“WORST Hotel Ever after Visiting Mexico Nearly 20 Years” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo De Las Palmas Esq | Agua, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Seattle, Washington
“WORST Hotel Ever after Visiting Mexico Nearly 20 Years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

My fiancé and I have been traveling to various parts of Mexico for nearly 20 years. We decided to spend a portion of our Christmas/New Years vacation in Ixtapa this year. We had been to Ixtapa numerous times over the last 6 years and felt it would be a good slow way to break into our vacation, which would ultimately end up in Manzanillo. As we began researching hotels in June ’07 we became a bit surprised to find most hotels we were already booked in Ixtapa. While using several of the Internet hotel broker websites we settled on the Holiday Inn, even though we had never stayed there before. Have been to Ixtapa so many times were felt the hotel was probably one of the nicer Holiday Inns and since all they had was Executive King Suites remaining for $260/night, we concluded the room would probable be spectacular regardless. Typically we only reserve a Standard Room, which is normally more than generous in Mexican hotels.
As our taxi drove to the hotel we first noted how far off the beaten path and away from the beach we were. We arrived at the Holiday Inn, were checked in and escorted to our room by the Bell Boy. As we entered the room we immediately questioned the Bell Boy if there was a mistake, as we had paid for an Executive King Suite. In his broken English he assured us (special for you sort-a thing) we were in their finest suite and it was a fantastic room. My fiancé and I looked at each other in amazement when we noted the room barely consisted of a small bed, bathroom and old TV. There was no kitchenette, refrigerator, etc. which we were sure a room classified as an Executive King Suite would surely have. Questioning the Bell Boy’s information, I then called the front desk and after being passed around to numerous people who could understand English, was assured we were in the proper room (suite). Even though we were severely disappointed, we decided to settle in and deal with the hand we had been dealt, understanding this was Mexico and being swindled was nothing new.
As we settling in we found the bathroom sink did not have water. We called the front desk, were passed around again, and eventually were assured a maintenance person would come up shortly to repair. Eventually a maintenance man (Mr. Manual) appeared and disassembled the sink to find the calcium build up deposits were so heavy it had blocked the spouts opening, which he eventually repaired.
As we prepared for bed that night we noted several cigarette burn holes in the beds comforter. Becoming suspicions, we flipped over the comforter and found it was disgustingly dirty with large smudges of what looked like dried blood and feces. This immediately was flung onto the floor, housekeeping was called, however never showed up after several request for a new clean replacement. We slept with our clothes on from their forward. The next morning my fiancé and I woke up discovering dozens of red splotches on our arms and legs, which we can only assume were bed bugs. A trip to the store for bug repellant was the obvious next choice as we questioned whether the hotel would fumigate the room or not, even if we demanded it.
The next day we decided to go check out the beach. After a 15-20 minute walk we found ourselves attempting to access the beach through one of the hotels on the beach. We were immediately approached by a hotel employee who informed us the beach access was for their hotel guest and we needed to move on. As we strolled down the beach we attempted to get a drink/food at several of the hotels and found that they were all inclusive and did not accept payment by cash or credit card. We only found one hotel (Krystal) which was a mix of all inclusive and regular option, who allowed us to buy a drink and have a bite. We concluded that Ixtapa has been moving towards the all inclusive model over they years and if you are staying at a hotel off the beaten path (which we were), access to the beach was nearly impossible.
After a few days we were still attempting to make light of the horrible hotel conditions. Heading back to the room we went to the elevator (which was broken and would only stop on select floors) and noticed maids cleaning another room. After peaking inside we noticed a large open room which looked like a magnificent suite. We soon realized that we had been jerked around and were in a standard room while indeed three were actual suites in the hotel. I called the Hotels General Manager and was informed if we wanted to move to this room we would have to pay $315/night, rather than the $260/night we were already paying. This was absurd since we were already paying for a suite, however they pretended not speak English so good when I became a bit confrontational. I wanted to check out of the hotel, however since I had booked and already paid (in full) for the room on Hotelsbycity.net, we would loose our entire $2080 + tax. Again, my fiancé and I decided to ignore the horrible hotel and go drink margaritas until it didn’t bother us anymore. Later on in our stay we met the local Mexican couple who check into the large suite and found they were only paying $120/night, which they felt was absurd. When we shared the cost of our little card box of a room, they quickly became quit and realized they had been given the “locals” price and the Green-Go’s were being raped.
Next to the pool there was a cabana which advertised various types of massages. We decided this may be a way to reduce our frustration and booked two Swedish Deep Tissue massages. My fiancé asked me later if I had actually received a deep tissue and we both concluded that we had barely received a surface tissue massage. OK we move on and decided to catch some rays by the pool. We were then entertained by a local family removing their baby’s diaper and washing the little boy’s behind in the pool before they left for the day!! Living in style!!!
The next day we booked a sunset sail and met a couple who were staying at the Las Brisas hotel. When we began talking about how horrible our hotel was they were both astounded by our story. When we mentioned what were paying, they reluctantly informed us they were paying the same for a beautiful, ocean view, suite which was “all inclusive”. They had also traveled in/out of Mexico for nearly 20 years and found their hotel was one of the best they had ever stayed at and well priced for what they had received. This was like poring salt into an open wound for my fiancé and I.
When we woke the next morning we found the water supply line to the hotel had broken and then entire hotel was without water. At this point we could no longer be surprised and simple shook our head and called our new friend, Manual the maintenance man, who we were getting to know so well! Water was restored later on in the day with minimal pressure.
After we had returned from our activities the following day I noticed one of the bed side lamps wouldn’t come on. I pulled out the night stand and found it was unplugged from the wall. Seemed simple enough to plug back in, however as I inserted the power plug into the wall receptacle, blue sparks began to fly, a small little explosion occurred and all went dark. I had seen a small break panel in the makeshift closet earlier and went to flip the breaker, however nothing occurred. It was time to call our buddy the maintenance man, Manual again. After attempting the same room breakers again, he had to the main hotel breaker box and reinstate the power. At this point I assumed I had knocked out power to the entire hotel while plugging in the lamp. Our buddy Manual came back to the room and found the wall socket wiring was shorted out, however he carefully plugged in lamp and left the room. We then prayed there wouldn’t be an electrical fire in the night due to this magnificent wiring!
The next day my fiancé and I left for Manzanillo and never looked back. When we arrived in Manzanillo we toasted saying “now we can begin our vacation”! We will NEVER stay at the Holiday Inn in Ixtapa again and would suggest anyone else considering staying there really think it through! It’s a joke of a hotel, which is poorly managed and simple over priced!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

I'm planning my next vacation and find reviews very helpful so I thought I should write about my stay at this hotel. The hotel itself is very clean, the food was good, but I'm not picky at all, my girlfriend and sister got bored with it after day 2. The burgers taste like A&W Teen burgers. The only problem with our stay was that it was also the time when Mexicans were staying here. I'm not saying that I don't like Mexicans, we actually met a few and were over at their house for supper and everyone outside of the resort was very pleasant. The problem was that the ones who were staying at the hotel thought that there needs should come before non-mexican travelers, and the staff seemed to agree with them. I'm not the kind of person who had one incident and am now blowing it out of proportion. I'm not sure if they were locals or if they'd traveled from other parts of mexico but they were the most rude people I've met. I've been to the Dominican and found that Americans are arrogant but these people take the cake. They'd push in front of you at the buffet and try to order drinks while you were giving the bartender your order. They'd talk spanish to the staff and then have a good laugh and get what they wanted, not sure if it was a good thing but my girlfriend speaks spanish and knew that they were usually always laughing at our expense. I had a great time, but it was sunny every day and the pool bartender was excellent, he had a new 'special' drink for me every morning when the pool bar opened. One consisted of about 5 oz of tequila, 3 oz of clamato juice and a dash of lime, it actually wasn't that bad. I was impressed that they had Clamato Juice, it wasn't that good, but you could still make a decent ceasar. We brought our own rimmer and spices. If the deal was right and not at the same time of year I'd definetly stay here, it's not beach front but most of the resorts were on a public beach anyways. No night life at resort but If you really went looking you could definetly find something.

• Liked — The hotel was in great shape
  • Disliked — The service was lacking
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bryan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

This hotel was great, it saved our vacation. We stayed in a bungalow the first 2 nights and when we couldn't take it anymore, someone told us about the Holiday Inn. Just a few minutes from the beach and all restaurants, we really enjoyed our stay here. The room price was completely negotiable (low season), the staff was wonderful and helpful, and the pool area was beautiful and quiet. We loved walking to the wonderful nearby eateries and local mercado, beach and shops. We would recommend it to anyone, we walked up to the check in counter unannounced and stayed for 4 nights at $80 per!!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

We needed alternate lodging after arriving in Ixtapa and needed it on a budget. The Holiday Inn Ixtapa was very helpful. We got a great room with a wonderful view of the pool and you could also see the beach at the last minute. We had found Holiday Inn Ixtapa to have the best price online and thought if we went into the hotel we might get a better deal. No such luck and we ended up using their computer to book via orbitz. However we had the best priced room out of everyone we met. Plus we were not at an all inclusive place and got to eat at the many little local resteurants that were GREAT and very cheap! All the little taco stands we went to were 300x better then the two nice restaurants we went to while there. (Franks was great...it had the best pico de gallo!!!!) The location of the Holiday Inn Ixtapa is not right on the beach, but is a three minute walk away. Markets and resteraunts are located right across the street and the clubs are a few minutes walk away. (we walked everywhere and had no problems finding places or feeling safe) The only place we took the shuttle to was the airport and Ixtapa Island. The staff was very friendly, great internet access, and the hotel was very clean. I was traveling with three girls (all in our late 20's) and we always felt safe and secure. Holiday Inn Ixtapa is very family friendly and you will find locals staying at the hotel during the weekends. All of the locals we met were families and were very nice and most spoke English. I would have to say that Ixtapa is the cleanest and most beautiful beach I have ever seen in Mexico and Hawaii. The water is perfect for swimming and the weather in March is perfect! I am now in the process of planning my wedding there! And many of our wedding guests will be staying at the Holiday Inn due to our high recommendation of it! Even my aunt who said "I would never stay in a discounted place like that in Mexico!" is staying there since I showed her pictures and she changed her mind! Lol...The picture of their pool does not do it justice and has a great swim up bar!!!!!! Also check out Carlos and Charlie’s while you are there! And if you want to Sky dive and land right on the beach you will find the guys to talk to next to the Carlos and Charlie’s pool!! Try it! It is AMAZING! And only cost around $300!!! Ixtapa Highly highly highly recommended as well as The Holiday in for everyone!

• Liked — The price, location, and cleaniness.
  • Disliked — Paying for interent...but most of the times it was already signed in...we didn't end up ever having to pay out of 11 days!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
willmar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have been to various destinations in Mexico and usually stay in economical hotels. I had realistic expectations for the Holiday Inn, but was very disappointed.

I was given one key and no instructions when I checked in. Evenutally, I found a maid who explained there is no electricity in the room unless your electronic key is placed in a sensor inside the door. So every time I went out (and took my key with me, of course), the room would heat up and it would take a good hour for the air conditioner to make it even reasonably comfortable.

The bathroom in the main floor lobby had four stalls. Two stalls were locked, a third had no toilet seat, and the fourth barely flushed. All of the common areas were in similar condition. There was no food/beverage service in the pool area. I went into the bar at 10:00 Saturday night and was told the bar was closed for the evening. The next day the bar was open, but out of tonic water. Not exactly an exotic request! Furthermore, there were no activities and no entertainment. Other than sitting by the pool, the hotel had little to offer.

I was aware that the hotel was about a ten minute walk to the main hotel area (this would have been shorter; however, the only 'functioning' entrance was on the far side of the property) I didn't realize that it would be across a vacant lot and through a shabby part of the business district. The public access to the beach was also rather trashy and poorly lit. Although I was frequently assured that Ixtapa has little serious crime, I didn't feel safe in these areas after dark.

I expressed my concerns to the manager who said any type of refund was impossible since hadn't I booked my reservation directly through the hotel. I booked using the comparative pricing provided by Trip Advisor. This system sure seems to be a good deal for the hotel. No matter the condition of the hotel or the quality of the service, they get their money.

I left early and won't return. Nor would I recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2007
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

Returned March 13th from a week in Ixtapa. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Ixtapa. This hotel should be rated a 4 star not 3. Staff is friendly, cleanliness is a 5 out of 5. Food was excellent - they have just about everything from a simple hamburger meal (well cooked) to medallion pork roast and prime rib beef. Accomodations were comfortable and spacious. The view from the Hotel is breathtaking (ask for a room on the 6th floor overlooking towards the beach). I highly recommend this Hotel. I am definitely returning next year.

• Liked — the Area of Ixtapa
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Holiday Inn in Ixtapa acquired at an unbelieveable selloff price on the internet. I have to agree with the other reviewers, the hotel was excellent. It has only been open a couple of years so it is quite modern. Granted it is a bit of a walk to the beach but we didn't mind it one bit. It's close to the plaza, restaurants and markets. The room was large and sported a king bed, dresser, 2 closets, tv, free safe, a huge walk-in shower, coffee maker with free coffee every day, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and shampoo, soap and lotion replenished each day. The towels provided were large and soft. They provide 2 bottles of water free of charge. If you're concerned about the hotel water simply buy a 5L jug of water at the Supermarket for $20 pesos (2 dollars) to make your coffee with. When the maid noticed we had bought 2 small coffee cups to use instead of the styrofoam ones provided, she immediately made replaced ours with regular cups. We had no balcony thought just a patio door. We had our coffee and pastry each morning in front of that open door watching the sun come over the horizon, breathing the fresh morning air and watching the gardeners and pool people prepare for the day. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was beautiful. Lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The pool temp was just right to cool off in and not turn into an ice cube. We didn't stay all inclusive but did eat in the restaurant twice and the food was paletable. The cheeseburgers and hot dogs were very tasty. The beer - well how can a cold cerveza around the pool in 30 degree temperatures be anything but wonderful. We were not disappointed with the quality and quantity of restaurants nearby. Most places offered 2 for 1 happy hour and the food prices were very reasonable. We were 110% satisfied with this hotel and we would have no problem returning.

• Liked — Lovely pool area
  • Disliked — Wooden doors are fairly noisy when closing.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Ixtapa Hotel? Share your experiences!