“My hotel in Ixtapa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo De Las Palmas Esq | Agua, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
“My hotel in Ixtapa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This is the second time I stay here and I'm very satisfied with the service and the attention I received from the staff. The Front Desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to book my next trip in this Property.

• Stayed November 2010

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

This is a great hotel and offers a real "Mexico Holiday" experience. The rooms are not fancy, but clean, neat and air conditioned. It's every thing you'd expect in a Holiday Inn. They have a complimentary business center and a really nice pool with swim up bar and pool service. There are not many Americans at this hotel. They are two blocks away at the big all-inclusive resorts where they like to pack you in and keep you there. You'll see mostly Mexicans on Holiday at this hotel. I just loved to sit by the pool all day and get my frosty beverages you can say Rum Punch right?" and snacks and soak in the sun. That seems to be what many of the hotel guests did as well. Don't get any meal plan. There is a shopping plaza about one block from the hotel with a huge variety of quality restaurants and shops with Mexican prices. The beach is only a 2 block walk away if you prefer sun and sand. They offer tours of the area via the hotel concierge. The staff speak broken English so really not a problem if you don't speak Spanish. Most of the restaurants near by have staff who speak English. Our entire stay for 3 nights with alcoholic beverages and food pool side was less than $450.00 for both of us. If you want Mexico this is it!

• Liked — It's proximity to inexpensive food, drink and beach.
  • Disliked — The work out room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Farmington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

I had seen mostly mediocre reviews (and one really sour one) before arriving. My experience in Ixtapa was one of the best holidays I've had in the last few years. Here's why...

This hotel isn't right on the beach, but that's accessible a number of ways (Ixtapa is more of a commercial loop than a town) and you're not paying a fortune for a view of the ocean.

While many "all-inclusive" resorts and hotels tend to start with splendid service and then taper off halfway to three fourths of the way through your stay, the service and staff at the Holiday Inn remained excellent until we said our final "adios" on our last Sunday. The food bar isn't quite as huge as the 4-5 star joints, but the food was excellent and actually did change from night to night. I'd rather have a little variety in my selection than stare at the same "ice swan" carving night after night while the canteloupe gets stale.

I've travelled through four continents and this is one of the few foreign hotels I've stayed at where the water pressure and temperature are good and the water stays inside the shower stall. Did I mention free internet with the all-inclusive package?

Worth the money in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo:
1) Fishing - we left early, spent an hour waiting in the gulf then bagged two, six foot sailfish one after the other. It took me about 15 minute to land mine, then my daughter took 10 minutes to land hers. A local restaurant prepared it for us (see below). Cost: about $120/person not including taxi.

2) Swedish massage - $35.00 for one hour. Wow! (At the hotel)

3) Parasailing - $25.00 for a 10 minute ride - just remember to get your butt way back in the sling before takeoff or you'll feel like you're sliding out of the harness 300 feet up.
They launch and recover you on dry land so I did this in my street clothes. During the ride my hands were free to take some nice photos.

Now the beach: About a 10 minute walk from the Holiday. Our tour guide "arranged" for us to use the palapas (umbrella w/ table) at an associated, beach hotel but I was uncomfortable as soon as I saw hotel security eject two families (who were guests at that hotel) for lack of palapas reservation. I was much happier just paying about $20 for a palapa at the public beach. In Ixtapa there are vendors on the beach but they don't pester you to death every second like they did in Manzanillo two years ago.

If you want to go out to eat (instead of the hotel) try the 'El Arborito' restaurant in the middle of the 'fleamarket and mall' area between the Holiday Inn and the beach area. Their cook prepared our sailfish three different ways, it was incredible and the tab for four people came to less than $50, including the tip! This is the kind of place Rick Steves would find if he wrote about Ixtapa.

If you're bumming around and want a "brunch" try the chips and guac at that restaurant, with a corona beer (with a piece of lime of course) and top it off with their fried banana. Superb!

Taxis are fairly cheap, averaging about $5 for a 15 minute ride to the marina and fishing in Zihuatanejo (which is the real town).

Any downers here? Not really, although their check-in is around 3pm, so if your flight gets there in the morning you may be walking around the pool and bar area for awhile.

Oh, also, if you've never had a trophy fish mounted, be prepared for major sticker shock! I was going to mount mine but the best offer I could get was "only" $500.00 - down! (out of $1100-1200) and that doesn't include shipping. Needless to say, neither my daughter or I opted to mount our trophies.

But those are little things...

I would recommend this hotel and town to anyone thinking about Mexico.

One more thing: All of the key people (concierge, headwaiter, maitre 'd, etc.) at the hotel do speak pretty good English so communication was never a problem with us, even though I'm the most "fluent" one in Spanish - about 10 tourist phrases, total.

Stayed December 2008
Syracuse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

Spent a very nice 4 day vacation here following a business trip to Mexico. Hotel is fairly new, clean, staff seemed pretty friendly, English limited but enough to get by. Nice pool, rooms OK. 2 blocks from beach, but we had a car, so no problem. Rates are lower because not waterfront (we paid $81/night US, but that might have been a last minute deal). Public access for Ixtapa beach is ~2-3 pleasant easy blocks away. Very close (1-2 blocks) for restaurants & shopping. With a car, this was a perfect base for exploring the area - under 10 minutes to Zihuatanejo (but parking there is a pain, consider bus or taxi), 15 minutes to Isla Ixtapa. Zihua has terrific beaches, Ixtapa Beach is fine for sun & sand, nothing special beyond that. Would recommend this hotel to friends if beachfront location is not a priority. Occasional hotel meals are OK, esp breakfast, but do not recommend all-inclusive, because better & cheaper meals are close, inexpensive, and good. (Mamma Norma's for breakfast, Maria Bonita or Laguna for dinner, anywhere with guacamole & ceviche for lunch!) Same goes for most of the hotels there. You're missing half the enjoyment if you stay in the hotel or on the hotel beachfront.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, friendly
  • Disliked — A bit off the beach route
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

We spent Christmas and New Year 08 at the Holiday Inn Ixtapa. The hotel is new and clean. It is about two blocks from the beach. It is close to the market, shops, and many restaurants. We purchased an all inclusive package. This was supposed to include tips, however, staff still expected tips and service declined when you didn't tip. The pool side service was extremely poor. We figured this was due to the fact we were all-inclusive. Others who paid their tab received good service. The meals in the ONE restaurant were horrible. Even the Mexicans who were staying there would not eat the Mexican food out on the buffet. One morning there was GREY liver and onions on the buffet. After about 3 days we were sick of the food. We did however find many good restaurants nearby, Pizza, Seafood, Burgers, Italian, ect. The pool was fair with a swim up bar.
We took advantage of the shuttle to the beach club and free taxis to two other beaches. Also close to bus route. Front desk staff were helpful and pleasant. All in all it was average but we would probably not stay there again. There are many hotels to choose from and many closer to the beach with more to offer. If you are just looking for a bed to sleep then you might like the price of this one.

• Disliked — FOOD
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

My fiancé and I have been traveling to various parts of Mexico for nearly 20 years. We decided to spend a portion of our Christmas/New Years vacation in Ixtapa this year. We had been to Ixtapa numerous times over the last 6 years and felt it would be a good slow way to break into our vacation, which would ultimately end up in Manzanillo. As we began researching hotels in June ’07 we became a bit surprised to find most hotels we were already booked in Ixtapa. While using several of the Internet hotel broker websites we settled on the Holiday Inn, even though we had never stayed there before. Have been to Ixtapa so many times were felt the hotel was probably one of the nicer Holiday Inns and since all they had was Executive King Suites remaining for $260/night, we concluded the room would probable be spectacular regardless. Typically we only reserve a Standard Room, which is normally more than generous in Mexican hotels.
As our taxi drove to the hotel we first noted how far off the beaten path and away from the beach we were. We arrived at the Holiday Inn, were checked in and escorted to our room by the Bell Boy. As we entered the room we immediately questioned the Bell Boy if there was a mistake, as we had paid for an Executive King Suite. In his broken English he assured us (special for you sort-a thing) we were in their finest suite and it was a fantastic room. My fiancé and I looked at each other in amazement when we noted the room barely consisted of a small bed, bathroom and old TV. There was no kitchenette, refrigerator, etc. which we were sure a room classified as an Executive King Suite would surely have. Questioning the Bell Boy’s information, I then called the front desk and after being passed around to numerous people who could understand English, was assured we were in the proper room (suite). Even though we were severely disappointed, we decided to settle in and deal with the hand we had been dealt, understanding this was Mexico and being swindled was nothing new.
As we settling in we found the bathroom sink did not have water. We called the front desk, were passed around again, and eventually were assured a maintenance person would come up shortly to repair. Eventually a maintenance man (Mr. Manual) appeared and disassembled the sink to find the calcium build up deposits were so heavy it had blocked the spouts opening, which he eventually repaired.
As we prepared for bed that night we noted several cigarette burn holes in the beds comforter. Becoming suspicions, we flipped over the comforter and found it was disgustingly dirty with large smudges of what looked like dried blood and feces. This immediately was flung onto the floor, housekeeping was called, however never showed up after several request for a new clean replacement. We slept with our clothes on from their forward. The next morning my fiancé and I woke up discovering dozens of red splotches on our arms and legs, which we can only assume were bed bugs. A trip to the store for bug repellant was the obvious next choice as we questioned whether the hotel would fumigate the room or not, even if we demanded it.
The next day we decided to go check out the beach. After a 15-20 minute walk we found ourselves attempting to access the beach through one of the hotels on the beach. We were immediately approached by a hotel employee who informed us the beach access was for their hotel guest and we needed to move on. As we strolled down the beach we attempted to get a drink/food at several of the hotels and found that they were all inclusive and did not accept payment by cash or credit card. We only found one hotel (Krystal) which was a mix of all inclusive and regular option, who allowed us to buy a drink and have a bite. We concluded that Ixtapa has been moving towards the all inclusive model over they years and if you are staying at a hotel off the beaten path (which we were), access to the beach was nearly impossible.
After a few days we were still attempting to make light of the horrible hotel conditions. Heading back to the room we went to the elevator (which was broken and would only stop on select floors) and noticed maids cleaning another room. After peaking inside we noticed a large open room which looked like a magnificent suite. We soon realized that we had been jerked around and were in a standard room while indeed three were actual suites in the hotel. I called the Hotels General Manager and was informed if we wanted to move to this room we would have to pay $315/night, rather than the $260/night we were already paying. This was absurd since we were already paying for a suite, however they pretended not speak English so good when I became a bit confrontational. I wanted to check out of the hotel, however since I had booked and already paid (in full) for the room on Hotelsbycity.net, we would loose our entire $2080 + tax. Again, my fiancé and I decided to ignore the horrible hotel and go drink margaritas until it didn’t bother us anymore. Later on in our stay we met the local Mexican couple who check into the large suite and found they were only paying $120/night, which they felt was absurd. When we shared the cost of our little card box of a room, they quickly became quit and realized they had been given the “locals” price and the Green-Go’s were being raped.
Next to the pool there was a cabana which advertised various types of massages. We decided this may be a way to reduce our frustration and booked two Swedish Deep Tissue massages. My fiancé asked me later if I had actually received a deep tissue and we both concluded that we had barely received a surface tissue massage. OK we move on and decided to catch some rays by the pool. We were then entertained by a local family removing their baby’s diaper and washing the little boy’s behind in the pool before they left for the day!! Living in style!!!
The next day we booked a sunset sail and met a couple who were staying at the Las Brisas hotel. When we began talking about how horrible our hotel was they were both astounded by our story. When we mentioned what were paying, they reluctantly informed us they were paying the same for a beautiful, ocean view, suite which was “all inclusive”. They had also traveled in/out of Mexico for nearly 20 years and found their hotel was one of the best they had ever stayed at and well priced for what they had received. This was like poring salt into an open wound for my fiancé and I.
When we woke the next morning we found the water supply line to the hotel had broken and then entire hotel was without water. At this point we could no longer be surprised and simple shook our head and called our new friend, Manual the maintenance man, who we were getting to know so well! Water was restored later on in the day with minimal pressure.
After we had returned from our activities the following day I noticed one of the bed side lamps wouldn’t come on. I pulled out the night stand and found it was unplugged from the wall. Seemed simple enough to plug back in, however as I inserted the power plug into the wall receptacle, blue sparks began to fly, a small little explosion occurred and all went dark. I had seen a small break panel in the makeshift closet earlier and went to flip the breaker, however nothing occurred. It was time to call our buddy the maintenance man, Manual again. After attempting the same room breakers again, he had to the main hotel breaker box and reinstate the power. At this point I assumed I had knocked out power to the entire hotel while plugging in the lamp. Our buddy Manual came back to the room and found the wall socket wiring was shorted out, however he carefully plugged in lamp and left the room. We then prayed there wouldn’t be an electrical fire in the night due to this magnificent wiring!
The next day my fiancé and I left for Manzanillo and never looked back. When we arrived in Manzanillo we toasted saying “now we can begin our vacation”! We will NEVER stay at the Holiday Inn in Ixtapa again and would suggest anyone else considering staying there really think it through! It’s a joke of a hotel, which is poorly managed and simple over priced!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

I'm planning my next vacation and find reviews very helpful so I thought I should write about my stay at this hotel. The hotel itself is very clean, the food was good, but I'm not picky at all, my girlfriend and sister got bored with it after day 2. The burgers taste like A&W Teen burgers. The only problem with our stay was that it was also the time when Mexicans were staying here. I'm not saying that I don't like Mexicans, we actually met a few and were over at their house for supper and everyone outside of the resort was very pleasant. The problem was that the ones who were staying at the hotel thought that there needs should come before non-mexican travelers, and the staff seemed to agree with them. I'm not the kind of person who had one incident and am now blowing it out of proportion. I'm not sure if they were locals or if they'd traveled from other parts of mexico but they were the most rude people I've met. I've been to the Dominican and found that Americans are arrogant but these people take the cake. They'd push in front of you at the buffet and try to order drinks while you were giving the bartender your order. They'd talk spanish to the staff and then have a good laugh and get what they wanted, not sure if it was a good thing but my girlfriend speaks spanish and knew that they were usually always laughing at our expense. I had a great time, but it was sunny every day and the pool bartender was excellent, he had a new 'special' drink for me every morning when the pool bar opened. One consisted of about 5 oz of tequila, 3 oz of clamato juice and a dash of lime, it actually wasn't that bad. I was impressed that they had Clamato Juice, it wasn't that good, but you could still make a decent ceasar. We brought our own rimmer and spices. If the deal was right and not at the same time of year I'd definetly stay here, it's not beach front but most of the resorts were on a public beach anyways. No night life at resort but If you really went looking you could definetly find something.

• Liked — The hotel was in great shape
  • Disliked — The service was lacking
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel? Share your experiences!