“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Puerta del Mar

Save Saved
You added Puerta del Mar to your Saves list
Puerta del Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de las Gaviotas, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 29 hotels in Ixtapa
elkton, md
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

It is not the most glamorous place, but its definitely comfortable, clean and the staff is nice.
The only problem was the 3 flights of stairs, the elevator didn't work half the time and when it did I was too scared to ride on it.
As much as I ate on my vacation the 3 flights were good for me! The pool and pool bar are just amazing, I couldve spent my entire vacation right there.
We will be staying there again next year!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

I stayed at Hotel Puerta del Mar on May 5-12, 2007. When we first got there, I was surprised to see how small the 1 bedroom was, so my husband asked if we could be upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, which they kindly did. The room made me feel like I was living with the Flinstones, because the walls were all cement. The room did not have the normal ambiance of a regular hotel suite. The room did have a mexican feel but it needs to be updated with a more modern decor. The staff was very nice and kind and catered to our every need. The hotel has the most beautiful landscaping, it was full of beautiful palm trees and flowers, which attracted all different kinds of colorful birds. I usually sat at the pool area and enjoyed the beautiful view. The pools were wonderful, my son spend hours in the pool. They had a small kiddy pool for children and there is where my son spent most of his time. I really did not mind staying there, only because we were not in the room long enough since we spent most of our time at the beach. Because we paid a very small fee to stay there, it helped us to accept the suite's cave like appearance . If you are a person, like my husband, who would like a more homey feel, then this is not the place for you. If you are like me a cheap scate, that just desires a place to lay your head, then this is a place for you.

• Liked — The Price
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Corcoran, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

We stayed at Puerta del Mar the week of Febuary 24, 2007. On a Scale of 1 to 10 I would rate them a "6". The rooms were clean but a little worn. The kitchen appliances were old. The refrigerator although working, was in need of minor repairs. Instead of a stovetop there was a plug-in two burner portable appliance on the counter that has seen better days. The beds were hard and the pillows were flat. The TV was about a 19" and didn't have many channels to choose from. We were pleased with the air conditioning units (one in the bedroom and another in the leaving room). They worked well. The grounds are well kepted so lounging by the pool was a nice experience. Overall, I think things could have been worse. I read other reviews prior to our stay and was expecting much worse. This resort was at least clean and not crowded and for us this is more important. The location was not bad either. We were directly across the street from shopping and restaurants which was very convenient. We went for walks on the beach every morning and the public beach access next to the Barcelo was about a 5-10 minute walk from our hotel. Although it may not be my first choice, I would stay here again because at least I know what to expect andf overall, it isn't that bad.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The kitchen appliances
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Loma Rica, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

Had a great week while staying here. Close to town center,(Bars and Restaurants), with shopping
and 2-blocks from the beach. Very clean and well manicured facility. Take an air mattress to put on top of the bed, unless you like a hard bed. It's not the Taj Mahal, but it's nice and quaint.
Restaurant had excellent authentic Mexican food, and prepared the fish that we caught. We difinitely recommend dinner at the El Faro, with a view of the Sun Set on the Ixtapa Beach.

The Leonards
Loma Rica, Ca

Stayed February 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

From the moment my sister, friend and I arrived we knew it wasn't going to be the kind of Mexico experience we were looking for. First off, the lock on the door of our room was impossible to open. It took a number of trips up and down to find a bell man who could help. This event happened continuously. We never did get the door opened on our own. The next day, the ancient elevator was broken and no word on when it would be repaired. Our room was on the 6th floor so it was a number of walks up the stairs and then back down. The breakfast in the small restaurant was horrible and expensive. The toast was soggy Wonder bread and the coffee was weak. The inside of the room was clean but musty smelling, hotter than you could imagine and just worn down . It's apparent that the rooms were not maintained. The shower was a drip so it was impossible to get the soap off your skin and there was no hot water. The floors had cracks in the tile. After the first night , I told my sister and friend I was going over to the Holiday Inn across the street to check out the rates. We ended up moving all of our things that afternoon. This place was great, with wonderful and helpful staff , great rooms and a full breakfast included. The price was right too. Out trip turned out to be delightful after a horrible experience at the Puerta Del Mar. Be warned!

• Liked — the room was clean and the housekeeper was nice
  • Disliked — old and not maintained
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2006

The hotel is a rustic one reflecting the stone/rock ruins nearby...its not what you think of typically but the people are charming, everything is within walking distance, acapulco is 6 hrs away by bus and..we loved the staff. Juan in particular is in charge of the trips in the local area. I highly recommend asking for the delfiniti trip if you love dolphins! if u need more info, id say to drop me a line

• Stayed May 2006
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

Puerta del Mar is a quiet, 6 floor hotel located about 10 minutes walking distance from the beach. It has a definite Mexican feel to it, so if you are looking more for an American-type luxury hotel, move on to the Barcelo or Presidente. These hotels are nicer and beachfront but very busy. For those that want to feel the Mexican culture, you may enjoy this place. The reception area is an outdoor palapa where the staff is nice and speak fairly decent English. There is a tour excursion desk which offers all the basic tours but they do not accept credit cards. There is a restaurant on premises that serves all meals and will do room service but we did not eat there.

The room that we stayed in was a timeshare 1 bedroom suite, with small kitchen, eating area and living room (converts to 2nd sleeping area) and 2 full bathrooms with a balcony overlooking the nice pool area. It does have A.C. and fans which can be loud...so bring earplugs if this bothers you. The master has a (hard) king size bed but there is an eggcrate on it, which helps a little. Pillows are flat and the towels are oversized, but not fluffy. There is 1 small TV in the living area with mostly Spanish channels, so do not expect CBS/NBC/HBO, etc. After all, we are in Mexico. If you are travelling with more than 2 people, the extra full bathroom and the "couch"-bed conversions were perfect for 4 people. The kitchen has a fridge, 2 electric burners, microwave, coffee pot, blender, etc. along with pots, plates, utensils, etc. On arrival, they did provide us with a 19L jug of bottled water which was very convenient and we were only charged $3 for it. There is a grocery store about a block away where you can buy eggs, fruits, milk, juices & other drinks, cereal, Mexican pastries, snacks, etc. for a decent price. There is a mini-mart on the premises, but it is MINI.

There are 3 nice, clean pools with a slide & hot tub with shaded palapas and beach chairs to lay out. The reception area provides beach towels. There is a playground for kids, volleyball net and 2 ping-pong tables.

Overall, this place was clean and staff was nice. Housekeepers come in everyday to clean but only change the sheets 2x/week. It is an adequate place to stay if you are not looking for luxury and not picky. I emphasize the Mexican feel again, so fair warning. The worse thing for me was the 10 min. walk to the beach, only because I spent much time there. All the restaurants and shopping are walking distance on the "main drag" so taxis are not necessary. Hope all this helped if you are planning a stay @ Puerta del Mar!

Been to Puerta del Mar? Share your experiences!