“Beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Krystal Ixtapa

You added Krystal Ixtapa to your Saves list
Krystal Ixtapa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Ixtapa, s/n 4 y 4A Zona Hotelera, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Niles, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Nice, clean hotel. Amazing pool and beach. Beautiful, cared for grounds. Plants blooming, looked like a tropical paradise. Very cool swim up bar and tanning ledge. My family and i were very happy with the hotel. Food okay. My kids loved parasailing and the rock with slide/jump pad. Very happy I picked this hotel. Great vacation!

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view! Worth every penny
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello!!

We are glad to hear that you had a really good vacation on your stay here..hope to see you soon and do not forget that we are here to pamper you, we´re going to be waiting for you the next vacation... have a good day..

Thanks for your comments!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Although the people at the front desk at our check in were very kind and helpful the bell men were very reluctant at greeting us, let alone helping us with our luggage until the girl at the front desk asked them to. The room was large and thankfully although my reservation was an online deal rate we were given a nice view on a high floor. However the room furnishings were very old and the tv looked like a relic from the past century! It also looked very bad with a lot of interference. The bathroom was also large but again, it looks very old and they might want to add to the amenities hair conditioner and also a bath gel instead of soap. The cleanliness of the room I have no complaint, it was always done on time and they always left fresh towels and amenities daily. The buffet style restaurant for breakfast had a variety of different dishes every day and the service was also very good. As a suggestion they should consider adding cottage cheese for the fruit. However the service offered at the restaurant for lunch and dinner was awful. The quality of the dishes is poor, it's too greasy and the desserts have very poor taste and quality. But most importantly, the service! They have horrible service skills at this restaurant. The staff always looked angry and never offered a smile, greeting or help. The service at the snack bar by the pool was ok, but it also needs improvement in the attitude of the staff and also the bar by the pool. It seems that it's a self serve place because we always had to get our own drinks although there were waiters but they only seemed available and willing with the other guests that didn't have the all inclusive bracelet or the ones that gave them tips. In my opinion, the tips have to be earned not expected. For every 3 nights during your stay you are given a free dinner at the specialty restaurant Bogharts. I have to say the service was excellent and also the dish selection. The decor was beautiful and very romantic, you almost felt like if you were in Morocco and they also have live piano music. Overall it was an ok experience but I must say that this hotel wasn't my first choice. However I wouldn't come back maybe until they consider not only remodeling but giving the staff at the Food and Beverage department an intensive course on service. Also I have to add that the pool and beach areas have to be cleaned constantly especially if they know they will be having a busy week.

• Stayed July 2013
Good afternoon !!
Thanks for your suggestions... we really sorry that you didn´t have a great vacation staying with us... we´re working on it.. we hope you give us another chance to prove you our good service..

have a nice day and thanks again!!
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is good property with a great location on the beach. It is kept spotless when we were there. Food was good. Ate out at a lot of different locations alone the beach and in town. Not big drinkers and like to get off property and try different places. The beach is a nice brown sand vs the powder white in the Caribbean. Waves can get a little heavy and beat you up at times. Depends on what is off shore. Water is colder than the gulf and not the sea life as we were use to. Overall it good place for the west coast of Mexico. Like Cancun this was a resort area that was master planned from the ground up so everything is newer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello!!

Thanks for let us know you comments... we´re glad that you had a great vacation... we´ll be waiting for you the next time.
Have a nice day!!

Regards
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights May 31 – June 7. We did not personally pick this hotel. We were traveling with a group (on a missions trip) and this was a reasonably priced hotel for our stay. It provided a basic room, had A/C, and was clean. No one was expecting 5 star based on this understanding. (On a side note, this was our personal 8th trip to Mexico. This was our first visit to the Ixtapa region. All other trips were vacation only, and we tended to stay at all inclusive 4-5 star properties. This will give you an idea of my perspective.)

Positives:
-Clean rooms
-Excellent Pool area
-Fabulous walking beach
-Still located close to the main plaza area for shops/dining zone, perhaps a farther walk than more centrally located resorts like Fontan and Presidente.

Negatives:
-Weddings – the party lasts till 2am OR later and can be heard in MANY rooms. (It was beyond obnoxious and I sure hope they make tons of money off those events – albeit at the expense of irritating the remaining guests)
-They need to re-model ALL the rooms, not just some of them.
-Missing hair dryers and coffee packs (not sure if they would have provided had I asked)
-The AC was set on 18.5 C but never got less than 21C. However, others on our team said their rooms were PLENTY cool and were happy with their AC. (My guess is due to the room location, it gets too much sun to get all the way cooled down.)
-hardest beds I’ve ever slept on in Mexico.
-no wash cloths (small facial sized wash cloths.) They have very few, you can find if you ask, but they don’t stock in room and are hard to get replaced. Bring your own to be sure.

My initial impression was fairly good, the bell boys were very kind in their greeting. The front desk staff did their jobs, but I did not find them as hospitable as the bell boys. Certainly, they did the job, it just wasn’t as nice and welcoming as I was expecting.

Our check in guy promptly gave me room 1027 after I asked for the room to be far from the elevators and on a high floor. It was all the way in – the last room on the “inside” of the building, closest to the street/parking area. Still, this room was a nice size and had a good balcony, still had ocean view. I wanted it to work, I really did, but when my husband sat on the bed, he noticed an ant, then another and another and then realized there were lots of ants on the bed, that was it.

Now, I have traveled and have seen ants/small bugs in my rooms when traveling to the tropics, but I cannot tolerate them crawling all over the bedding. We walked back down to reception, the same guy gave me three options. First, he offered to have all the bedding pulled off and cleaned. (that didn’t make me comfortable enough). Second, I could look at room on garden view (2nd floor room 204 I think?) that had no view and had an overly strong musty odor. Or, pay $350 extra/$50 per night to upgrade to a jr suite on 4th floor room 409. Room 409 is at the very tip of the hotel, the most beachfront you can get. We decided to try to negotiate. Tried for $200 upgrade charge but ended up paying $250 for the 7 nights. Overall, this was worth it as the 2 balconies were great, awesome views, and nice to have a good sized living room. However, the room still had no hairdryer or coffee packet services. I never bothered to ask for these things, but if you “upgrade” you think those should have been there already.

***PLEASE NOTE, before you select or request the rooms toward the beach (rooms 409 – 412 or so or going the other way 408-405 ish?) ask if there is a wedding. If there is, I HIGHLY recommend NOT upgrading to junior suite. On Saturday night there was a wedding going on till past 2am, keeping many guests awake and there wasn’t anything they could do. It was horribly loud in our room 409 and I was just crying terribly because I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. I had earplugs in and still heard the DJ as clear as if he was shouting in the room.
We contacted the front desk at 10:50pm and they advised it was the nightly entertainment and would be done in 20 mins. At 11:30pm the hotel entertainment was done, but worse the DJ for wedding had kicked it into high gear. We called the front desk and Evaristo was kind enough to provide us access to room 223 which was plenty far from the wedding zone and we could get rest. Room 223 was located closer in, but was a basic hotel room. They didn’t even make us move our stuff from 409, which was really nice. I guess I would not have gotten to sleep that night at all if there would have been no other rooms available. Thankfully, no more weddings the rest of the week. Therefore, back in 409, we could then once again fall asleep listening to the sound of the waves crashing the shore, even with the doors closed! It was great after that!

Regarding the rooms, couple comments since we saw 3 of them –
room 223 was the basic hotel room. Bed, small/basic sitting area, small bathroom/basic hotel room style. Don’t think it was remodeled.
room 1027 was what I’d say a medium room category, as the bed was in a separated area from the sitting area. Small bathroom, but appeared remodeled.
Room 409 was the junior suite. Very large suite/large sitting area/large bed area/huge closet, but a basic sized bathroom, no bigger than the other rooms.

I think 1027 would have been quiet enough for us on the night when the wedding party was going on so late.

ALSO - you should expect the typical rusting, but the bathroom really could use a remodel. Had mold in a few spots (included pictures so judge for yourself if this will bother you.)

Other notes – We didn’t spend much time on property as we were doing work at a nearby seminary and working in other towns. However, the last day we did enjoy the fabulous pool – which in June was NOT cold, rather like warm bath water, but still refreshing. One afternoon, we had about 2 hours free time and also enjoyed the shade of the numerous beach palapas.
We did not get the AI plan, never ate at the restaurants. Always dined off property, so we can’t comment on the dining options offered. ( I will post restaurant reviews for places that are on the list soon, and also see my recent post 6/14/13 in the forum.)
There are 2 computers available in the lobby if needed, just check with front desk for them to get it pulled up/unlocked.

If I was just on a personal vacation, not on a missions trip, I think I’d be looking for a little bit more higher-end hotel than Krystal. If we returned to the area, we’d probably select an upgraded hotel overall. However, this place is a solid 3 star and a very reasonable option for a budget-minded traveler. It worked out GREAT for our missions team and everyone thought it was a great place to stay for the money and especially compared to past visits at less desirable properties/less clean down the strip.

Other notes:
-wifi was spotty (which I think is typical, always depending on how busy the hotel was/probably not enough bandwidth to support) HOWEVER, it was FREE so you can’t beat that!

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place, Krystal can work. Their pool area looks to be one of the best. As others have said, just don’t go and expect 5 star and you should be pleasantly surprised. PS, if you know Spanish, it will help a lot in this area!!

Room Tip: If you want a jr suite that is near the end (room 409), make sure there is not a wedding, The DJ goe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hello!!

Thanks for your suggestions... we really sorry that you didn´t have a great vacation staying with us... we´re working on it and we hope you give us another chance to prove you our good service..

I really hope to see you again!!

Have a nice day..
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Krystal earlier this month and it is our 6th time staying there. They ahve rennovated most of the rooms and they are nice. If you get an old one, they are not so nice, but this year, we just asked them to move us and they were happy to accomodate. The pool and the beach are fantastic and the staff are awesome. Jose, Annabel, Martha and Jesus are fantastic and they always provide us with great service. While we ususally eat dinner in down every day, the lunch menu is great and the chicken tacos are really great. The Krystal has gotten some bad reviews, but I suspect it is someone expecting a 5 star hotel which it is not. But it is a great hotel for the value and it is is clean and the pool and staff are awesome, so give them a try

Room Tip: For a great view of the ocean try 711, 811 or 911
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Liceth D, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hello !!

Thanks for let us know your comments about the service, we´re glad to hear that you spent a good vacations here, we like to pamper you so we´re going to be waiting for you the next vacation... have a good day..

Best Regards
Winona, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

7th time in Ixtapa and not disappointed with the Krystal. It was just what my daughters and I wanted for R&R. Excellent service pool side(Jesus) as well as for meals. Bogarts (which we went to twice) was amazing! Did have an issue with an employee not recognizing his boundaries with my daughter but felt the hotel took it very serious and security took care of the issue immediately.Not much for activities but again,this was not our expectation. Well Worth the cost of the trip

Room Tip: We were in Rm 611-beautiful view,no issues with the elevator
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello!

Thanks for let us know your comments, we are sorry for the issue you had, but happy because we knew how to handle it, hope to see you the next vacation.. have a good day!!

Best Regards
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Me and my husband spent 4 nights at the Krystal in Ixtapa. My third time
back to Ixtapa. We did not want to do an All Inclusive since we knew there
were so many fun places to eat and so easy to get around. However, we
compared the All Inclusive rate with the European Rate and realized that
the All Inclusive would end up saving us money, since we like to eat breakfast
at the hotel, we enjoy cocktails during the day while enjoying the beach and pool,
and would probably end up eating our lunches also at the hotel on most nights,
and maybe 1 dinner the day we arrive. We were very happy we did this.
The hotel is older, however the room was quite nice. We were on the 11th floor
and the views was fabulous. Favorite thing about the hotel is that it is not too large
and everything faces the ocean. You can see the ocean, in the very quaint
breakfast restaurant/outdoor restaurant. If you are hanging by the pool there was
a lot of areas to sit where you could still see the ocean, and plenty of chairs
and palapas on the beach. The main buffet for lunch and dinner also had an
incredible ocean view. There was no swim up bar, but I enjoyed the beach bar
again over looking the ocean, but also next to the pool, with plenty of bar stools.
The drinks were very good, and was surprised by how good the service was
including getting served on the beach and by the pool. Could not have asked
for better service. The breakfast and lunch buffets were not huge, but then again
this is not a 5 star, so I was not anticipated huge buffets. They were very fresh,
and tasty, and had a nice enough variety. We also used our Ala Cart dinner
at Bogarts which was included in the All Inclusive, and was pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it. I am not much for eating indoors when going to Mexico, but really enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, and the wine. The lobby/sports bar was fine, had pool tables,
and a little tiny outdoor patio area. The grounds were well kept up, and the pool was
nicely heated, and was pretty nice. Definitely I would recommend this hotel.
Highlight of our trip, was we took a 5/10 minute bus ride to the Las Brisas Hotel.
(you could walk too), and went to their Lobby Bar, which has the most fabulous SunSet
views. They had Happy Hour from 6-7pm, with 2 for 1 drinks, peanuts, great service,
and Wow, the Sunset was fabulous. Definitely would recommend this!

Room Tip: All rooms are suppose to have ocean view, however the higher up you go, the better the view. I am...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello!

Glad to hear you spent a good vacation here in Krystal Ixtapa hotel, you are who makes us to do such a good job, we are here just for you, to attend you, let us pamper you... thanks for your comments about the service..

Regards

Been to Krystal Ixtapa? Share your experiences!