“Great Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

You added Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa to your Saves list
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Ixtapa s/n Lote 3-A, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

Just got back from Ixtapa. The hotel was perfectly located. Lots of shops
to walk to. Right outside the hotel was a place to rent scooters, golf carts
to cruise around on. The hotel pool is nice and big. The staff was very
attentive. While out at the pool they are always checking to see if you
need anything, drinks, lunch, etc. The room was just like shows on the
website, did smell alittle musty, but the view was awesome. I stayed on
the 11th floor overlooking the ocean and every night went to sleep with
the patio door open listening to the waves crashing on the beach.
The pool is literally 30 feet from the beach and is seperated by a stone
wall with steps and shower leading down to the beach, so you can
lounge at the pool and then just walk down to the beach when you feel
like playing in the ocean.
The maid service was great they come twice a day and make the cutest little animals out of the towels and put them on the beds, or in the bathroom. I had never been to Ixtapa and would definately go again and would stay at this hotel again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2005

This hotel was right in the middle of everything. It is a 5 minute walk to swimming with the Dolphins, it is a 15 minute walk to the marina, it is a 10 minute walk to the mountain overlooking the beach, it is a 5 minute walk to the golf course, and it is a 3 minute walk to the shopping area. Also the bus for snorkling is very close. All exclusive is over priced for the amount of resturants in the area. Rooms were perfect and cleaned twice a day. Daily and nightly activities can be found at this hotel along with prizes awarded daily.

Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

My husband, two children (ages 1 and 3), and I stayed at the Dorado the first week of April during spring break in our area. The hotel was built in the seventies and reflects the typical ammenities for that era. The lobby was small and check in was about 30 minutes at 10:00 p.m. The elevators are tiny and were at capacity with just our four. We were handed a key on a chain for our room (no there are no key cards - just keys as were used before technology). The time of our trip was at the end of a Mexican holiday, so as we approached our room we passed a man in his twenties standing in the hallway in boxer underwear. I looked in his room and saw two other men lying on beds with towels wrapped around their waists and nothing else and found this to be a little strange. There is an open air atrium that extends to all sixteen floors of the hotel so you can look down and see the lobby bar. The only draw back for families is that this is extremely dangerous as the ledge is about three feet high and would be easily scaled by a little one. The doors to the rooms are rickety and have a push button lock that is permanently locked and no deadbolt. The rooms are adequate and have a balcony and a sliding glass door with a single lock which my three year old mastered opening immediately.

The pool area was decent but very crowded so get up early and reserve a chair. I seldom noticed chairs being reserved all day and not used. There were a couple of waiters around the pool who moved at a sufficient pace. The beach was nice and water is not super clear on the pacific, but it was still pretty. The water had very large waves and I didn't see too many people attempting to snorkel. All of the resorts are close together, so I walked over the Krystal and Presidente and they seemed comparable to the Dorado and just as crowded. The Krystal just renovated the pool which was slightly nicer than the other two.

We ate breakfast once and lunch most days at the hotel. The food was adequate, but with so many great restaurants in Ixtapa we wanted to dine around. We ate breakfast at Onyx across from the hotel and found it to be very good. It was between $10 and $20 for all four of us depending on how hungry we were. We tried the Lobster House and found it way overpriced for the small flavorless portions. The seafood platter for two at Chimichangas was awesome and worth the money. We ate at Mamma Norma and Deborah's and it was okay. Franks was good, ate there twice because Frank is so personable. Also tried Senior Frogs and it was like any of the Frogs locations. There is also a Dominos that has dine in or delivery; tried Pizza Uno and wished we had gone to Dominos. Most of the bars offer two for one happy hour every night until eight as did the lobby bar (some of them were for beer and margaritas only).

Ixtapa is old, sleepy Mexico to me (I have been to Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Maya, Costa Rica and all over the Caribbean). I very much enjoyed the pace and the Mexican people loved my one year old. The walking wasn't too bad with little ones because everything is centrally located so no need for cabs or bussess unless you want to leave Ixtapa. The shopping was a strange combination of randomly placed higher end apparel boutiques such as Lacoste next to typical Mexican souvenir shops. The merchants will barter, so counter them if you wish.

We booked our trip through Apple Vacations and I bought the AV-Ok for $50 and checked the website periodically for the trip to go down (initial price was $799 for adults). It ended up dropping to $599 so Apple refunded my money. My travel agent had no idea the price had dropped and told me that Apple does not notify customers of this -- you're on your own to find it. We also watched for the air fare to drop for the one year old and got it for $249 instead of the $549 Apple initially quoted (AV-OK does not apply to air only). I guess the rule of thumb is that Ixtapa deals always run during spring break on Apple, so if you're looking to save a little, get the insurance. I would also do the all-inclusive as it was only $269 and would have been cheaper and less of a hassle with young kids.

Overall we really enjoyed Ixtapa and would return on a similar deal.

• Stayed April 2005
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

Our stay was at the end of July which is when most the Mexican Nationals are there, and they are wonderful folks. Not too many Americans. We had a great room on the 14th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. Our room was very nice, clean and modern. I found the food at the restaurants to be above average with some dishes better than others. The breakfast buffet is $16 but you can also order off the menu for much less if not a big eater. I thought the restaurant prices were typical "resort" prices. A good sized bottle of water at the resort store was $1. I found the staff to be very friendly from the front desk, to the waiters, to the housekeepers. As one review stated, the pool bridge could use a little refurbishing on the underside, but then again I didn't hang out under the bridge long enough for it to bother me. All in all, this is a very nice resort at a great price that I wouldn't hesitate to stay at again. If you want "luxury", pay the price and stay at the Villa Del Sol. This hotel is in the prime hotel zone across the street from shopping, many restaurants and within walking distance of the Dolphin Encounter. Taxi prices are regulated and posted by the front desk, around Ixtapa $2.50, into Zihua $4.

Stayed July 2005
Anaheim, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

By looking at its website this hotel looks like a great deal. Especially if you get a rate of $45. However, upon getting to the hotel you notice it to be almost a ghost town. The sign outside the hotel which proudly proclaims the sing along piano bar and happy hour never happened. Even in the 4 nights we were there. The only restaurant which was ever opened was the main one near the lobby. Very overpriced, at $16 for breakfast (and that does not include any seafood). However the orange juice was very good!

The pool is nice and location on the beach is nice as well. But the problem with the Dorado Pacifico is the edgyness it has gained over the years. This becomes apparent to the guest when in the pool and noticing a layer of mildew underneath the bridge, or the feel of the cracked marble beneath your feet in the room's bathrooms.

If this hotel were to be renovated it would once again be a resort. However, at this time it is probably worth what we paid.

• Stayed June 2005
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

We were a party of 10 family members renting 5 rooms to celebrate my Father's 80th birthday. Stayed 5/7/05 to 5/14/05. It was definately off season for American travelers, most guests being nationals. The hotel worked with us to share the room food credits between the 5 rooms and was very accomodating regarding changing rooms for better views etc. There is constuction going on next door, but it didn't bother us at all. The hotel food service cooked a fish our guys caught~delicious! A perfect time of year to go when occupancy was quite low. Many of the local resaurants were closed but we ate twice at Frank's , a very friendly Canadian ex-pat. One of the highlights was hatchling baby sea turtles on the bulkhead in front of the hotel! We were treated very well, and they even brought a nice cake for Dad's birthday. We'd go back!

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

Just got back from the best vacation I have ever had. I did not want to leave, and I can't wait to go back. The hotel was extremely well maintained, and the grounds were beautiful. The staff definately takes pride in the hotel and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Service at the front desk, the pool, restaurants, and room service were all excellent. I would definately suggest paying extra for the Jr. suite. They are ocean front and spacious with two balconies. The views were spectacular, and I would definately recommend the Dorado to anyone. Ixtapa is a beautiful, relaxing paradise and the Dorado is the place to stay.

Stayed May 2005

Been to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa? Share your experiences!