“Don't make the same mistake...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa

You added Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa to your Saves list
Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Ixtapa s/n, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
“Don't make the same mistake...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Please don't visit this place, it was just horrible:

NO WIFI
Old
Dirty
Loud Customers
Bad service
Etc...

I couldn't stay for more than 1 day, it was simply the worst experience we could have, obviously don't even think of bringing children, everyone was wasted at the "pool".

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from this beautiful destination Ixtapa – Zihuatanejo. First of all, thank you for taking time to post your comments in TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important for us, in order to improve our work and to give better experiences to our guest.

In regards to your comments we would like to share that the hotel has Wi Fi service in 138 rooms of our inventory, our clients should pay a fee for this service in room, although we have it available free of charge in some areas like lobby, sport bar and business center. We are a hotel family oriented, as a consequence we have different activities running during the day in the pool. We understand that not all the guests want to be involved in the activities organized by the staff during the day, that is why there is a section of the pool where we do not have music and people can rest in a different ambient.

Finally I would like to inform you that the hotel has been in a renovation process since 2011 when we did renovate 70% of our room inventory. At the end of 2013 we renovated La Isla restaurant, all the palapas in the beach area, the pool bar and we are continuing the process to keep our facilities up to date.

We really appreciate your opinion and hope in a near future you to give us an opportunity to be your host once again.

Best regards
The General Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We just got back from our holiday at the President Inter-Continental in Ixtapa and once again we are already planning next year! We have found this hotel with this staff to be the most amazing "jewel". We have also noticed over the year many renovations have taken place and updates. There is a new chef on site and he has raised the flavor and options. Buffet for lunch and supper has a good variety of options with a mix of Mexican and N. American food choices. The a la cart restaurants have a wonderful addition with Abel - a true gentleman who is the host. Wonderful time - wonderful people we meet there!

One of the joys of this resort is that it is not spread out - so if you forget your sunscreen you don't have a long trek back to your room. It is easy to meet people at the swim up bar, at the pool or at the beach lounge area.

Our list of people wanting and coming with us next year is growing - once you go there you always want to come back! We sure do.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are a real plus - well worth the little extra. Also being a member of the Ambassad...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We just returned from a week in Ixtapa. We stayed at the Presidente and were so pleased we chose this resort. The beds are great, the grounds are clean, the food is good, the beach is outstanding and the staff are the best!! I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a fantasitc holiday. When we first arrived at the pool we met some people who were heading home, they had tears in their eyes as they said good bye to the staff, they had been coming back to the Presidente for years and the staff were like family....they promised us we would have a wonderful trip and they were right. High Fives go out to Carlos, Thomas and Jorge.....We can't wait to come back! Thank you all for making our holiday perfect!!!! Close to everything you would need...we ate at Emillio's and had pizza - I highly recommend it...as well as Franks, but the food on the resort is wonderful too.

Room Tip: Beach front was great but the Superior Pool View rooms would be great as well....the Lobby bar can b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Blaine, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our first visit to the Intercontinental President All-Inclusive Resort in Ixtapa. We were traveling with friends who rave about this place and had been there before so our expectations were moderately high for this hotel. It was also our first time at an all-inclusive resort so we were somewhat unprepared for our experience. I will elaborate on our experience in the following paragraphs.

Location:
The hotel itself sits near the center of the Ixtapa beach corridor. The beach is roughly 1.5 miles long and has a limited amount of space on which to put hotels, so the beach area is fairly limited compared to most other mexican or caribbean resorts we had visited in the past. Because the hotel is near the middle, it was to access the nearby restaurants and shopping. It is roughly a 20 minute ride from the airport and will cost a family of four roughly $40 to take a taxi, which I would encourage over the local timeshare bandits that wait to accost you when you exit the customs area of the Zihuatanejo airport. Access to local transportation was also easy and affordable, with the public bus costing only 6 pesos each way.

Hotel:
The hotel is slightly dated but is well maintained. Most rooms have modern amenities included (such as tv, telephone, radio, workable toilet, in-room safe, etc). But beware, you are likely to encounter some difficulties using modern amenities. An example: all tv stations are in spanish, except CNN and the MGM classic movie channel. There is also no access to internet unless you are in the hotel lobby, and even then the wifi they have has a very limited range. Because it is an all inclusive, the hotel does staff 24 room service, bars, and restaurants (and there are several) for guests to enjoy. The food offerings are quite good, but the liquor and beer selection is limited in most cases, so don't bother asking for a Miller Lite. Aside from a few imported products the alcohol is mostly local brands. One minor drawback we did discover was the workout facility. This area was very outdated and contained exercise equipment that was anywhere from 20-30 years old and out of level. As a result, we seldom used this facility opting to utilize the fitness bands we had brought with us.

Rooms:
Despite their dated nature, the rooms were very well kept by the resort staff and were attentive to our respects when we made them. We had reserved a beachfront unit for our stay based on the suggestion of the friends we had travelled with and I would never do it again. While the view was stellar, especially for the sunset, the sound of the waves was very loud at night. I'm usually a pretty hard sleeper and this woke me up several times during our stay. The beds were an issue as well. I have a chronically bad lower back and the mattress we slept on was old and had 'body dents' in the bed. It felt like I was sleeping in a crater every night and I experienced daily back pain as a result. I eventually left my wife in this bed and jumped in the other (I found a non-dented spot in the middle of the mattress) that allowed me to sleep better. And although it was more comfortable, I didn't plan on sleeping away from my wife while on vacation-took the romance right out of the environment.

Pool area:
The resort has two main pool areas that are quasi-connected. One is the quiet pool where those who want to relax, sans-kids, go to enjoy their day. There is also the main pool with the swim up bar where most of the partiers tend to hang. The one downside of the main pool was that there were many kids in this area as well. By the end of the day there were many inebriated adults sitting around this pool and this made for dangerous situations at times as these adults did not notice the children and there were several near mishaps during our stay.

Beach:
Ixtapa has a very nice beach, although I mentioned it's limited length previously. People I know are either beach folk or pool folk. If you like the beach, Ixtapa is gorgeous, although know that the sand gets very hot in the afternoon sun and your are constantly approached by beach vendors trying to sell a myriad of products, ranging from hair braids to tattoos. Just remember to kindly turn these folks down if you are not interested. Being rude only makes them hang around more because then they know they will wear you down until you buy, just so they will leave. The vendors are perhaps the one major drawback to this area.

Restaurants & Nightlife:
We tried eating both on and off property during our stay. The Intercontinental serves dinner and has several nighttime events during the week (the buffet on the beach and the Saturday Mexican Fiesta were our favorites) which will keep you fed and satisfied while on site. If you choose to go off the resort at night for dinner, local casual places like Chili Bean's (tacos), Deborah's (seafood) and Emilio's (pizza) were all a quick walk across the road to the plaza. There are also some nicer restaurants (Villa de la Selva & El Faro) just outside of town that can be accessed by a short cab ride and the views are stellar. Look for reviews on these locations if you are seeking dinner with a great view.

Overall Impression:
Despite some minor drawbacks, our stay at this resort was very good. While not the nicest place we'd ever been to (quite far from it actually) it was still a very cost-effective way to vacation and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there again as long as I can find a better room away from the water. I would recommend this resort to those who want a moderately-priced, non-luxury vacation in a nice mexican environment!

Travel tips:
1) Minimize cell phone use - the service is very sporadic and unreliable for US visitors
2) Take pesos with you - we learned how de-valued the US dollar has become once we arrived because the hotel will not exchange the US dollar, only the Canadian dollar. This was the case in numerous establishments so be prepared to have to search for an exchange counter. Also, take your passport with the exchange money. This is now required to exchange money in Mexico.
3) Be sure to tip the staff on a regular bases! It doesn't have to be much, but a few bucks goes a long way to help the folks at the all-inclusive resorts. You will get better service from the staff if you either discuss this with them (tell them you will take care of them at the end of the day if you only have larger bills - 100 or 200 peso notes - on you) or compensate them every so often during the day with smaller bills.

Staff suggestions:
Look for a server who smiles! If you are a beach goer during the day, pick out a beach palapa on the R side (as you look towards the water) of the beach. This is served by Carlos. He is a lot of fun and is constantly bringing drinks, even when you don't request one. He works hard and will do an excellent job of taking care of the guests he serves.
For breakfast, sit outside and look for Lourdes. She is a wonderful server in the outdoor breakfast cafe and will take great care of you. She'll even teach you a little Spanish during breakfast if you ask.

Room Tip: Honestly, the rooms are mostly the safe. If you are traveling as a couple, request/demand a room wi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is one of the best resorts I have been to, and I am a travel agent, and I never told them about it, simply because I wanted to experience it like everyone else. I was somewhat scared to go simply because I have never been to a smaller resort, but I loved it. Here you will find a little bit older adults, 30 years and above (I say this because I am in my 20’s), also there were a few kids there, so it is a family friendly resort. If you come here to party, go ahead, if you come here to relax, go ahead. The way you relax is up to you but you will enjoy your time either way. I went with my parents and now fiancé. This was my parents fourth time there, and now I know why. My fiancé has never out of the country, so his opinion mattered the most; he was all smiles and bright eyes right when we walked up the steps to the lobby. The lobby gives a great view of what the resort has to offer right away you see a dining area, a pool, pool bar and the ocean, beautiful! We had the pool view rooms, which are what I recommend, this shows not only the pool but also the ocean in the distance, and as a reminder this resort is small, so the ocean isn’t far away. I was on the second floor, while my parents were on the bottom floor, closer to the ocean. The pool bar was fantastic; Victor was our bartender most of the time. There was entertainment all day as well; I did water aerobics, Zumba and Bingo. This is a great resort where you get to choose if you would like to do the entertainment or not. I know some resorts I have been to they follow you around till you come and do the entertainment. So if you would like to try out sand volleyball, try it, if you don’t like it, they won’t make you come back tomorrow. I did enjoy the food choices as well; you had two places for breakfast, three for lunch, and three again for supper. For supper, I thought it was a real treat, at one of them you can choose to have a sit down meal, where you choose from a set menu, and it was always good! As well as the buffets, they were fantastic. Also, on a few of the nights we had themed dinners, one night we had a Beach BBQ Night, where it was a buffet on the beach with a live band! Another night we had a Mexican Fiesta Night out in the courtyard, and there was food galore! The beach is usually where we sat, and it was great, the chairs were perfect, there was some shade, and there were always chairs available. You also had “home shopping,” that’s where people come around and try to sell you stuff. They are not pushy either, you can look at what they have, and tell them not now and they will go away. Also, if you find something one day from a certain vendor that came around and you wanted it the next day, just ask another vendor and he will certainly get them over to you. Always ask for the nut guy! There is a parasailing guy out front of the resort too, Ivan, he is fun to talk to and he let us get a ride on his boat over to ride jet skis. Another thing to keep in mind is your excursions, I would highly recommend German (fantastic), he helped us set up our Ruins Tour, and always ask for Juan, and he is very smart and knows what he is talking about. Also, we had Carlos, a waiter, he would come bring us drinks when we were at the ocean, and he was always helpful and great to talk to as well. The service was fantastic! My fiancé set up a romantic night, without me knowing, with Jorge, the head concierge; it was the night he proposed to me. It was perfect! We had a four course meal, with wine and of course champagne! But we had our own personal waiter, and chef. The dinner was at the perfect time, right when the sun was setting, and somehow, it was one of the most beautiful sunsets we had while we were down there. It was just perfect, and Jorge and Samuel (our waiter) made it happen, thank you for that. It was really hard to leave, but we had to. This resort was fantastic, and safe! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great relaxing time.

Room Tip: Always get the rooms with a Pool View. The Tower (ocean view) is the oldest part of the resort and i...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at the Presidente Ixtapa for 10 days the end of January. The resort is older but was clean and kept up. We had a group of 6 of us that went. All of us had rooms by the pool, they were older but clean. Our rooms had patio doors and decks that over looked the pool and you could see the ocean. We were not in the towers so can not comment on those.
We have been doing all inclusives for 11 years. This was the first time in Ixtapa. The food was really good and probably one of the better places out of the 11 years we've been going. We usually stay at 5 Apples. The choices were less but I think that was a benefit to having the food fresher. Also ordering off the menu's at the restaurants was fantastic and you didn't have to make reservations. One night they had supper right on the beach for everyone at the resort. We watched all day as they set up all the tables, chairs, grills, etc. on the beach. They also do a Mexican night out in front of the resort which also takes most the day to set up.
The Presidente has a GREAT staff and I think that the Presidente treats their staff good also. We talked to several workeers and some of them have worked there for many years. Carlos on the beach is great and was always bringing drinks from water, beer, bloody mary, miami vice, you name it and he would bring it. Carmin and Maria were wonderful at night bringing drinks. All the staff was great! Not only waiting on you but also talking to you about their families and jobs.
During the week there weren't as many people. On the weekends it got busier with many locals coming. We also talked with some of them and it was good to see some of the culture.
You could walk across the street for shopping or if you wanted to eat out.
If you like it hot Ixtapa was the place to be. The weather was high 80's low 90's during day and 70's at night. Never needed a jacket. That's what we go on vacation for is the hot weather and to get away from the cold so we loved it.
The entertainment area offers a bike ride in the morning. This goes on a really nice bike trail and you stop and see crocodiles, lizards, etc. Recommend taking this. The guys that take you on the bike ride do a great job.
We will go back to the Presidente in Ixtapa for the service and hopitality at this resort. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: A room close to the pools or beach
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

It was my first time in a all inclusive in mexico. It was wonderful. The hotel was very clean and the grounds were well cared for. The staff was very helpful. The concierge Jorge was very hands on he made a point of greeting people every morning. I met alot of people who had been coming to this resort for years so that alone tells me that it really is as wonderful place to vacation. If I had to say anything negative about this hotel would be maybe the food could be improved a little.

Room Tip: The best rooms in my opinion would be the one I had superior pool side
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa? Share your experiences!