“This is a Mexican hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Puerta del Mar

You added Puerta del Mar to your Saves list
Puerta del Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de las Gaviotas, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Ixtapa
Friday Harbor, Washington
“This is a Mexican hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Mexican hotels aren't necessarily bad, as long as you know what you're getting into. First of all, you'd better know some Spanish, because almost none of the employees speak English, incl. front desk staff. When we were there, most of the guests were native Mexican, this hotel apparently caters to Mexican families.. The rooms were spacious and clean, but had quirks you generally find in Mexican hotels, like hard beds and questionable plumbing. The kitchen sink was not plumbed for hot water, I guess you wash dishes in the bathroom. The hotel is 6 stories tall, yet the elevator is nothing but a hole in the building, looks like it could be a while before that gets fixed. The swim-up bar sells ice cream to the kids, so expect to share your space with other peoples children.
On the plus side, the suites are large, with full kitchen (okay, no oven, and the stove is a 2-burner hotplate), 2 full bathrooms (although no tub), and a nice balcony overlooking the gorgeous, well-maintained grounds, with 2 pools, a restaurant with room service (do you speak Spanish?) and lounge (neither is air conditioned). Fortunately the rooms are very adequately air conditioned, because that's the only air conditioned space for blocks around. When we were there it was mid-90's and muggy. This property is not on the beach like most hotels in Ixtapa, beach access is within walking distance, but limited, the American-style hotels guard their beaches even from American tourists.
Rack rate for this place is $110/night, but we only paid $50/night. If you can get that kind of deal, and can get by in Spanish, and don't mind being 2 blocks from the beach, this hotel may work for you. We liked it just fine, but we're learning Spanish, and don't need to sit on a beach, the grounds of Puerta del Mar were perfect for us. Did I mention the birds? And the staff was very kind and understanding of our language-challenged attempts to communicate.
As for the shopping area across the street, it's a tourist oriented menage of cheap souvenirs, restaurants and bars, with a few upscale shops and a couple of grocery stores. This is NOT a Mexican town!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Houston Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

The hotel does not compare to the beach front hotels. It is more home like. More like authentic Mexico. The service was great. The prices were very down to earth. The garden about the pool is tropical and lush. The walk to the beach is about 500 yards. We drove to the beach but the beaches we went to required a drive. We went across the street to the Dorado Pacifico one day and ordered drinks at the swim up bar. 2 cervesas and a lemonade were $10 american. At the Puerta del Mar, every day was a happy hour with cervesas 2 for 1 at $2 each. The people you would meet at the pool were friendly and nice. We looked forward to the pool each evening. The rooms were kept clean daily by the staff who you get to know if you are there for a week. The staff was very friendly. If we go back, we will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

One of my friends children got hurt getting out of the pool, the Hotel Manager did come to assiste them but only to take them to the Marina Hospital, not knowing the language they were just left there. At this moment no one in the Hospital spoke english and the Maniger did not ask if they needed anymore help. On getting back to the hotel they then offered to call a Docter that can speek English. After all that we went through.. Well I will not ask friends to stay, If the Hotel Staff says they do not speek English.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Moscow, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

I don't know what type of experience other people were looking for when they stayed at this property by I found it to be a charming, wonderful hotel and location. It has a wonderful rustic feel with the adobe-like construction (not "Flintstone-y in any way). The staff were most cordial; the two pools the hotel offered were wonderful. The grounds surrounding the pool area were meticulously trimmed. The location of the property, away from the big resorts on the beach and their constantly blareing music was peaceful and relaxing. Also, a five minute walk to the Ixtapa shopping area meant you had scores of shops and restaurants to choose from. We even had a iguana nestled in the tree canopy out the back visit us each day. What a fun and delightful stay, a place we would definitely consider again.

Stayed November 2007
elkton, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

It is not the most glamorous place, but its definitely comfortable, clean and the staff is nice.
The only problem was the 3 flights of stairs, the elevator didn't work half the time and when it did I was too scared to ride on it.
As much as I ate on my vacation the 3 flights were good for me! The pool and pool bar are just amazing, I couldve spent my entire vacation right there.
We will be staying there again next year!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

I stayed at Hotel Puerta del Mar on May 5-12, 2007. When we first got there, I was surprised to see how small the 1 bedroom was, so my husband asked if we could be upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, which they kindly did. The room made me feel like I was living with the Flinstones, because the walls were all cement. The room did not have the normal ambiance of a regular hotel suite. The room did have a mexican feel but it needs to be updated with a more modern decor. The staff was very nice and kind and catered to our every need. The hotel has the most beautiful landscaping, it was full of beautiful palm trees and flowers, which attracted all different kinds of colorful birds. I usually sat at the pool area and enjoyed the beautiful view. The pools were wonderful, my son spend hours in the pool. They had a small kiddy pool for children and there is where my son spent most of his time. I really did not mind staying there, only because we were not in the room long enough since we spent most of our time at the beach. Because we paid a very small fee to stay there, it helped us to accept the suite's cave like appearance . If you are a person, like my husband, who would like a more homey feel, then this is not the place for you. If you are like me a cheap scate, that just desires a place to lay your head, then this is a place for you.

• Liked — The Price
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Corcoran, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

We stayed at Puerta del Mar the week of Febuary 24, 2007. On a Scale of 1 to 10 I would rate them a "6". The rooms were clean but a little worn. The kitchen appliances were old. The refrigerator although working, was in need of minor repairs. Instead of a stovetop there was a plug-in two burner portable appliance on the counter that has seen better days. The beds were hard and the pillows were flat. The TV was about a 19" and didn't have many channels to choose from. We were pleased with the air conditioning units (one in the bedroom and another in the leaving room). They worked well. The grounds are well kepted so lounging by the pool was a nice experience. Overall, I think things could have been worse. I read other reviews prior to our stay and was expecting much worse. This resort was at least clean and not crowded and for us this is more important. The location was not bad either. We were directly across the street from shopping and restaurants which was very convenient. We went for walks on the beach every morning and the public beach access next to the Barcelo was about a 5-10 minute walk from our hotel. Although it may not be my first choice, I would stay here again because at least I know what to expect andf overall, it isn't that bad.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The kitchen appliances
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends