“A hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Posada Real Ixtapa to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Posada Real Ixtapa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Ixtapa s/n | Zona Hotelera, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 29 hotels in Ixtapa
Porter, Indiana
“A hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was a little skeptical about staying at the Posada Real after reading the reviews, but as usual, you really need to take the reviews with a grain of salt. I am happy to admit that once I arrived at the hotel and got settled in, I was pleasantly surprised with the Posada Real.

If you're looking for a 5-star resort, this is not your place (nor is any other hotel in Ixtapa), but if you're looking for a VERY clean, comfortable, smaller, more intimate place to stay - a place where you're treated like an individual and not just another nameless, faceless guest, you'll feel right at home at the Posada Real. I've stayed at quite a few of the other "big box" hotels in the hotel zone, and they're mostly all very nice, but my next trip back, I'll definitely stay here. And you really can't beat the price.

I had to go to Ixtapa to take care of some business, so I was drawn to the Posada Real because they gave you the option of either going all-inclusive, or drinks-only inclusive. I wasn't going to be around much most of the day, so staying at an all-inclusive would have been a waste of money for me. Plus, I was traveling solo, and the AI's charged a huge single supplement fee for solo travelers. The biggest bonus was that I still got to stay at a hotel on the beach that was centrally located, and when I did have time to relax, I could do so in one of the best pools in the Hotel Zone, with a (complimentary!) cocktail in hand.

The staff at Posada were outstanding. Super friendly and very helpful. Being that it's a small hotel, if you tell someone your name once, they know you by name for the rest of your stay. Head over to the bar, and your drink is there waiting for you. The food prices ala carte (versus AI) were very reasonable. I thought I would be heading into town for meals more often, but fell in love with their chicken fajitas (delish!) and ended up ordering them almost every day.

The maids left adorable towel creations every day on my bed (better and more creative than I had ever seen). That was a nice touch that I would have never expected out of a hotel of this size. I felt a little weird at first, staying at a resort hotel by myself, but I quickly found myself part of a large "family" of guests who return to this hotel year after year. People from all over the US (primarily the Midwest) and Canada have formed friendships over the years, and actually return at the same time each year so they can meet up with with each other. Many stay for several weeks at a time because it is so affordable to stay at the Posada Real.

My reason for traveling to Ixtapa this year was not a pleasant one - we lost my father last year while he was wintering there. I was retuning to celebrate his life on the anniversary of his passing, and to take care of quite a bit of business and tie up several loose ends. I went there thinking that I would be saying farewell to the land that brought me so much pain the year before, and I ended up leaving, looking forward to my next return. I know that when I return to the Posada Real next year, the same staff will be there to welcome me again with open arms. Most have worked there for several years, and they never forget their guests. And as an added bonus, I'll be returning to reunite with the many friends that I met who will be returning next year. And the year after that, and the year after that . . .

The only thing that I missed at this hotel was a balcony outside of my room, but given the positives - clean, comfortable room, friendly staff, good food, great pool, reasonable prices - I would gladly give up the impersonal big box feel of the larger resorts and return to the Posada. It's a "Norm" kind of place. Cute, quaint, and everyone knows your name. Thanks for making my trip a nice one.

Room Tip: Get a room on floors 3 or 4. The first floor is actually garden level, and the 2nd floor (main level...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, but, it's a bit run down and the rooms were not particularly clean. We had to call the minute we got there because the sheets were dirty! The towels are like sandpaper and those inclusive drinks? Watered down. On the good side....good air conditioning in the room, the food in the restaurant was decent (especially for breakfast) and the pool and location outstanding.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boise, ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is one of the few that we've found that offers drinks inclusive options only. We really enjoy eating out at the local restaurants so perfect for us. The beach is amazing, they have a swim up bar that overlooks to beach, which is equally amazing, and the service is outstanding. It's not crazy busy and really low-key. The rooms are a bit small, but who spends much time in them anyway. They were always clean though.

The location is amazing - we walked everywhere in Ixtapa. There's also a great running trail just outside of the hotel that was nice.

This is our "go-to" in Ixtapa. There are plenty of nicer hotels that offer many more amenities, but that's not what we're about which is why we like it so much. Simple, friendly, relaxing and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: the rooms are all about the same, some ocean view and some not. Definitely having and ocean view is...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This little hidden gem is my favorite place to stay in Ixtapa. It's small and easy to navigate. The staff is extremely attentive, and they are always cleaning. This is the cleanest hotel on the beach!

It's a little off the beaten path - the northernmost hotel on the main strip - and set back from the road.

The all-inclusive drink option rocks, and the drinks are strong. They also provide water coolers of purified water all over the property for your convenience.

Hercules (pool bar waiter) and Magdalena (breakfast omelet lady) along with the rest of the bar and restaurant staff have been very good to us over the years. The front desk staff is also very efficient - never a line. And, the housekeeping staff keeps things very clean, is prompt in fixing up the rooms each day, and leaves cute little towel animals each day.

The breakfast buffet (and menu) is delicious and a great value. Lunch is also tasty. I have never eaten dinner there but hear it is average - probably better to go out to one of the local restaurants in town instead.

The infinity pool is right on the beach and very clean. They have a second, quiet pool in the back of the property as well.

While the rooms do not have balconies, the in-room safe and roomy showers are worth the sacrifice.

I really like the option of packaging this hotel along with airfare, and all-inclusive drink option, on Expedia and other similar sites. Makes the trip to Ixtapa a very good value from the U.S.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms if possible. Try to get a room toward the center of the building to avoid...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kamloops, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We decided to break up our 2 wks this year and spend our first week here at the Posada. The staff are wonderful and we became friends with a lot of them. The service is great and the gals who cleaned rooms are as usual very good.
The room itself is adequate,small but then we just slept in our rooms. They served very good quality alcohol and the drinks were very good. We did receive coffee and tea when asked,we loved the swim up bar. And for me not having to get up early to get a table on the beach or around the pool was really nice.
We weren't too happy with the food, I love anything when I don't have to cook but do have to say it wasn't really good. I hate to complain but have to say this.
It was nice to stay in a place that was quiet and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We flew in here January 2 with Westjet out of Calgary. I can't believe that there aren't any Canadians or americans left. there were a few the first few days. A few very nice Mexicans, some of whom speak some English. We may be the last gringos left! People, this place is wonderful. Doesn't have balconies but we don't care. Went to Ixtapa island today for snorkeling. Would recommend it, but go to the second drop off and then walk straight through to the opposite beach. You will find lots of fish to see. The buffet food is not much except for the breakfast, but because we are all inclusive, we can order off the menu which is great! Don't overlook this place. Its great!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same either two beds or one king. If you are on the front you have a good vie...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week starting Dec 12, 2012. I admit that we did not have high expectations given some of the previous reviews, however we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel provided good, clean, basic accommodation, with good overall staff experiences. If you are a "5-star" type of person, then this place is not for you, however if you are looking for a relatively clean convenient place to stay, the Posada will meet your requirements. We are "seasoned" travellers and have stayed at all types of places, and this hotel compares well with other 3 star accommodations.

The hotel is popular with Mexican vacationers and if you are prepared to engage in experiencing a bit of Mexican family culture and practice your Spanish you will enjoy your stay. If you just want to hang out with other Canadians or Americans you may want to stay at one of the bigger resorts.

The infinity pool was excellent, albeit somewhat crowded at times and more tables with umbrellas around the pool are required. The food was basic and could use a little more variety. This wasn't an issue for us since we like to go out and try the local restaurants and bars. The room was on the small side, but was clean and cozy and everything in the room worked. We had a good view of the ocean, although there are no balconies.

Overall, this hotel is a decent budget hotel and is worth considering.

Room Tip: 4th floor, ocean view is good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Real Ixtapa? Share your experiences!