Getting to Ixtapa
My partner and I journeyed from the UK via Miami and Mexico City to the international airport which covers Ixtapa. We decided to have two days in Miami, breaking the journey which amounted to four flights in total.
Upon our arrival in Ixtapa, we managed to locate a taxi to the Intercontinental at 380 MEX Pesos about 20.00 (GBP), the taxi back to the airport from the hotel was 320 Pesos.
Arrival and first impression
The hotel is getting on, it is about 34 years old and does look tired in places, however, we received a most gracious welcome and were escorted to our suite, which we were delighted with. From the start of our trip to the end the staff could not have been more welcoming and hospitable.
Our suite on the 14th floor was spotless and kept that way every day by a very conscientious and dedicated staff. Every day, towels were arranged in different designs. The room had excellent Wi-Fi provision and a great balcony and view across the beach and Pacific Ocean
Breakfast was 95% Mexican and thanks to reviews i read on Trip Advisor I was able to ask for bacon which was kept hidden under the hotplate where eggs are prepared. The hotel provided a fair choice of cereal; toast had to be ordered together with fruit juice. The quality of the food on offer was of an excellent standard with good quality provision.
During the weekend part of our stay we ordered room service on the Friday and Saturday evenings, the quality of the food and presentation left a lot to be desired on the first night, the second night it had improved to a significant level. All other aspects related to this area were good and very attentive to our needs.
An excellent restaurant, the quality of the food would equal any top hotel in the UK or US. Service was very attentive; the main host Abel was very conscientious to what was going on to the point where your next course was served within a very reasonable time following the preceding course.
At lunch time, one has a choice of different venues, all of which were of a buffet nature or fast food. The hotel delivered very high quality food. The salads on offer were exceptional and the hot plate offer changed every day. If you did not fancy anything, the hotel staff were always pleased to prepare something for you. This was especially helpful to my partner who has dietary needs.
Snack bar & pool area
This was okay, the food offer was burgers and hot dogs, not of the greatest quality, but very satisfying, especially for families and children who you would see making various trips throughout the day. As the hotel did not allow food to be consumed outside the designated eating areas, it ensured that the deck chair and seating areas around the pools where kept clean and tidy
Sports bar (Lobby bar)
This is the main bar in the hotel which comes alive each evening. The hotel team are very attentive and very good humoured. My only critique regarding this experience is that 90% of all alcohol beverages served were from locally sourced providers in plastic tumblers. If requested you could get premium brands, however, you need to request these each time and to be safe, I went to the bar to order my own drinks until the bar staff. Beer was a good quality, we were served Sol and a darker beer called Victoria, both of which were very acceptable.
We had a fantastic time, the following critique and comments should not be viewed as criticism but areas to improve the overall experience of ones stay:
1. As the hotel receives every weekend a great number of the indigenous population who arrive on a Friday lunch-time and depart by lunch-time on a Sunday, greater resources are needed to deliver what is a first class service outside of these times.
2. Areas of the lobby and walkways to the rooms need to be regenerated as parts of the hotel look quite tired
3. The food offered is amongst the highest quality I have experienced at any hotel. By far the French restaurant was a great experience.
4. The staff made our trip, if we did not like anything on the menu the staff would sort something out for you. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard each day, with our maid adding her own little touches. We left the hotel having had a wonderful break, from the General Manager and Chief Concierge down, all the team were great, we were made most welcome and secure during the entire duration of our stay.
5. The beach area and ocean was one of the best I have ever experienced. The beach is about 2miles end-to-end, which you can walk without any shoes, not a stone or pebble in sight. The waves of the ocean can look a little foreboding, however, great water, watch the current, very strong but did not deter great numbers from trying it out every day.
6. Getting out and about from the hotel is very easy, you have opposite the hotel, shops, banks and all other amenities to serve your needs. If you want to journey to different locations within a 10 to 20 mile radius, you can catch a number of busses which operate from outside the main entrance to the hotel. To travel to the main town about 8 miles from the hotel a bus will charge 9 MEX Pesos about 50p (GBP). I would avoid taxis, they are expensive, and the bus allows you to get into the culture on the local people.
Finally, a big thank you for making our trip to Ixtapa very memorable and enjoyable.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, IHG, BookIt.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Presidente Ixtapa Hotel Ixtapa
- Presidente Intercontinental Ixtapa
- Intercontinental Ixtapa
- Ixtapa Presidente
- Presidente Hotel Ixtapa
- Presidente Ixtapa