“Excellent deal for the cost!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fontan Ixtapa

You added Hotel Fontan Ixtapa to your Saves list
Hotel Fontan Ixtapa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Ixtapa S/N | Zona Hotelera, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Ixtapa
Teslin, Canada
“Excellent deal for the cost!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for the week of Feb 17-24 2013. We first of all upgraded our room to a suite which was great! They have a loft upstairs with another full washroom which was so ideal for my husband and I trying to get ready to go out in the evenings. Honestly I had never heard of Ixtapa before we pulled it up and saw the cost of it on Aircanada Vacations...1 week all inclusive from Whitehorse Yukon Territory Canada $1250.00 per person. Cheap Cheap Cheap (we pay $600.00 from Whitehorse to Calgary AB just so we can catch a flight out of the country) Ixtapa is absoloutly gorgeous and not completely commercialized is what I liked the most about it. Staying at the Fontan we were close to all the shops and if our feet were sore one day and we wanted to get to the other end of the strip we jumped on a bus which run every couple minutes or atleast it seemed that way. The buses I will admit were flippin crazy but we arrived everywhere safe for a fee of about 7 pesos (0.70 cents) . The beach in front of the Fontan is beautiful and they have parasailing along the beach which we all did for another meesly $30 US. After a couple tequilas its not even scary just rather a beautiful peaceful sightseeing tour in the clouds..lol. I read quite a few reviews in here and I was alittle worried but we didnt go expecting a 5 star, but we did get that for service most definately. We had brought toys and small gifts from the dollar store for our chambermaid and to distribute to the small children in Zihuatanejo. It was life altering let me tell you, lots of poverty in Zihuatanejo. Those kids face lit up like you wouldnt believe, it was amazing. We did a few tours such as the town tour of Zihuatanejo and visited the museums and a brick making factory in the countryside. We also went to swim with the dolphins and that was pretty amazing seeing none of us had done that before. Ixtapa Island was something we decided to do on our last full day and WOW we wished we had done it at the beginning because we would have liked to go back again. When you get to the beach that you catch the boat to Ixtapa Island there are tonnes of crocodiles and iguanas in an enclosure . You catch a water taxi over to the island. We treated ourselves to couples massage for another whooping $20 US Each and did some snorkeling. Get there early cause it fills up by about 11am. I loved this hotel because quite honestly the price we paid for our whole trip (1250 each) it was like we got the hotel and food free so we had breakfast and lunch at the hotel and ventured out and tried dinner at all the restaurants. So cheap for meals compared to what we pay up here in the great north. Already going to rebook for next February but this time 2 weeks!!!

PS - dont get cocky with the bar tenders because our hubbies did one night and they added a little extra to our hubbies drinks, which they called Mexican brandy and we ended up almost taking them to the hospital (absoloutly drugged and puking for hours) be careful. When we go back we will buy our own Vodka at duty free so we ensure this never happens again. We didnt let this ruin our trip or our view on the hotel itself but please do be careful.

Oh Yah one last thing...the fishing was amazing, this is me with my sailfish on the boat "The bloody hook"

Room Tip: Higher up gets you better views, palm trees block the lower rooms view. Suite was very nice size!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed March 24 - March 31, 2013. Just got back yesterday. This is NOT even a 3 star resort.
The room - A/C did not work, beds were hard, toilet flushed when it wanted to, toilet shaked when you sat on it, tv had 2 english channels & no remote, terrace barely fit 2 plastic chairs on it, no safe in room, other couples room had cockroaches. The food - TERRIBLE. Exact same thing EVERYDAY! Never seen one shrimp the entire time, chicken, pork or beef and always cooked the same way. Only two types of fruit eveyerday papaya or pineapple. Ala carte was a joke, 5 entrees to choose from, caesar salad consisted of ONE leaf of romaine lettuce with dressing. Servers and housekeeping were fantastic though ecspexcially Alberto!! Front desk not friendly at all. Drinks were so so, asked for a bahama mama several days and they only had 1/2 a banana one day to make ONE drink. Our kids were never asked to participate in any of the kids games, all the Mexican kids were chosen. Swam in pool ONCE because it was too overcrowded. If you are not on the beach before 8 am don't expect a lounge chair or an umbrella! We figured it was not going to be a 5 star but we were expecting a little bit more of a variety in the meals and a room that was a little better than what it was. The only good thing about this place is the servers other than that spend the extra little bit of money and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Unless you want to sweat and sleep with cockroaches stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
crossfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for only 1 week but wished we had booked for 2. I was a little leery of this after reading the reviews that are posted but don't believe everything you read.This is not a 5 star resort but if you are looking for a nice, well kept resort to go relax in the sun and have a awesome vacation for a very reasonable price don't pass this place up. We met lots of very nice people and had absolutely no complaints about staying here,we didn't expect much when we booked because all we wanted was a relaxing week in the sun and we got much more than we expected. We stayed on the 6 floor with an ocean view with a balcony,can't ask for more than that. We stayed here Mar 10-17 and can't wait to meet back up with Dave &Judy again next year.

• Stayed March 2013
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I pass by this place daily as i live nearby. It has a beautiful setting, white tablecloths, candles, dimmed lighting, a singer, the setting is in a garden and it looks very inviting. I have been wanting to go there for a while and i finally did. I ordered a Tuna Carpaccio and a lemonade. I wait for about 1/2 hour then i get the bread and butter and my order at the same time. I have a bite Tuna Carpaccio, it was ok, nothing great... the rest of the tuna was frozen. I told the waiter and he took my plate back, i waited a few minutes, i did not get my order back, the main waiter was busy, was not able to talk to anyone... i guess they are busy?? so i left... then the main waiter calls me and asked me if i paid for the lemonade... i told him that i left 50 pesos on the table... that was it!! After reading the negative reviews of the hotel, i am glad that i left. I did want to give it a chance when i was there except that i did not get good service and i have no idea what happened to my order.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is our third time at the Fontan and we certainly knew what we would be getting. It's rated 3 stars for a reason so if you're expecting 4 or 5 star, don't stay here. We like it because it's economical and you don't feel like to have to eat every meal at the hotel because of the money you've already spent.. Breakfasts were adequate, lunch at the ala carte is great, supper at the Hacienda was fabulous and buffet suppers were also adequate. We choose to eat out for 5 of our 14 suppers. There are many great restaurants across the street.
The staff here are GREAT!!
We never had a problem finding a place to sit by the pool or the beach. And we were there when it was busy. I loved watching the Mexican families. My advise to people who complain about the large families- please stay away - we'll all have a better vacation.
Our Air Canada rep - Alex, was the BEST!

• Stayed February 2013
Long Beach, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me start,without getting a backlash that no matter what you do,for some Canadian tourists,nothing is to good,but of course it will have to be free.There is not such a thing as a free ride...I question why is it that some of the reviewers did not book a trip at Capella/Ixtapa..for a week where you will pay about 3200 usd and you will not deal with kids,some rust in the rooms,no Interent in the room,you will deal however with the musty smell[you will get this no matter where will go considering the 100% humidity,unless you have a natural cross air ventilation system].Fontan does need a make over it is true,but the place is clean,the pools are well maintened and the personal has a smile on their face almost all day...try to do this at 33 C. It is a place favored by Mexican families[ and yes..there are maybe about 15 to 20 members in a family] but they are very well behaved,very gracious and will smile at you,unless you are too good to mingle with the crowds[See the Capella/Ixtapa reference].If it bothers you that the Mexicans, in their own country enjoy a vacation,maybe you should not travel, or try go to South Los Angeles,or again,try Capella.Not true that you need to be there at 6am to get a place by the pool.By 8.30/9 am plenty of places.It will get busy after that mainly during the weekend.We used to stay until 11am every day.The beach is very close.It is clean and well maintenend. Be careful ..the waves are big sometimes....obey the life guards.Do not play games with the ocean...you will be taken out in a few seconds.Beds are stiff,rooms are decent size.Food is decent[not a lot to brag about].Across the street some great restaurants: Lapalapa[100% mexican], Da Buffone[Italian], Frank's.Visit the Ixtapa Island by Playa Linda, about 13 pesos by bus, 50 pesos by cab. Zihuateneho is close[ about 7 km] ..the bus is 13 pesos, the cab 55 pesos.Stop by the Market in Zihua,or enjoy a great burger,or French dip at The Captain's Daughter located Downtown or Joe's[ great pizza and sandwiches] or Sirena Gorda right by the waterfront in Centro.
All in all a decent experience for a few days....not sure we will repeat the all inclusive experience....

Room Tip: Do your homework and do not be judgemental
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I went with my wife a couple weeks ago on a romantic getaway and we were having a blast, the food wasn't marvelous but it was decent for the price, the ocean is good to swim, the pool is clean enough regardless of the amount of people and then we got to drinking and that's when it all went to hell.

I had a couple beers (they served me tap, no bottles or cans) and i was feeling like shizzy for hours, then my wife had a couple rum and cokes and she immediately threw up, we gave it a second shot and it was even worse, the drinks are obviously tampered with.

We ended up at a nice little restaurant on Zapotlanejo called "la perla" at a beach called "la ropa" and had an awesome time, but no thanks to this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple