“A Great Trip & Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa

You added Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa to your Saves list
Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Ixtapa s/n, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Ixtapa
Buxton, United Kingdom
“A Great Trip & Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Getting to Ixtapa

My partner and I journeyed from the UK via Miami and Mexico City to the international airport which covers Ixtapa. We decided to have two days in Miami, breaking the journey which amounted to four flights in total.

Upon our arrival in Ixtapa, we managed to locate a taxi to the Intercontinental at 380 MEX Pesos about 20.00 (GBP), the taxi back to the airport from the hotel was 320 Pesos.

Arrival and first impression

The hotel is getting on, it is about 34 years old and does look tired in places, however, we received a most gracious welcome and were escorted to our suite, which we were delighted with. From the start of our trip to the end the staff could not have been more welcoming and hospitable.

Accommodation

Our suite on the 14th floor was spotless and kept that way every day by a very conscientious and dedicated staff. Every day, towels were arranged in different designs. The room had excellent Wi-Fi provision and a great balcony and view across the beach and Pacific Ocean

Breakfast

Breakfast was 95% Mexican and thanks to reviews i read on Trip Advisor I was able to ask for bacon which was kept hidden under the hotplate where eggs are prepared. The hotel provided a fair choice of cereal; toast had to be ordered together with fruit juice. The quality of the food on offer was of an excellent standard with good quality provision.

Room Service

During the weekend part of our stay we ordered room service on the Friday and Saturday evenings, the quality of the food and presentation left a lot to be desired on the first night, the second night it had improved to a significant level. All other aspects related to this area were good and very attentive to our needs.

French Restaurant

An excellent restaurant, the quality of the food would equal any top hotel in the UK or US. Service was very attentive; the main host Abel was very conscientious to what was going on to the point where your next course was served within a very reasonable time following the preceding course.

Lunch

At lunch time, one has a choice of different venues, all of which were of a buffet nature or fast food. The hotel delivered very high quality food. The salads on offer were exceptional and the hot plate offer changed every day. If you did not fancy anything, the hotel staff were always pleased to prepare something for you. This was especially helpful to my partner who has dietary needs.

Snack bar & pool area

This was okay, the food offer was burgers and hot dogs, not of the greatest quality, but very satisfying, especially for families and children who you would see making various trips throughout the day. As the hotel did not allow food to be consumed outside the designated eating areas, it ensured that the deck chair and seating areas around the pools where kept clean and tidy

Sports bar (Lobby bar)

This is the main bar in the hotel which comes alive each evening. The hotel team are very attentive and very good humoured. My only critique regarding this experience is that 90% of all alcohol beverages served were from locally sourced providers in plastic tumblers. If requested you could get premium brands, however, you need to request these each time and to be safe, I went to the bar to order my own drinks until the bar staff. Beer was a good quality, we were served Sol and a darker beer called Victoria, both of which were very acceptable.

Overall Comments

We had a fantastic time, the following critique and comments should not be viewed as criticism but areas to improve the overall experience of ones stay:

1. As the hotel receives every weekend a great number of the indigenous population who arrive on a Friday lunch-time and depart by lunch-time on a Sunday, greater resources are needed to deliver what is a first class service outside of these times.

2. Areas of the lobby and walkways to the rooms need to be regenerated as parts of the hotel look quite tired

3. The food offered is amongst the highest quality I have experienced at any hotel. By far the French restaurant was a great experience.

4. The staff made our trip, if we did not like anything on the menu the staff would sort something out for you. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard each day, with our maid adding her own little touches. We left the hotel having had a wonderful break, from the General Manager and Chief Concierge down, all the team were great, we were made most welcome and secure during the entire duration of our stay.

5. The beach area and ocean was one of the best I have ever experienced. The beach is about 2miles end-to-end, which you can walk without any shoes, not a stone or pebble in sight. The waves of the ocean can look a little foreboding, however, great water, watch the current, very strong but did not deter great numbers from trying it out every day.

6. Getting out and about from the hotel is very easy, you have opposite the hotel, shops, banks and all other amenities to serve your needs. If you want to journey to different locations within a 10 to 20 mile radius, you can catch a number of busses which operate from outside the main entrance to the hotel. To travel to the main town about 8 miles from the hotel a bus will charge 9 MEX Pesos about 50p (GBP). I would avoid taxis, they are expensive, and the bus allows you to get into the culture on the local people.

Finally, a big thank you for making our trip to Ixtapa very memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Buxton Derbyshire in the High Peak Forest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We have just left this amazing hotel.......and very sad to do so. We had an 8 night dream.
The staff are so FRIENDLY , HELPFULL & courteous. Having an eating disorder ,the chef RICARDO made every effort to my diet, Thank you so much.
You should not really point out individual staff, but ADRIANA and ABAIL in the restaurant so happy and HELPFULL, a pleasure to meet.George concierge most HELPFULL on helping us get around the area, full of information.

THE HOTEL.
has many rooms in the grounds, but also has the MAIN building with 2 glass elevators, the views from the main building are astounding.we had a suite on the 16th floor and it was like being at home sofa,dinning table, 2 tvs , hifi unit, 2 bathrooms, 1 with jacuzzi . The balcony had the most amazing view of the beach

Breakfast.
A whole assortment of fruits, cereal, yogurts,hot buffet ,fresh breads and an EGG STATION made to your order.

Lunch.
You can choose from either the hamburger/hot dog n fries station freshly cooked or from the lunch time buffet with hot n cold buffet with a chef cooking food on the grill.

Dinner.
A choice of the buffet once gain hot or cold to choose from OR there is a choice on different evenings from FRENCH, ITALIAN or SUSHI, EVERY MEAL was cooked to perfection.

Evening entertainment varies ,but they do have A MEXICAN EVENING at the weekend, you actually think you are in a little Mexican village.

We travelled by local bus 9pesos to PLAYA LINDA, when you get off the bus look for the ALLIGATORS,BIRDS and IGUANARS.walk through the artisan centre and you will find the local beach with a couple of places to eat.

We also went to the town of Zihuatanejo,again 9pesos each way, a great place to visit for a half day shopping and browsing.a little beach with plenty of shops on the front or walk around the market in the centre.
On our second visit we WALKED back to IXTAPA took us around 90mins, but it was a cloudy day !!!!!

Overall we had an amazing vacation, we have travelled around the world and stayed in many top hotels but the INTERCONTINANTAL IXTAPA has come into the top 3 of THE BEST.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL THE STAFF FOR MAKING OUR VACATION A MEMORY WE WILL NEVER FORGET.

STEVEN your the best, thank you for your time, you should be VERY PROUD of an AMAZING TEAM.
Hopefully we may return

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have been going to the presidente hotel for over ten years ,I love the location, the beach and the staff are great, the food is excellent and the entertainment team are super fun people even though I rent a car is not necessary because everything is within walking distance in ixtapa. I will continue coming back to the presidente hotel because is great

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

There were three of us in one room which was not a problem. They brought a cot (which was more a twin bed and comfortable) and there was still enough room to move around. We were in the three storey building with an ocean view. Very nice.

The waitresses in the bar are by far the best of any all-inlcusive I've been to. They were very friendly and tried to get people to have a good time.

The bar service on the beach was hit and miss. There is one waiter who works two days a week (sorry I forget his name) who was awesome. He not only brought water without being asked, he moved chairs and got tables etc. Other servers ran the gamut of being attentive or non-existent.

The 2 worst things about the Intercontinental are the wine and lack of water in the rooms. The wine is by far the worst wine any of us had ever encountered at an all-inclusive. The white was gross, the red was like boat gas. Other patrons told us to go to the Walmart to buy wine. There are plenty of good wines in the world available at a reasonable cost. When we tried to buy a decent bottle of wine in the specialty restaurant, they were sold out. Intercontinental needs to ramp up here. The water issue was a sore spot. They allot 2 bottles of water per person per day. They said up front that it is no problem to get water from room service at any time. The first time we ordered 6 bottles so that we had 2 per person. We gave them a $2 tip thinking that was fine. The next day when we ordered 6 bottles, the room service attendant was very surly and told us it costs $5, and that you could only get 4 bottles free. This is not only a cash grab for tips, but also a health issue. Alot of us drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and resent that water is like liquid gold. They need mini-bars in the rooms stocked with beer, water and soft drinks.

The food was o.k., nothing spectacular, just the regualar all-inclusive fare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent three weeks at the President Ixtapa Resort (again). This was one of the best experiences I’ve had. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. The hotel is great, the rooms spacious and well appointed. Great food, with varied options for your dining pleasure. Generally menus are rotated every two weeks or so. Resort is right on the beach with phenomenal views. Once you see the amazing sunset, you’ll want to see it every night.

From the moment you check in you will be greeted with nothing but smiles. Every staff member was so eager to answer your questions and make the stay as perfect as possible. Thank you Anabel, Rafael and Esther (who assisted with booking). The room was beautiful, super clean, and comfortable and had such a beautiful view of the ocean. Thank you to Angeles who kept the room clean and decorated every day for me. The pools and drinks were perfect. Loved the service from all of the staff but special mention should go to Cleo the pool attendant who never failed to say hello and greeted me by name. Jose the lifeguard who would take time to stop and talk and help as much as possible. Allam – security. Always friendly and outgoing. Never failed to say hola and to shake my hand. And we were always safe. Thank You. In general, the staff is outstanding. There was not one person who was other than friendly, warm, kind, attentive -- the most service-oriented staff I have experienced. Every single wait-person, staff, and maintenance person was fantastic; I want to mention several who were outstanding during this 21-day stay:

Yesica who made perfect eggs every morning. My home favourite is poached on toast and Yesica adapted with eggs inside a hole made in the toast. Great service to please the traveler. And Bernice, my favourite waitress. Always a smile on her face and one step ahead of my needs. Terrific service and a terrific person.

Abel, head waiter. Outstanding! Clearly a professional in all he does. Warm, attentive, genuine. A class act who made ordering in Spanish a truly enjoyable experience. Loved this guy!

Huber, Hugo and team. What would we do without you. Entertainment all day every day. And laugh. You made everyone feel at home and comfortable. Thank you for making fun fun again.

Our waiter on the deck was Mr. Urioste. What can I say? Very little time goes by while you are laying on a deck chair, before he comes to ask what you'd like to drink today. Wow. Offers varieties and knows the greatest combinations. And Mr. Urioste is not only a great guy, but was always there, ready to bring us whatever we needed. After one day, he remembered all our preferences, what we liked to drink -- amazing. You work up quite a thirst laying around doing nothing :). After hours of body surfing or boarding, a fresh drink was at the table as soon as I got out of the water. No matter the constant walking back and forth in the hot sun between beach loungers and the bar -- he was as happy early in the day as at the end. Five stars for this man.

Concierge Jorge Luis Sanchez goes way above and beyond to make your stay a delight. Thank You for your wonderful service. And thank you for the sushi on my final night even though it wasn’t sushi night. Great service. Keep up the good work.

Special Thank You to GM Stephan, Adriana, Mateo and Thomas. Lovely meeting and sharing with you. Your staff is amazing and always cleaning, polishing and sweeping, keeping the resort beautiful. Great changes over the past few years. And thank you for no more pressures regarding “The Club”. Congratulations Stephen on all you have done and continue to do. And I look forward to boarding with Mateo on my next visit.

Have to make mention that going off the resort is something everyone should do. Completely safe and enjoyable. The village across the street is full of restaurants and shops, including a market for souvenirs. Take a day trip to Zihuatanejo and walk the boardwalk. Go to Isla Ixtapa and cross over to Coral Beach for some snorkling or to Troncones for the surfing. Won’t be disappointed. Wonderful visit and wonderful resort.

Already looking forward to next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
carsonjstan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed all inclusive at this hotel the first week of March and fell in love with Ixtapa and found our hotel to be a good value for what we paid. hotel was very clean and relaxing. Our Room was ocean view in the tower which was clean and a beautiful view with a blacony overlooking the ocean with wonderful sunsets. I had booked ocean view but found out before our stay that not all had balconies so I emailed the hotel and they accomodated my request no with no problems. Thank you Gorge. We found the food to be plenty but not the best buffets that we ever had at an all inclusive, but clean and you could always find something that satisfied your appetite. We enjoyed the barbecue on the beach one night and the Mexican Fiesta theme night. We had problems with our air conditioner going out twice but they got it fixed and working in a timely manner. The location of hotel is excellent with many wonderful restaurants and shopping right across the street. Directly across the street many locals have art and craft fairs in the square. Very unique merchandise for resonable prices. The beach at the hotel is a wonderful walking beach and I felt very safe in Ixtapa. I would definately consider returning to this hotel. Carlos, Jorge, and, all the staff and waiters were accomodating.

Room Tip: the tower is away from the noise of the pool and the garden view look to be quiet and a little close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel room we had is showing sign of its age. Repairs to areas around the tub shower were done by an amateur. The tile grout is dirty coloured and we had burned out lights in the bathroom upon arrival and I had to ask twice for someone to come repair them. When I asked the second time someone came promptly. The staff work very hard and service was great overall. The only negative was with some of the bar waiters. They seemed to want their palm's greased (tips) or they would not show up very often. Funny thins is I never saw Mexican tourists tip but I would when I felt the service warranted it but obviously they wanted more than I could afford to dole out each time they came.

The food was OK but as the week progressed we found the same food items being offered so the variety was limited. To be fair I am comparing the variety and quality I have had during a Cruise and to another all inclusive in MX which was 4.5 star. They put on a great MX Fiesta one night. I would probably not go back to this place but for someone on a limited budget it would be a good choice.

As our room did not have a safe I had to use a security box at the front desk so it was a pain to have to always go there to get more money out for tips or shopping. Would have been nice to have an in room safe. Also our room had no refrigerator but I was told some did. We only had a double bed so a queen would have been nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comments in TA. Your feedback is very important for us to take actions and make some corrections when it is necessary.

We believe that Great service makes Great hotels and we work every day to improve our service. And be sure we will share your comments with our staff. About the size of the bed, is very important to confirm in advance with your agency the type of room you would like to have because we have garden view but also pool view, ocean view, ocean front and some suite (with double beds or king size bed, with balcony o without balcony). Of course each room category have different rate and depend of your budget.

Our Mexican party is all the Saturday and in high season we set up 2 Mexican party a week but you will always find Thematic buffet at night and our A la Carte Restaurants (French, Italian and Sushi & Martini without reservation). The hotel is one of the few all Inclusive which offers 24h Food & Beverage and also Room Service 24h just with a delivery charge.

I hope you will reconsider your perception of the hotel and we will be more than happy to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

SMC

Been to Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa? Share your experiences!