“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Ixtapa

Save Saved
You added Azul Ixtapa to your Saves list
Azul Ixtapa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevar Paseo Punta Ixtapa s/n Lote 2, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico (Formerly Melia Azul Ixtapa)   |
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Centennial, Colorado
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Both myself and my wife stayed at this resort from Feb. 16th to Feb. 23rd. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was not in the main building, but in an adjacent building on the 9th floor with a great view of the resort, beach and ocean. Good size balcony with two chairs. The room was very spacious with an extra large king size bed. Nice bathroom with tub and shower. The houskeeping staff did a VERY good job. Everything was very clean. The resort is very spacious with two big pools, one lower and one upper. You will have to walk around these pools to get to the beach. Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. I think they should consider placing some chairs around the pool areas to accomodate people who would rather sit than recline. Very good drink service around the pools, but none on the beach. Bars were easily reached in the pool areas. The restaurants were good to very good. I would suggest going to the Oyster Bar restaurant and the Costa Azul resturants for you reservation dinners. Costa Azul is currently being refurbished. We went to the Oyster Bar twice and found the food to be very good, and so was the wine. Fabiano and Thomas gave us great service. We found the buffets to be very tasty, but I would like to see more desserts made available. We ate most of our breakfasts at Colores with a terrace that sits on the ocean. Great coffee and the food was very good with a nice selection. Service was excellent. Great entertainment, which was very professional. Have a drink at sunset in the El Palmar lobby bar. Be sure to get a tiquela with an sangrita chaser. Carlos was a very good and helpful waiter. Walk along the beach past the peer into Playa Linda. Beautiful beach with no one on the beach except weekends. The tiny shops make for good tourist shopping. Local bus ride into Ixtapa (10 minutes) is nine pesos, into Zihuatanejo (25 minutes) is ten pesos. A peso is less than a US dollar. Be sure to get on the bus that says Playa Linda, Ixtapa, Zihau. In Zihau tell the bus driver to let you off on Ave Cinco de Mayo and walk down to the bay. You can catch the return bus on the opposit corner. Many shops along Cinco de Mayo and in the bay district. We did notice more people at this resort on the weekends, with families. Everyone was friendly. We would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Couldn't have had a better experience. Room was great, service was outstanding, drinks were excellent, and food was good (especially in the ala carte venues.. There were lots of kids, but this did not bother my wife and I. Above all, the weather in Ixtapa is the best in Mexico; everyday was sunny and 87. The only drawback is the beach area where it is a bit rocky and the sand is dark.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views. A kayak trip to Ixtapa Island was fun.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our first time to Ixtapa, Mexico. We are absolutely in love with this hotel! the oceanview is breathtaking! The staff were friendly and happy all the time. The room was beautiful and we would absolutely go back! We are planning another trip to Ixtapa for November and this is the hotel we are definitely going back to!

Room Tip: We found that staying on the side tower was best for us after being in the sun all day, it was a wel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Unalaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am happy to write a report on our stay at the Azul, it was just the most wonderful time away my husband and I have ever had.
We are a family of four with young kids ages 4 and 6, this is our sixth time to the area yet our first to this resort and we will most certainly be back. The Azul staff go above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be, we stayed 14 days and every day was as good or better than the last.
We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View room which I feel was most likely the hotels basic room, it was more than sufficient considering that we were barely there. The beds were terrific and the maid staff did an excellent job cleaning up and leaving fresh flowers etc... daily. The food never dissapointed us...ever! It was always fresh and if there was something that we wanted but didn't see available all we had to do was ask and it was brought to us with a smile. Thank you to Carlos in the Colours resteraunt for always starting our day with a smile and the best service. If you have small children you will be pleased to know that the staff at the Azul make it there full time job to accommodate your children. No matter what the catastrophe they always smile and say "no problem!" Even in the resorts fine dining restaurants children are welcome and catered to. The resort grounds were spotless and I never went into a bathroom that was less than impeccable. As for the recreation staff...we loved them. Thank you especially to Sergio for making my kids experience so memorable. I must also mention the two Tony's for being so great to my family. We took advantage of the kids club many times and we felt very comfortable leaving our kids in there capable hands. For those of you concerned about overall safety let me assure you that you have no reason to worry and that they take many measures to ensure your families safety from security guards to carefully guarded swimming pools. My husband and I both used the gym facilities daily, it is in the heart of the resort and you were able to take part in whatever activity you choose without feeling like your tucked away in the back forty of the hotel. The evening entertainment was really great, we enjoyed all the shows and it was a wonderful way to end the day. The "Lobby Bar" was a great way to get your last laugh in before bed and a great meeting place before or after dinner and the show, they had live music every night and Jose and his staff at the bar were attentive to your every need.
I cannot say enough really about the job they do here at the Azul and all I am left to say is thank you so much for giving us such an extraordinary experience!
Christina, Jason, Gavin and Stella

Room Tip: Basic rooms have a killer view but no balcony so ifthis is important to you make sure you choose a r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Azul Ixtapa A, Director General at Azul Ixtapa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of the General Manager we want to give you the warmest thanks for your recent stay with us.
We remain our gratefulness for your comments and look forward for the opportunity to welcome you again in the nearest future

Cordially,
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The resort was really beautiful, and the service was impeccable! Well, except for the front desk, which I'll get into later. We were supposed to have 2 beds and a balcony, when we got to our room, there was no balcony (we are smokers and so needed this because smoking isn't allowed in rooms.) Zenon, our bell boy, got on the phone, and within a minute said "follow me" and we went to another room (his key didn't work, so within 2 minutes he went to the desk, got us new keys, and had us in the room.) The room was great, beautiful view of Ixtapa Island and the bay, the pools are multi-level with waterfalls going to lower levels, and the kids pool is incredible! Lots of things for kids to do here, great family resort! The buffets were good, basic buffet food, but my husband loved the oriental night (fresh sushi) and the italian night was pretty good, too. Breakfast also had omelet and tortilla stations, and many varieties of fresh juice. We did not eat at the Costa Azul (mediterranean) but did eat at the Oyster Bar out on the point (bring a sweater, the wind can get a little chilly!) Great shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp! The surf and turf was pretty good, and the desserts were wonderful! The beach is NOT white sand, so if you can't live without that, this is not the resort for you. The coastline is very rocky with many mountains in the background, so there is just a small swimming area on the beach, and the water is usually pretty sandy from the waves, no not real clear. Walk down the beach past the pier to th public beach if you want white sand (about 1 mile, nice, easy walk) and there are some great little beach bars (La Palapa, see Santos and Susanna, they have a boat in Zihua that they will take you out on snorkel or fishing trips - absolutely fantastic and they do whatever YOU want, no tour schedule to follow! We went to Los Gatos, Playa Manzanillo - beautiful coral with caves and canyons, colorful fish and stingrays - and Ixtapa Island, good snorkeling, beach bars, and deer paths up the cliffs to get incredible views down to the water!) Wonderful trip, we saw (from the boat) dolphins, fin whales and a huge sea turtle, and lots of schools of mahi-mahi, along with a breathtaking coastline and beautiful rocky islands out in the sea.
The lobby bar has music every night - Filiberto (Berto,) Carlos and Jose Rosas are incredible...get to know them, you won't be sorry! We had a great time here almost every night after dinner. The shows were mostly dancing - good dance troupe, if you are into that, and they start early and end by 10pm every night. Disco was not open while we were there, it was a pretty slow week, but gets very busy with families from Mexico City on the weekends (beautiful, well behaved children!) All in all, I would compare the service we received from Jose, Zenon, Berto and Carlos (along with any others in the buffet restaurants) to rival Ritz Carlton - seriously! The front desk people were pleasant enough, but not very helpful any time we went there...go to the bell men, they are more than willing to help. This resort does not take American dollars at any shop, nor will they exchange at the desk, so if you need change, get it at the airport before going here, or walk down to the beach bars past the pier. The will allow you to pay with a credit card in the shops, but would not even change $20 into pesos at the shop or the front desk. (Usually the waiters are more than happy to oblige, if you want even up 10% exchange.) Tip a 1-2 dollars at the restaurants and bars, and you will have excellent service all week! Bring a lot of 1's and 5's if you are American, as you cannot get change easily! I would go back to this resort in a second, really, really good experience and location (the end of the line, too far to walk into town, but the bus into Ixtapa for the chain restaurants and stores is 80 pesos (about 40 cents - but get pesos at the airport!) or you can take a cab for $5. Cab ride into Zihua is $15 each way, but it's a great little town with a lot of restaurants, bars and markets, and a beautiful bay. We walked around for 8 hours, until after midnight, and it was great! Check out Galeanas on the beach for dinner (Alejandro was great!) and Pocallos on Nicolas Bravo (2nd street parallel to the beach) for a live band that plays oldies, and 2 for $5 beers during the music (8-11 or so.) Would like to check out some of the nicer restaurants up on the hillside in the bay sometime, maybe when we go back next time! And we will be back, this was an incredibly beautiful place, no big town party feel like Cancun or Puerta Vallarta, this is a laid back vacation to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery and people!

Room Tip: Get a room higher up (15-19) with a balcony for a great sunset view each night, but bring bug spray...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

I would like to express our gratitude for your kindly preference, especially for the time that you have taken to let us know your comments about your stay in our hotel

We are delighted that you enjoyed most of the hotel areas.

We appreciate your preference and look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Cordially.- General Manager
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our stay at the Azul Ixtapa was really wonderful.
We were there for two weeks and we really enjoyed our time. The hotel was great and the staff tried hard to make our stay pleasant. It was unique because we seemed to be one of the only guests staying there that was not Mexican. I really liked that!
The room was large with a big bathroom. It was clean and well maintained throughout our stay. There was no free wifi in the room but sometimes I could point my phone towards the pool from the window and I got wifi.
The pools were great to cool down during the hot days. There were children everywhere (to note) but there was an adult pool to get away from them when you wanted.
We were with family members who had kids and the little ones had great activities to do each day.
The beach is not white sand but it was lovely just the same. On the beach we took a kayak/ snorkel trip to the island. It was a lot of fun. Good snorkelling!
Used the gym a few times over the stay. I especially recommend the TRX class, very professional teacher!
The hotel tried hard in their restaurants. As a vegetarian, I had a few difficulties. It was difficult to get them to understand that I did not eat meat or fish. They tried to accommodate me the best they could. I never had issues with breakfast, it was usually my biggest, most complete meal. Of what I did eat, the food was good!
I would recommend the Azul Ixtapa for a sweet vacation in Ixtapa, Mexico.

• Stayed December 2012
Mount Vernon, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here Jan 21-28, and for the most part, really enjoyed everything.
Of course read many reviews, and have to question some of them that either rant or rave, and have no profile or any other reviews written, I have a hard time considering them genuine.
We stayed last year at the Sunscapes, another AI, and wanted to try another AI. The ratings here looked good.

We had some quirks when we arrived. We paid extra for a balcony room, and when we arrived at our room we noticed 2 water bottles, and one glass. The room safe did not work, they have a small refrigerator in the room, but nothing in it. At the Sunscape they stock them with sodas and beer, but apparently they do not do this here. The room had a king size bed, but to sit or lay on it, you sank about 75% to the bottom, as no support, it felt like just springs. I know everyone has a different opinion on mattresses, but it would have killed my wife and myself to sleep on it. She had back surgery within the last year, and we both need a firmer mattress. The front desk took me around to a few other rooms, in 2 buildings, another with a king bed, same mattress. The other option were rooms with 2 queen beds, some with firmer mattresses. That was our best option, and took it. The individual from the front desk was very committed to accomodate us, and we appreciated it. After an hour we had a new room.
There was no DVD player in the room, but they found and delivered one. No Refridge.
The bed light had a short in it and had to be swiveled upside down to work, but that got repaired the next day. The room safe in this room had to be reset as it did not work. Even then, it took two entries each time to open and close it.
We asked for face washclothes, but no one there knew what they were, and consequently did not have any. Mid stay, 2 arrived, but disappeared with housekeeping after two days. The rooms were cleaned promptly, and the beds usually turned down in the evening, along with an occasional towel animal, and chocolates on the pillows.
The room otherwise was clean, large bathroom area, the bath towels are 3X5 feet in size, very nice and large, all the shampoos, soaps and lotions.
We would have liked to have a coffee maker in the room. We asked, but never got one. In the lobby or restaurants have styrofoam 5oz cups you could fill and take to the room, but that was a chore to do. No lids, so coffee spilling along the way. They would not give me a carafe to use.
No clock in the room, this was listed as supplied in the rooms.
Water bottles are supplied everyday.
What would have been nice is to have a brochure listing all the hotel features, they have a little hotel map, but you are on your own to discover all the hotel has to offer.
There is a daily schedule one gets in the lobby in the morning listing which restaurants are open, the times, and description of the menus, they were about 75% accurate.
The hotel is kept very clean and is well maintained. We had a hall light bulb go out in our room one day, didn't mention it, and it was replaced before the end of the day.

Food: This was important to us, and we were pleasantly surprised. Its not Taco-Bell American/Mexican food, but what I would say authentic Mexican food. We found a large variety, and not much of a repeating menu. It seemed like everyday there was something new to try. It was always hot and very appetizing.
The food was not full of 'fat', like we tend to have in the U.S., and always lots of fresh fruit and juices. 6 different juices in La Terraza restaurant.
We ate at the Oyster Bar and La Terraza speciality restaurants, and found them very good.
There was a convention going on next door, that did not impact us, the hotel seemed like it was a third full. At any time only about 25% of the pool chairs were used, the restaurants not very full. The two speciality restaurants seemed like there were no more then 20-25 people eating there at any time. I am not complaining, I enjoyed not having a lot of guests there, the management mentioned that their occupancy was lower then they had forecast for. We plan our vacations later in the month of January, as schools starts up again, and places are not very full.
We never had any problem booking the speciality restaurants or any wait at any other venue.
Overall, we were very pleased with all the food, variety and the service.

Pools: As I mentioned, the pool always seemed empty. There were always plenty of open chairs to use, and since there are 3 different pool areas, there is a varietyof areas to sit at. We usually need a shady area, as we are so light skinned, and burn quickly. The waiters at the pools were always prompt to bring drinks around, like the other employees at the resort, they did a great job. We usually opted for the Pina-Colodas, no liquor, at the pools, very good and refreshing, and addicting.
They do have swimming areas roped off in the ocean, but majority of the time, we stayed at the pools.
There are life guards present around the pools, so those with little ones, could feel safe that something drastic does not happen. At times they had to blow their whistles, to keep folks from doing something they shouldn't at the pools. (Like jumping or diving).

Activities: This was great, this is a lot available to do. We did the kayaking over to Ixtapa Island, about 15 minutes each way, and were taken to the other side to snorkel. All gear is included. Anticipate 1 1/2 hours total time.
Also did the bike riding, this is an easy ride, about 5 KM round trip, and down to see the alligators, turtles, birds, iguanas, at the park just down from the resort.
We were taken out on the little Hobie Cats sailboats for a ride in the bay. This is available at 2, 3 and 4 o'clock each afternoon, when the wind kicks up.
All the employees running these always did a great job. They are to be commended.
As I mentioned there is a lot to do, but these were the only activities we were interested in.
They have a very good gym and climbing wall, and the daily schedule lists everything. You can sign up the day before, or that day, if space is available.
Also a list of activities for the younger ones. It was just my wife and myself, but the Azul is very kid friendly.

Gift Shops: We went in, but they do not accept U.S. Dollars, no U.S currency exchange at the front desk, but will take Canadian dollars. So we were out of luck to buy anything. If we bought something and put it on our credit cards, the fees and exchange rates, did not make sense for us to do.

Entertainment: Lots of variety for the kids and families during the day and evenings, but we did not attend any of the nite shows. We could see the stage shows from our balcony.

During our initial arrival, going through the process of changing rooms, and getting situated, we were informed about the New Grand Azul next door, and how the new hotel and rooms were something to consider. Apparently it took 5 years for the hotel to be completed and opened late last year. It appeared to only be about 5-10% occupied. I mentioned I could not find a web site for the new hotel, and that the Azul Ixtapa only has a web site in Spanish, not available in English. Suggested if they wanted to advertise it, to make information available in English, they would likely have more folks staying there. This led to the promise to be given a tour of the new hotel.
We agreed to this, signed a piece of paper stating that we would get an hour tour, and $600 peso's to spend at the gift shop afterwards. (Which we did, bought a Azul t-shirt and a water bottle).
We thought we would consider coming again next year and staying there, as it was new and another location to consider for the future. If they offered us a good deal/package, we would be interested.
This required each of us to bring our drivers license and our credit cards. We were told this was necessary, to get 'credit' from the credit card company for giving a tour. (What,? The reason for bringing the credit cards is so you can charge/finance the cost of their Travel Club). No numbers were taken, just shown to them. We told them we were not interested in buying into any "Time Share", and we were promised that was not what it was about. (There are others staked out in the hotel selling those as well, if you are interested).
Well, this ended up being a 3 hour sales pitch to join their "Travel Club".
This was a typical, standard selling pitch, typical of a car salesmen approach. Handed off to different salesmen, with a lot of very untruthful claims. We were told that their "Travel Club" was approved and endorsed by the United States, Federal Trade Commission, (F.T.C), and the Securities and Exchange Commission, (S.E.C.), (which is involved with stock trading), (I am a retired stock broker), the claims and very questionable statements were quite interesting.
For $19,950 U.S. Dollars, $2,000 in closing costs, and $2,000 Mexican Federal tax, and a maintenance fee of $400 to $600 a week while we stayed, we could stay at the Azul, and other locations, by buying their "points".
We asked to pull up what hotels were available in Dublin, Ireland and Barcelona, Spain, two current itineraries we are currently working on, which they did on their laptop computer. Nothing was available, these are world wide destination cities. They said they also could offer ship cruises, at better prices. We had booked a cruise recently, and inquired how much it would be through their Travel Club. It was the same price we just paid.
They had a 2010 booklet of the hotels you could stay at. No answer why they did not have a current booklet.
We were told many folks use it and are happy with it. Some folks we met while at the Azul bought into it years ago, and have had nothing but trouble dealing with it all.
These programs are sold to folks, many times, with questionable practices. Folks do not seek them out, as they financially do not make sense to purchase for the majority of people.
I did a Google search when I returned home, for their Travel Club, "Problems", and everyone has the same issue with them. paying lots of fees, poor and no service, and no resolutions, etc.
They sell them because they make lots of money on them. Do a quick calculation, and you can see it can generate millions of dollars a year for the hotel, and for the people selling them.
During the week I noticed the salesmen staking out guests in the lobby, offering and taking them on the tour, and giving them the sales pitch in the lobby areas.
We did not appreciate being "tricked" into their presentation. Much of what they told us did not make sense, their promises of their Travel Club were not very believable, it was a convoluted 'Time Share' type sales pitch.
It puts a bad light on the hotel to push this, but they do it because they make a lot of money on them.
If you are interested in seeing the new Grand Azul feel free to do so, but this is what its really all about.
I mention this, as it's part of how they operate this hotel, and if you stay here, you decide if you want to participate in it.

The Grand Azul has everything the Azul has, but its nice and new, and beautiful. Has the infinity Pool edge, they were gorgeous. The rooms have a good size Jacuzzi tubs in them, done very nicely. We could enjoy staying there.

Over all, except for the Travel Club, and minor issues, we really enjoyed the Azul, the hotel and grounds, and layout are beautiful, the food, activities, employees are all great, and would look to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Azul Ixtapa? Share your experiences!