“Hacienda restaurant” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fontan Ixtapa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Fontan Ixtapa to your Saves list
Hotel Fontan Ixtapa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Ixtapa S/N | Zona Hotelera, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Pasadena, California
“Hacienda restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I pass by this place daily as i live nearby. It has a beautiful setting, white tablecloths, candles, dimmed lighting, a singer, the setting is in a garden and it looks very inviting. I have been wanting to go there for a while and i finally did. I ordered a Tuna Carpaccio and a lemonade. I wait for about 1/2 hour then i get the bread and butter and my order at the same time. I have a bite Tuna Carpaccio, it was ok, nothing great... the rest of the tuna was frozen. I told the waiter and he took my plate back, i waited a few minutes, i did not get my order back, the main waiter was busy, was not able to talk to anyone... i guess they are busy?? so i left... then the main waiter calls me and asked me if i paid for the lemonade... i told him that i left 50 pesos on the table... that was it!! After reading the negative reviews of the hotel, i am glad that i left. I did want to give it a chance when i was there except that i did not get good service and i have no idea what happened to my order.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is our third time at the Fontan and we certainly knew what we would be getting. It's rated 3 stars for a reason so if you're expecting 4 or 5 star, don't stay here. We like it because it's economical and you don't feel like to have to eat every meal at the hotel because of the money you've already spent.. Breakfasts were adequate, lunch at the ala carte is great, supper at the Hacienda was fabulous and buffet suppers were also adequate. We choose to eat out for 5 of our 14 suppers. There are many great restaurants across the street.
The staff here are GREAT!!
We never had a problem finding a place to sit by the pool or the beach. And we were there when it was busy. I loved watching the Mexican families. My advise to people who complain about the large families- please stay away - we'll all have a better vacation.
Our Air Canada rep - Alex, was the BEST!

• Stayed February 2013
Long Beach, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me start,without getting a backlash that no matter what you do,for some Canadian tourists,nothing is to good,but of course it will have to be free.There is not such a thing as a free ride...I question why is it that some of the reviewers did not book a trip at Capella/Ixtapa..for a week where you will pay about 3200 usd and you will not deal with kids,some rust in the rooms,no Interent in the room,you will deal however with the musty smell[you will get this no matter where will go considering the 100% humidity,unless you have a natural cross air ventilation system].Fontan does need a make over it is true,but the place is clean,the pools are well maintened and the personal has a smile on their face almost all day...try to do this at 33 C. It is a place favored by Mexican families[ and yes..there are maybe about 15 to 20 members in a family] but they are very well behaved,very gracious and will smile at you,unless you are too good to mingle with the crowds[See the Capella/Ixtapa reference].If it bothers you that the Mexicans, in their own country enjoy a vacation,maybe you should not travel, or try go to South Los Angeles,or again,try Capella.Not true that you need to be there at 6am to get a place by the pool.By 8.30/9 am plenty of places.It will get busy after that mainly during the weekend.We used to stay until 11am every day.The beach is very close.It is clean and well maintenend. Be careful ..the waves are big sometimes....obey the life guards.Do not play games with the ocean...you will be taken out in a few seconds.Beds are stiff,rooms are decent size.Food is decent[not a lot to brag about].Across the street some great restaurants: Lapalapa[100% mexican], Da Buffone[Italian], Frank's.Visit the Ixtapa Island by Playa Linda, about 13 pesos by bus, 50 pesos by cab. Zihuateneho is close[ about 7 km] ..the bus is 13 pesos, the cab 55 pesos.Stop by the Market in Zihua,or enjoy a great burger,or French dip at The Captain's Daughter located Downtown or Joe's[ great pizza and sandwiches] or Sirena Gorda right by the waterfront in Centro.
All in all a decent experience for a few days....not sure we will repeat the all inclusive experience....

Room Tip: Do your homework and do not be judgemental
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I went with my wife a couple weeks ago on a romantic getaway and we were having a blast, the food wasn't marvelous but it was decent for the price, the ocean is good to swim, the pool is clean enough regardless of the amount of people and then we got to drinking and that's when it all went to hell.

I had a couple beers (they served me tap, no bottles or cans) and i was feeling like shizzy for hours, then my wife had a couple rum and cokes and she immediately threw up, we gave it a second shot and it was even worse, the drinks are obviously tampered with.

We ended up at a nice little restaurant on Zapotlanejo called "la perla" at a beach called "la ropa" and had an awesome time, but no thanks to this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milford, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had an average experience at the Fontan. The best part was we went Monday - Thursday, so it wasn't crowded, even though this is supposedly peak season. The pools are excellent. Plenty of space, and the ocean was marvelous, although the views from our room wasn't terrific-ly great. Rooms were sufficient for the priceline price I paid. I would have preferred a little more light in the shower, but loved the water pressure. (Lots) No internet in the rooms, but the reception area had comfortable seating to go online, using your own device. Staff was easy to work with -- most speak english.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better, since the trees are kind of tall.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Penticton, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is one of the worst we have ever visited. upon arrival it became apparent that the hotel was not equiped for quick and easy check ins. It took the better part of an hour to get checked in and to our room
Our room was the same story, The closet was blocked by a bed which made it unusable. We had to call maintenance to find the light switches for the room and of course they were right where they should have been, hidden by the pillows on the bed. The bathroom sink taps were rusted and mold was apparent in the tub area. The shower nozzel was only high enough for a little person to have a shower, which was an issue given that I am 5ft 11 in. tall. And even though we requested a king bed we were given a room with two small double beds. The nice thing about the room was the view from the balcony. We requested a room change and were told that one may be available the next evening. Please note that this hotel only has safes at the front desk and there is no coffee makers in the rooms. When you arrive you receive two small bottles of water and after they are gone you are expected to purchase them from the hotel at a cost of 2.50 us. per bottle or go across to the market and buy water from the grocery. I would never consider this as all inclusive. Even the basic need of water should be included.

The hotel restaurants were not good. Very limited buffet items , alot of pressed meat substances being passed off as beef or ham or whatever. In saying this the wait staff really tried to make you feel good. They all were amazing, always smiling and always willing to do what they could for you, but the owners really are holding them back from excelling . The owners need to put some serious money into this place for it to be considered a 3 star resort. as it is I would only consider this resort as a 1 star with 5 star staff.

People from outside of mexico should know that this hotel caters to the local clients, and the hotel was 95 % local when we were there from Dec 23 to Dec 25 2012 . We moved to another hotel ( more on that and shame on you air canada)

Towel games at the pool. Note that if you are not out there early ( before 8 am ) you will not have a chair by the pool. or on the beach for that matter. So for the 2 days we were there we sat in the lobby of the hotel which is dark quiet and dank. not my idea of a sunshine destination vacation. The locals had all the chairs by the pool locked down and the chairs on the beach. They would spend the morning on the beach and the afternoon in the pools to clean off all the sand from the beach. Yuck

When we requested a hotel upgrade early am Dec 24 with our air canada rep eduardo he simply said he would see what he could do. My husband and another family argued with the area air canada rep Lise Trottiere trying to get an upgrade Finally mid Dec 25 we were told it was going to cost us 995 dollors more plus we were being penalized for the two nights we had stayed at the hotel fontan. We found this to be outrageous as we had already paid for those nights. but refused to stay another night at the hotel fontan.

Again shame on you air canada vacations. Eduardo , and Lise Trottiere.

Having stayed only two days here at the hotel fontan , our recommedation is to find another hotel to stay at. this is not a 3 star resort and never will be unless the management and owners put some money and effort into this establishment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We read the reviews prior going and we thought that people were exagerating. Unfortunately, they were not! The hotel was packed with locals all week. We saw mexican families of 14 people. One day, I counted 42 kids in the pool. That also makes it a bit difficult for line up for the buffet. Which is basically the same thing all week. Meat and potatoes with a mexican flavour.

There are not enough chairs by the pool and on beach. If you want a chair, you have to set up your alarm clock for 6am which we refused to do for the first three days of our trip and we then had to sit on the sand all day. They are also very limited amount of beach towels. We had to keep the same towels for two days as they were running out.

Evening shows are ridiculous. I had no interest in watching a guy dressed up at Witney Houston doing lipskink or fake Disney Character dressed is very old costumes. Every shows were 100% in spanish. Which is another issue on the resort. Every announcements, activities, posters, etc. is completely in spanish. I felt very out of place.

We only got one A la carte evening at the restaurant next door. Food was good there. Besides that, we did the buffet 3 times a day for 6 days. It got really boring and felt like I was going to the soup kitchen.

Another major issue for me was that they did not include the bottles of water. If you request water with your meal, you were charged 2,50 a bottle.

We loved Ixtapa. It's a very beautiful place but I will NEVER go to Fontan Resort ever again. Even the Air Canada guy told me that he was shock that Air Canada Vacations were still sending Canadians to this resort. When we spoke to Lise Trottier (Air Canada rep ) she was really rude to us and instead of fighting with her, we decided to suck it up and stay the whole week but I learned a very good lesson. Three stars hotel in Mexico can very well mean less than basic.

Room Tip: Room higher than floor six have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Fontan Ixtapa? Share your experiences!