We just returned from our fifth stay at the Barcelo Resort (9th time in Ixtapa). We were very please to experience the changes that we had indicated the past few years on our Comment Card (when checking out) actually happened!!
This year, the children were NOT allowed in the adult (swim up bar) pool! Of course, the parents and older kids would 'try' .. but each time shot down by the lifeguard! This was perfect!! no splashing, screaming, or crying while you're trying to enjoy a drink! Yes, the pool bartenders are swammped.. but we found faster cocktails come at the swim up location :) as there is only one person working the stand-in-line location to order..
Secondly, the rooms are being remodeled, yes from the top floors down. We were lucky enough to be on the 9th floor this year. We had NEW BEDS (which was an amazing change from the BOARDS they used to have..) and new white plush comforters.. a NEW walk-in tiled shower with a sunflower shower head in the ceiling! Very nice change as well.. Our room AC was awesome!
Also, this year they also do not allow reserving lounge chairs! This was a surprise, as yes we are those people...haha.. But a rule is a rule.. you can reserve your chair as long as you stay in/around it! Completely understandable.. and it was okay to leave your towel on your chair and leave AFTER 7:30-8:00am.. and we were okay with that :) Each morning the guys would head down to the pool, place our towels on our chairs and sit around drinking coffee and talking smart until breakfast.. (It was a 'bonding time' for the men..)
As far as the "Don Q" restaurant, I agree with the other reviews.. We were not impressed with the food selection, time hours it took to go through the process, nor the dark room where you could not even read the (confusing) menu.. Although our waiter was awesome.. we DID enjoy the Spanish Coffee the best! We did not go back for our allowed additional times there.. But, there was nice changes to the Sunset, two of the three times we took advantage of making reservations there! (not sure why the 3rd time was different, but hey, it is Mexico.) Be sure to check that out, if you are booking the Barcelo :)
Overall, YES we are already planning next years vacation there.. Like I have said to many returning vacationers about Ixtapa.. "People search alternate locations to find exactly what we have here in IXTAPA!" Nothing compares to the guaranteed weather.. This is why we end up seeing SO many returning people, and now friends at Barcelo each year... once you go to Ixtapa, you WILL go back :)
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Hotel Ixtapa
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Ixtapa
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Resort
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach***** is located in the heart of Ixtapa, right on "El Palmar" beach, one of the most attractive destinations in Mexico. It is the ideal place to go on family holidays, celebrate romantic weddings, organize successful business meetings and also to spend an unforgettable honeymoon. The Barcelo Ixtapa Beach***** hotel offers a convenient way to enjoy your holidays and experience the Barcelo All Inclusive program. It also offers the perfect location for those guests wanting to experience excursions to other parts of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.