“Good and Not So Good!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

You added Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa to your Saves list
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Ixtapa s/n Lote 3-A, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Good and Not So Good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have lived and travelled in Europe, Middle East and Africa for over eight years but this was my first time in Mexico. A scenic area of Mexico and I was hoping to be able to swim in the ocean but the waves were to strong at the time so this was disappointing. The beach area in front of the hotel is lovely. The swimming pool was not the best. All the staff at the Sunscape were helpful and accommodating but would of preferred not to hear about the "coupons" that was a pain. Our room was keep clean at all times so no complaint there. Beds were hard but we had no trouble sleeping. The food was good. Da Mario's was not Italian but the food was fair. So if in Mexico eat Mexican that is what they do best and it was very good. We went on two excursions and did not feel that we got our money's worth. All in all a nice place to visit it depends on what one is looking for!

Room Tip: A room on the 19th and above ocean facing would be best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Cynthia G,

Thank you very much to let us know your feedback on TripaAdvisor, it is very valuable to us, because this is the best way to realize in which areas we have to work harder to improve and provide the service that you deserve.

I would like to inform you that your review has been shared with all of our Departments, so, rest assure that each one of your observations will be taken into consideration, we want that all our guests have a comfortable and pleasant stay feeling better than at home.
We really wish you could reconsider visiting us again in the near future, it would be a pleasure to welcome you one more time at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Sincerely
Jesús García

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The reviewer
----------------
Caucasian 30-year-old Canadian. Experienced traveller, primarily in South America and the Middle East. The Dorado Pacifico was my first resort vacation. I was travelling with my charming and observant girlfriend who gave excellent resort comparison.

The Plus :D
--------------
The Dorado Pacifico maintained a steady 50% Mexican, 25% Canadian, 15% US citizens, 10% non-North American guest mix while we were there from Dec 16 - Dec 23. People were nice and communal by and large. Ages ranged and families were abundant, but never to the point of distraction; a separate play area helped that. The staff was entirely Latin American. Having a largely Mexican clientèle helped me settle into the idea of being waited on with such regularly. It didn't feel as "imperial" and "colonial" as I had feared.

The food was plentiful, palatable, and offered good variety. Breakfast offered many options with cooks waiting to prepare pancakes or omelettes with your choice of ingredients. Lunch and dinner could be taken by buffet, table-service restaurant, or the seemingly always open and yummy snack bar. A restaurant was the clear way to go for all meals when available (they were really good, especially when lead by Fernando), unless laying in the sun with a bowl of delicious nachos was on your mind. All venues were lovely, including indoor, outdoor, or poolside breakfast & lunch and crisply air-conditioned indoor or ocean viewing outdoor evening restaurants.

The Ocean was spectacular. its intensity changed day to day from impressive breaks to mellow seas. The beach was free of virtually any stones save fine white sand and stretched long across neighbouring resorts. The weather was perfect (Read: PERFECT), other guests with weeks and weeks of resort experience over a decade in Ixtapa noted 3 hours of rain and 3 cloudy days over that span of time, in the dry season of course. The sun set in an awe-inspiring orange haze every evening behind the ocean horizon. Bugs were virtually non-existent, except for a few non-aggressive bees.

The event personnel were phenomenal. A full compliment of energetic, friendly, talented, well-humoured staff. Leading various sports and activities from the morning through the evening. Great people, all. Alberto, Carlos, and Himer made everyone feel especially welcome. The entertainment was primarily in Spanish, a plus or minus depending on your bend on culture.

Drink staff at the multiple bars were quick to prepare your beverage of choice and fully willing to mix whatever your imagination could create. The shaded pool-bar was awesome and perfect after an hour+ of sweaty volleyball. There was no rationing of alcohol here; all cocktails were as advertised and hit like they should. I personally recommend the tequila lemonade. Seek out a particularly friendly and talented bartender named Raymundo and you will never be disappointed.

The spa was really nice and very relaxing, but pricey since everything else is already paid for and you're already on a stunning beach. After taking first prize in a resort singing contest I was treated to a lovely hydro therapy treatment and massage, an absolute treat. In other words, leave your karaoke fears at the departure gate and sing your heart out. Prizes are good.

Rooms were great. Big beds, clean, quiet, great A/C, stocked mini-bar, huge showers. Hot water can get iffy for a minute at a time now and again, but it wasn't a big deal. Oscar is the go-to knowledgeable guy in the lobby for advice or concerns. He was perfect at taking care of everything.

The Minus :'(
-----------------
BIG caveat on the food: The concept of "no glutton" was not easily communicated. Some restaurants were worse then others. Being clear and specific can help, but you'll still get a tortilla in your guacamole 9/10 times.

No clamato juice around, so caesars were out of the drink rotation. Solid dirty martinis substitute well. Oddly, chocolate sauce was the other hard to find commodity. Mudslides aren't the same without them.

Elevators! Oof. Capacity was not properly considered when they put these bad boys in. Either that, or they've aged terribly. Expect a 2-5 minute wait most of the time. Maybe longer. When weighted, it clears all floor selections. The doors will constantly try to eat you. There is no close door button. Short skirts & glass walls equal some serious lobby flashing (maybe that should be in the Plus list...). The stair alternate is not designated for guest use and is VERY stinky and dirty.

The service was very good with a few noticeable flaws. Towel service was perfect for 5 days, then declined, then vanished. Who was responsible for this? My money is on the member of the cleaning crew who took 2-3 pieces of gum from my pack every day until I started hiding it (seriously). No other items were missing or disturbed. We had even left money and gifts the first few days.

Room Tip: If you want a partial or full ocean view, order it with your package (~$50), at the resort they'...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Elijah_Maxim,

We sincerely appreciate the time that you took to write such a complete review of us on TripAdvisor.
Every day we work hard to make our guests have unique experiences here at our resort, and also every day we work hard on the opportinity areas such as the ones that you have mentioned on your review, each one of them will be taken into consideration.

We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you and assist you again at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

Monroe, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I recently just got back from a wonderful trip to Ixtapa. 12/13-12/20 It was a wonderful trip. We love Ixtapa. I started one review earlier and now I want to finish it out. My original review was OK but ask.
We had a Family Suite oceanfront. View was great. Air conditioner did not work. We asked to be moved to another room, they changed us to a higher floor room 1815. It was better but still not cool enough. We chalked it up as our issue because we keep our home thermostat at 68 degrees, We tried to make it work but it just stayed too hot. I asked the desk if they had a fan they could give us to put in the room and they had one brought up. Much, Much better. So, ask if you need anything they will accommodate it. The staff was wonderful. Entertainment was great. and the atmosphere was wonderful. The food was average to ok. However the Shrimp Crepes in the oceana were the best thing ever!!!! Room service was promt. Basically had a wonderful trip because we love ixtapa and the staff was great.
Now the negative side of the story. The nightlife is loud so be ready, wasn't a big deal though. The Air conditioning will be the main reason we won't go back to this resort. I want the room to be cool and shouldn't have to rely on a fan. The hot tub was gross and dirty. I didn't get in it but that was my observation. The Italian restaurant is strict dress code, if you do not have business attire you will not be allowed in. Not that big of a deal either.
Another big issue we had was two fold, I am an avid fisherman and fished 4 days of our trip with the most amazing captain Chico Garcia (www.LLAMARADACHARTERS.com) If you even remotely think you want to fish don't go anywhere else. He is the absolute best hands down.
We caught fresh fish and took it to the front desk to have them cook it for us and send it to our room for dinner. 1st day we brought beautiful fresh Mahi Mahi and asked for 1/2 grilled and the other half fried, and brought to our room and it was cooked perfectly Grilled but the grilled the entire fish and did not fry anything for the kids. We chalked it up as a learning experience. On the 2nd fish day I brought another beautiful mahi mahi filet and asked them to fry the whole thing and send to our room for dinner. Room service came and brought the whole fish grilled again.. Not any fried fish whatsoever. That really made me angry. I expressed my anger and was told that it wold never happen again. I knew that I had 2 more days of fishing so I didn't worry too much. 3rd day brought another mahi mahi filet and ask to have it fried and we would eat it in the oceana restaurant. We made it to our table they had our fish prepared under a top tableside, When they opened up the top and showed the fish it was grilled again for the 3rd time., Now I am VERY VERY VERY MAD.,I told them they basically said sorry. What else can I do.... Really my hands were tied. The facilities are older but it is clean. We felt very safe, and really love Ixtapa. If you are hot natured you really may want to avoid this resort the A/C is definitely a problem. If you fish and want it fried I would not suggest this resort because they have something against frying Mahi Mahi. Other than those two major issues it was a great experience. We won't be back but is a nice place to stay. We were offered a 400.00 spa credit coupons however it is not really coupons so the best thing to do is walk to beach turn right about 10 mins you will see massage huts and they give 1hr massages for 20.00

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear westv40,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience and your opinion, this is the best way for us to improve every opportunity area, according to our guests needs and expectations, we really want to offer you an apology for the inconvenient that you had during your stay, we will share your comment about the preparation of the fish with the Food and Beverage Manager.

However, we sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Ixtapa in a future occasion and we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Port Coquitlam B.C. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was our third time in Ixtapa and our second stay at the Sunscape. We spent two glorious weeks from November 9 to 23rd. The staff here are the best, they are so friendly, and make you feel special.
I would like to give an extra shout out to a few of the staff.
Ramiro and his entertainment crew always kept things going with a lot of activities thru out the day and into the evening. They all work so hard. Alberto, what can I say, he is so much fun, non stop energy, and such a special person!
Benito, he is so sweet, always making sure everything was good. Saul who was all over the place, looking out for everyone. Raymondo, always with the biggest smile, you made the best drinks! I'm sorry, I forget the name of the girl that made my cappuccino's from the coffee bar every morning. She knew exactly how I liked them, and they were so good!
There is miles of beachfront for long walks.Take advantage of a massage on the beach, there are lots of huts set up just down a little way, and you can't beat the price at 150 pesos for an hour massage.
The hotel is so convenient to everything. The town is across the street, which has many shops, restaurants and bars if you want to eat or drink off the resort. Zihuatenejo is a 15 minutes cab ride away.
This was a wonderful, relaxing vacation and I would highly recommend both Ixtapa and the Sunscape.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear gingertwist,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a Review on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to hear your nice comments,we really appreciate that you have shared them with us.

It is very satisfactory to know that we met your expectations and overall that our staff made you feel like you deserve. Our everyday commitment is to satisfy the needs of our guests and create them unforgettable experiences in a warm and comfortable atmosphere.

We would like to see you soon at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Columbus oh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had been to ixtapa several times but had not been back in 15 yrs. We were looking to vacation with my family that was kid friendly. We found the Dorado which had become all "inclusive" and thought that would be a nice option especially for the kids. It has been so bad I need took break this experience down into sections.

The rooms - the beds are rock hard, so bad they put layers of foam pads on for you and that doesn't even help. The first night we got here we were kept up all night by club thumping music. Tip, don't stay on the street facing view as that is where all the noise is. Moved our room so at least we could sleep.

Food - to say the food is marginal would be a compliment to this place. One would think "all inclusive" would mean anything you want whenever you want" not the case! The rooms have a mini fridge that only has a few beverages, if you want snacks you need to go out and buy them. They don't do any pool side food service except for drinks. They have a snack shack that serves hamburgers (like a thin hockey puck), tortilla chips with basically cheese wiz, popcorn and hotdogs. Even the kids wouldn't eat that food. There are 2 restaurants next to the pool, food is just as bad, but they won't let you order from there and bring it to the pool so you are stuck with the crappy snack shack.

The restaurant by the pool serves a limited menu and the portions are ridiculously small. I ordered pizza for my daughter and it was one small piece of pizza they cut in half and put like 6 French fries with it. I ordered a Caesar salad and kid you not it came with 4 pieces of lettuce! One day at lunch we ordered guacamole for lunch and they said they were out!! How did this happen?

They state they have like 6/9 restaurants, sooooooo not the case! One of them is a Japanese restaurant, it is only open Wed and Sat evening! There is an Italian restaurant that has a decent menu but it's for adults only so can't bring the family! The other 2 restaurants are what we stomach for breakfast and lunch! We have eaten out most nights and even that food was sub par.

The service had been PAINFUL! On an average day we wait about 45 min for a water, and that's with tipping. The day we flew in we wanted to eat, the pool restaurant stopped serving at 5 it was a little after and they wouldn't serve us, nice start to the trip! If they don't know an answer or don't understand they will just say yes to you making you spin! Painful!

The pool was dirty, stuff floating in it all the time.

Here's the positive note, the beach is beautiful, cleaner than the pool area, weather was perfect. It's in as prime location, just needs to be gutted out and put under new management!

This place was not cheap but everything we got was, very, very disappointed and will never be back again!

• Stayed December 2013
Doradoixtapa, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Needsomes,

We appreciate your feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking. Unfortunately I can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you, and your family, and I do apologize for any shortcomings from our side. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.
We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the experience that you had during your visit with us. Your comments have been shared to all our departments, to avoid any future comments. I am extremely sorry that I have not had the honor to meet you during your stay.
We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Sincerely
Lethbridge Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sunscape for 2 weeks, our first trip to Ixtapa although we have been to several other areas in Mexico.We booked a deluxe oceanview room with WestJet Vacations in June requesting a king bed. When we arrived they assigned us a partial oceanview with two double beds overlooking the Emporio resort next door. The next day we were able to convince them to move us to room 1716 overlooking the pools and ocean ( but no king bed even though we found out the resort was only at about half capacity ).
The Sunscape only became an all inclusive about 2 years ago.There are no bracelets required, no towel cards ( you could have as many towels as you wanted ) so you don't have to worry about someone taking your towel and you being responsible for it. Breakfasts are buffet but most lunches and dinners are al a carte with no reservations required which is great. The Italian restaurant ( Da Mario ) on the mezzanine floor is the only enclosed facility and is air conditioned, unlike the other restaurants which are essentially open to the elements. We thought Da Mario had the best food and it's adult only ( also the only restaurant where men have to wear long pants ). During the day the other restaurants have black birds occasionally flying through looking for a meal ( they even land on unoccupied tables and grab sugar packages ).
Overall the service and food at the resort was good but we did miss the barbecues we experienced at other resorts. At the Sunscape the meat and fish dishes are invariably fried or prepared with sauces or breaded. We were surprised that the Oceana ( the seafood restaurant ) had limited fish items.
You will not find daily evening shows here compared to most other resorts. They do hold Caribbean and Mexican shows with buffet supper two nights per week. There is a night club in an outdoor area next to the Oceana restaurant that starts at 10:30 PM.
From Thursday through Saturday there are busloads of locals ( a lot of families with young children ) who descend on the resort. The restaurants and pool become noticeably busier and at times the staff had difficulty keeping up with the higher traffic.
As with all resorts we have visited, the towel game is also in full force at the Sunscape. I had to go down to the pool area around 6:30AM to try and reserve a large palapa for shade during the day ( the large palapas are numbered and you reserve them with the security guard by the pool ). There are also umbrellas around the pool but they are somewhat limited in number. We found it to be very hot and particularly humid in Ixtapa compared to other areas of Mexico. We were told that this year the humidity is unusually high because they had a later rain season. Apparently January onward is quite pleasant according to others who have been to the area previously.
If you are Canadian don't bother taking US dollars here. The front desk at the resort will convert your Canadian cash to pesos ( we got 11.30 to 11.60 pesos per dollar ). This is the first resort we've been to where they always had plenty of pesos in large and small denominations. There are also a couple of banks very close by with ATM's that dispense pesos with your debit card. Also across from the resort is a liquor store where we purchased our Don Julio anejo tequila
( anejo is the older and better blend ) and the price was cheaper than the duty free store at the airport.
We didn't book any excursions on this trip because it's easy and cheaper ( we're seniors ha ) to get around by bus. You walk out of the resort and take a bus costing 9 pesos each one way that goes to the city of Zihuatanejo, a few kilometers away for shopping/sightseeing. Also if you cross the street a short distance to Senor Frogs there is a bus stop for Ixtapa Island. Again 9 pesos each one way and take the Playa Linda bus which drops you off a short distance from some flea market shops. Walk through the shops on the left and you'll see the long pier. Go to the end of the pier and pay 40 pesos each for a return boat trip to the island. When you get to the island walk a short distance off the beach through a few trees and you arrive at Coral beach ( the best of the 4 beaches on the island ) which is a good snorkelling area. Take some crackers from the resort and feed the little fish that will come right up to the shore.
The Sunscape resort offers spa treatments, massages etc. which are quite expensive. If you go out to the beach and walk a few minutes to the right there are several huts offering massages. Don't hesitate to go there. My wife and I went to hut #4 ( Judy and Claire ) where they charge 150 pesos each for a one hour massage ( that's less than $15 for the hour ). It was clean, safe and a good massage.
And now for the person who made our vacation special. We had a great time and many laughs with Alberto from the Entertainment Team. The resort is fortunate to have him. Watch for him as he climbs a palm tree! Feliz Navidad Alberto from Garry with two R's.
We would certainly return to this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear giddles,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate each one of your comments, they have been shared with all our Departments in order to work on the details that you have mentioned and improve our service.

Also, we would like to thank you for your recommendations about our destination Ixtapa Zihuatanejo, and for making promotion of this.
Finally, it is very important to mention that we are very proud of Alberto, we are glad to know that he made your vacation special and kept you happy.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back at this your home away from home, Sunscape Dorado Pacífico Ixtapa.

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Sunset Dorado Pacifico in Ixtapa and would like to commend the staff on their professional, courteous and outstanding service they provided. We stayed on the top floor, 2117, with an ocean view which was spectacular. The room was adequate for our needs. The A/C worked so well that at times we were actually cold. The bed was great but we like a firm mattress. The bathroom was a nice size and the only issue we had was occasionally the water just stopped flowing for a couple of seconds, no big deal it came back on and perhaps it was my fault for taking long showers. The biggest problem was the internet connectivity in our room and the issue was probably due to the floor we were on, again no big deal. There was an issue with noise from the disco for the first 2 nights it operated but after that it was toned down considerably and was another non issue. The maid service was adequate but we were at a loss as to who actually cleaned our room and the wrong person may have collected her tip. The entire time we were there only 3 of the four elevators were working but if you pressed the buttons on both bank of elevators one arrived in a minute or two. The biggest problem with the elevators are guests who press both the up & down buttons, get in when the elevators stops and wonder why they are going the wrong way! If you want to go down only press the down button! The hotel was always clean and there appeared to be continual maintenance occurring. Security was very good, there always seemed to be a presence both inside & outside the hotel.
The Barracuda Bar was the place to hang out we were entertained on a daily basis by Raymundo, Serafin & Romero, these guys work so hard but can still take time to make you feel that you are the only customer they have. Omar is an incredible beach waiter who seems to be running all day long both delivering drinks & cleaning up the empties.
The food was good but not above average. The menus are somewhat limited so that by the 10 night we were missing home cooking. The Da Mario Italian restaurant was the best not only for its food & service but also because it was air conditioned. The staff in this restaurant is probably the best in the entire resort, efficiently led by Capitain Fernando the rest of the wait staff work well together. Especially attentive to our needs were, Saul, Isaac, Eric, Roger and Jose Luis. The Gohan offered more than just sushi and the food was good. I was especially surprised by the dessert sushi! The Oceana is usually open when Da Mario is closed and so the staff here are the same ones as the Da Mario and provide the same excellent service. The seafood menu is quite varied and the food was good. The Tamarindo Mexican restaurant does not seem to be open that often for dinner but does occasionally offer a lunch buffett. The food was good and we enjoyed eating here when it was open. The Blue Water Grill was our usual choice for lunch and the food was good with Bernicia providing quality service. The Coco Café was great for grabbing an early morning Latte and the lunch buns were particularly tasty. Some other staff members who should be recognized are Tomas and Daniel who seemed to appear at different restaurants throughout, also Elian, Johnathan and Sergio who made our first full day here memorable and concierges Jaime and Sergio. One other employee, whose name I forget, is the man who cleans the beach & beach chairs he also works so hard doing a really nasty job.
In summary we enjoyed our stay, the accommodations were good, the food was good and the staff was excellent. As far as whether we would return? I definitely would; however, my wife found it too hot and was unable to fully enjoy life away from the AC. Thank you Sunscape for a great time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sunscape Ixtapa... E, General Manager at Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear LracSelwonk ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of us on TripAdivisor.
We greatly appreciate your comments and advices, to us are very important because they give us the opportunity to improve and continue working to achieve our main goal that is to ensure that our guests have a service of quality and comfort.

Thank you for choosing our resort and we hope to have the opportunity to assist you again at this your home away from home Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa.

General Manager.

Been to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa? Share your experiences!