“Good and bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa

You added Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa to your Saves list
Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Ixtapa s/n, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40884, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Ixtapa
“Good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

There were three of us in one room which was not a problem. They brought a cot (which was more a twin bed and comfortable) and there was still enough room to move around. We were in the three storey building with an ocean view. Very nice.

The waitresses in the bar are by far the best of any all-inlcusive I've been to. They were very friendly and tried to get people to have a good time.

The bar service on the beach was hit and miss. There is one waiter who works two days a week (sorry I forget his name) who was awesome. He not only brought water without being asked, he moved chairs and got tables etc. Other servers ran the gamut of being attentive or non-existent.

The 2 worst things about the Intercontinental are the wine and lack of water in the rooms. The wine is by far the worst wine any of us had ever encountered at an all-inclusive. The white was gross, the red was like boat gas. Other patrons told us to go to the Walmart to buy wine. There are plenty of good wines in the world available at a reasonable cost. When we tried to buy a decent bottle of wine in the specialty restaurant, they were sold out. Intercontinental needs to ramp up here. The water issue was a sore spot. They allot 2 bottles of water per person per day. They said up front that it is no problem to get water from room service at any time. The first time we ordered 6 bottles so that we had 2 per person. We gave them a $2 tip thinking that was fine. The next day when we ordered 6 bottles, the room service attendant was very surly and told us it costs $5, and that you could only get 4 bottles free. This is not only a cash grab for tips, but also a health issue. Alot of us drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and resent that water is like liquid gold. They need mini-bars in the rooms stocked with beer, water and soft drinks.

The food was o.k., nothing spectacular, just the regualar all-inclusive fare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent three weeks at the President Ixtapa Resort (again). This was one of the best experiences I’ve had. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. The hotel is great, the rooms spacious and well appointed. Great food, with varied options for your dining pleasure. Generally menus are rotated every two weeks or so. Resort is right on the beach with phenomenal views. Once you see the amazing sunset, you’ll want to see it every night.

From the moment you check in you will be greeted with nothing but smiles. Every staff member was so eager to answer your questions and make the stay as perfect as possible. Thank you Anabel, Rafael and Esther (who assisted with booking). The room was beautiful, super clean, and comfortable and had such a beautiful view of the ocean. Thank you to Angeles who kept the room clean and decorated every day for me. The pools and drinks were perfect. Loved the service from all of the staff but special mention should go to Cleo the pool attendant who never failed to say hello and greeted me by name. Jose the lifeguard who would take time to stop and talk and help as much as possible. Allam – security. Always friendly and outgoing. Never failed to say hola and to shake my hand. And we were always safe. Thank You. In general, the staff is outstanding. There was not one person who was other than friendly, warm, kind, attentive -- the most service-oriented staff I have experienced. Every single wait-person, staff, and maintenance person was fantastic; I want to mention several who were outstanding during this 21-day stay:

Yesica who made perfect eggs every morning. My home favourite is poached on toast and Yesica adapted with eggs inside a hole made in the toast. Great service to please the traveler. And Bernice, my favourite waitress. Always a smile on her face and one step ahead of my needs. Terrific service and a terrific person.

Abel, head waiter. Outstanding! Clearly a professional in all he does. Warm, attentive, genuine. A class act who made ordering in Spanish a truly enjoyable experience. Loved this guy!

Huber, Hugo and team. What would we do without you. Entertainment all day every day. And laugh. You made everyone feel at home and comfortable. Thank you for making fun fun again.

Our waiter on the deck was Mr. Urioste. What can I say? Very little time goes by while you are laying on a deck chair, before he comes to ask what you'd like to drink today. Wow. Offers varieties and knows the greatest combinations. And Mr. Urioste is not only a great guy, but was always there, ready to bring us whatever we needed. After one day, he remembered all our preferences, what we liked to drink -- amazing. You work up quite a thirst laying around doing nothing :). After hours of body surfing or boarding, a fresh drink was at the table as soon as I got out of the water. No matter the constant walking back and forth in the hot sun between beach loungers and the bar -- he was as happy early in the day as at the end. Five stars for this man.

Concierge Jorge Luis Sanchez goes way above and beyond to make your stay a delight. Thank You for your wonderful service. And thank you for the sushi on my final night even though it wasn’t sushi night. Great service. Keep up the good work.

Special Thank You to GM Stephan, Adriana, Mateo and Thomas. Lovely meeting and sharing with you. Your staff is amazing and always cleaning, polishing and sweeping, keeping the resort beautiful. Great changes over the past few years. And thank you for no more pressures regarding “The Club”. Congratulations Stephen on all you have done and continue to do. And I look forward to boarding with Mateo on my next visit.

Have to make mention that going off the resort is something everyone should do. Completely safe and enjoyable. The village across the street is full of restaurants and shops, including a market for souvenirs. Take a day trip to Zihuatanejo and walk the boardwalk. Go to Isla Ixtapa and cross over to Coral Beach for some snorkling or to Troncones for the surfing. Won’t be disappointed. Wonderful visit and wonderful resort.

Already looking forward to next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
carsonjstan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed all inclusive at this hotel the first week of March and fell in love with Ixtapa and found our hotel to be a good value for what we paid. hotel was very clean and relaxing. Our Room was ocean view in the tower which was clean and a beautiful view with a blacony overlooking the ocean with wonderful sunsets. I had booked ocean view but found out before our stay that not all had balconies so I emailed the hotel and they accomodated my request no with no problems. Thank you Gorge. We found the food to be plenty but not the best buffets that we ever had at an all inclusive, but clean and you could always find something that satisfied your appetite. We enjoyed the barbecue on the beach one night and the Mexican Fiesta theme night. We had problems with our air conditioner going out twice but they got it fixed and working in a timely manner. The location of hotel is excellent with many wonderful restaurants and shopping right across the street. Directly across the street many locals have art and craft fairs in the square. Very unique merchandise for resonable prices. The beach at the hotel is a wonderful walking beach and I felt very safe in Ixtapa. I would definately consider returning to this hotel. Carlos, Jorge, and, all the staff and waiters were accomodating.

Room Tip: the tower is away from the noise of the pool and the garden view look to be quiet and a little close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel room we had is showing sign of its age. Repairs to areas around the tub shower were done by an amateur. The tile grout is dirty coloured and we had burned out lights in the bathroom upon arrival and I had to ask twice for someone to come repair them. When I asked the second time someone came promptly. The staff work very hard and service was great overall. The only negative was with some of the bar waiters. They seemed to want their palm's greased (tips) or they would not show up very often. Funny thins is I never saw Mexican tourists tip but I would when I felt the service warranted it but obviously they wanted more than I could afford to dole out each time they came.

The food was OK but as the week progressed we found the same food items being offered so the variety was limited. To be fair I am comparing the variety and quality I have had during a Cruise and to another all inclusive in MX which was 4.5 star. They put on a great MX Fiesta one night. I would probably not go back to this place but for someone on a limited budget it would be a good choice.

As our room did not have a safe I had to use a security box at the front desk so it was a pain to have to always go there to get more money out for tips or shopping. Would have been nice to have an in room safe. Also our room had no refrigerator but I was told some did. We only had a double bed so a queen would have been nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comments in TA. Your feedback is very important for us to take actions and make some corrections when it is necessary.

We believe that Great service makes Great hotels and we work every day to improve our service. And be sure we will share your comments with our staff. About the size of the bed, is very important to confirm in advance with your agency the type of room you would like to have because we have garden view but also pool view, ocean view, ocean front and some suite (with double beds or king size bed, with balcony o without balcony). Of course each room category have different rate and depend of your budget.

Our Mexican party is all the Saturday and in high season we set up 2 Mexican party a week but you will always find Thematic buffet at night and our A la Carte Restaurants (French, Italian and Sushi & Martini without reservation). The hotel is one of the few all Inclusive which offers 24h Food & Beverage and also Room Service 24h just with a delivery charge.

I hope you will reconsider your perception of the hotel and we will be more than happy to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

SMC
Foster City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed 10 days at the Intercontinental Presidente in Ixtapa and had a great time, particularly due to the effort of their concierge, Jorge Sanchez. He was very friendly and responsive and extremely helpful in making our stay extremely enjoyable. The hotel is an all inclusive deal and a great value comparatively. I would recommend staying in the tower because of the beautiful views of the shore. The entire staff is very helpful and attentive. Just be careful of the ocean and be respectful. It has a reputation of deceptive riptides so be cautious and you will enjoy a gorgeous beach and beautiful landscape. Two golf courses in the area and you can afford to have a caddy and still play for a lot less than in Hawaii or ever Cabo San Lucas for that matter. Alligators hang out on the golf course and make it a bit thrilling, although they seem to be bored with the tourists. Never got that close to challenge that however. Be sure to have your ATM card because once you leave the hotel, while most things are able to be charged, you will find having cash or pesos very helpful and good for bargaining. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower. You have to navigate the elevator, but the view is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Dimas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just returned from the Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa yesterday, March 24th. We started off wondering what everyone was complaining about. Once I entered the high tower room, I understood. The rooms in the tower are in need of upgrading. We asked to be moved to the 3 story buildings and we were taken care of the very next morning. The room we moved to appeared to be upgraded, was very clean, had a safe and big deck (2232). We were very happy with this room and the maid service was excellent. No complaints there! The pools and grounds are manicured constantly. Never a leaf, trash, etc. could be found. The employees are probably the best we have ever encountered. (We travel to Mexico 3-4 times per year). Carmen by the bar lounge was friendly and entertaining. Jesus by the pool was constantly refreshing our drinks and everyone else that we noticed.
The breakfast and lunch buffets were very good. Breakfast buffet always had an omelet area and lots of fresh fruit. The Italian and French restaurants were bad in our opinion. Service great but the food just wasn't good. One night they had a beach party - there was no party but the food was fantasic. Best evening meal we had on the resort. We missed their Mexican Festival because we already had plans to go out to dinner that night.
The ocean is absolutely beautiful and the beach about the best I have seen.

If you aren't too picky about eating at the buffet for morning and afternoon, and then go out to dinner this is a great place to stay. Shopping and restaurants are just across the street.
Ixtapa is a wonderful little town filled with the nicest people. Shopping was unbelievable and afforable. I'd love to go back to Itapa but I would not stay at the Presidente - sorry.

Room Tip: Stay in the 3 story buildings.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear VMON72,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
andover, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to Ixtapa mid March for spring break with my husband, 16 year old, and another couple and their kids. We had an ocean view room on the 9th floor of the towers with an awesome view of the entire bay.. absolutely gorgeous. Rooms are fine, 2 double beds, nothing fancy, but nothing bad either. Best part of course was the huge balcony and view. Several days we were up there to watch the sunset and ordered room service (free.. just tip), some cerveza's, tequila and guacamole. Balcony is huge so we basically had a party up there with others. The resort itself is wonderful.... not huge, so we didn't lose each other. Very popular swim up bar as it's super hot out. Drinks were good.. the service was outstanding. You can get served anywhere you sit near the pool or on the beach, which has palapa's and lounge chairs everywhere. Food was really good.... the usual breakfast buffet's with superb fruit, and american and mexican breakfasts. Lunch was good.. either go to the "snack bar" which had hamburgers, hot dogs, nacho's, etc. or a buffet meal which always had really good salads, fish, and usually there were making either fish, quesadilla's, or taco's on the spot. We did some of the activities like bike tour (highly recommend), lots of beach volleyball and water aerobics. The lounge in the evening was really good... again, easy to get drinks, and the service was outstanding. Dinner was either buffet, or ala carte, either french or italian most nights which was good. Our last night (saturday) we could choose from either the sushi restaurant or the fiesta that was going out outside.... since sushi is my favorite and the fiesta was fantastic, I have to admit I wasn't happy that this was the only night the sushi restaurant was open, I wanted to do both (and eventually did). The fiesta was fantastic. The hotel itself wasn't booked during the week, but the weekend completely changed with mexicans coming in for just the weekend. Overall very very happy with the resort, and fell in love with Ixtapa again! (Haven't been there for 15 years).

Other things to do... we walked down the beach to the right, my husband and I had massages $30 for the two of us.. hour long massage with the waves crashing in the background, awesome. Walked down to Carlos and You (formally Carlo's and Charlie's ) for a different venue, sat out and had a few cerveza's and the best guacamole ever. Went into Zhiwa for fishing.. not deep sea, not sure what you call it but it's closer in and it cost $160 for the panga boat (divided it up between 2 families). Caught a mahi mahi and brought it back to the presidente where they cooked it up for us at dinner and it was absolutely fantastic.. the cooks did an amazing job. Walked arouncd Zhiwa a bit. Also went to Ixtapa Island.. took a bus down there, hopped a water taxi and did some snorkeling, shopping, drinking beer on the beach, lots of fun. Also quick mention, we had a birthday for someone in our group while we were there and the resort was amazing.. getting us a small cake, getting us the best table at the restaurant, they really went above and beyond. Overall, a wonderful trip.
Special thanks to everyone who works there.. too many to mention (or remember), but Ernesto at the swim up bar, Carmen at the lounge, Abel with the restaurants, amazing service.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with ocean view.. ours was included in our price so we didn't have to upgr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Inter-Continental Presidente Ixtapa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for posting your comments in TA. Your feedback, very complete, is very important for us and for my team to improve day by day our level of service.

Ixtapa have the best sunset and from our rooms of the tower, it is the perfect spot to enjoy this very special moment of the day!!! Also Ixtapa is one of the best places in world for the Deep Sea fishing (sailfish, marlin, mahi mahi, tuna, and roosterfish) and if you are lucky our Chef will more than happy to prepare your catch of day!!!

We are very happy that you and your family enjoy our buffet, the food in general, the drinks and the service (one of our best skills). I take note about the sushi and we will open it more often during the week, Thank you for your suggestion!!!

We hope to welcome you and your family in a near future.

Best regards,