“Great great view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa

You added Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa to your Saves list
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Ixtapa s/n Lote 3-A, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Great great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

We were at the Dorado in June 2007 for one week. We had a great time. The food and drinks were wonderful and plentiful (especially the fresh fish and steak.) We booked a standard ocen view room and when we arrived we asked for an upgrade. At first, they wanted to charge us extra. But, I didn't say anything just smiled and he said. "You are not going to be happy unless we give you a suite for the week. " He was very gracious and upgraded our room. We were very pleased. The room was clean and had two balcanies. Which we loved. We had a king bed and a pull out sofa. The room was very comfortable and roomy. There was four of us traveling (2 adults and 2 children). The staff and service was excellent. During our stay the staff was friendly, they would greet us by our name. The first night at the Dorado we had a storm and a blackout (I didn't mind, it was an adventure-my kids were kind of taken back from the lightening and rain but, I assured them we were fine. The generator kicked in about 10 minutes into the blackout. The weather was hot and humid but, what the heck, we were in Mexico. The Dorado is in a great location and the ocean views are spectacular. The pool was alot of fun too, especially the swim up bar and water slides. For the price it was a great vacation. If you want total first class you have to pay alot more money. The Dorado offers excellent ocean views, relaxation, great service and food, lots of fun for a great price. We love the people in Ixtapa. We had a great time and would recommend the Dorado to everyone. One last note, when we left they said that there would be a $6.00 charge for a/c in the taxi. I just shook that comment off, I didn't want that comment to ruin my experience with the Dorado. (What did he think I was just born yesturday) The taxi driver was honest and charged us the right price. They work very hard to assure everyone has a great time. We tipped for the service and upgrade. Have a great time in time in Ixtapa.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at the Dorado Pacifico From 2/15 till 2/26 2008 and had the best vacation ever. We traveled with our young children, my sister and her young children, and our parents, both in their early 60's. All of us found that the Dorado had something for everyone. The poolside activity coordinators (especially Pancho) always had something for adults, then something for the kids, then an activity that everyone could participate in.
Our room was on the 9th floor with a spectacular view. Although the rooms are not fancy, they are clean. I would call them above average for Mexico. There are hair dryers in the room... something I wished I knew before packing. There are also coffee makers, but they will charge you, so bring your own if that's your thing. I have seen a lot of bad things said about the beds. Yes, they are very firm, but as a "stomach sleeper", I was extremely comfortable. All of us were, with the exception of my sister who likes her bed very soft. I slept better than I have in a long time, but maybe that had something to do with the ocean waves singing me to sleep.
The staff at the Dorado is superb. They were so friendly, patient with our large group, and always went the extra mile. There was a mix up with our Fiesta Mexicana tickets (which was because of confusion between my family members, no fault of the hotel), but Jose Angel took it upon himself to personally make sure that we were taken care of and not inconvenienced. (Speaking of the Fiesta, it was an EXCELLENT experience for the kids! Well worth the price for all you can eat and open bar.) Marcos at the Terraza del Mar restaurant went WAY out of his way to provide excellent service to our clan of special diet needs and picky eaters, always with a smile on his face. There were so many that were so wonderful, I wish I could name them all.
Forget the cab to Zihua...the bus costs 70 cents. Don't pay the prices for the "tours"...the staff at the hotel will tell you which busses/water taxis to take where, and you can do it much cheaper and pick your restaurant and meal. And yes...do visit every beach you can because they are all so different. Isla Ixtapa and Playa Las Gatas are not to be missed. (Just be prepared for the primitive surroundings! But that is why they are largely unspoiled beaches.)
The short and skinny is this...we will definitely go back to the Dorado. Especially while we have young kids. The pool slides and activities provided nonstop fun for them and the service provided us with everything we wanted.

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — overly-obnoxious chase-lounge savers
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at the Dorado Pacifico February 23-26. The hotel seems a bit a dated, but very clean and the service is average. Although the average tourist age was 50+ at the time we went, there were several families with children, and the hotel is well-suited for them: children's activity areas, kiddie pools, etc. The other reviews about the beach chairs and Palapas is true - there aren't many to go around, and squatters will stake them out early in the morning, leave their towels and belongings there, and head out for the day. We spent several hours on the beach and only half of the chairs actually were occupied the whole time- most had place holders of dog-eared Jackie Collins novels and sunscreen.

About Ixtapa: being accustomed to Cancun and Playa del Carmen, we were somewhat dissapointed in the shopping area across the street. It is convenient, but not a lot there when compared to the resort areas in the Riviera Maya region. There are abundant restaurants and ATMs, however.

The ocean water, to us, was cold, and the beach seems to be perpetually under the "red flag" (dangerous currents, swim with caution). A day trip to Isla Ixtapa costs $37/piece, includes lunch, and is worth it to see coral reefs and frolic in the cold but gentle waves.

Cab fares are posted at the entrance to the hotel, which is nice. $150 pesos ($15.00) to the airport, $50 pesos to Zihuataneo, and $30 pesos to the Ixtapa Marina to see some gorgeous boats and enjoy some pricey but very good restaurants.

All in all, a good stay at the Dorado Pacifico, and although we were warned verbally and in all of the brochures about time share scams, we were never approached or accosted. Perhaps we don't look like we can afford them.

Enjoy Ixtapa!

• Liked — Location on the beach
  • Disliked — Activities outside of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
pine lake, ab, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We went on Our first vacation Feb 3-10, 2007 to Ixtapa and stayed at the Dorado Pacifico. Everything far exceeded our expectations as I see the hotel rated 3-31/2 star 4 star on some sites. First and foremost everything is CLEAN. I really didn't know what to expect but I expected cleanliness and that I received. I was very impressed upon unlocking the door to our room on the 7 th floor. The room was spacious, had a balcony with ocean view Tiled/Marble flooring throughout (NO CARPET) and a beautiful all tile/marble bathroom with a tub/shower. There was a closet and a electronic in room safe for our valuables. I hadn't given much thought to a Safe as we were first time travelers, but this helped re-assure me and be at ease. Everything in our room worked and we had not one complaint throughout our 1 week stay. The airconditioning really pumped out the cool air and our room was always comfortable. The hotel rooms are not the ritz, but believe me they were A ok. My husband says that I am high maintenace and the resort exceeded my expectations. The rooms were not fancy but moderately modern and everything worked and was clean. (The photo's you see on the website are exactly what the rooms are like) I would say that the lobby area and other areas of the hotel were fancy, compared to others we had seen along the strip of hotels. The maids did an awsome job everyday cleaning. We always left $1-2 each day and left $5 on one occasion. We always had beautiful towel art in the day and turn down service at night. We were there with a group of 40 people for a wedding and upon talking to others, it sounds like we had a few added touches for the tipping vs' them not tipping. I never mind tipping especially when your room is left immaculate.
The pool was awsome ( I still miss it), I loved the lay out and the swim up bar. It was a great way to spend the day relaxing at the resort. All bartending staff and staff in general were outstanding. We only ate 1 meal (breakfast) at the hotel resturant closet to the lobby and found it not so good for the money. After exploring the many resturants directly across from the hotel we found them to be very tasty and cheap $5-6 for breakfast (that included fresh squeezed juice of your choice) and such great service. The resturants across the way really do want your business and work hard to get you to choose theirs. La Cala which is a fancy resturant outside of Zieujuatenao was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. This is where the wedding was held and was truley a Paradise. The atmosphere and the food is second to none and I would recomend a evening here. I am not sure of the cost as we were guests at the wedding held there but either way it would be worth what ever the charge. The beach is not a swimming beach but we did swim a bit and others do, there are calm areas with a 5-10 minute walk. The beach was fabulous, no garbage or hazards that we seen and believe me I have a watchful eye. The sand was amazing on the feet, never did I encounter a rock or rough area. The water temperature was great, I didn't know what to expect as I have never been in an ocean. I was glad for the beach vendors, It was convenient to have things at your finger tips if you needed and they would never hastle you if you said no.

In A condensed version I would highly recomend the Dorado Pacifico, it is not an all inclusive and I really like that. Everything is so accesible from this PRIME location that you can access anything you need and have variety throughout your trip. We constantly read reviews of boring food or drinks, this way you can change it up. I really hope this review is helpful and hope you have an awsome stay in beautiful Ixtapa when you go.

• Liked — Comfortable,Clean and Prime location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
british columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We stayed at the Dorado Pacifico between Jan. 12th - 26th and were extremely happy with this hotel.

Although we didn't spend a lot of time there (we were usually on the go elsewhere) it isn't hard to see that the rumours about the early morning chair savers are absolutely true. It's like an Olympic sport down there. People are very possessive of their spots once they've laid claim to them. It didn't bother us because we weren't usually back from our day trips until 4 or 5pm and by then everyone was packing up and we'd settle in for a couple of hours and the sunset.

The few times we ate at the hotel, the food and service were excellent. The staff are very friendly and accomodating.

Although the rooms were cleaned daily, I did notice some inconsistency in the level of cleaning. I guess it depended on who you got that day. I really noticed the difference on a day that they thought we were changing rooms (we ended up not moving) but our room got a real going over that day. That's when I noticed the sink wasn't actually getting cleaned every day. Just little things like that. As far as the floors and clean towels (the important stuff) it was great.

We found the average age of the guests to be around 40 and up. So if you want to party all night this is not the spot. It's very quiet and peaceful at night. The one night we did come stumbling in late, the place was a ghost town.

The $15 per day room credit is a nice bonus. We used it most nights for a cocktail before dinner or a night cap.

I think we'd probably end up staying right in Zihuatanejo over Ixtapa on our next visit. It's just more suited to our personalities. But if we were to stay in Ixtapa again, we'd choose the Dorado again, no question!!

Oh, yeah, the best part about his hotel for me, was the turtle release!! Very amazing to be involved in that!

Hope this helps for anyone considering this hotel.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Distance from Zihuatanejo
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

Dec.22-Jan.5--14 glorious, relaxing, sunny, warm trouble free stay. Upon arrival, we were given a room on the fifth floor; not to my liking. From previous stays, I prefer a higher floor. At the reception desk, I was told the hotel was fully booked. I told them they would make our stay most miserable if I could not have a room on a higher floor and facing northwest—best view for sunsets! A couple of grumbles and a room on the 14th floor was found. This was the beginning of a wonderful two weeks. Only fly in the ointment was not with the hotel but with Contactours and transfers. Don’t use them; not only do you pay a high rate but then they hound you constantly attempting to sell tours, etc. You are better off getting a cab at the airport to the hotel—about $50 if you do not want to share; about $21 from hotel to airport.

• Liked — Service and beach view.
  • Disliked — Xmas and New Years celebration noise cannot be totally blocked out.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

The Dorado Pacifico was a great hotel in Ixtapa. I am glad we decided to stay here. The staff is extremely helpful and bilingual. We went over Christmas, and at the beginning of our vacation, a lot of Mexican nationals were vacationing. The activity staff (mainly Jonathon) made sure to say everything in English and Spanish.
There were tons of activities everyday for us. Bocci Ball, water volleyball, beach volleyball, water polo, diving for marbles for the kids.... Endless... They were totally optional, which was good when we just wanted to relax. The view is amazing.
The rooms were nice. It is Mexico, so it isn't like a 5 star U.S. hotel. Tile floors, nice bathrooms, hard beds. We didn't spend much time in the room, and I advise the same. Every room has an oceanview, which is nice. The condo construction (mentioned in other reviews) is finished. We had no problems with noise.
The Dorado Pacifico made our vacation a wonderful experience. I WILL return someday. I ensure your vacation will be just as great if you book at the Dorado Pacifico.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa? Share your experiences!