatest ice cream around as well as Franks Restaurant and Grill serving up the best fish and Italian dishes...being Italian I am very particular....the meals at Franks including his lobster pizza is to die for.

We really enjoy our time at Emporio Ixtapa....every time we visit....

Room Tip: If possible get a room with a view of the ocean....the sunsets are magnificent and the view of the s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
We appreciate the time you have taken to give us your feedback about your stay in April last.
It is a great pleasure to be the third time that we visit and every time discover all the benefits that gives the part of the Family Emporio, we give our best to make your vacation memorable and enjoyable as possible.
We hope to return soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed from Tuesday to the following Monday in a Superior Ocean View room and included the breakfast option. The room was plain but clean and fresh - it would have been nice to have at least one comfortable chair. The bed was very comfortable (but I like firm beds). The bathroom was very nice with a walk-in shower (no tub), which was perfect for me. Shower head was about due for replacement, but it wasn't terrible.

The breakfast buffet was great - everything imaginable with juices, breads, yogurts, fruit, cereals - and at least 5 or 6 hot dishes (all the fixings to make your own chilaquiles, frijoles, a different meat in a sauce - chicken, pork, bbq beef - each day, hotcakes or french toast, hash browns or roasted potatoes). Plus an egg station where a cook will fix you eggs any way you like with lots of omelet ingredient options. She was also making quesadillas. It was a great breakfast, but given that the daily rate was $20 more than without it, it would have been a lot cheaper to have just gone across the street to one of the many restaurants. But the setting is lovely - right on the beach and by the pool. And it was all very good food.

I didn't do the full all-inclusive plan because I like to go to different restaurants, and I'm glad I did. I never did eat dinner at the hotel, but the beachfront outdoor buffet looked pretty nice. Right across the street from the hotel is a fairly significant "mall" of restaurants, shops, bars, banks. All the places I ate at were decent, some better than others - some more entertaining. I also went to Zihuatanejo for dinner and the place I went was excellent - tables on the sand beside the bay out on Playa la Ropa: "Paty's Mirador." I'll review that, too.

The hotel was pretty quiet and laid back during the week, then filled up with Mexican families who had come to the beach for the weekend from Mexico City or Morelia or anywhere, I guess. I think I liked the quiet better, but that's me. It was never out of control or felt crowded - just sometimes a lot of young children. I'm 65 and single, so tend to like it quiet.

I'm a beach person so never went in the pool, but it looked lovely and fun - with a swim-up bar. The beach was great - plenty of big palapas with 3 chaise lounges under each one - three rows deep going back from the beach - always plenty of room. I think the waiters on the beach were only there on the weekend - I don't think I saw them earlier in the week. Having a drink or two and an order of nachos for lunch, delivered to your chair on the beach is my idea of a nice day. Food/drink prices were reasonable, I thought.

My experience with all of the staff was excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful and efficient, especially at check-in and check-out. The housekeeping staff keeps the whole place spotless.

I think my only suggestion would be to provide complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings. The coffee for the coffee makers in the room was horrible, so I only made a pot of that once. The only other coffee option (that I could see, anyway) was to go into the dining room and have coffee with breakfast. A couple of mornings I would have rather sat around with a couple of cups of good coffee first before going in to eat.

Oh, other issue was the WiFi. It really only worked for me in the lobby and by the pool. There was a signal in my room, but it was so "poor" that I could never really get connected.

All in all, I had a very nice time and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Oceanfront on the south side are the best. The north side faces the Dorado which seems to have loud...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for giving us your review about your stay last March.
It really is quite pleasant to read this kind of comments because it tells us we're doing a good job and at the same time encourages us to continue in the continuous improvement of our daily work.
The option you choose only breakfast was very good as you could get a little of our surroundings and also compare our product and realize that as far as prices are within the area costs and in terms of quality we have comparison.
We hope to continue to have your kind preference to provide exceptional service.
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Emporio Hotel was a fantastic place to stay for our first trip to Ixtapa! I will be back! The staff was wonderful, the rooms were clean, the beds were comfy and the pool/beach was awesome! So many great restaurants just across the street! The sunset BBQ at the hotel was delicious and you can't beat the beautiful sunset each night! You can not beat the location!

Room Tip: Ocean view!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Claudia M, Public Relations Manager at Emporio Ixtapa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your stay last March.
It is our pleasure to provide care and and above all we have met your expectations. The Hotel has many points in its favor, one of which is that we are on the beach and our special rooms have the most spectacular view of the bay, we are also at the center of Ixtapa, so lets meet and enjoy all the places around us.
We gladly hope the day you return to let us pamper you again.
Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

it is so hard to pick a hotel from reviews. this one has a great location--right in the heart of ixtapa. the bus to zihuatenejo is right in fromt of the hotel and only costs 9 pesos. the bus to playa linda is right across the street and is 6.5 pesos. the staff could not be more friendly. for the price I paid I could not ask for more.

Room Tip: prices vary according to provider. my room faced the driveway and was quiet. emporio is an establis...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your stay last March.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us entirely, the perfect location Emporio allowed to know the surrounding areas without any problem by adding security that exists in the area.
We hope your sooner way back to your Home in Mexico, Emporio Ixtapa.
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We originally wrote a review while at the resort - Trip Advisor questioned my review which I am glad they did - it made me stop and rethink about what we wrote. We arrived at the hotel - which we have stayed at before - and requested to upgrade to an ocean view room. Done - no problem - $20 day upgrade which is well worth it. First night great - second morning my husband and I woke up covered in bites. Unsure of what they were we spoke to the front desk. We were informed they were mosquito bites and that they would spray our room, including the mattress and change all linens. Seemed a bit odd but if it got rid of whatever was biting us we would be happy. We did ask if we could change rooms, but it would mean moving from 9th floor to 3rd floor and we would lose the awesome view we had upgraded to. So we chose not to move. Next morning, more bites - I again returned to the front desk and requested to be moved - apparently they now had a room on the 8th floor (a corner unit with the most amazing view) - which by the way had not been used in a while - the fridge was not plugged in nor was it stocked with the mini bar items. Each day we had to request water (which we were entitled to) and coffee which we were charged $2.00 a day for. I gave up on the verbal requests and started to drop notes off to the front desk which seemed to work much better. Upon check out we were presented a bill with $0 owing. They dropped the upgrade charge which we appreciated immensely. We love this property but at the beginning of the week we were prepared to never return - by the end of the week we can't wait to rebook. This property is one of the smaller ones with beautiful grounds and well worth the visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay last March.
It is our pleasure to welcome all of your comments, positive and / or negative about your stay with us because that we realize the service that we are providing. Unfortunately on this occasion you suffered the bite of mosquitoes, this is a place with a warm-humid has said insects, I think it was favorable your room change and we are glad that your stay has improved considerably, but we like us more the fact that you cannot wait to return back.

Been to Emporio Ixtapa? Share your experiences!