“Great family vacation ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

You added Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa to your Saves list
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Ixtapa s/n Lote 3-A, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great family vacation ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Here right now..our stay at Sunscape has so far been excellent from wonderful breakfast to variety (different theme) dinner. Some dinner were good and other were so-so, but that's the best thing about all inclusive..trying many things not worrying about $$, especially with family ( toddlers in tow ). The staff are wonderful at entertaining my niece and nephew, also cleaning up their mess without being annoyed but smile.
The bartenders/waiters are great remembering drink or recommending other specials. The barista at Coco is the one who start the day right with her tasty coffee/espresso/latte..BIG THANKS!
Can't list all the pros there is too much, Sunscape entertain everyone in the family. Cons..elevator slow in the morning after that not bad and 'my' room was good no view(could not get another), but whatever it's for sleeping
Leaving in couple days going to miss it here and all the wonderful staff... PS exchange $ at hotel good rate

Stayed February 2014
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Director General at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Ejcmc,

I would like to start my reply thanking you for taking the time to write your opinion about us while you are on vacation.

I am pleased to know that your stay has been nice and that you are happy with our services and facilities.
The "Coco Cafe" is our coffee lovers guests favorite place among the other restaurants and felicities in general.Please continue enjoying your vacation at our resort.

We would love to welcome you back again near in the future to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Chicago, Il.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This review is being written by a 70 year old but do not think this resort is for the geriatric crowd.
I just want everyone to know this place is for everyone. Believe me when I say that the younger crowd had LOTS of fun. The grounds are compact which makes walking easy. We found chairs without any trouble on the slide side of the pool though the action is mostly on the other side. The staff was wonderful and the food was fine. There was always something that appealed to us in the restaurants. An ocean view room does not mean a full view. I means an upper floor usually with a king bed. Beds are hard but that's how we like it. We could sleep on rocks after a full day in the sun. We have been coming to Mexico for 23 years and have been in the upper and lower value resorts and will definitely come back here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear GloriaChicago_Il,

On behalf of our staff and my own, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important to us.

I would like to mention that our concept "Unlimited Fun" is designed to ensure complete fun to all types of guests, youth, adults and children, and that is why to me is even more gratifying to read your review because you mention it by saying that there are activities for all types of guests and that makes me feel that we are on the right track and we are achieving our main goal which is to have guests of all ages and nationalities satisfied.

Dear Gloria, it would be an honor to give you a warm welcome back to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Kindest regards from sunny Ixtapa.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Absolutely the best all inclusive food we have ever had. Great friendly staff. Very comfortable room (the shower was magnificent after a day on the beach). Very clean & well kept facility. Very relaxing, but a little crowded for our taste. The elevators are a challenge, be extra careful about the capacity & door closing power!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear edd5500,

We infinitely thank you for giving us your review on TripAdvisor.
Your comments are of great importance to us because they show us our strong areas as well as our opportunity areas, where we can improve more in order to provide and excellent and quality service as this is one of our biggest commitments to our guests.

Once again thank you so much for your opinion, but mostly thank you for choosing our resort to spend your vacation.

We hope to have the honor to give you a warm welcome back to this home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

had a great time, good service ,clean rooms, and a very freindly staff, one afirmattive no to the time share folks and never bothered again. clean pool, nice beach. the short walk to town is nice and the beach is an excellent walk. no wristbands, the food could use some upgrade but it was good.

Room Tip: upper floors facing the ocean are the best rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear morgan m,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of us on TripAdvisor. you opinion is very valuable to us.

We are glad to know that your had a great time during your stay, our staff is fully committed to provide a quality service day after day with a nice and positive attitude. Comments like yours motivate us to work harder and to give and excellent and efficient service.

We would love to have the honor to welcome you again at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here for the most part. I will start with the cons in order to leave on a positive note.

Cons: The bellmen outside did not want me to take my bag to the lobby at check-in. Every time I tried to move my luggage to the lobby they would push it back. Then after I finally got my luggage past them they wanted to take it. This started my vacation off on a very sour note.

The mattress is very hard. We did get egg crate pads for the bed, but it did not help much. I was in the room when the maid stripped the bed. The mattress had numerous stains and was downright nasty. I am glad that there was an additional padding added so that the bottom sheet would not be directly on the dirty, stained mattress.

The food at the buffet is often very cold. I took a scoop of scrambled eggs that were not made on the griddle and they were too cold to eat. If you order made to order food such as omelets the food temperature will be fine. At dinner time, the food temperature at the buffet was hit or miss.

The elevators are unsafe. The doors of the elevator close very hard and very fast. I heard about someone breaking their arm due to the elevator door closing on it. There were several people who were stuck on the elevator as well.

Not enough chairs by the pool or on the beach. So many other trip advisor writers have commented about this issue. I think that the resort needs to take note and find a solution

Now for the pros:

Beautiful grounds. The staff keep the pool and beach very clean.

The food in the specialty restaurants was very good and at the proper food temperature.

With the exception of the bellmen at check in, the staff was very nice

The bartenders were friendly and each of the had their own special drink. The Raymondo and Sylvonio specials were outstanding.

The coffee barista made extremely good expresso and cappuccino. She always served me with a smile.

The shower in the room was wonderful. Great water pressure, plenty of hot water and good bath products.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I would stay here again. I thought that Ixtapa was a beautiful place to visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Director General at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear satchel21,

On behalf of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa staff and my own, I would like to than you for taking the time to write such a detailed summary about your stay with us on TripAdvisor, your opinion is very important and valuable to us

we would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that occurred during your stay. we are pleased to know that despite the drawbacks already mentioned you had a great vacation.

Rest assured that all your comments will be shared with the areas involve in order to make the appropriate improvements.

We hope to have the opportunity to give you a warm welcome back to this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent a week in Ixtapa the first week of Feb 2014. So nice it is just a short ride from airport to hotel. Loved the no wristband and no reservation policy. The rooms had water, beer and soda stocked. We had no problem when additional was needed. They kept well stocked daily. The weather was perfect. Loved to be poolside, and the city just outside the front door. The employees were all very sweet and helpful. We enjoyed the Italian Restaurant the most - waiter Eric Hernandez was the best! The hostess Abygail and the Captain Ferrando kept this restaurant running smoothly. It is a very popular restaurant and the early seating is very busy - if possible try to plan a late meal - the food is very good, we loved the lasagna. The breakfast buffet was very good - especially the omelet station. I stopped at Coffee Bar every morning for a cappuccino, and was never disappointed. We had no complaints and would love to return to this location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Director General at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear RosiePeoria_Illinois,

on behalf of all the staff of Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa and my own, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review of your vacations on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to know that you really enjoy our facilities and service and we fulfill your expectations. Thank you so much for the recommendation, but especially thanks for letting us be part of your experience.

Rest assured that we will share your comments with Eric, Abigail, and Captain Fernando, we are very proud of them ad of the great work that they perform every day.

It would be a great honor to give you a warm welcome back at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

As some of you know us my now, we are Kent & Sharon. We travel somewhere warm the last week of January every year for our anniversary. We got married on the beach in St. Lucia 2003, I promised her we would go somewhere warm every year. So needless to say I use tripadvisior to find the best value. This was our11th trip.

We traveled to the Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa Mexico from 1/25/14 – 2/1/14.

We have traveled to Mexico on our last two trips to Huatulco Mexico staying at Secrets and Dreams. Traveling the last week of January I had been interested in Ixtapa due to price point but worried about temperatures not being warm enough. This year I rolled the dice and the weather was perfect. 88 was the lowest and 93 was the highest. 72 to 73 every evening. PERFECT temperatures!

Transfer from airport to resort:
This was one of the first applevacation trips where there was a mess up. 86 people from our plane was going to Sunscape. They told all 86 people to get on the same bus, even though there were 2 buses and plenty of room. They usually check off your name as you board the bus. Once on the bus and we were rolling, 25 minute ride from the airport on a nice bus.
Check In:
Greeted by an attendant with a silver tray of cold facial cloths and fruity cocktails followed by a tray of chocolate chip cookies. We arrived around 3:30PM. Since this wasn’t my first rodeo, I identified our bags for the bell boys while Sharon got in line to check in. We were the second couple to check in. Our room was ready, and the bell boys had our luggage in our room in 10 minutes. We freshened up, headed downstairs to get a drink and bite to eat, people were still checking in.

The room:
The placed us in a partial ocean view room, even though I only paid for the garden view. Once again the silver tongued devil, talked us into a free upgrade. When we got to the room, I was surprised we had 2 full sized beds instead of the King. I was going to move us to a King, but Miss Sharon said she could really use a break 
Worse part of the trip was the beds. They set the mattress on a concrete frame. Rock hard. We were both pretty sore and achy by the end of the week. We heard on the bus on the return trip to the airport that several other couples asked and received mattress toppers. I missed the boat on that one. 
GREAT water pressure in the shower.

Excellent room safe … digital combo and included no extra charge like some hotels.

Full sized bottles of shower gel (great scent … not exactly sure what it was) and shampoo were provided and the maid automatically provided “additional” when we ran low by mid-week. Our maids were excellent the day maid was quick and always made sure we had an abundance of towels (never had to ask for more). The night maid turned down the bed and left a schedule for the following days planned activities

Beach:
Was really nice and very walkable. Our second favorite beach of all trips. It is1.8 miles long, flat and great soft walkable sand. You can get sunset photos every night and three of the restaurants can view sunsets.

Food:
The property did a really nice job of changing things up. One night a Mexican cookout buffet in the ballroom with a dinner and a show.
The food was good and very consistent with other AMstar properties we have been too. They only disappointment in the food category was the Italian specialty restaurant.
There are no limitations on how often you can go to any of the specialty restaurants. No reservations needed! We tried all the specialty restaurants; the Oceania restaurant was by far the best, followed by Gohan. We ate fish almost every meal. Highly recommend the coconut ice cream.
If Sunscape are reading this, do away with not taking reservations. People had to line up 30 – 45 minutes early to get in when restaurants open. Open them earlier and allow reservations. Less stress on your travlers.

Travel Tip:
I always travel with at least 100 USD ones, but wasn’t really needed this time. We did end up tipping the waitresses and maids and received outstanding service! By the end of the week they all knew my drink of choice and almost fought over each other to wait on me.

Pool:
Chairs and shade could be a problem. People head down the claim their pool chairs around 6:30, they hand out the towels at 7:00, then a guy with a clip boards comes by and takes your room number then you are free to come and go. Not a huge pain, I was able to get choice chairs every morning, just a good thing bed was hard and I was always up by 6:00. We had read the reports about this, so we took our own beach towels and clips, which made it really easy for me to claim chairs before the chaos. No rafts, but we took a 1.99 blow up and the pool entertainment team blew it up for me.

Staff:
I tipped my waiter well on the first day and he followed us around all week, my glass was never empty. I took 100 in ones.

Internet:
was included and free. Not as fast at home but good enough. I was able to use my MacBookPro, iPad2, and iPhone everywhere on the property. Photo uploads were slow.

Time Share:
We had been to the time share last 3 or 4 years, I like messing with them. I was in there for 90 minutes I got 270 USD out of them. 100 in resort money, we used it for a tour, and 170 cash. Used it for a lobster dinner across street and pocketed the rest.

The Spa:
This was the first time Sharon didn’t use the Spa. The Spa and Gym both looked nice. However, if you walk north on the beach, right out of the hotel. There is a public entrances the beach, 10 minute walk. There are massage huts. Hut #4, Carla, will do a 60 minute deep tissue for $15 USD. Sharon said it was better than any $120 dollar she has had anywhere else. She ended up getting 2.

Shopping:
We rode the public bus to Zihuatenejo for 9 pesos each. We got off at Elcktra and walked down to Cino De Mayo Ave to the fish market and local shops. Went smooth and felt safe. On the way back they were setting up a local circus and I got some photos of camels, zebras and tigers.
I got 13.4 pesos on the dollar at the bank next door to the hotel, but mostly got pesos at the hotel desk for 12.70.
Elevators:
Every ride on the elevator was a little bit of a gamble. We never got stuck or had any problems but we heard other horror stories. They are due to upgrade.
Overall:
AM Resorts are trying and have been pumping in some money. They property is on the smaller size, but they do a good job of fitting a lot into that space. They never open all restaurants, on any one night mostly due to they share sitting space. You come in one entrance it is Blue Water, you come in the other side the next night, different name and menu.

Great value and one of our favorite beaches. Will go back to Ixtapa, but probably not this property until they give it some more love.

Hope this helps!
Kent & Sharon.

Room Tip: Higher the better for the view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BigPapaKent ,

I would like thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed summary of your stay with us.

Each of the things you mentioned are very important for us because it allows us to know our strong areas, as well as the areas where we need to put more attention. Rest assured that I will share your comments with the areas involved in order to make improvements.

We are pleased to know that despite some drawbacks your stay was comfortable and enjoyable, we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

General Manager.

Been to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa? Share your experiences!